Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

cycling home this evening through donnybrook, guy on the other side wearing a full on Saints helmet, about 5 people stopped to watch aswell.
    No idea how he was able to see where he was going it was bobbling all over the place.

Mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

eagle eye wrote: »
    Last season Eli Manning had a 6.1 yard average with a 61.6% completion rate for 3468 yards with 19 tds and 13 ints over 15 games.
    Bortles averaged 7 yards per pass with a 60.2% completion record for 3687 yards with 21 tds and 13 ints.

Also Manning had OBJ for four games, he had Shepard, Marshall and Engram.

Bortles had Marquise Lee, he had an injured Allen Hurns for 10 games and then a bunch of nobodies. Allen Robinson missed the whole year.

One is on the slide and the other has improved. You stick with Bortles if you have the choice.

Cousins is a talented QB and would almost certainly improve the Jags but they have no chance of keeping any of the star players on that defense if they pay him the money. Their best option is to draft a QB this year and again next year if it doesn't work out.
    Bortles had good talent around him last year - I wouldn't go calling Leonard Fournette a nobody and they have depth there in Yeldon and Ivory, and he had a better line. Having perhaps the best running game in the league makes life a lot easier for a QB, rather than the 7th-worst Manning had, especially when in the lead very often with the league's second best defense for points allowed (easily #1 when you factor in defensive TDs) and the third highest turnover percentage and second most takeaways total to help field position, as opposed the defense with the 7th most points allowed and ranking bottom 10 in turnovers and turnover percentage. This is why Eli was just 10 pass attempts off most in the league last year (3rd total) despite missing a game and the Giants had the fourth highest pass play ratio of offense, while Bortles wasn't in the top 10 for attempts and the Jags had the lowest pass play ratio in the entire league.

Keelan Cole was also more impressive last year than any Giants player on offense.

The Giants were a complete mess last season - the 2009 Vikings could easily have said the same about a 39/40 year old Brett Favre after his season with the Jets before that, and that is what Manning would basically be doing in Jacksonville, game managing, giving ample experience, and making the big plays when needed under pressure (like some of those third downs late vs the Pats). That said, Eli being 38 vs 36 does change the situation somewhat there. Especially as the Jags don't appear to have any particularly important players up for FA this year or next (bar Lee/Robinson at WR, so keep one and let the other go most likely).

I do agree though if they don't manage to land Cousins and since they passed on Smith that a QB in the first 3-4 rounds (pref. 1st or 2nd if someone falls to them) is something they can't look beyond. But to say a team with a star QB cannot have any star players elsewhere on the field is incorrect - it would make the cap situation a hell of a lot more difficult but that can be managed around and a QB is more important than any other position. By the looks of it, their current cap space for 2018 is actually just over $30mn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How about Bortles made Keelan Cole look better than the average player that he is.

Also you are now defending Eli by blaming the players around him. How good was the Jags line is pass protection last season? Not very is the answer but Bortles still did a decent enough job. In the playoffs he was even better and in the AFCCG he was sacked three times which ultimately cost them the game.

How about Bortles made Keelan Cole look better than the average player that he is.
    Well then we'll just say that about every WR Manning has, won't we? And how come we've not seen Bortles make all his other options look this good?

Also to add, Keelan Cole had the second highest YAC per catch of any WR or TE with 40+ catches in the entire league.
    Also you are now defending Eli by blaming the players around him.
    Yeah, I don't subscribe to this "an NFL team is a QB + 52" concept... of course the players around the QB matter. That was actually one of the main points of your last post? :confused:
    How good was the Jags line is pass protection last season? Not very is the answer
    Fifth best as per FO - http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol . There was quite a bit noted by journalists and commentators last year about their improvement.
    but Bortles still did a decent enough job.
    He did, the improved offensive line that got a good deal of attention last year also helped, but getting out of the pocket to scramble is one area Bortles has been underrated in his career.
    In the playoffs he was even better and in the AFCCG he was sacked three times which ultimately cost them the game.
    Meanwhile, what actuallyt cost them the game was changing their coverages late on which Brady was able to take advantage in a huge way, and the run game getting stuffed forcing Bortles to keep up without a dominating run game, which he wasn't able to do.

Against the Steelers he had 214 passing yards and 1 TD... not bad, but that's not why his team put up 45 points.

Against the Bills... well how quickly some forget. His 88 scrambling yards made much of the difference in the end, but he only had 87 passing all game.

Let's not pretend he had some excellent showing in the playoffs. He did decent, and like much of the season better than was expected for sure, but he was not close to anything special and the team around him is what was winning the Jags games this year (because yes, it is a team sport).

In the playoffs he was even better has been turned into excellent by you. In fact a lot of what I say gets hyperbole treatment by you.

It's pointless continuing to try and discuss this with you.

Iv never been elis biggest fan but right now he's a better qb than bortles at least with him you can throw the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

In the playoffs he was even better has been turned into excellent by you. In fact a lot of what I say gets hyperbole treatment by you.

So three games > 16 games or maybe the past 3 seasons before.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Foxtrol wrote: »
    2018 4th & 2019 2nd for Peters & 2018 6th.

If I managed to get that trade from the Rams POV in Madden I would be delighted. Bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Shedite27

From Twitter:

Bortles turns 26 in April, has 90 TD's and 14,900 passing yards.

Only 4 QB's in history have surpassed that by age 26:
    Peyton, Bledsoe, Marino, Stafford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Guffy

Iv never been elis biggest fan but right now he's a better qb than bortles at least with him you can throw the ball

Really? What of last years stats tell you this? I mean Eli has been in decline for a number of years tbf. Last year he had more passing attempts than bortles yet finished up with less yards.

Bortles certainly isn't GOAT but it is nonsense to suggest that a weakening Eli would give the Jags a better chance at a superbowl when Bortles got them to a championship game and but for some suspect play calling could have gotten them to the superbowl. The loss to thr Pats fall squarely at the coaches feet, not Bortles.

Sorry i should probably say they got there with bortles rather than he brough them there.

Guffy wrote: »
    Really? What of last years stats tell you this? I mean Eli has been in decline for a number of years tbf. Last year he had more passing attempts than bortles yet finished up with less yards.

Bortles certainly isn't GOAT but it is nonsense to suggest that a weakening Eli would give the Jags a better chance at a superbowl when Bortles got them to a championship game and but for some suspect play calling could have gotten them to the superbowl. The loss to thr Pats fall squarely at the coaches feet, not Bortles.

Sorry i should probably say they got there with bortles rather than he brough them there.

I don't like the coaching staff either but at the very least a team would be comfortable with letting Eli sling it. Bortles has been hurt by the "scheme" but the flip side of it is defences play the jags run game with very heavy defensive sets a decent composed qb will make them at least stay honest and bortles has never really shown the ability to do that.

I think at this stage an Eli that could lean on the run game a bit heavier would be decent which is an upgrade on what we have seen so far. Bortles had a decent playoff it was brutal last year (and those stats are skewed because I believe he has a historical amount of yards when defences are playing prevent.

The long and short of it is bortles may do ok in a different situation but for this team right now I think elis a better fit (and I have only ever thought him and average qb)

You know, when I initially read your post arguing that Bortles is better than Manning by using statistics I nearly spat out my coffee, but decided to let it slide and take you at face value. Since you now want to go down this route let me ask you, what changed so dramatically in your outlook on the sport since October?
    Stats can be used to big up or put down anybody. I've seen people pick out specific ones to prove that Tom Brady is not as good as people suggest. You put a few in your post there that could be used to do the same with Aaron Rodgers.
    Please quit with the stats to back up your argument. I've seen with my own eyes how bad Kaepernick has been.
    Exactly, Rodgers is far better than any of those three I mentioned ever were. I was just pointing out how useless stats are.

Much like your attempts to write the Jags offensive line from last year as "not very good" (incorrect) and attempting to write off their skill players (also shown incorrect) while in the very next post going on to state "Also you are now defending Eli by blaming the players around him", you have a habit of this.

I sometimes wonder if you're contrarian just for the sake of it, like when you were outright mocking me as "drunk or on drugs" for saying I would have guys like Terrell Owens, Torry Holt or Isaac Bruce getting into the hall of fame ahead of Hines Ward who you weren't willing to entertain as anything but "a lock" for the 2017 class. How's that working out?

So yeah, it is pointless continuing to discuss something with someone so willing to speak out both sides of their mouth on the same subject.

All the best in your future endeavours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Lads I wanna start playing NFL

Is there anywhere in Dublin/Ireland? How do you go about it?

Itherea and Irish game thread stickied at the top of the forum your better off asking there. Dublin has 4-5 teams it depends where you are living

A friend of mine played on the Dublin Rebels for a few years, they've got a FB page and he generally found them very inviting when he joined. Met one or two of them out randomly down the years, only once or twice but they seemed fairly sound lads.

Here you go - http://www.dublinrebels.com/join

• Advertisement

Thanks lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭conor222

Where abouts in dublin are you based? Theres a good number of teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bridgewater hitting free agency.

Big if, but if he can stay fit someone will get a bargain there.

Paully D wrote: »
    Bridgewater hitting free agency.

Big if, but if he can stay fit someone will get a bargain there.

Didn't expect that, figured Keenum or if it was a money thing Bradford, was going to to. He's probably going to be on a low figure, if he's thinking long term Jacksonville might actually be his best bet and surely they'd have to have interest in him and Bortles fighting for the #1 spot?

Billy86 wrote: »
    Didn't expect that, figured Keenum or if it was a money thing Bradford, was going to to. He's probably going to be on a low figure, if he's thinking long term Jacksonville might actually be his best bet and surely they'd have to have interest in him and Bortles fighting for the #1 spot?

The talk now is that they’re considering letting all 3 go and going all in on Cousins. If true, they’ll have had the green light on Cousins’ interest from his camp you’d imagine.

• Advertisement

Please stop, I'm trying to ignore any and all possibility of that happening. :(

conor222 wrote: »
    Where abouts in dublin are you based? Theres a good number of teams

I live in city centre, work in sandyford, family home in north county dublin so pretty much north, central or south county dublin suits :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,148 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Ziggy Ansah got the franchise tag

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

paulie21 wrote: »
    Ziggy Ansah got the franchise tag

Distinct lack of edge rushers making it to FA. I know they’re always highly coveted, but this could see teams reaching even more so for the top guys in the draft.

Billy86 wrote: »
    You know, when I initially read your post arguing that Bortles is better than Manning by using statistics I nearly spat out my coffee, but decided to let it slide and take you at face value. Since you now want to go down this route let me ask you, what changed so dramatically in your outlook on the sport since October?

Much like your attempts to write the Jags offensive line from last year as "not very good" (incorrect) and attempting to write off their skill players (also shown incorrect) while in the very next post going on to state "Also you are now defending Eli by blaming the players around him", you have a habit of this.

I sometimes wonder if you're contrarian just for the sake of it, like when you were outright mocking me as "drunk or on drugs" for saying I would have guys like Terrell Owens, Torry Holt or Isaac Bruce getting into the hall of fame ahead of Hines Ward who you weren't willing to entertain as anything but "a lock" for the 2017 class. How's that working out?

So yeah, it is pointless continuing to discuss something with someone so willing to speak out both sides of their mouth on the same subject.

All the best in your future endeavours.
    Well I don't have the time or the inclination to go over your posts and prove something similar but I'm sure it wouldn't take too long if I was willing to put in the effort.

Fact of the matter is that Eli Manning has been on the slide consistently for quite a few years now. Blake Bortles improved last season so it'd make no sense to go after Eli Manning and dump Bortles.

It makes a lot more sense to go and draft a QB to challenge Bortles and if it doesn't work out then go again next year too.

Your opinion of yourself is quite high it seems, I don't see things the same way as you but I've always felt that gamblers have this habit of believing that they know more than everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

The NFL (Goodell and the owners) want Jerry Jones to reimburse legal fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

You know its the off season when there is a Blake Bortles Eli Manning debate :pac:

Just got myself Madden 18

Many on here play? Hooked already :)

As I'm relatively new to NFL (18 months) it's really helping me understand some of the nuances of the game you wouldn't normally notice during an actual game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

As I'm relatively new to NFL (18 months) it's really helping me understand some of the nuances of the game you wouldn't normally notice during an actual game

It's a very enjoyable game. Still would have NFL 2k5 (I think it was) as my favourite, followed closely by Madden 08. Two awesome games.

I definitely think it helps with the understanding, even just becoming used to formations. I know in the Longshot story there is a part where you are quizzed to identify positions/formations/scenarios by one of the coaches, nothing crazy in depth but still good for people wanting to learn more.

Easily my biggest regret of having a PC and not a console, getting a loan of Madden 2002 off a friend was what got me into the sport. Got quite a shock when the next season started and I found out scrambling for 300 yards every game with Michael Vick isn't what wins games. :(

• Advertisement

Hmmm....

https://twitter.com/rosterwatch/status/968857846212415488?s=21

A bit dinosaur-ish really. No harm in using the old school way, but I think you have to start heavily implementing the data/analytics side of things these days.

Considering what the Raiders have paid and given up to get him in, he will have to have a lot of success for it to be seen as a good move, so I could see us looking back in a couple of years saying that maybe the game has passed him by a little?

There’s actually even a Madden forum on Boards mate.

It’s dead now, but a few years back we used to run online franchise modes with 32 human controlled teams. All playing the games, doing trades etc. Some fantastic nights on here with that.

Unfortunately, the switchover to Xbox One/PS4 killed it off. Ah, good times. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I know it is a novelty bet but come on. The coin toss could have a decent impact on the both teams, especially with sides potentially looking to move up

https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/968868080091910144

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

So
    1) mohammed wilkerson cut by the Jets - wasn't a surprise
    2) matt forte retires - not very surprising
    3) jonathon stewart released in Carolina - expected as they look to breathe new life into their skill positions and get McCaffrey as the feature work horse..
    4) Shazier unlikley to play in 2018 - thats tough on they guy for sure.

agh the post season gets under way ;)

Wilkerson completely mailed it in after signing the big deal it seems. Reports now that he was constantly late for meetings if he bothered to turn up at all.

He would have pocketed another nearly $20m if he had managed to stay on the roster until mid-March too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭letowski

Dolphins are bringing Jarvis Landry to the combine in an effort to trade him. From reports I think they are looking at trading him and their 11th overall pick for a very high draft pick in order to get a QB. Colts and Browns are being mentioned. Jarvis Landry reportedly wants to be the highest paid receiver in the league. As good as he is I wouldn't want to give him that much money, he is just a slot receiver more or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Heard the other day that Ndamukong Suh is going to the 3rd highest cap hit (at $26m) this coming season. Always thought he was hugely over paid. Must be a trade candidate for anyone with the space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Paully D wrote: »
    Wilkerson completely mailed it in after signing the big deal it seems. Reports now that he was constantly late for meetings if he bothered to turn up at all.

He would have pocketed another nearly $20m if he had managed to stay on the roster until mid-March too!

yeah he missed countless meetings and each time he had a more ridiculous excuse than the last! Bowles straight up benched him for it towards the end of the season. I dont think theres a single Jets fan sorry to see him go!

letowski wrote: »
    Dolphins are bringing Jarvis Landry to the combine in an effort to trade him. From reports I think they are looking at trading him and their 11th overall pick for a very high draft pick in order to get a QB. Colts and Browns are being mentioned. Jarvis Landry reportedly wants to be the highest paid receiver in the league. As good as he is I wouldn't want to give him that much money, he is just a slot receiver more or less.

I would Love Landry on the Pats but agree he is overpriced if they expect to get a top 11 pick for him. Smells of desperation by the Dolphins and it could leave them with a horrible deal for him. If I was a team in the market for Landry and in the Top 11 I would give them my Top 11 pick for Landry and their 1st Pick and tell them take it or leave it. Looking at the teams in the Top 11 they wont get the trade they want without sweetening the deal on top of Landry.

• Advertisement

phatkev wrote: »
    yeah he missed countless meetings and each time he had a more ridiculous excuse than the last! Bowles straight up benched him for it towards the end of the season. I dont think theres a single Jets fan sorry to see him go!

Would love the Pats to take a shot on him. See if we can convince him to give us 1 more year of the old Wilkerson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Would love the Pats to take a shot on him. See if we can convince him to give us 1 more year of the old Wilkerson

give him a sh1tty 1 year contract and you'll get great play from him. Just make sure your not the team to give him his next big contract!!

phatkev wrote: »
    give him a sh1tty 1 year contract and you'll get great play from him. Just make sure your not the team to give him his next big contract!!

Let be honest the Pats only ever pay sh1t contracts :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Wilkerson is too much like Albert Haynesworth to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭letowski

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    I would Love Landry on the Pats but agree he is overpriced if they expect to get a top 11 pick for him. Smells of desperation by the Dolphins and it could leave them with a horrible deal for him. If I was a team in the market for Landry and in the Top 11 I would give them my Top 11 pick for Landry and their 1st Pick and tell them take it or leave it. Looking at the teams in the Top 11 they wont get the trade they want without sweetening the deal on top of Landry.

Landry is taylormade for the NE offense but is a very much move the chains type receiver than a big time playmaker. He is not worth $16-17mil a year for me, but he is a very good productive player.

He is a bit of an egnima to me. He is undoubtedly really talented. I read these two tweets today though, that 'Danny Amendola had more 20+ yard plays in the playoffs that Landry did in the entire season' and that 'he averages 7.7 yards per catch which ranks 131st among pass catchers who’ve caught enough passes to qualify.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

letowski wrote: »

Money is no option for the Browns. It might make sense for them to get Landry and the Dolphins pick for their fourth pick.

• Advertisement

D9Male wrote: »
    Money is no option for the Browns. It might make sense for them to get Landry and the Dolphins pick for their fourth pick.

Itl take more than that to get from 11 to 4 particularly with the number of qbs in this draft

D9Male wrote: »

Can't see the Browns giving up either pick for him. They have more pressing needs and besides they will still expect the trade be stacked also. Then again it is the Browns....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Colts moving on from Gore. Preparing for Barkley??? Browns need to take the best player on the board at number 1 now. That’s Barkley.

gstack166 wrote: »
    Colts moving on from Gore. Preparing for Barkley??? Browns need to take the best player on the board at number 1 now. That’s Barkley.

Ya that's not happening that reeks of hot take

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement