Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAP CARD - Updated Summary of Cards/Functionality Available - September 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭Trampas

Hi.

I was trying to top my leap card online yesterday but says I need to Load location - Payzone 'Leap Card' Agent

Should it not go directly on the card from the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Trampas wrote: »
    Hi.

I was trying to top my leap card online yesterday but says I need to Load location - Payzone 'Leap Card' Agent

Should it not go directly on the card from the website?

I'm to quote the relevant section of my original post again:
    lxflyer wrote: »
    TOPPING UP LEAP CARD E-PURSE

The LEAP card e-purse can be topped up a number of different ways:
    • At one of over 400 Payzone LEAP card agents around Dublin and also in Cork
    • At any LUAS ticket machine
    • At any Irish Rail ticket machine in the Short Hop Zone
    • Online at www.leapcard.ie - Note that this option requires you to subsequently visit your nominated "load location" to physically load the top-up amount onto the card
    • Via Auto top-up - this is the easiest way of topping up the card. It automatically tops up your Leap Card with funds from your bank account, whenever your Travel Credit balance falls below €10. You can choose to Auto Top-Up by €30.00, €40.00 or €50.00. Note that this requires your card to be registered on the LEAP website and a direct debit to be set up.

For the card to physically know that you have topped it up online, it has to touch a "live" terminal, which is any payzone agent, an Irish Rail ticket machine, or a LUAS ticket machine - you nominate which one of these you want.

The Dublin Bus ticket machines are not "live" terminals as that would require more memory space than they are physically capable of.

There's no magic way of sending the information of how much you top up a card directly from your computer to the card through the air unfortunately - it needs to touch a live terminal. In other places this is easier due to there being far more rail stations across the cities, but we don't have that luxury unfortunately.

However, auto top-up does allow the card to be topped up automatically without going near an agent, and will automatically top up the card once the balance goes below €10, by either €30, €40 or €50 - it does require you to set up a direct debit and to register the card. Follow the link in my quoted post above for more information.

I'm to quote the relevant section of my original post again:

[/LIST]
    For the card to physically know that you have topped it up online, it has to touch a "live" terminal, which is any payzone agent, an Irish Rail ticket machine, or a LUAS ticket machine - you nominate which one of these you want.

The Dublin Bus ticket machines are not "live" terminals as that would require more memory space than they are physically capable of.

There's no magic way of sending the information of how much you top up a card directly from your computer to the card through the air unfortunately - it needs to touch a live terminal. In other places this is easier due to there being far more rail stations across the cities, but we don't have that luxury unfortunately.

However, auto top-up does allow the card to be topped up automatically without going near an agent, and will automatically top up the card once the balance goes below €10, by either €30, €40 or €50 - it does require you to set up a direct debit and to register the card. Follow the link in my quoted post above for more information.

I'm on bus Éireann and not near Luas or train station. Need to find a shop. That's crazy

I'm on bus Éireann and not near Luas or train station. Need to find a shop. That's crazy

Well unless you have a magic wand, there's no other way of putting the money onto the card.

It has to touch a live terminal.

Go to www.payzone.ie to find a list of stores.

As I said above if you opt for auto top-up you won't have this problem.

Well unless you have a magic wand, there's no other way of putting the money onto the card.

It has to touch a live terminal.

Go to www.payzone.ie to find a list of stores.

As I said above if you opt for auto top-up you won't have this problem.

It's bad development. No magic wand needed just people who know what they are doing

• Advertisement

It's bad development. No magic wand needed just people who know what they are doing

You may want to tell that to all the other operators around the world that have the same problem.

Oyster in London for example operates exactly the same way.

You have to physically touch a live terminal.

How else is the information going to get onto your card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    My daughter will be traveling to ITT from Sandyford and back each day what is the best option for her .

Every terminal should be a live one.

If you do auto top up how does that work if you don't need to go to a live terminal

If you do auto top up how does that work if you don't need to go to a live terminal

Well as I pointed out above, the same applies in London. Buses are not live there either. Yet people there seem to cope.

I think people need to be realistic in their expectations - neither the companies nor the NTA are awash with cash and this system is being implemented on a phased basis. There are plans for new ticketing equipment in the latter half of next year which may solve this issue.

If autotop-up is set up for a particular card, then a topup is triggered when your balance goes below €10. The card will automatically update, and the direct debit triggered (if you're using the bus) when the ticket machine data is downloaded that night.

If the direct debit subsequently fails, then your card will be automatically blocked.

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi
    My daughter will be traveling to ITT from Sandyford and back each day what is the best option for her .

Assuming she is using the 75 each way then she should get a student travelcard. Then she has two options:

1) Use the epurse - the fares will cap at €5 per day or €20 per week (Monday-Sunday); or

2) Load a 5 day or 30 day student rambler ticket onto it (5 day - €20; 30 day - €100). These are non-consecutive days and the tickets remain valid for at least 12 months.

These fares/caps are valid on Dublin Bus only.

If she uses the LUAS as well then the epurse will cap at €7.50 per day or €30 per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

I love glib comments like this from people who have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. There are several reasons why public transport doesn't do online auth:

1. You need far more expensive terminals at every gate of every train station and on every bus. The current ones are relatively simple and cheap to build.

2. You need perfect connectivity absolutely everywhere. No black spots near bridges, between tall buildings, no interference from any nearby devices - perfection everywhere because those awkward buses keep moving about.

3. You need a wireless network with almost no latency (sub 300ms round trip) and which never has any downtime, even at midnight on NYE when the network is collapsing under the weight of a million text messages and snapchats celebrating New Years.

4. You need servers that respond instantly (sub 50ms) every time.

5. You need software that never fails to respond and never responds with an error.

Without all that, you have people stuck trying to get through turnstiles or holding up a queue of people trying to board a bus. You have pissed off passengers who don't understand why they have to tap several times, why sometimes it takes longer than others and why sometimes, it just doesn't work.

If you can solve all of those problems in a cost effective way, I'm sure the people running -every other smartcard based transit ticketing system in the world- would love to meet you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The terminals aren't technically live. They receive a batch of information, or transmit information in batches. Some more regularly during the day than others.

The validators on DB are unable to hold such a batch, due to the low memory on their devices.

It's a simple problem, but with a costly solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean9015

Well why don't you take it up with the NTA? They are the people who have instigated the simplification of the tickets available.

Anyone discommoded can avail of weekly capping on LEAP, which is what I suspect the NTA are trying to get people to migrate to, rather than having a huge range of prepaid tickets.

I suspect that the transport companies' staff have far better things to do than worry about people's employment status.

So n on-taxsaver travellers, who previously bought monthly tickets, can now effectively only have weekly capping? Potentially a big increase in cost for them so. Not doubting you, but seems like a hidden fare increase to me.

Sean9015 wrote: »
    So n on-taxsaver travellers, who previously bought monthly tickets, can now effectively only have weekly capping? Potentially a big increase in cost for them so. Not doubting you, but seems like a hidden fare increase to me.

It depends on the ticket, but some have marginally increased in cost while others have marginally decreased in cost.

There certainly wasn't a "big increase" in cost.

Annual tickets are still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Probably a very stupid question but sure, isn't the stupid question the one not asked? :P

I have a student travelcard, topped up with a 5 day Rambler. The OP says that student fares are capped on DB at €5 per day. Does that mean I cannot spend more than €5 worth of bus fares before it charges me extra (which defeats the purpose of a rambler IMO), or that no matter how many fares I use in a day, it won't go over €5 (if that even makes sense)?

Also, it was mentioned that with a rambler you tag in the bus at the scan point on the right hand side to use up a day. But if I am only going to use one journey that day I can avoid using up a whole day if I tag on at the driver's scan point?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

rawn wrote: »
    Probably a very stupid question but sure, isn't the stupid question the one not asked? :P

I have a student travelcard, topped up with a 5 day Rambler. The OP says that student fares are capped on DB at €5 per day. Does that mean I cannot spend more than €5 worth of bus fares before it charges me extra (which defeats the purpose of a rambler IMO), or that no matter how many fares I use in a day, it won't go over €5 (if that even makes sense)?

Also, it was mentioned that with a rambler you tag in the bus at the scan point on the right hand side to use up a day. But if I am only going to use one journey that day I can avoid using up a whole day if I tag on at the driver's scan point?

If you want to use the epurse and not a day off the rambler ticket, then use the driver's machine. If you want to use a day from your rambler then use the righthand machine.

Using the epurse on a student LEAP card you will not pay more than €5 in a day, or €20 in any given Monday-Sunday period.

To use a day of a 5 day rambler ticket will cost you €4, and a day from the 30 day ticket will cost you €3.33.

Ramblers suit more occasional users who can stump up for the ticket up front.

Epurse suits those who prefer to pay as they go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brigantes

So I'm getting a Bus Eireann Tax Saver ticket for the first time this year. They've gone over to the Zonal Leap Card, fair enough. Zone 2 to Dublin, that makes sense.

Daft question, but how does it work? I get on and ask for what? A day return, a 7 day ticket or a 30 day ticket? Do I have to present my Leap Card on every single trip or does the bus driver print me out a ticket?

How does the top up thing work? According to the blurb, "Once you have received your Leap Card with your initial Taxsaver product, your employer will continue to renew your monthly or annual Taxsaver product as at present. However instead of receiving a new card each time, you will now go to any Payzone Leap Card agent where you will present your card to the instore validator where your Taxsaver product will be loaded onto your card."

So I go into Spar and do what each month?

Thanks.

Brigantes wrote: »
    So I'm getting a Bus Eireann Tax Saver ticket for the first time this year. They've gone over to the Zonal Leap Card, fair enough. Zone 2 to Dublin, that makes sense.

Daft question, but how does it work? I get on and ask for what? A day return, a 7 day ticket or a 30 day ticket? Do I have to present my Leap Card on every single trip or does the bus driver print me out a ticket?

How does the top up thing work? According to the blurb, "Once you have received your Leap Card with your initial Taxsaver product, your employer will continue to renew your monthly or annual Taxsaver product as at present. However instead of receiving a new card each time, you will now go to any Payzone Leap Card agent where you will present your card to the instore validator where your Taxsaver product will be loaded onto your card."

So I go into Spar and do what each month?

Thanks.

As you are getting a taxsaver ticket, shortly before the month end it will be ready for loading onto the LEAP card.

To do that you go into your payzone agent before the end of the month and ask them to do a balance enquiry.

By doing that, it will load the new ticket each month onto the card.

When getting onto the bus, you just place your card onto the ticket machine and the driver will see you have a pass. You don't ask for anything as the ticket is already on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brigantes

As you are getting a taxsaver ticket, shortly before the month end it will be ready for loading onto the LEAP card.

To do that you go into your payzone agent before the end of the month and ask them to do a balance enquiry.

By doing that, it will load the new ticket each month onto the card.

When getting onto the bus, you just place your card onto the ticket machine and the driver will see you have a pass. You don't ask for anything as the ticket is already on the card.

OK, that's straightforward enough. Clearly I over-analysed it!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No magic wand required, just more modern ticket machines with more memory and a mobile connection to the network.

I'll point out that it has been possible to apply online topups on buses in Atlanta since 2006!

That is now almost 10 years later!

The truth is DB just have been using the cheapest, oldest, least capable and totally outdated ticketing machines on the market.

So lets not make excuses for their bad management and instead try and highlight it and change it.

bk wrote: »
    No magic wand required, just more modern ticket machines with more memory and a mobile connection to the network.

I'll point out that it has been possible to apply online topups on buses in Atlanta since 2006!

That is now almost 10 years later!

The truth is DB just have been using the cheapest, oldest, least capable and totally outdated ticketing machines on the market.

So lets not make excuses for their bad management and instead try and highlight it and change it.

Perhaps it may have escaped you, but we have been in one of the biggest recessions in living memory.

It's not always possible to do everything you want. The money for upgrading all of the ticket machines has simply not been available, and is not there until next year. That money will come from the NTA - it's not a Dublin Bus decision. We already know that the machines are to be upgraded in Q4 of 2015.

Or maybe you have another magic wand to pay for nearly 1,000 new ticket machines for DB and a similar amount for Bus Eireann?

The ticket machines that Dublin Bus have, when purchased, were NOT outdated or indeed the cheapest available at the time of purchase - anything but, so don't imply that a bad decision was made.

While it may be possible to do it in Atlanta, it certainly isn't in most European countries, which would tell me that Atlanta isn't exactly representative.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The ticket machines that Dublin Bus have, when purchased, were NOT outdated or indeed the cheapest available at the time of purchase - anything but, so don't imply that a bad decision was made.

They were not then that is true, but they were superseded by a much newer version just after they took delivery of them and are based on outdated technology, even if the machines were not quite outdated.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While it is true that we have just been through a recession, and many major infrastructure projects were cancelled like Dart Underground, Metro North, etc. all investment in infrastructure and public transport didn't just stop.

In fact it freed up a lot of money for smaller, necessary public transport improvement projects.

For example Dublin Bikes, Leap, RTPI, on bus location signs and announcements, on bus wifi, were all launched during the recession!

In particular RTPI added a computer, GPS and live mobile internet connection to every bus and Leap added extra ticketing infrastructure. While doing all of this it would have made a lot of sense to add a more modern, powerful ticketing machine at the same time with all this other new gear. It probably wouldn't have even cost that much extra. 1 million would probably be enough, a drop in the ocean compared to the multi billion dollar projects.

That seems to be a theme with Irish public transport, we are quiet happy to drop billions on massive infrastructure projects like the Luas, port tunnel, motorway network, etc. But god help you if you want to spend a mere 1 million on new ticket machines which will speed up dwell times and make Leap actually work properly!

The issue with the ticket machines shows a clear failure at DB and NTA management level to clearly understand the requirements of the Leap project and speedy well integrated ticketing.

I honestly believe that spending just a few million on new ticketing machines and introducing true multi-modal integrated ticketing (Amsterdam style per km tag-on/tag-off system) would have as much benefit as a 300 million Luas line.

But then it isn't as sexy and there is no fancy ribbon cutting photo op for the politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

fyi, the readers have been installed on most (all?) of the city fleet in Galway in the last few weeks. Looking forward to it - but there will be some "interesting" moments because here coaches are sometimes used on the city routes ...
    Any idea's of launch date in Galway City Mrs OBumble?

devnull wrote: »
    They were not then that is true, but they were superseded by a much newer version just after they took delivery of them and are based on outdated technology, even if the machines were not quite outdated.

bk wrote: »
    While it is true that we have just been through a recession, and many major infrastructure projects were cancelled like Dart Underground, Metro North, etc. all investment in infrastructure and public transport didn't just stop.

In fact it freed up a lot of money for smaller, necessary public transport improvement projects.

For example Dublin Bikes, Leap, RTPI, on bus location signs and announcements, on bus wifi, were all launched during the recession!

In particular RTPI added a computer, GPS and live mobile internet connection to every bus and Leap added extra ticketing infrastructure. While doing all of this it would have made a lot of sense to add a more modern, powerful ticketing machine at the same time with all this other new gear. It probably wouldn't have even cost that much extra. 1 million would probably be enough, a drop in the ocean compared to the multi billion dollar projects.

That seems to be a theme with Irish public transport, we are quiet happy to drop billions on massive infrastructure projects like the Luas, port tunnel, motorway network, etc. But god help you if you want to spend a mere 1 million on new ticket machines which will speed up dwell times and make Leap actually work properly!

The issue with the ticket machines shows a clear failure at DB and NTA management level to clearly understand the requirements of the Leap project and speedy well integrated ticketing.

I honestly believe that spending just a few million on new ticketing machines and introducing true multi-modal integrated ticketing (Amsterdam style per km tag-on/tag-off system) would have as much benefit as a 300 million Luas line.

But then it isn't as sexy and there is no fancy ribbon cutting photo op for the politicians.

Well I think we could all argue that decisions should not have been taken, but it could have been that there was uncertainty about when the newer technology would be available and when would smart ticketing be rolled out, or it could have been an issue of use the funds now or don't get them at all (as is often the case in the public sector). None of us are privy to the discussions that would have gone on at the time.

Unfortunately our public transport providers are ultimately at the behest of the Department of Transport via the NTA. It's down to the DoT how much funds are made available, and then to the NTA as to which projects warrant the investment.

Like most people I'd love to see the fare structure on Dublin Bus simplified, but realistically that is not going to happen while the company's financial position is as dire as it is. I would be of the view that the company simply cannot afford the risk of any shock to the system right now, as they're already absorbing the additional annual back office costs of running LEAP, reduced farebox revenue from LEAP (lower fares) and now the reduction in child revenue due to the extension of the age limits. They've all had a fairly major impact during a time when revenue was falling regardless. In the same vein the NTA are eliminating the fare anomalies in the Irish Rail Short Hop Zone over three years to avoid a major jolt to the company/users.

I think in time when things have stabilised, it will be something to be addressed, but I just cannot see it happening in the short-medium term.

That's where I think people need to be realistic in their expectations in terms of what can be delivered. There is a very clear plan for the funding in relation to LEAP rollout over the next 15 months, and that was referenced here in an earlier thread. While we all want to see things happen now, the reality is that change is going to continue to be phased in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

With regards to the extension of child card users, all they needed to do was just make it relevant for school times, as was the case already with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

loyatemu wrote: »

I'm not sure how contactless payment will work. Most people have more than one credit/debit card - unless you can sync profiles across multiple cards then you'll end up in situations where people are being overcharged because they're not consistently using the same card throughout the day for all the journeys made.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

How long after touch-on is a leap card valid for travel on the Luas?

How long after I touch on will a touch result in another touch-on instead of a touch-off?

Are these questions answered anywhere on the leap card website?

Thanks!

Just in case my questions are hard to understand, let me give an example:
    - Touch on at Charlemont and board southbound Luas;
    - Get off at Balally without touching off;
    - Spend an hour shopping in Dundrum;
    - Return to Balally and board southbound Luas without touching on;
    - Get off at Cherrywood. Touch the card to the card reader. 85 minutes have elapsed since I touched on in Charlemont.

1) Is this a legal and acceptable use of the Luas card? If so/if not; at what time does it become unacceptable?
    2) What happens when I touch the card to the reader at Cherrywood: does it touch off or touch on again? At what elapsed time does it change from touch off to touch on?

• Advertisement

Like most people I'd love to see the fare structure on Dublin Bus simplified, but realistically that is not going to happen while the company's financial position is as dire as it is. I would be of the view that the company simply cannot afford the risk of any shock to the system right now, as they're already absorbing the additional annual back office costs of running LEAP, reduced farebox revenue from LEAP (lower fares) and now the reduction in child revenue due to the extension of the age limits. They've all had a fairly major impact during a time when revenue was falling regardless. In the same vein the NTA are eliminating the fare anomalies in the Irish Rail Short Hop Zone over three years to avoid a major jolt to the company/users.

More excuses!

A per km tag-on/tag-off system shouldn't have any effect on the fare box as the per km charge can be adjusted to equal the same amount of money made from the current staged fare system.

It is just more transparent, fair and better integrated.

Also Leap usage isn't costing DB. The NTA have been increasing cash fare prices far ahead of inflation to widen the gap with Leap, but that doesn't mean Leap is actually costing CIE anything. Leap is just the fare cost that we would really be paying in cash if Leap didn't exist!
    That's where I think people need to be realistic in their expectations in terms of what can be delivered. There is a very clear plan for the funding in relation to LEAP rollout over the next 15 months, and that was referenced here in an earlier thread. While we all want to see things happen now, the reality is that change is going to continue to be phased in.

Yet more excuses. Leap has been in development for 15 years now and cost more then 50 million, I'm very tired of hearing your excuses for the debacle that is LEAP, in particular on Dublin Bus.

Honestly lxflyer, all I ever hear from you is excuses why things can't be fixed. You NEVER criticise CIE companies or their lack of professionalism. It is always just excuse after excuse and it is very tiring.

I suppose it reflect the mentality of CIE, some of it's employees and management, always excuses for problems. Never admit there is any problem, never look for ways to fix the problems or make the situation better. Just stick your head in the sand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement