Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAP CARD - Updated Summary of Cards/Functionality Available - September 2014

Options
  • 02-09-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭

I've updated this thread for the additional functionality that has been added recently, including:
    • LEAP now valid on all Wexford Bus services, including local services in Wexford area
    • Child LEAP card changes
    LEAP is shortly to be launched on Cork Suburban Rail services, the new Ashbourne Connect coach service between Ashbourne and Dublin city centre, and is also to be launched in Galway on both Bus Eireann and City Direct.
    =============================================================================== ==========================

LEAP CARD – Cards Available:

• Adult unpersonalised
    • Adult personalised
    • Child LEAP card (4-15)
    • Child LEAP card (16-18) - Personalised
    • Student travelcard - Personalised
    • Visitor LEAP Card (See below)
    • Trainee LEAP Card (See below)
    =============================================================================== ==========================

LEAP CARD – Summary of Ticket Products Available:

Leap can be used in two modes:
    • Pay-as-you-go epurse
    • Period pass offering unlimited travel on one or more modes

PAY-AS-YOU-GO E-PURSE:

· Dublin Bus (All services) - Daily and weekly (Monday-Sunday) capping applies (see below) – Tag on only - May require to interact with driver.

Note:
    One person holding a LEAP card can pay for a companion on Dublin Bus using the epurse. This applies if the cardholder is using a period pass or the epurse for their own travel.

· Irish Rail (Dublin Short Hop Zone only) – Daily and weekly (Monday-Sunday) capping applies (see below) – Tag on and off

Note:
    The Irish Rail Short Hop Zone incorporates all stations from Kilcoole to Balbriggan, Howth, M3 Parkway and Maynooth and from Dublin Heuston to Hazelhatch.

· Bus Eireann (Greater Dublin Area –excepting 100X and 101) – Tag on only via driver - Currently restricted to Adult LEAP card only

· Bus Eireann (Greater Cork Area) – Tag on only via driver - Currently restricted to Adult LEAP card only

· LUAS (All services) – Daily and weekly (Monday-Sunday) capping applies (see below) – Tag on and off

· Matthews Coaches (Bettystown-Laytown-Dublin service) – Tag on only via driver

· Wexford Bus (All services) – Tag on only via driver - See www.wexfordbus.ie for more fare information

· Swords Express (All services) – Tag on only via driver

· Collins Coaches (Dublin-Ardee-Carrickmacross services) – Tag on only via driver

Dublin Bus, Irish Rail Short Hop, and LUAS pay-as-you-go epurse fares can be found here.

CAPPING ON PAY-AS-YOU-GO:
    An automated daily or weekly (Monday-Sunday) cap will be applied to all e-purse transactions. Different caps will apply to single operators, or where two or more operators are used as below.

Single Operator Capping Levels:

Dublin Bus:
    Daily - Adult €6.90 / Student €5.00 / Child €2.50
    Weekly (Monday-Sunday) - Adult €27.50 / Student €20.00 / Child €8.20

Note:
    For Dublin Bus Xpresso, Outer Suburban 2, and Nitelink services a maximum of €2.50 (€1.15 for a child) of the fare contributes towards the cap. Airlink, tours and special events are excluded from the cap.

LUAS:
    Daily - Adult €6.40 / Student €5.00 / Child €2.50
    Weekly (Monday-Sunday) - Adult €23.50 / Student €18.00 / Child €8.20

Irish Rail (Short Hop Zone):
    Daily - Adult €9.20 / Student €6.90 / Child €3.10
    Weekly (Monday-Sunday) - Adult €35.50 / Student €27.00 / Child €12.00

Multi-Operator Capping Levels:
    The following caps apply where two or more operators are used.

Dublin Bus / LUAS / Irish Rail (Short Hop Zone):
    Daily - Adult €10.00 / Student €7.50 / Child €3.50
    Weekly (Monday-Sunday) - Adult €40.00 / Student €30.00 / Child €14.00

Note:
    For Dublin Bus Xpresso, Outer Suburban 2, and Nitelink services a maximum of €2.50 (€1.15 for a child) of the fare contributes towards the cap. Airlink, tours and special events are excluded from the cap.

More information on capping is available here.

TOPPING UP LEAP CARD E-PURSE

The LEAP card e-purse can be topped up a number of different ways:
    • At one of over 400 Payzone LEAP card agents around Dublin and also in Cork
    • At any LUAS ticket machine
    • At any Irish Rail ticket machine in the Short Hop Zone
    • Online at www.leapcard.ie - Note that this option requires you to subsequently visit your nominated "load location" to physically load the top-up amount onto the card
    • Via Auto top-up - this is the easiest way of topping up the card. It automatically tops up your Leap Card with funds from your bank account, whenever your Travel Credit balance falls below €10. You can choose to Auto Top-Up by €30.00, €40.00 or €50.00. Note that this requires your card to be registered on the LEAP website and a direct debit to be set up.

PERIOD PASSES:
    The following unlimited travel period passes / tickets can be loaded onto a LEAP card, either online (requires you to then visit a payzone outlet) or at a payzone outlet directly:

Dublin Bus:

Rambler 5 Day Adult - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Rambler 30 Day Adult - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Rambler 5 Day Student – requires Student LEAP Card - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Rambler 30 Day Student – requires Student LEAP Card - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Rambler 1 Day Family - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Freedom 3 Day Pass (including Airlink and Hop on-Hop off City Tour) - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Airlink Return Ticket - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Hop on-Hop off City Tour ticket

Annual Bus Only Travelwide Ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Note that where you have more than one product loaded onto the card, you can ask the driver to select which product you wish to use by putting the card on his ticket machine. If you have two versions of the same product (e.g. 2 x 30 Day Rambler tickets), the righthand validator will automatically select the older product.

Irish Rail Short Hop Zone:

Annual Rail Only (Short Hop Zone) (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on/tag off

Bus Eireann Greater Dublin Area:

Daily (24 hours) Greater Dublin Area zonal unlimited travel tickets - Tag on only via driver and valid for 24 hours from date/time of first activation - available for any one of 5 different zones

Weekly (7 day) Greater Dublin Area zonal unlimited travel tickets - Tag on only via driver and valid for 7 consecutive days from date/time of first activation - available for any one of 5 different zones

There are 5 coloured zones surrounding Dublin (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow and Orange) that extend cumulatively out as far as Newry, Monaghan, Cavan, Granard, Longford, Tullamore, Portlaoise and Gorey.

Child 24 hour/7 day tickets are available in the Red and Green zones only, while Student 24 hour tickets are available in the Red, Green and Blue zones only.

Monthly and Annual Tickets (requires personalised LEAP card) - Available for each of the Red, Green, Blue, Yellow and Orange zones. Also available via Taxsaver scheme, from your employer. Details at www.taxsaver.ie

For more information on Bus Eireann zonal tickets in the Dublin Area see here.

Bus Eireann Cork City/Suburban tickets:

Daily (24 hours) Cork City/Suburban zonal unlimited travel tickets - Tag on only via driver and valid for 24 hours from date/time of first activation - available for any one of 2 different zones

Weekly (7 day) Cork City/Suburban zonal unlimited travel tickets - Tag on only via driver and valid for 7 consecutive days from date/time of first activation - available for any one of 2 different zones

Monthly and Annual Cork City/Suburban zonal unlimited travel tickets (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on only via driver and valid for a calendar month - available for any one of 2 different zones. Also available via Taxsaver scheme, from your employer. Details at www.taxsaver.ie

There are 2 coloured zones surrounding Cork, the Red Zone for Cork City services 201 to 219 (excluding suburban portion of 215), and the Green Zone which additionally includes Suburban services as far as Carrigtwohill to the East, Ballincollig to the west, Crosshaven to the south, and Cloghroe to the north, covering all of routes 215, 220, 220A, 221, 223, 226, 226A and routes 260 and 261 as far as Carrigtwohill.

For more information on using LEAP in Cork, please see here.

LUAS:

Annual LUAS all zone tickets (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on/tag off

Monthly LUAS all zone tickets (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on/tag off

Wexford Bus:

Wexford-Dublin Airport Route:
    Weekly/10 Journey Ticket Adult/Student - Tag on only via driver

Wexford Local Services:
    1 Day/Weekly Ticket Adult/Child - Tag on only via driver

Note that adult 1 day/weekly tickets on Wexford local services require a personalised LEAP card.

Swords Express:

10 Journey Ticket - Tag on only via driver

Collins Coaches:

10 Journey Ticket - Tag on only via driver

Multi-Operator:

Dublin Bus/Irish Rail (Short Hop Zone):

Annual Dublin Bus/Irish Rail Short Hop ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on Irish Rail

Dublin Bus/LUAS:

Annual Dublin Bus/LUAS ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on LUAS

Monthly Dublin Bus/LUAS ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on LUAS - Only available via Taxsaver scheme, from your employer. Details at www.taxsaver.ie

Irish Rail (Short Hop Zone)/LUAS:

Annual Irish Rail Short Hop/LUAS ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on/tag off on Irish Rail and LUAS

Monthly Irish Rail Short Hop/LUAS ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on/tag off on Irish Rail and LUAS - Only available via Taxsaver scheme, from your employer. Details at www.taxsaver.ie

Dublin Bus/Irish Rail (Short Hop Zone)/LUAS

Annual Dublin Bus/Irish Rail Short Hop/LUAS ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on Irish Rail and LUAS

Monthly Dublin Bus/Irish Rail Short Hop/LUAS ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on Irish Rail and LUAS - Only available via Taxsaver scheme, from your employer. Details at www.taxsaver.ie

Visitor LEAP Card (only available to purchase at Dublin Airport) - Valid for 3 days (including Airlink 747) - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on Irish Rail and LUAS

Trainee LEAP Card (only available through foreign language schools to registered students) - Valid for 1, 2, 3 or 4 weeks - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on Irish Rail and LUAS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

lxflyer wrote: »
    I've updated this thread for the additional functionality that has been added recently, including:

Dublin Bus/LUAS:

Monthly Dublin Bus/LUAS ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on LUAS - Only available via Taxsaver scheme at www.taxsaver.ie

Irish Rail (Short Hop Zone)/LUAS:

Monthly Irish Rail Short Hop/LUAS ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on/tag off on Irish Rail and LUAS - Only available via Taxsaver scheme at www.taxsaver.ie

Great post.

Slight correction to the above? Should be "Only available via Taxsaver scheme, from your employer. Details at www.taxsaver.ie "

And a question: have LEAP taxsaver tickets been rolled out in Cork, or are they still using the old TaxSaver's?

fyi, the readers have been installed on most (all?) of the city fleet in Galway in the last few weeks. Looking forward to it - but there will be some "interesting" moments because here coaches are sometimes used on the city routes ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Bus Éireann are on the taxsaver with Leapcard. They should have taxsaver available for Leapcard down there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The taxsaver information has yet to be updated - My guide above is purely sourced from information that is publicly available.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bus Éireann are on the taxsaver with Leapcard. They should have taxsaver available for Leapcard down there too.

But my question is - do they in practise?

On Dublin Bus, tax-saver people are told to use the right-hand validators. But Galway buses (Leap coming "soon") only have driver validators, not RHS ones. I'm wondering if there's a hole in the logic, or if non Dublin-Bus driver validators are smarter than DB ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

But my question is - do they in practise?

On Dublin Bus, tax-saver people are told to use the right-hand validators. But Galway buses (Leap coming "soon") only have driver validators, not RHS ones. I'm wondering if there's a hole in the logic, or if non Dublin-Bus driver validators are smarter than DB ones.

They can use the driver one too on Dublin Bus. but what'd be the point in that when there's a device specifically for tickets?

• Advertisement

Great post.

Slight correction to the above? Should be "Only available via Taxsaver scheme, from your employer. Details at www.taxsaver.ie "

And a question: have LEAP taxsaver tickets been rolled out in Cork, or are they still using the old TaxSaver's?

fyi, the readers have been installed on most (all?) of the city fleet in Galway in the last few weeks. Looking forward to it - but there will be some "interesting" moments because here coaches are sometimes used on the city routes ...

On further study of NTA documents - the monthly/annual in both Dublin and Cork on Bus Eireann have both migrated to LEAP.

I've updated the details above.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

When you mentioned topping up
    "Online at www.leapcard.ie - Note that this option requires you to subsequently visit your nominated "load location" to physically load the top-up amount onto the card"
    What does this mean? I bought my card online and topped it up when I was ordering it. Do i have to do anything for it to work or am I good to go?

When you order the card online, it should come with the credit your ordered too.

It's when you purchase credit itself online, you need to go somewhere to update your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Multi-Operator:

Dublin Bus/LUAS:

Monthly Dublin Bus/LUAS ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on LUAS - Only available via Taxsaver scheme, from your employer. Details at www.taxsaver.ie

Is this saying you can only buy a monthly DB/tram ticket through the taxsaver scheme, or can self employed/retired/non-taxsaver employees still buy paper tickets?

Is this saying you can only buy a monthly DB/tram ticket through the taxsaver scheme, or can self employed/retired/non-taxsaver employees still buy paper tickets?

The paper tickets were discontinued a couple of months ago.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how else I can explain the use of the word "only", other than to repeat, they are only available now through the taxsaver scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

Bit confused as to how the 30 day ramblers work.

I have a student travel card from last year that expires in December. I am just about to go into second year. Last year I got the Student 30 day rambler but I hear that this year hey are done through the leap card, so I'm just wondering how does that work? Where do I buy the rambler and is it just put automatically on to my Student Travel Card? And do you just scan the card on the bus like I would have done with the rambler last year?

Any help would be very appreciated :)

You can load a 30 day rambler ticket onto your Student LEAP Card, which is also your Student Travel Card at any payzone agent.

The current card will expire in December, but you have until March to use up the days on the Rambler ticket, and any unused days can be transferred to your new card. Having said all of that, you might be as well just getting a new card now and loading a rambler ticket onto it.

You scan the card on the reader on the right if you want to use a day from the 30, or use the driver's machine if you want to use the epurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'm not sure how else I can explain the use of the word "only", other than to repeat, they are only available now through the taxsaver scheme.

I have no definitive evidence, but from looking at our immigration laws, there are nationalities who can reside here and found businesses, but not work as employees;

Then there are the data protection issues; I can see no reason, why a transport company needs to know if a customer is an employee or is self employed, or if the employee is buying the monthly ticket themselves or their employer is buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

You can load a 30 day rambler ticket onto your Student LEAP Card, which is also your Student Travel Card at any payzone agent.

The current card will expire in December, but you have until March to use up the days on the Rambler ticket, and any unused days can be transferred to your new card. Having said all of that, you might be as well just getting a new card now and loading a rambler ticket onto it.

You scan the card on the reader on the right if you want to use a day from the 30, or use the driver's machine if you want to use the epurse.

Brilliant thanks very much :)

I have no definitive evidence, but from looking at our immigration laws, there are nationalities who can reside here and found businesses, but not work as employees;

Then there are the data protection issues; I can see no reason, why a transport company needs to know if a customer is an employee or is self employed, or if the employee is buying the monthly ticket themselves or their employer is buying it.

Well why don't you take it up with the NTA? They are the people who have instigated the simplification of the tickets available.

Anyone discommoded can avail of weekly capping on LEAP, which is what I suspect the NTA are trying to get people to migrate to, rather than having a huge range of prepaid tickets.

I suspect that the transport companies' staff have far better things to do than worry about people's employment status.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I know there is daily capping for Luas of €6.40 but I had some surprise transactions during the week when I travelled from Carrickmines - Stephens Green on Green line and then walked to Abbey St to get red line to Museum and back again that afternoon.

I tagged on/off at each stage so it wasn't that, here are the transactions

Carrickmines - Stephen's Green tag on -2.40 tag off 0.00
    Abbey St - museum tag on -2.30 tag off +2.30
    Museum - Abbey St tag on -2.30 tag off +0.85
    Stephen's Green - Carrickmines tag on -2.40 tag off +1.45

So in all it just cost me the usual price of Carrickmines - Stephen's Green return 4.80
    By some coincidence the inbound and outbound journeys took 1 hr and 2 mins, including walking time between the 2 lines. Is there some kind of time capping as well?

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I know there is daily capping for Luas of €6.40 but I had some surprise transactions during the week when I travelled from Carrickmines - Stephens Green on Green line and then walked to Abbey St to get red line to Museum and back again that afternoon.

I tagged on/off at each stage so it wasn't that, here are the transactions

Carrickmines - Stephen's Green tag on -2.40 tag off 0.00
    Abbey St - museum tag on -2.30 tag off +2.30
    Museum - Abbey St tag on -2.30 tag off +0.85
    Stephen's Green - Carrickmines tag on -2.40 tag off +1.45

So in all it just cost me the usual price of Carrickmines - Stephen's Green return 4.80
    By some coincidence the inbound and outbound journeys took 1 hr and 2 mins, including walking time between the 2 lines. Is there some kind of time capping as well?

St Stephen's Green and Museum are all in the "Central" fare zone which means that once you complete both trips (Green and Red) within the specified time it is treated as a single journey, despite the walk between the two lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Poochie05

That explains it, thanks!
    Is the specified time 90 min?

Yes - the 90 minute rule applies.

The Central 1 zone covers all stations on the Red Line between Heuston and George's Dock/Connolly, and between St Stephen's Green and Charlemont on the Green Line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Maestro84 wrote: »
    When you mentioned topping up
    "Online at www.leapcard.ie - Note that this option requires you to subsequently visit your nominated "load location" to physically load the top-up amount onto the card"
    What does this mean? I bought my card online and topped it up when I was ordering it. Do i have to do anything for it to work or am I good to go?
    When you order the card online, it should come with the credit your ordered too.

It's when you purchase credit itself online, you need to go somewhere to update your card.

Do Auto Top-Ups still need to be "collected" at a load point before using the credit on Dublin Bus?

hardCopy wrote: »
    Do Auto Top-Ups still need to be "collected" at a load point before using the credit on Dublin Bus?

No, as the name implies it's done automatically.

No need to visit any load points.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can I clarify the issue of Nitelink and Leap?

As I understand it, the Nitelink fare can only be paid by a €5 deduction from the epurse, you cannot load a specific 'Nitelink ticket' onto the card.

Correct?

The reason for asking is because is have two Leap cards (one from the early trial, the second when I traded in my Rail smartcard) and I thought it might be useful to have a couple of Nitelink tickets on the second card, safe in the knowledge that they'd always be there even if I spent all the money on the card.

coylemj wrote: »
    Can I clarify the issue of Nitelink and Leap?

As I understand it, the Nitelink fare can only be paid by a €5 deduction from the epurse, you cannot load a specific 'Nitelink ticket' onto the card.

Correct?

The reason for asking is because is have two Leap cards (one from the early trial, the second when I traded in my Rail smartcard) and I thought it might be useful to have a couple of Nitelink tickets on the second card, safe in the knowledge that they'd always be there even if I spent all the money on the card.

Nitelink is only available from your epurse.

Specific Nitelink tickets are not available on LEAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

Are there any plans to extend Leap to cover Irish Rail point-to-point Taxsaver tickets in the GDA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Can I just ask, when you put a ticket onto the leap card online, how do you pay for it? Do you pay online? And also, if I pay online, do I need to bring my debit card to the load station with me or will the shop keeper be able to see it by scanning the card? I'm new to leap and I'm so confused :L

Can I just ask, when you put a ticket onto the leap card online, how do you pay for it?

Don't understand the question.
    And also, if I pay online, do I need to bring my debit card to the load station with me or will the shop keeper be able to see it by scanning the card? I'm new to leap and I'm so confused :L

If you've added credit to a Leap card online with a credit/debit card, the new amount is sitting there in the system waiting to be loaded, you don't need to bring your credit/debit card to collect it. If picking up at a Payzone shop, hand over the Leap card and ask them to check the balance, that will load the new money onto the card. I normally don't do that in a shop because however low the margin is, I prefer to give the shop the money in cash and ask them to topup the card. If the shop is busy, they may not take kindly to someone asking them to do something which takes time but for which they make no money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

coylemj wrote: »
    Don't understand the question.

If you've added credit to a Leap card online with a credit/debit card, the new amount is sitting there in the system waiting to be loaded, you don't need to bring your credit/debit card to collect it. If picking up at a Payzone shop, hand over the Leap card and ask them to check the balance, that will load the new money onto the card. I normally don't do that in a shop because however low the margin is, I prefer to give the shop the money in cash and ask them to topup the card. If the shop is busy, they may not take kindly to someone asking them to do something which takes time but for which they make no money.

So if I wanted to put a 30 day student ticket onto my student travel card then all I have to do is do it online and bring the card to the payzone and they load it on? Kind of defeats the purpose of doing something online when you eventually have to go to the shop anyway! Thanks :D

So if I wanted to put a 30 day student ticket onto my student travel card then all I have to do is do it online and bring the card to the payzone and they load it on? Kind of defeats the purpose of doing something online when you eventually have to go to the shop anyway! Thanks :D

That's true for an adult but it does make sense if a mum or dad wants to load up credit on their kids' cards from home.

• Advertisement

Its a Dublin Bus problem more so.

You can order a topup for credit online and get it with Luas or Irish Rail (which ever you select) as you use your card.

Dublin Bus don't have enough memory on their validators to queue'em up. So has to be through payzone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement