Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV3 to build €4m HD studio

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

p.oconnor wrote: »
    Does TV3 have the playout technology in place for HD broadcasting? If so what kind of timeframe can we expect before the likes of the Champions League and other sport, films and other programming filmed in HD being broadcast by TV3 in HD.

I remember Rick Hetherington saying how TV3 was able to go digital with a flick of a switch in the Sunday Business Post a decade ago.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Digital or HD?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Elmo wrote: »
    I remember Rick Hetherington saying how TV3 was able to go digital with a flick of a switch in the Sunday Business Post a decade ago.

Well, they did go wide-screen at the flick of a switch. Pity they cannot pay their way at the stroke of a pen!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

I wonder do we have possibility that RTE one, tv3 and tg4 HD channels would all launch on the same day on all platforms including saorview. That would be a great step forward in HD in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,639 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I wonder do we have possibility that RTE one, tv3 and tg4 HD channels would all launch on the same day on all platforms including saorview. That would be a great step forward in HD in Ireland.

Maybe but not until sometime next year at the earliest. For TV3 it will depend on the cost of carriage and transmission - the so called DTT Tariff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

I wonder how keen Sky will be to provide RTE 1, TV3 and TG4 in HD.
    When they agreed to RTE 2 HD, they thought they could put it as part of their HD sub.

Also, RTE 2 HD fitted on the same transponder as the SD versions of RTE1/2, TV3 and TG4, so there was not the cost of a new transponder.
    More HD channels means a second Irish transponder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The current mux is full and any expansion requires the second mux. If the second mux starts up, it would make sense for it to be divided such that RTE has mux1 and TG4 and TV3 has the seond mux, together with OTV and any other channels.

So we would have mux1
    RTE1 HD
    RTE2 HD
    RTE News Now (SD)
    RTE jr/RTE + (SD
    RTE Radios

Mux2
    TV3 HD
    TG4 HD
    3E (SD)
    OTV/IFT (SD)
    Commercial radios (if they opt to go on)

Has a nice ring to it in my mind.

Just a question of how much and who pays what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

MarkK wrote: »
    I wonder how keen Sky will be to provide RTE 1, TV3 and TG4 in HD.
    When they agreed to RTE 2 HD, they thought they could put it as part of their HD sub.

They did in their arse. :) The terms of any must offer/carry would have included no additional cost per the legislation regardless of the platform. Sky would have known this. They are well aware of the legislation having contributed to it at its consultative stages. Sky tried it on, they needed to be told what they couldnt do. In the meantime they possibly fooled plenty of people into needless HD contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

The current mux is full and any expansion requires the second mux. If the second mux starts up, it would make sense for it to be divided such that RTE has mux1 and TG4 and TV3 has the seond mux, together with OTV and any other channels.

So we would have mux1
    RTE1 HD
    RTE2 HD
    RTE News Now (SD)
    RTE jr/RTE + (SD
    RTE Radios

Mux2
    TV3 HD
    TG4 HD
    3E (SD)
    OTV/IFT (SD)
    Commercial radios (if they opt to go on)

Has a nice ring to it in my mind.

Just a question of how much and who pays what.

And is it a case that the second Mux could be fired up today or would it take alot of work to set up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,639 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

And is it a case that the second Mux could be fired up today or would it take alot of work to set up?

Second mux is ready to go according to Saorview themselves and is occasionally switched on for testing as it was earlier today at Maghera as reported the Mux2 thread.

Advertisement