Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spartacus: Vengeance [Starz - US] *Spoilers!*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Cringed most of the way through that, usual suspects stinking it up. And the whole "Lets get drunk, fight and be best friends after it" story was awful. Good to see Mira has progressed to being an expert bowman now and is using her new found skills to train everyone else, who have also mastered it in record time.

The ending saved it from being a horrifically bad episode but its a pity Liam hasnt bothered to learn how to fight. Considering he's supposed to be the best fighter and the star of the show his fight scenes are extremely amateurish and its clear the director shies away from showing them whenever possible and shows Gannicus, Crixus and others instead who manage to outshine him at every turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

More Glaber, less Spartacus that's what I say

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't think there's much more of Glaber to show after the latest episode. :)

Found it stupid sending Mira first down the tunnel with the bow and arrow. If she met anyone it would be too close range.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm really sick of the women warriors in Mira and Naevia, it just doesn't work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Thought it was another good show, all the scenes in Batiatus' house were excellent once again. Really did not see Seppia dying like that. The scenes with Spartacus and his group seemed a bit contrived, everyone becoming the best of friends. But I suppose it has to do with Glaber's comment that the group will be driven mad up the mountain and will lose unity. Be interesting to see how Spartacus and his group get out of this situation, really seemed penned in.

Anyone else get the feeling that Spartacus may not make it past this season, really seemed to have focused on the other characters in his camp this season. Not sure if that was because they wanted to take the pressure off Liam or because Spartacus will not be in the show long term. I am probably completely wrong with my suspicions but I think this season needs a big death like Batiatus last year so I feel either Glaber or Spartacus will die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

Thought that was an awesome episode! So much happening. Sad to see Anameus get hurt, looks like he's gone next.

Elohim wrote: »
    Thought that was an awesome episode! So much happening. Sad to see Anameus get hurt, looks like he's gone next.

In the real historical records the name Oenomaus disappears pretty early so it's safe to assume he died early on in the rebellion, but I think he was recorded as a Gaul in the servile rebellion so the writers will probably keep his Numidian character around longer.

What is the craic with Nezir and the horrible cat screetch he makes everytime he goes to fight, it's so stupid and cringey.
    Also Naevia and skeleton face are annoying me with their hand to hand and archery expertise all of a sudden.

All that said I'm never really that critical of an episode I really liked, it was a gripping episode and the actors did a good job but we need to see more of Spartacus actually fighting, it seems McIntyre was only cast because he looks kinda like the old Spartacus but they should have cast someone who knew the ins and outs of the fighting scenes first, we would've gotten over the change of looks quicker I think.
    Gannicus, Glaber and Ashur are the only ones making the season any good but I sometimes have trouble understanding Gannicus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is it me or did Varinius look like a young Peter O'Toole?

hmmm maybe but Peter Outerbridge AKA Ari Tasarov from Nikita is an even closer match imo.

129209582111420811.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Good episode

pluses
      really liked how Ashur and Glaber figured out where the Sparty gang were holed up from the various bits info they had.
      Loved how the Legionaries formed shield steps to scale the wall.
      was happy to see Spartacus wearing armour of some kind, it's something they should have done from the begining to hide Liams lack of muscle definition in comparison to the other gladiators

minuses
    • Really wish they would cut back on Spartacus's speechifying, you can only go to that well so many times before you find it empty , I'm finding them kinda cringey at this stage. The reason the speech in the finale of B&S worked so well was because of just that it was the finale, we'd had 13 eps(yet only 10 eps this season ???) of build up to get us to that point , now he's on his soapbox holding court in every bloody ep setting mind to purpose this and striking shackle that , it's just too much imo. I get that he has to motivate the troops but could the writers not have him do this on a more one to one basis and save the speechs for the pivotal episodes or at the very least delegate some of them to Oenamaus/Gannicus/Crixus/Agron so he doesn't come off as liking the sound of his own voice too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Hopefully the last episode will have an epic fight between Gannicus and The Egyptian!

bobbyg wrote: »
    Hopefully the last episode will have an epic fight between Gannicus and The Egyptian!

That Egyptian guy is kinda unrealistic. Why was he in a pit? Why wasn't he in the arena if he's that good I know Onomaus was injured but he should have been handled fairly quickly going up against trained gladiators.

That Egyptian guy is kinda unrealistic. Why was he in a pit? Why wasn't he in the arena if he's that good I know Onomaus was injured but he should have been handled fairly quickly going up against trained gladiators.

Fighters in the arena need to be willing to take orders from their dominus and the fights editor over whether to kill or be merciful , I'm guessing this guy didn't play well with others and that's the reason he ended up in the pits not for lack of skill .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

That Egyptian guy is kinda unrealistic. Why was he in a pit?
    Because he's CRAZY and will gladly mash skulls together! What more do you need! I don't look to Spartacus for realism :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Also Naevia and skeleton face are annoying me with their hand to hand and archery expertise all of a sudden.

Who is "skeleton face"?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Anyone else get the feeling that Spartacus may not make it past this season ... I feel either Glaber or Spartacus will die.

Nah, not a chance of it. The show is called Spartacus, it wouldn't be much of a show without him. Besides, as it's based on real events you can be fairly certain he'll survive until the big showdown with Crassus whenever that happens. The characters I fear for are the ones not based on history. I think it might be Agron to snuff it. Which would be a shame cause I really like him.
    Really wish they would cut back on Spartacus's speechifying

I actually thought they'd have one of the gladiators in their drunken state telling him something along those lines :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Excellent episode. Sepia was dispatched very quickly. I wonder was Lucretia aware of Illithyia's plan to kill Sepia?

Excellent episode. Sepia was dispatched very quickly. I wonder was Lucretia aware of Illithyia's plan to kill Sepia?

I assumed that was their plan all along Lucretia sets Sepia's mind to purpose on killing Glaber then Ilythia swoops to his rescue and they reconcile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I say agron will be gone next which is a shame think he's decent actor kinda gettin annoyed with Spartacus and his speeches lately they kinda drag on a bit
    And krixus finally gets his bit ha ha bout time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I assumed that was their plan all along Lucretia sets Sepia's mind to purpose on killing Glaber then Ilythia swoops to his rescue and they reconcile.

No I don't think so. Lucretia wants Gaius dead because he promised her to Asher as wife. Sepia dead instead doesn't save her from Asher.

Feckin hell - gotta say - Gannicus is miles better fighter than any fo the other rebels. He seems to just take on any number of Romans pissed out of his mind and cut them down without breaking a sweat. Anyone else feel like the other rebels are just dead weight holding him back and they should just let him fight on his own ?? He's gonna be pissed now the egyptian guy injured onemayous. Man he's gonna be mad.

^ did someone mention the lack of Sepia nudity/boobs-a-hoy?....well episode 8 fixed this nicely :-)
    don ramo wrote: »
    she got em out in ep 7 richard, are you actually watching this show or just tracking it

also shes no illithia or lucretia biggrin.gif

Hands down the best boobs in the show belong to Ilythia's body slave - the slightly Pocahontas looking one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Yeah I agree gannicus is the better fighter of them all think krixus is gone too soft aswell Spartacus is not as good as he was and gannicus is gonna tear the Egyptian a new one in saying that the Egyptian took 3 arrows last week and didn't fall so it'll be good fight

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

If Krixus keeps training with that girl for a sparring partner he's gonna lose that edge! Although she does seem to somehow be a master fighter at this stage :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

No I don't think so. Lucretia wants Gaius dead because he promised her to Asher as wife. Sepia dead instead doesn't save her from Asher.

Mmm, my first reaction was that of course Lucretia was a part of the plan for Illythia to kill Sepia, but you bring up a good point. It'll be interesting to see Lucretia's reaction in the next episode. Maybe she expects that if Lucretia is back on good terms with Glaber she'll be able to persaude him to save Lucretia from Ashur.

But also to remember is that Lucretia now knows Illythia's secret about the father of her child, so if Illythia did go against the plan there'll be hell to pay for that. But then again it'll always be one word against the other and will just depend who Glaber believes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

the Egyptian took 3 arrows last week and didn't fall so it'll be good fight

He used to be a gladiator, but then he took 3 arrows to the knee. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I've only seen the first episode thus far, twas awesome!.....overall how has this season been compared to the other two?

Season finale Friday!

Lots of info re: upcoming Starz series/projects in development etc: http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/03/starz-interview-with-ceo-chris-albrecht.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I've only seen the first episode thus far, twas awesome!.....overall how has this season been compared to the other two?

I think its been average overall compared to the previous two, maybe 2/3 really good episodes. Think the casting of Liam was an incredibly bad decision. They should have went for an actor/fighter/charmer rather than a look alike. I think they spent the first half of the season trying to get him to fit into the role and catch up with the rest and the latter half of the season shying away from that after realising it wasnt quite working

Gannicus, Crixus and Agron were put to good use in covering Spartacus' failings though. Speaks volumes for the show when the rest of the cast can cover up for a poor lead character. Thing is though they cant afford to lose too many of the other characters or they will be left without a show.

I'd imagine they will want someone to die a hero's death in the finale but they wont be keen to make it that big I dont think. Certainly cant kill off a Varo type character for the stories sake like they did in season one. I hope they dont get over excited and kill off Crixus, Gannicus or Agron. Because if they do there will be no season three worth talking about.

Hope they kill off Mira, i fcukin hate the sight of the boney little face popping up everywhere in the show.

They need to do some intense fight training with Liam in the off season because he really needs to be matching the others for ability. Few acting lessons wouldnt go astray too.

Season finale Friday!

I agree with Mung its been kinda average for me the first two seasons were tightly written affairs with water cooler moments you talk to your mates about in every ep
    ( Blood & sand ep4 the pits ep5 theocles ep6 Barca rip ep7 Surra rip ep9 licinia rip ep10 Varro rip ep11 Selonius set up/Spartacus discovers batiatus's role in suras death ep12 Selonius rip ep13 Batiatus rip
    whereas this season perhaps because the climax we are building towards is still a few seasons away and not as simple as simply escaping the ludus, things seems less focused. Of those water cooler moments I mentioned I can only really think of maybe 3 so far this season, granted this is without repeat viewings so maybe there are more I'm forgetting.

Issues so far for me are as myself and others have stated before Liam's relative lacks of rippedness in comparison to Andy's Spartacus and his fellow Gladiators , the endless motivational speeches he gives , Mira warrior princess .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I'm going to keep it short. Not a bad series by any means , agree there has been 2 or 3 quality episodes with I have to say a few duds to go along with it.

Still the best show on tv by a long way but there's just that edge missing that was in blood and sand and gods of the arena.

Also is it just me or is this series less raunchy ? The best part so far in terms of raunchiness was when ilithia had the box fingered of her Lol.

Lastly I think Liam has done a good job, it was always going to be a near impossible task to replace the original Spartacus IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Big finale tonight people!...i would assume lost of blood and deaths!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Well, I guess we'll be needing a whole bunch of new major characters for the next series!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement