Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin Bus GT Class

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Are the centre doors going to be used in buses in service or is it required as an emergency exit due to the removal of the rear emergency exit?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Are the centre doors going to be used in buses in service or is it required as an emergency exit due to the removal of the rear emergency exit?

I would assume they removed the emergency exit door due to no longer been needed due to the presence of the center doors. However that doesn't mean they will use the center doors in normal service.

The position of the CCTV screen to show space upstairs is weird. It is a great idea, however I wonder if it's low position will mean it is easily vandalised.

No sign of screens for bus stop information unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Why are they still using an over 12 year front design with normal lights.

Its about time they upgraded to led and bi-xenon as all rear lights are led.

Don't see the monitors lasting very long either people will just wreck them.

The double door system is great and was used for many many years before but the major safety problem is there is not enough space at bus stops to let the bus in parallel with the path e.g Ilegal parking, traffic, obstructions(light poles, traffic polesand so on)

I hope there will be better mirrors attached to the outside as the ones used now are big but don't give any good indication as to how close the back is to something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Looking very well. Photos on Tony Murrays site. Note the centre plug type doors.

http://www.dublinbus.cc/gt1.htm
    More small-diametre wheels (rims and tyres)? Those scared me on the KD-class (especially when I was once on a route 86 bus that skidded across the intersection of Johnstown Road and Bray Road in Cabinteely). I would feel safer with a bigger foot print.

Are the centre doors going to be used? Or is it just the new "Éalú"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

CIE wrote: »
    More small-diametre wheels (rims and tyres)? Those scared me on the KD-class (especially when I was once on a route 86 bus that skidded across the intersection of Johnstown Road and Bray Road in Cabinteely). I would feel safer with a bigger foot print.

Are the centre doors going to be used? Or is it just the new "Éalú"?

Wheels and tyres are same size just body design puts you off a bit.

Centre doors will be used as an exit only its to try and speed up the loading and unloading just a shame they didn't do this on the try axle (vt) as it takes ages to unload and then load

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Centre doors will be used as an exit only its to try and speed up the loading and unloading; just a shame they didn't do this on the try axle (vt) as it takes ages to unload and then load
    I thought it was a shame that they didn't do this on the centre-door Atlanteans myself. Back then though (60s/70s/early 80s), loading was a bit faster due to having conductors. The only time the centre door got used was at the city centre set-down stops. But then they refrained from doing it on the KD-class too, even after instituting one-person operation (after ages of false starts) and even on the centre-door Olympians.

The VT class is long enough to warrant a centre and rear door, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

Looking very well. Photos on Tony Murrays site. Note the centre plug type doors.

http://www.dublinbus.cc/gt1.htm

Ah centre doors that's great news, a prelude to tag-on tag-off leap cards perhaps? Here's hoping.

Edit: From http://www.irishbuses.com/GT.html
    *Pre-wired for smart card readers both sides of the middle doors.

Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Centre doors will be used as an exit only its to try and speed up the loading and unloading just a shame they didn't do this on the try axle (vt) as it takes ages to unload and then load

So they've somehow managed to overcome the Labour court ruling saying that drivers could not be compelled to operate the middle doors? I'd love to see it happen but the cynic in me says they'll never be used. (Except maybe by Alex :))
    Don't see the monitors lasting very long either people will just wreck them.

Why are people in Dublin so pessimistic about their own city? It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. Even the glass etching that used to make DBs buses look so worn has been more or less entirely solved. Monitors can be made very resilient these days, I think they'll be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Have you some information that all drivers on these buses will definitely be using the centre doors?
    markpb wrote: »
    So they've somehow managed to overcome the Labour court ruling saying that drivers could not be compelled to operate the middle doors? I'd love to see it happen but the cynic in me says they'll never be used. (Except maybe by Alex :))
    Ah yes it's the fault of the Labour Court not the drivers who decided en mass to not use the centre doors.

Why are people in Dublin so pessimistic about their own city? It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. Even the glass etching that used to make DBs buses look so worn has been more or less entirely solved. Monitors can be made very resilient these days, I think they'll be okay.
    It wont be long till some skanger puts their head into one of those monitors while falling down the stairs and claims for hundreds of thousands in damages for the ensueing brain damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I remember the doomsayers on here crying that, Dublin being the exception to every other European city, the RTPI boards would be vandalised the moment they went up (because Boombridge is a kip and the Red Line is full of scumbags) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

AngryLips wrote: »

I remember the doomsayers on here crying that, Dublin being the exception to every other European city, the RTPI boards would be vandalised the moment they went up (because Boombridge is a kip and the Red Line is full of scumbags) :rolleyes:

And every Dublin Bike is now in a canal or river!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Don't suppose there's any LED screens to display the upcoming stop? I thought they trialed this a few years back - I assume it's not going ahead on all routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I notice on that website that there is mention of the Dublin Bus S.I.P.T.U. bus design committee who went to 'inspect' the new vehicles - have DB given over the job of designing the new generation bus to Jack O'Connor and the lads down in Liberty Hall?

What about a Dublin Bus users design committee - there's more commuters than drivers or doesn't anyone in DB realise this or care what their customers think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

No need to chant the words of "We shall overcome" at all....:)

The Labour Court's long standing judgement still stands,with,if anything,somewhat more importance attached to it given the marked deterioration in Bus Stop/Roadside infrastructure in the decades since the original hearings.

Wrongly positioned Bus Stops,incorrectly or unmarked Bus Bays,insufficient manouvering space....

(Pop along to Stop 847 outbound at Leeson St Bridge any busy evening,and observe what happens when more than a single bus attempts to operate here...plenty of Kassel Kerb space,plenty of marked Bus bay...plus a row of bicycle racks directly outside where the door of any subsequent bus is.....wildly dangerous as it is and most certainly a total NO-NO for Centre Door use on a 46A :rolleyes: )

Centre Door operation itself was not the issue,but rather,compulsion to use them at all times.

Since the decision to specify the Centre Door in the VG is an NTA one,this has now committed the same authority to taking the necessary steps to allow for the SAFE operation of the new vehicles.

No operator,public or private,is,in todays litigious climate,going to introduce a system of operation which can not safely be sustained over the totality of the route.

If,However,the NTA are prepared to sign off on a blanket assurance of Safety and freedom from being held responsible for mishaps involving Centre Door use,then Dublin Bus drivers will be queuing up outside the NTA's HQ to demonstrate their prowess.

Personally I think the Dual Door is a fantastic system and it's lack of use in Dublin stands as mute testimony to successive City Administrations which could not give a shytte about Public Transport operators OR customers.

It's TOTALLY up to the NTA/DCC now......lets see if they've thought this one through a little better than they did with Taxi Rank space ;););)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

coylemj wrote: »
    I notice on that website that there is mention of the Dublin Bus S.I.P.T.U. bus design committee who went to 'inspect' the new vehicles - have DB given over the job of designing the new generation bus to Jack O'Connor and the lads down in Liberty Hall?

What about a Dublin Bus users design committee - there's more commuters than drivers or doesn't anyone in DB realise this or care what their customers think?

It's worthwhile noting that although the photography appears to have been SIPTU based,the actual Bus Design SubCommittee is comprised of Driver Reps from Both Unions and Dublin Bus Senior Engineering Executives.

Sadly,the actual broad strokes of PSV design are quite strongly restricted by EU Design & Construction guidelines as well as the ever present Health N Safety regulations,which ensures that Bus Body Manufacturers offer broadly similar products with limited opportunity to install hammocks or reclining leather vibrating armchairs down the back upstairs...:cool:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Joshycat

Do the centre doors have a wheelchair ramp or do wheelchairs still exit from the front doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Surely the centre doors cannot be a replacement emergency exit as they are on the same side as the front door. If the bus were to tip on to that side, run up against a wall or there to be a fire to the left then both emergency exits would be impassible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there still only a single staircase?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Surely the centre doors cannot be a replacement emergency exit as they are on the same side as the front door. If the bus were to tip on to that side, run up against a wall or there to be a fire to the left then both emergency exits would be impassible.

I assume the windows can be used as alternate emergency exits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Shatter hammers to escape on off side. Buses have one staircase yes. Bear in mind that The NTA own these buses and not Dublin bus. Part of the deal is that centre doors MUST be used or the NTA can take the buses back and give them to another company.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

lxflyer wrote: »
    Yes.

Why?? Bus that size should have two stairs. Presumably Wright would be capable of doing it seeing as they do other dual-stair buses.

I'd ask you why?

The new GT class is no bigger than the existing VG class bus - it is not a tri-axle, it's a standard sized double deck bus.

Putting in a second set of stairs would just use up much needed seating capacity.

The only dual staired double deck bus in operation is the limited number "borismaster". DB, rightly in my view, tend to stick with proven designs.

As others have said, this is an NTA bus on NTA spec.

monument wrote: »

That may be so but I think that you'll find that the DB Chief Engineer will have the major input into the design spec given that there aren't very many mechanical engineers on the staff of the NTA.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It wont be long till some skanger puts their head into one of those monitors while falling down the stairs and claims for hundreds of thousands in damages for the ensueing brain damage.

Ah yes, I can see it now - some Golden Ticket holder upset at being asked for their signature decides to take it out on the monitor (once they've reached their destination of course after all their business is their priority).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

parsi wrote: »
    Ah yes, I can see it now - some Golden Ticket holder upset at being asked for their signature decides to take it out on the monitor (once they've reached their destination of course after all their business is their priority).

Don't forget, their assisted spouse can also lay in with a few digs over the day when they were stopped unaided by the driver on their way to collect their disability allowance after work.

lxflyer wrote: »
    monument wrote: »

That may be so but I think that you'll find that the DB Chief Engineer will have the major input into the design spec given that there aren't very many mechanical engineers on the staff of the NTA.

But still: NTA buses with the final say down to the NTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Anyone know how many are being assigned to Donnybrook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

From dublinbus.cc
    Garage allocations are as follows -
    Conyngham Road - 10, Harristown - 18, Summerhill - 10, Clontarf - 12, Ringsend - 9. Donnybrook - 21

Advertisement