Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eVision (IPTV service from Eircom) [Merged]

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Kensington wrote: »
    It certainly is good news, though just noticed no sign of Sky Sports News or Sky Sports F1.

If they could add those two channels, along with Eurosport, coupled with their €18/month Setanta/BT Sports package, they'd have a pretty damn unbeatable pay TV offering on the sports front.

Until they start hiking up their prices. Got a notification a couple of weeks ago that their prices are increasing. And there I was thinking I had a fixed priced contract.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I doubt they'll get Sky Sports F1 when UPC don't have it, but I fail to understand why they don't have Sky Sports News - outside of Soccer Saturday it is effectively a rolling advertisement for the other Sky Sports channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

redser7 wrote: »
    Until they start hiking up their prices. Got a notification a couple of weeks ago that their prices are increasing. And there I was thinking I had a fixed priced contract.

Exactly. I'm strongly thinking of availing of the 30 day get out clause and going to Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

They upped their broadband and home phone prices alright, but not the TV - for now at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Kensington wrote: »
    They upped their broadband and home phone prices alright, but not the TV - for now at least.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to. I'm not complaining, I like evision. But I'm under no illusion about it staying 'cheap'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Yes, that's what I'm referring to. I'm not complaining, I like evision. But I'm under no illusion about it staying 'cheap'

Do you really think Sky will keep their prices the same given the new deal they announced with the premiership? Who will pay for that? Subscribers, that's who. Eircoms price is likely to go up for Sky (which it is) but Sky will also go up quite a bit I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

where evision differs is that there are no sky channels such sky 1 on the platform. The only sky channels carried are the sports. With the new price rise by sky everybody irrespective of whether you are a sky sports subscriber is paying for the new premiership football deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hey all... moving to a non-UPC area and been looking at this with their fibre package. Any feedback from current users? Is it worth the punt or should I get the fibre and the TV elsewhere?

There's a dish in the new place and my TV supports Saorview so could easilt stick a Freesat HD box in instead if the eircom option isn't up to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Hey all... moving to a non-UPC area and been looking at this with their fibre package. Any feedback from current users? Is it worth the punt or should I get the fibre and the TV elsewhere?

There's a dish in the new place and my TV supports Saorview so could easilt stick a Freesat HD box in instead if the eircom option isn't up to it...

You really need to find someone with it and have a play, some are very happy with it, others have little niggles like channels missing compared to sky or the writing being too small in the EPG on their size tv. I don't have it but from what I've seen of it I think it's very good but needs a decent size tv.

You really need to find someone with it and have a play, some are very happy with it, others have little niggles like channels missing compared to sky or the writing being too small in the EPG on their size tv. I don't have it but from what I've seen of it I think it's very good but needs a decent size tv.

Cheers ... missing channels wouldn't really be an issue as I don't watch much "live" TV anymore.

I've a 47" full-HD LG so that should be enough I'd hope - I was thinking more about from the point of view of stability/quality etc

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Cheers ... missing channels wouldn't really be an issue as I don't watch much "live" TV anymore.

I've a 47" full-HD LG so that should be enough I'd hope - I was thinking more about from the point of view of stability/quality etc

It'll be good as long as your broadband connection and internal phone cabling to the NTU is ok, get them to move the modem to the tv or run a cat5 cable rather than homeplugs as they can sometimes cause issues.

Stick to saorview and get humax freesat box and you won't look back.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Any word on them adding Remote Record to the box? Just got it in on the 6 month free trial, no contract deal. There are some negatives like missing channels, no app like the Sky+ add for remote recording etc. If things like this were introduced before the 6 month trial was up I'd probably cancel Sky and stick with eVision.

I've had it a few months now and it's.. ok

The picture quality is fine (I don't have HD so talking about the SD picture) and the channel line-up is "ok" with most of the major channels covered (excluding Sky 1/2) but the interface is awful, the EPG practically unusable and the box tends to run pretty hot. The broadband speed is excellent though and indeed better than the UPC I had previously (although I've since moved out of Dublin so presumably lower contention rates).

To be honest, I'm half-thinking of getting a cheap Sky TV deal to supplement it. The apartment is already wired so I've stuck a Sky Box in with a FTV card and it's just making me realise how much better their system is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why not try a Freesat box which is FTA and has a good interface?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I just a watched a demo of eVision and the interface seems just fine - looks better than either Sky or UPC because you can still see the programme that is on.

I was told that when eVision is on that it takes 15mb of the broadband.

That doesn't seem like much but has anybody found eVision would interfere with Netflix (or vice versa) when both are running at the same time.

I just a watched a demo of eVision and the interface seems just fine - looks better than either Sky or UPC because you can still see the programme that is on.

I was told that when eVision is on that it takes 15mb of the broadband.

That doesn't seem like much but has anybody found eVision would interfere with Netflix (or vice versa) when both are running at the same time.

That's not quite correct, they set you to a fixed profile with a reduced speed so there is always bandwidth for evision. Those with connections capable of 100mbit get fixed at 85 allowing 15mbit for evision so even if you completely max your connection there is no fight over bandwidth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

That's not quite correct, they set you to a fixed profile with a reduced speed so there is always bandwidth for evision. Those with connections capable of 100mbit get fixed at 85 allowing 15mbit for evision so even if you completely max your connection there is no fight over bandwidth

Yes I have evision now . Must be 18 months . No problems with Netflix etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

I haven't had an problems streaming while having the TV on as well.

If you do go with Eircom, make sure that you keep an eye on your bills. My bills are all over the place

Del007 wrote: »
    I haven't had an problems streaming while having the TV on as well.

If you do go with Eircom, make sure that you keep an eye on your bills. My bills are all over the place

i agree with you my inlaws recently upgraded to efibre and took the option of free evision for six months with one months free sky sports. Anyway the new bill is a mess and i had to ring eircom to try to interpret it...........seems if you take up the sky sports offer and it is mid billing cycle you get charged from when it is installed to when your bill is due, then the free month starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

Make sure you get your money back for the month they charged you the sky sports. I've had to do it loads of time. I'd imagine a lot of people don't bother to look at their bills which is probably what Eircom are hoping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

kooga wrote: »
    seems if you take up the sky sports offer and it is mid billing cycle you get charged from when it is installed to when your bill is
    due, then the free month starts.

I've not had this issue however I did take up a 2 month free offer over the xmas period of all movies and sports. When I spoke with the agent he advised me that the current billing period ends in 4 days and call back then to avail of the full 2 month package. So they have given me solid advice in the past.

On the overall TV experience I have found it to be excellent. I'm not really one to sit down and watch a lot of TV to be fair and don't tend to use the recording feature but the picture, signal, sound etc... are quite a bit better than I was getting through Sky. Interface takes getting used to if you are used to sky's which most are but personally I actually prefer it.

Advertisement