Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Origins Question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Spear wrote: »
    Got a source for that?
    Hopefully it's just a mistake or misunderstanding of some sort but here's one post from the Bioware forums:

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=702819&forum=146
    I've gotten my hands on the PS3 Collector's Edition, and, I guess in the end I'm a bit miffed, even if it's riddled full of wonderful things. When selecting the Soundtrack option on the Bonus Disc, it promply says to place the CD in your PC. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, except, the bonus disc was produced as a blu-ray.

My PC does not contain a blu-ray drive. In fact, I'd roll hard dice to say that most PS3 owners, as spendtrifty as they may be, don't have a blu-ray drive on their PC.

Why was this decision made? What would have been so hard as to put the soundtrack separate on a basic CD? Now I can't access the soundtrack at all! It was a nice selling point to the CE that I really wanted to be able to enjoy, now I question my CE purchase completely.

This really, really sucks.

I've been looking for an official anouncement of some kind, but so far it's just been people asking about it. It could be that it's only the PS3 CE version that does this as it'd be insane of them to go out of their way to do it for PC and xbox versions.

And the latest CE rumour I've heard is that you don't automatically get all the bonus items that you may get when you buy the game. I read on one forum of a guy saying that for some items you have to buy them in-game. Typical EA, even trying to take our hard earned virtual money! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Gametrailers put up a great video review which is great in itself and also compares the difference versions of the game.
    Score: 9.1

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-dragon-age/58516

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

humanji wrote: »
    Hopefully it's just a mistake or misunderstanding of some sort but here's one post from the Bioware forums:

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=702819&forum=146

I've been looking for an official anouncement of some kind, but so far it's just been people asking about it. It could be that it's only the PS3 CE version that does this as it'd be insane of them to go out of their way to do it for PC and xbox versions.

PS3 discs are BluRay normally, so this doesn't seem too solid a claim for that guy to make, sounds like a PS3 oddity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I'm not too well versed on the capabilites of PCs, so i'm just wondering from people's point of view, how would my laptop run this?

Windows vista 32bit
    Intel 2GHz dual core
    4gb ram
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 (The graphics card is what i'm most worried about :/)

I'm not too well versed on the capabilites of PCs, so i'm just wondering from people's point of view, how would my laptop run this?

Windows vista 32bit
    Intel 2GHz dual core
    4gb ram
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 (The graphics card is what i'm most worried about :/)
    I read on the Gamespot forum where a guy with a similar laptop was told that that he should be able to run it on medium to high settings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Right, so i've been playing it all day now, and i ****ing love it. It definitely reminds me of my first playthrough of Baldur's Gate 2 back when it was released. It feels suitably epic, and the scale of the game is there right from the start.

The graphics arent fantastic, but the artwork is nice and suits the feel of the game perfectly. Animation can be a bit dodgy at times, but not bad enough to really take away from the game. Music and sound is also pretty good. Storywise, its fantastic. The Origin stories are a brilliant touch, with your choices having a fairly big effect on your future meatings with characters. Kinda tempted to go back an try the Elven Mage origin story, after starting out as a Human Noble.

I had a moment just before going to work where a decision i made, which i thought was the best of a bad bunch of choices (playing as a good guy), resulted in a favourite party member shouting at me, saying that he will never forgive me. I was all like 'I'm sorry man, i tried my best', and he wasnt having any of it. I actually felt really bad :( I was genuinly tempted to restart the game, as i have a feeling that my decision is gonna have some pretty negative effects on me in a future meeting. (no relevant quicksave from before the decision)

All in all, 7 hours in and i'm loving it. I can say with a fair degree of certainty that it was worth the wait, and its gonna be my game of the year.
    humanji wrote: »
    And the latest CE rumour I've heard is that you don't automatically get all the bonus items that you may get when you buy the game. I read on one forum of a guy saying that for some items you have to buy them in-game. Typical EA, even trying to take our hard earned virtual money! :P
    This is true. You get some of the items in your inventory once you complete the Origin story, but you have to buy some of it from npc's in your camp.
    Windows vista 32bit
    Intel 2GHz dual core
    4gb ram
    You should be fine playing it on medium. While its a decent looking game, its not exactly next-gen in the graphics area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Drakar wrote: »
    Direct2drive, EA and Steam all allow you to preload and unlock at 12:01 on 6th. 20 euros cheaper on direct2drive seems a winner to me!

I tried to purchase through direct2drive uk but the transaction kept failing. Failed 3 times with paypal and once with my credit card. It's not my account as I was able to purchase another item there without any problems.

Has anyone managed to get it successfully from D2D? According to the site , it should be available to the UK and EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Kye1

I tried to purchase through direct2drive uk but the transaction kept failing. Failed 3 times with paypal and once with my credit card. It's not my account as I was able to purchase another item there without any problems.

Has anyone managed to get it successfully from D2D? According to the site , it should be available to the UK and EU.

I have the same problem. The lock has been lifted (extremely fast ticket support!) but bought the game from game.co.uk out of desperation. Was really hoping to play it at midnight rather then maybe be playing it friday morning.

If this is a common problem, then ill accept the fact that I will be having a sleepless night on friday.

Kye.

Kye1 wrote: »
    I have the same problem. The lock has been lifted (extremely fast ticket support!) but bought the game from game.co.uk out of desperation. Was really hoping to play it at midnight rather then maybe be playing it friday morning.

If this is a common problem, then ill accept the fact that I will be having a sleepless night on friday.

Kye.

I think they just had the security locks on Dragon age. I was able to buy another game without any problems. I got it sorted through the ticket system fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I bought it and have it preloaded, might have been a temporary thing, or something if you hadnt used them before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

from Kotaku

I have a relatively modest gaming computer, all things considered. It's got one of the first AMD Phenom processors in it from a few years back, 2GB of RAM, and a ATI Radeon 3850HD card in it. Not too powerful by today's standards, but... even once I maxed out the graphic settings in the game, the frame rate was still extremely smooth compared to the PlayStation 3 version, and large battles came to life in a whole new way, with a clarity the console version definitely lacked.

Drakar wrote: »
    I bought it and have it preloaded, might have been a temporary thing, or something if you hadnt used them before.

I think they may have been doing checks on the preorders of this game. I've bought a few games from them before. In fact after my 3 attempts failed with dragon age, I tried to pruchase another game and the worked ok. After I contacted their support, I was able to buy it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Few questions related to the game for those in the know or who have played it :)
    Not heard or read much about this game, so appreicate the help

Basically, I see people referring to it being like "Baldurs gate" , yet I've never played this.

- Is it a MMORPG, RPG, is there any form of multiplayer ??
    - Is it similar style/gameplay to oblivion , final fantasy, Guild Wars ?
    - Is it (1st / 3rd person) ?
    - Is it a game were your character levels up ?
    - How does the fighting work ?
    - Is there a huge story ?
    - Is it a more console or PC type game...I.e with all the interfaces etc , should i get it for 360 or PC (e.g Any mmorpg would need a PC, or is it a game i can lay back on the bed and chillax with a joypad) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

SeantheMan wrote: »
    - Is it a MMORPG, RPG, is there any form of multiplayer ??
    Its a cRPG, single player only.
    Is it similar style/gameplay to oblivion , final fantasy, Guild Wars ?
    Its like baldars gate :)
    Is it (1st / 3rd person) ?
    3rd
    Is it a game were your character levels up ?
    Yes
    No idea
    I believe so.
    - Is it a more console or PC type game...I.e with all the interfaces etc , should i get it for 360 or PC (e.g Any mmorpg would need a PC, or is it a game i can lay back on the bed and chillax with a joypad) ?
    Get it on the PC, user content will play a big part if its anything like nwn.

The same as any MMORPG, really. You right click on an enemy and you do you standard attack. Then you have your spells and abilities on a task bar at the bottom of the screen that you can click on. You a set amount of mana/stamina, so when you run out you can use your abilities until you restore your mana/stamina by drinking a potion etc.

On the PC version you can pause whenever you want, so that you can issue commands to your party members (you can have a group of 4 at any one time, I think). The console versions are more action orientated.
    It's monstrously big with many different ways of playing. Depending on which type of character you choose to play with, you also have one of 6 unique opening stories that relate to characters later on in the game and each take upto maybe an hour to complete if you take your time.
    I'd say go for PC. I'm not sure how it plays on console, but I could imagine it being awkward and fiddly. Plus, as already said, there'll be a lot of user content added later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Is the gameplay and combat a lot like kotor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Dramatic Exit

rejkin wrote: »
    Is the gameplay and combat a lot like kotor?
    For the combat, I think it's meant to be a bit more structured than kotor. Your tank will have taunt abilities (and need to use them), mages will do crowd control, squishies will stay at the back etc. Combat can apparently get pretty damn hard. :)

For the combat, I think it's meant to be a bit more structured than kotor. Your tank will have taunt abilities (and need to use them), mages will do crowd control, squishies will stay at the back etc. Combat can apparently get pretty damn hard. :)
    Yeah, that's what it's like. To be honest, when I started I just lashed all my guys towards the enemy. With the PC version, and especially when you're using mages, you end up pausing the game a lot to issue orders to your guys.

You can also give them specific tactics to work by when you're not controlling them. Like you can program a guy to take a healing potion when his health gets down to a certain level. Or how to react when they are attacked in certain ways.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So for anyone thats played it is the combat hard to get use to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

edit:snip

Looking forward to this, although the game had possibly the worst marketing of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ah balls to ye all. i have to buy it now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LemonSnake

Hi! Does anyone know if Dragon Age for PC is available in GAME shop in Ilac in Dublin? I know that I couldn't be more specific.:p Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

LemonSnake wrote: »
    Hi! Does anyone know if Dragon Age for PC is available in GAME shop in Ilac in Dublin? I know that I couldn't be more specific.:p Thanks in advance.

That's where I pre-ordered my collectors edition.

That's where I pre-ordered my collectors edition.
    Same here.;) So they didn't call you either? Because I was wondering if they forgot to call me or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Same here.;) So they didn't call you either? Because I was wondering if they forgot to call me or what.

I have never been called by Game regarding pre-orders, I just show up on the day and they will have a copy kept for me.

They never said they'd call to me at least.

I called them they'll get it tomorrow.:D

They never said they'd call to me at least.
    At least you weren't waiting for the call. They told me that they'll call on the day before it comes out.

BTW thanks for the fast answers. For you too wes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Dramatic Exit

Heads-up for anyone that ordered through Steam, unlock just switched to 6 hours :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

I noticed the steam unlock. Im waiting for game.co.uk to ship it to me

parcel was despatched early this morning ill probally have to wait till monday

Advertisement