Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

200motels wrote: »
    It won't work on the normal Sky+ box, a FTA card is giving out by Sky to UK customers for 20 pounds for those who don't want to subscribe to Sky and they get all the free to air channels, to get one over here you could try ebay.

Sorry to be pedantic but it is a FTV (free to view) card and not FTA (free to air). A sky box without any card becomes a FTA box similar to Freesat except with a few more channels on EPG e.g. Sky News. AFAIK a FTV card costs now c£25 for those in UK and gives extra channels on EPG rather than just FTA e.g.Five and its associates as well as correct BBC/ITV regions on Channels 101-103. Without this card the box defaults to BBC1 London/BBC2 England /ITV 1Central West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Sorry to be pedantic but it is a FTV (free to view) card and not FTA (free to air). A sky box without any card becomes a FTA box similar to Freesat except with a few more channels on EPG e.g. Sky News. AFAIK a FTV card costs now c£25 for those in UK and gives extra channels on EPG rather than just FTA e.g.Five and its associates as well as correct BBC/ITV regions on Channels 101-103. Without this card the box defaults to BBC1 London/BBC2 England /ITV 1Central West.
    Okay that's what I meant to say, the new HD boxes don't default to the English epg they default to the Irish Epg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Great info just tried this & now have all itv's on epg but c5 did not stay on epg!! Followed steps as posted but to no avail, samsung hd box & london region ftv card used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Okay that's what I meant to say, the new HD boxes don't default to the English epg they default to the Irish Epg.

No problem. Often feel its unfair that those with 'Irish' HD boxes end up with nothing to see on 101-4 when there's no card in the box whereas those in UK at least get default channels 'in the clear.'

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

bodonnell wrote: »
    Great info just tried this & now have all itv's on epg but c5 did not stay on epg!! Followed steps as posted but to no avail, samsung hd box & london region ftv card used

Same as me!!
    Hopefully someone here will come to our aid soon!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

bodonnell wrote: »

This is because C5 is encrypted in London region and requires a FTV card to view. The channels you have on the epg are Free To AIR .. and associated with the region of your FTV card

But I have a Northwestern card (granada) and mines doing them same?

Is there a different channel 5 frequency we can tune into other channels???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Lads, looks like you need the right FTV card to get channel 5 in the clear, so far it seems only mine works and it's region is BBC South West / ITV West country.

Hopefully we'll be able to build a list of which FTV cards give all the channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Did this earlier today and I get BBC1 and BBC2 Wales along side RTE on Epg and UTV on 103 instead of HTV also theres no ITV HD on the Epg.I used a Welsh region old blue FTV card.Both regions are in my other channels.
    Any ideas why this should happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Did this earlier today and I get BBC1 and BBC2 Wales along side RTE on Epg and UTV on 103 instead of HTV also theres no ITV HD on the Epg.I used a Welsh region old blue FTV card.Both regions are in my other channels.
    Any ideas why this should happen?

Did you get ITV2/3/4 and BBC News in the EPG?

Christo
    Yes get all thev ITVs except ITV HD on the Epg and get UTV instead of HTV on 103.Probably dont get ITV HD because its not on the NI Epg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Could the mods move this thread to the Sticky: UK FTA TUNING GUIDE - BBC/ITV/C4/C5/HD & MORE!
    where it would still be available to help people,but wouldn't be glaringly obvious to the TV3's etc and just maybe we might get to hold onto this little gem of a software glitch for the foreseeable future ?

Totally agree with galtee-boy that it should be moved to the sticky UK FTA TUNING GUIDE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Did this yesterday on a Samsung box and works perfectly, thanks all. Also had BBC1 HD tuned in b4 so got that too. For those that don't have C5 try adding all the encrypted regions on 12422H and see if it appears on 105 for ye then. Of course you wont be able to see it using an Irish card but once Astra 1N takes over it's expected to go FTA so at least you'll have it on the guide already if the software glitch is patched. Might be an idea to add 5* and 5USA as well.
    I have a west midlands card and that region directs to the FTA C5.

Oh and defo agree with merging/hiding this thread.

Pete2k wrote: »
    Did this yesterday on a Samsung box and works perfectly, thanks all. Also had BBC1 HD tuned in b4 so got that too. For those that don't have C5 try adding all the encrypted regions on 12422H and see if it appears on 105 for ye then. Of course you wont be able to see it using an Irish card but once Astra 1N takes over it's expected to go FTA so at least you'll have it on the guide already if the software glitch is patched. Might be an idea to add 5* and 5USA as well.
    I have a west midlands card and that region directs to the FTA C5.

Oh and defo agree with merging/hiding this thread.

That worked,I have channel 5 now but now it says "This programme is not available 08" on channel 5!!HELP

celj wrote: »
    That worked,I have channel 5 now but now it says "This programme is not available 08" on channel 5!!HELP
    That particular CH5 is not free to air, you will need a white card for freeview, the reason why you are getting this channel is not available is you have an Irish card in the box.

I have a FTV card,I have all the channel 5's (4) saved in other channels and still getting the message.
    Its showing up under the Irish card with the trick shown here,just not available!

It's wrecking my head as that's the channel I really need for the wife for Big Brother!:(

I have a FTV card,I have all the channel 5's (4) saved in other channels and still getting the message.
    Its showing up under the Irish card with the trick shown here,just not available!

It's wrecking my head as that's the channel I really need for the wife for Big Brother!:(

You will need a FTV card from a different region to get it working. Your current card is from a region that directs to one of the encrypted C5's. If you get a card from a region that has the FTA version of C5 at 105 then it'll work.
    I have a West Mids card and that directs to the FTA version. Not sure which other regions direct to this one but I think most south/central regions of England (outside London) do.

You will need a FTV card from a different region to get it working. Your current card is from a region that directs to one of the encrypted C5's. If you get a card from a region that has the FTA version of C5 at 105 then it'll work.
    I have a West Mids card and that directs to the FTA version. Not sure which other regions direct to this one but I think most south/central regions of England (outside London) do.

Ah for God's sake!

Just my luck the one channel I need won't work.:(

Ah for God's sake!

Just my luck the one channel I need won't work.:(

Where are you located?

gtg60 wrote: »
    Where are you located?

I'm living in Cork.Got FTV card off friend who lives in Manchester.

Oh right, if you were close I would have offered you a loan of it :(

Thanks anyway!
    Anyone know when these 5 channels will be unencrypted??

There are FOUR Channel 5 regions, only one is on Astra 2D and that's the one that is unencrypted, the others will stay encrypted until they move to 2D too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

would you consider giving me a loan of your card? I live in North Dublin but would be willing to travel to meet up with you. I'd really appreciate it.

Plenty of FTV cards on ebay for not much more than a tenner. Just be sure to ask the seller what region it's from- anything from London, Scotland and the north of England (Granada, Yorkshire, Border region, etc.) is a no-no. Also from October Northern Ireland will have it's own region so although working now chances are it wont from then on. Midlands, Wales, Anglia, Meridian region cards should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Plenty of FTV cards on ebay for not much more than a tenner. Just be sure to ask the seller what region it's from- anything from London, Scotland and the north of England (Granada, Yorkshire, Border region, etc.) is a no-no. Also from October Northern Ireland will have it's own region so although working now chances are it wont from then on. Midlands, Wales, Anglia, Meridian region cards should be fine.

From October its likely that all Channel Five regions including the new Northern Ireland one will be free to air on Astra 1n.

givecredit wrote: »
    From October its likely that all Channel Five regions including the new Northern Ireland one will be free to air on Astra 1n.

Lets hope so, would be nice to have 5* & 5USA on the Irish guide and recordable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

I have an old blue card that I used to use in a spare box before getting multi room, its well over a year since last used.

Anyway just tried this now in my amstrad hd box and with blue card in and after reboot the epg just remains Irish with 'this programme is not available' on the screen. Is the card dead do you think or is there something else I could be doing wrong ?

v10 wrote: »
    Anyway just tried this now in my amstrad hd box and with blue card in and after reboot the epg just remains Irish with 'this programme is not available' on the screen. Is the card dead do you think or is there something else I could be doing wrong ?

All blue cards are now dead however they still load up the channels. Did you follow the instructions in this thread? You mentioned after 'rebooting', if you did that it definitely won't work.

Thanks for the reply, Sorry I said reboot but what I did was remove the sky card, power off at mains, insert the blue card and power back up. When it came back up it still had the Irish epg.

Any ideas ? Thanks.

Have your stored all the matching regions in 'Other channels'?

v10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, Sorry I said reboot but what I did was remove the sky card, power off at mains, insert the blue card and power back up. When it came back up it still had the Irish epg.

Any ideas ? Thanks.
    Try turning it off with Irish card in the box then take it out put in the blue card wait a few minsk then press Sky on remote and see if you have English EPG if you have turn it off take out the blue card and put in white card and it should work, make sure you have channels in other channels saved. Hope this helps, it won't work on Thomson boxes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just to acknowledge the various requests we have recieved regarding this thread. We're considering the issues raised.

thanks for the suggestions but still no luck.. I've a heap of channels stored in other channels but I would have expected to get a UK epg with the blue card in ? Tried 200motels suggestion also but same result. I might leave the uk card in overnight see if anything happens !?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Unbelievable! BBC1 HD, ITV1HD, Channel 5, all the ITVs and the +1s, BBC News, Alba, Parliament on the EPG for me now, well done OP, brilliant find! Now Mods, get rid of this thread quick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Unbelievable! BBC1 HD, ITV1HD, Channel 5, all the ITVs and the +1s, BBC News, Alba, Parliament on the EPG for me now, well done OP, brilliant find! Now Mods, get rid of this thread quick!!
    Been a bit selfish there are we??? :)
    "I'll have my combo EPG, but no one else can!!! "

It's the internet, there is not way of conrolling this type of info once it is discovered!!!

Been a bit selfish there are we??? :)
    "I'll have my combo EPG, but no one else can!!! "

It's the internet, there is not way of conrolling this type of info once it is discovered!!!
    It doesn't matter Sky knows about this quirk and at the moment they can't do anything about it as it's down to the updated software that's on the new boxes in regard to anytime plus. That's what a Sky installer told me last night. Now whether he's telling me the truth is anyones guess. My nephew is a software engineer and he said that it's a simple fix for Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alfreg

Super all worked for me with a BBC East & ITV Anglia card :D. Now to find a way of deleteing TV3!

alfreg wrote: »
    Super all worked for me with a BBC East & ITV Anglia card :D. Now to find a way of deleteing TV3!
    If only we could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Nice one! Just FYI - It also works using multiple FTV cards to add the channels you want. I used an expired white UK card from East Anglia to add Channel 5 and ITVs etc and then used an old blue FTV UK London postcode card to get BBC1 London on 101.

Shame my box didn't have BBC 1 HD in other channels before the DVB-S2 TP change....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

So not as good as it first seemed then - only certain regional cards work and even then BBC 1 HD is still off limits unless it was manually tuned before the switch to DVB-S2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

Worked great for me, I have an old Blue card that I got about 6 years ago. West Country EPG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

rlogue wrote: »
    So not as good as it first seemed then - only certain regional cards work and even then BBC 1 HD is still off limits unless it was manually tuned before the switch to DVB-S2.

Any regional cards should add All BBC channels (BBC 1 + 2 London/england, scotland, wales, BBC News) ITV1 London and Channel 4 and +1 London area to the 900s area of your epg and ITV 2, 3 AND 4 To entertainment area. Then the regional cards with free to air versions of ITV and Ch5 will add itv to 103 and five to 105

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Wow what a great find, utv on 103 and tv3 also on 103, Channel 5 on 105 and all recording. Thanks a million.

givecredit wrote: »
    Any regional cards should add All BBC channels (BBC 1 + 2 London/england, scotland, wales, BBC News) ITV1 London and Channel 4 and +1 London area to the 900s area of your epg and ITV 2, 3 AND 4 To entertainment area. Then the regional cards with free to air versions of ITV and Ch5 will add itv to 103 and five to 105
    Which regions will give you Ch5 just out of interest.

East Anglia does.
    London doesn't.
    Neither of those seem to give ITV1 or ITV HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi all.
    Just came across this thread and find it really interesting.
    I have UTV and Channel 5 set up as other channels and obviously this means I cant record anything ....but would really love to have that facility.
    I know that what Im asking here has already been answered in previous replies but Im going to be a pain and ask again!!
    I have 2 Sky+ boxes for different rooms in the house but since I got Sky installed I have never had either box plugged into the phone line.
    If I do go down the route of what the other posts suggest does this mean I would have to apply for 2 UK FTV cards?
    If I did get them do you think by ringing Sky to get them activated I will just be highlighting the fact that I dont have the boxes connected to a phone line?
    Also just a bit confused as to what exactly you end up with if all went well....are these extra channels just inserted into the channell list?
    Thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

MBSnr wrote: »
    East Anglia does.
    London doesn't.
    Neither of those seem to give ITV1 or ITV HD.

London gets you ITV1 London (103) & ITV1 HD (178).

Hmmm I might look/try again but I didn't have either ITV 1 SD/HD.... but I did put in the East Anglia card first so perhaps a power cycle is needed and start over.