Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos thread (Target Shooting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

"Whoa, I like totally don't have a clue about firearms, I'm just holding this to look cool, dude!"

Indeed. I don't know what that thing is, but he's not pointing it at a target and he's got his finger inside the trigger guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Zakalwe wrote:
    Indeed. I don't know what that thing is, but he's not pointing it at a target and he's got his finger inside the trigger guard.
    It's an M60. It's having his finger inside the trigger guard that gives him away, his point of aim isn't particularly important once he isn't pointing it at someone's head, and he knows (as in has checked personally) that the weapon is safe and unloaded

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

The hammer toes look kinda dangerous too :D:D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Was over in Bisley this weekend and got some photos, so here they are. There's got to be a person or two out there that's not seen the place yet :)
    (and for those who don't know, Bisley Camp is the site of the UK's National Rifle Association and National Smallbore Rifle Association's headquarters and main ranges. It hosts a lot of competitions, most famously Bisley Week in August - a full week of fullbore and smallbore rifle competitions).

Bunhill Lodge. Most of the accomodations in the camp are like this - small chalet-type accomodations, military in nature, usually somewhat basic but clean and relatively comfortable. There's a lot of caravans on site as well, and when it gets really busy, the tents make an appearance in force as well!

DSCF1719.JPG

One of the smaller outdoor ranges (the 600yd century range). This was taken from the outdoor picnic table at the Artists Rifle Club lodge, which is next door to the Bunhill lodge above. So you could sit there eating your breakfast watching a hundred or so shooters blasting away with fullbores :)

DSCF1726.JPG

This is the Lord Roberts Center from the back as you approach it. The concrete wall encloses the 50m ISSF range (80 firing points, all suis ascor electronic targets).

DSCF1727.JPG

And from the front:

DSCF1732.JPG

The air rifle range upstairs in the Lord Roberts, with suis ascor targets. There are three of these rooms, but it's really just one long room with partition walls. There is a problem with the floor, alas, between girders it vibrates up and down by up to 5mm in each direction :(

DSCF1733.JPG

There are partitions up and electric target changers for training purposes - for ISSF training you don't always shoot at a normal target, sometimes it's a vertical line, sometimes a horizontal one, sometimes a blank target, etc.

DSCF1734.JPG

However, to pay bills, some of the air rifle range has been temporarily converted to be an indoor roller hockey rink!

DSCF1737.JPG

And the NSRA headquarters main offices. Beats our setup - the NTSA gets run from people's kitchens, bedrooms, home offices, whereever we can find space, and we sure don't have all that much in the way of office equipment!

DSCF1738.JPG
    DSCF1739.JPG

And one of the new stiffness gauges being used to check a shooting jacket in the judges' course I was on. The new 2005 ISSF rules are coming down hard on Equipment Control for competitions, because the rules were being pushed rather hard by some shooters up to the Athens Games, so the rules and their enforcement is being pushed harder back to keep the playing field even.

DSCF1709.JPG
    DSCF1710.JPG

Some photos from the UCD Open last year.

DSCF1243a.JPG

DSCF1259a.JPG

DSCF1261a.JPG

DSCF1267a.JPG

DSCF1357a.JPG

That last one is the software from the electronic target scorer that's a few posts back. As each shot in the final is shot and scored (ten-shot finals are shot one shot at a time, and are scored before the next shot is taken, just to crank up the pressure :) ), the scores are put up graphically for the spectators to get a better idea of how the final is going.

• Advertisement

And what's a photos thread without photos of rifles? Two Walthers for you, firstly the current top-of-the-line air rifle:

Walther_LG300_Alutec.jpg

And the top-of-the-line smallbore rifle:

Walther_KK300.jpg

Lovely Feinwerkbau 700 ALU in the first two pictures there Sparks.

Zakalwe wrote:
    Lovely Feinwerkbau 700 ALU in the first two pictures there Sparks.
    Yup. Not mine, sadly :D
    This one's mine:
    DSCF1272.JPG

Sparks wrote:
    Yup. Not mine, sadly :D

What's wrong with your 2002 CA? If you don't want it........

Zakalwe wrote:
    What's wrong with your 2002 CA? If you don't want it........

Nothing wrong with it, but the 700's got a cantable foreend which would make for a more stable position for me. Plus it's newer and shinier :D

• Advertisement

You know, there's this theory that it's only the last inch or so of the barrel of an air pistol that makes any difference to its accuracy. There was apparently a bit of debate about this, and finally to settle it, Anschutz tried this little experiment:

cbfu3540_std.jpg

And yes, it shoots straight and as accurately as normal air pistols :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Erm.........................................

ignoring Herr Anschutz's hat( :eek: ), what are we looking at here??? :confused:

Is the golden bit in his right hand the CO2 (or whatever) reservoir and is the narrow black bar/tube around it the barrel?

Rovi wrote:
    Erm.........................................
    ignoring Herr Anschutz's hat( :eek: ), what are we looking at here??? :confused:
    That hat actually belongs to Scott Pilkington (of www.pilkguns.com, who runs www.targettalk.org, a US version of this forum), but we're looking at the barrel of the air pistol he's holding.
    Is the golden bit in his right hand the CO2 (or whatever) reservoir and is the narrow black bar/tube around it the barrel?
    Yup, exactly. A full 360 degree spiral around the compressed air tank. And it shoots as straight as the conventional air pistols. It's a neat way to prove your point though :D

Picture37.jpg

Fun from a few years ago (2000 if I remember correctly) in East Antrim Rifle Club, shooting air pistol. (Not very well, I might add, but 'twas fun nonetheless).

And .22 pistol as well:

Picture13.jpg

Picture16.jpg

Three photos from the Munich World Cup in 2001:

A rather badly composited panorama of the range/hotel complex from the entrance:

MWC_RangeComposite.jpg

The air rifle finals hall - notice the electronic scoring and the monitors above each shooter fed by a camera focussed on the shooter's face!

MWC1.jpg

And one of the Irish National Squad being measured for a shooting jacket by Mouche with their new measuring, er, harness :D

MWC2.jpg

One of DURC's ex-Captains doing some 100 yard shooting at Comber:

11.jpg

The target, zoomed in a bit (you can't quite tell, but it was raining and the card was flapping in the breeze, and the sod shooting still won the match...)

12.jpg

Photos from InterShoot are up here and here for those interested.

Sparks wrote:
    Photos from InterShoot
    Ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh................................................
    http://www.intershoot.nl/index_files/AUT_0224.html

<joey from friends>
    "How YOU doin'?"
    </joey from friends>

Perhaps there's more to this target lark than I first suspected :D:D:D

Well, I suppose, but personally I thought the Swedish women's Air Rifle team was more, erm, aesthetic. Mind you, I've heard the lady shooters have similar thoughts regarding the Italian and French men's teams, so what's saucy for the gander, etc, etc...

Well, if it's Swedish shooters you want, take a look here

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

sbt_group_prematch2.jpg

sorry sparks - their gear is way cooler then yours :D

DSCF1271.JPG

sorry sparks - their gear is way cooler then yours :D

It's definitely cooler, the poor ladies look like they're freezing :D

An old photo, the 2001 Irish shooters in the Isle of Man Easter Competition:
    normal_iom.jpg

Daniel trying out his new custom raiser blocks at the Wilkinstown open. Just barely within the rules, but they seem to work quite well. (Must see if I can get a set for .22 standing actually :D )

DSCF2161.JPG

Preparing for the third detail on the saturday. An entire line full of air pistols for that detail.

DSCF2142.JPG

Steven trying out air pistol for the first time (odd, since he's Manx and they've had pistols forever, but some people just don't shoot some disciplines I guess). Happily, we've now found something we can finally beat him at :D

DSCF2146.JPG

Of course not everything went according to plan. Nicola waiting here during a ceasefire while Matt fixed a problem with a target changer downrange. (It's a bit hard to see from this angle, but if you look at the windage dial on her rearsight you can see the cocking lever of the air rifle up, indicating that the rifle's action is open and the rifle is safe).

DSCF2150.JPG

One of the more ... interesting training photos you can take!
    (The rifle, by the way, was checked twice by myself before going downrange so I knew it was empty - don't try taking this kind of photo without making sure yourself! In fact, the only reason the action was closed at all is that you can't see through the sights of a 600 series rifle with the action open - had it been a P70 or a 2002, the action would have been left open).

DURC%20inter-varsities%202005%20-%2039.jpg

The DURC Colours team at the post-Intervarsity celebrations, celebrating their victory over the UCD Colours team. Now this is the fun side of shooting :D

DURC%20inter-varsities%202005%20-%2012.jpg

The Wilkinstown team in Bisley (in front of the LMRA) for the airgun championships earlier this year (nice to see the sport is a long way from decline, with teams this large being fielded, isn't it?):

DSCF1951.JPG

And again, along with morale support, in Wilkinstown for the post-trip review meeting (and a presentation from the NCTC on planning for sport and nutrition for sport) a few weeks later:

DSCF1976.JPG

Where presentations were made to the people who made the trip (and the winning of several medals!) possible -

Geoff, who's the heart of air rifle shooting in the ROI at the moment:

DSCF1974.JPG

Matt, who's the kick in the arse for the air rifle shooters in WTSC and elsewhere :D

DSCF1972.JPG

Leslie, who organised all the logistics of getting the team over to Bisley and back and around on the ground in Bisley itself:

DSCF1971.JPG

And Paul, who covered all the logistics that Leslie didn't over in Bisley, driving the other van, looking after the non-shooters who went with the team for both morale support and to act as childrens' officers (which is a legal requirement with any sports club that has under-18s members in it) and so on:

DSCF1973.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Whats with the headbands, some people look like the armed wing of the mark knopfler fan club!!

Seriously though what do you use the stands for? is it for sight setting (zeroing??)

Nuttzz wrote:
    Whats with the headbands, some people look like the armed wing of the mark knopfler fan club!!
    :D:D:D
    I love it!

I would have gone more for the Borg-McEnroe Armed Response Unit-
    4qrgxu
    They still need to work on the hair though :D
    Nuttzz wrote:
    Seriously though what do you use the stands for? is it for sight setting (zeroing??)
    I'm sure Sparks will correct me if I'm wrong, but I would have thought that they were a convenient place to leave the rifle down close to hand, close to the shooter's 'shooting position'.

• Advertisement

Oi, there'll be no slagging of Mark Knopfler, thankyouverymuch! :D The headbands both keep out sweat (anyone who thinks that shooting standing for an hour and forty-five minutes isn't a tough job hasn't ever tried it :D ) and provide a means to attach blinders over the non-aiming eye.
    I'm sure Sparks will correct me if I'm wrong, but I would have thought that they were a convenient place to leave the rifle down close to hand, close to the shooter's 'shooting position'.
    In air rifle, yup - in smallbore rifle when standing, it also means you can load the rifle a lot more safely because the barrel's always pointed downrange.

Advertisement