Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gomorra the Series (Sky Atlantic)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk of this show! I'm only a few episodes in but already this is, by far, the best tv series I've watched. Absolutely incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

yes indeed it is :) maybe the subtitles put people off but its really worth the effort :) A mafia program with real Italians :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Threads merged.

Well that was fantastic, just finished. Unbelievable stuff to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

What a great show.

I have to agree with diego_b above, that the fact it is subtitled means you have to give it your full attention, but for this it is very rewarding. Sometimes it strayed towards the far fetched (As already discussed with Gennys transformation) but I agree the guy is a complete Moron.

Fantastic characters, Don Pietro and Lady Imma were immense any time they were on screen. It was great to see Lady Imma play a strong female role (although she was a complete bitch at times) it makes a refreshing change to have a female character show that strength and try to play the controlling role. The twists in Ciros character development and life were epic too, as I constantly questioned whether he was someone who I wanted to succeed or if he actually was the biggest sleaze ball of the whole show!

The whole story about Danielino and Manu was very well done and really hit home at the mindless manipulation of the culture of gang crime. The speech the priest gave was fantastic, and also quite funny how he could be the only person to condemn the violence and bloodshed without any consequences. This was really played up with the young gang being complete and utter gun toting maniacs, really juxtaposing the early sense of glamour that this world of crime may often be portrayed with Don Pietro and Lady Immas early episodes.

I will definetly be giving season 1 another run in a few months.

A lot of the plot has been exposed here but I will cover up some of this:
    For season 2 I don’t know what to expect. Conte is a great character and is efficiently ruthless to really take hold of Naples.
    Ciro is going to be gouged from all angles as Conte will want his balls for not finishing off Genny and I cant see Don Pietro taking him back under his wing after him snuffing out his wife and trying to do Genny.
    It was unclear to me who instigated the freedom of Don Pietro, Genny didn’t seem to have a clue what was going on when he seen him being so lethargic and depressed in prison. If Don Pietro wants to wage war or revenge, how many of his allies/ soldiers are still alive? I don’t really see him commanding respect from whatever is left of the younger generation. I would assume we will see season 2 show where Don Pietro was brought in the van after the rescue and a gang of old chums will go ass kicking. (possibly some of his family who were in prison with him but were released?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

gucci wrote: »
    What a great show.
    It was unclear to me who instigated the freedom of Don Pietro, Genny didn’t seem to have a clue what was going on when he seen him being so lethargic and depressed in prison. If Don Pietro wants to wage war or revenge, how many of his allies/ soldiers are still alive? I don’t really see him commanding respect from whatever is left of the younger generation. I would assume we will see season 2 show where Don Pietro was brought in the van after the rescue and a gang of old chums will go ass kicking. (possibly some of his family who were in prison with him but were released?)
    Only watched the final episode once but at the time I thought it was one of Don Pietros old gang who broke him out. Can't remember his name but the guy who walked away when Ciro was trying to convince the old gang they had to go to war with Genny and his crew. I think....open to correction on this.

The Bogman wrote: »
    Only watched the final episode once but at the time I thought it was one of Don Pietros old gang who broke him out. Can't remember his name but the guy who walked away when Ciro was trying to convince the old gang they had to go to war with Genny and his crew. I think....open to correction on this.
    Yes that would make sense, there was so much carnage in the last episode or 2 it was difficult to decifer who was left. The worst was the one who was returning from lady Immas funeral with his wife and children and made the break to go back to his wife in the car.....i did not think that really made sense, he brought his family back into danger by making that move, but did he actually get away in the end? I think he actually did?

The Genny transformation was explained. His own mother was whimsical about whether he lived or died in Honduras. He had to butcher a fellow prisoner with a machete and hack him into pieces. When the Hondurans let him go he had lost any last ounce of humanity left in him

The crazy thing is that most of these story lines are based in reality. The African drive by shooting actually happened. The Manu storyline actually happened.

Putinovsky or anyone else, have you read the book? Is it worth a read or how well does it translate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

gucci wrote: »
    Putinovsky or anyone else, have you read the book? Is it worth a read or how well does it translate?

English translation was fine for me. If you have an interest into the inner workings of organised crime go for it, He really gets deep into how the different Camorra clans run their business and interact with each other. I was amazed at how sophisticated an operation it is, they've literally hundreds of different interests and have surpassed the likes of Cosa Nostra in Sicily in their size and power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

nxt season not out til 2016 i read... prob the best first season of any show i can remember

nxt season not out til 2016 i read... prob the best first season of any show i can remember

Jaysus thats a long time to wait! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Just watched the first two episodes tonight, I like it, definitely need to watch it all! Pain in me hole that I can't take my eyes off the TV in case I miss any dialogue though!

I was going to watch the last episode again and I've noticed depending where you go to watch it the english translations can be off. I found a site with the entire series online and perfect translations so browse around if the translations are off for you.

The entire series is available on sky on demand from tomorrow anyway.

It would make sense that there is some differences with the subtitles as I read that even in Italy, it was broadcast with Italian subtitles because the characters use a very thick Neopolitan (not sure if i spelled that correct!) diallect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Putinovsky wrote: »
    ................... The entire series is available on sky on demand from tomorrow anyway.

Just had a quick look ,for those without sky the first 8 episodes (maybe all) are on you tube .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Finished s01. Absolutely excellent show.

I wasn't into watching subtitled films until I watched The Raid and realised the standard of foreign films I was missing out on. I still wouldn't commit to watching a subtitled TV show but seeing this show being included in the same sentences as The Wire made me reconsider foreign shows. Having seen this now I've also changed my opinion on foreign shows. Someone, I think ITT, said this show makes love/hate look like child's play and I think it's totally true. I don't think I've seen a story as realistically portrayed on TV as this since The Wire, and I have watched a LOT of fuking shows. Something about the look and feel of it just sets it apart from the usual crime dramas. Then there's the characters themselves and their stories which, similarly to The Wire, run alongside one another perfectly and make you actually give a sh!t about them and where they're going to end up. I liked how almost every episode introduced and tackled new topics, like Pietro going to prison and Genny influencing the politics in the area and Ciro having to setup and manage the dealing spot + go to Spain and play Russian roulette with Russian gangsters lmao, and it felt a bit like a mini-series.

The change in Genny from the beginning to the end was brilliant. Most of us here probably hated him at the start because he seemed like a useless spoilt prick and then he leaves and returns like some badass long lost twin who had gone to war and seen some sh!t. Just a pity we didn't get any scenes of his trip showing why he changed how he did though because that's really the only bad thing I can think of about the show.

Definitely gonna rewatch it before season 2 in 2016.

Just finished this last night, great show! Very brutal in parts D: I agree with doyouevenlift, it was a bit of a jump to go from the retard genny to stone cold killer genny without having seen anything from his trip. Although, I presume chopping up a man would definitely fcuk you up :P I hate ciro and I truly hope the prick gets fcuking tortured in the next series!
    Poor Daniel, and his moth Manu, rough :(
    2016 is a ridiculous length of time to wait, argh!

Just finished this last night, great show! Very brutal in parts D: I agree with doyouevenlift, it was a bit of a jump to go from the retard genny to stone cold killer genny without having seen anything from his trip. Although, I presume chopping up a man would definitely fcuk you up :P I hate ciro and I truly hope the prick gets fcuking tortured in the next series!
    Poor Daniel, and his moth Manu, rough :(
    2016 is a ridiculous length of time to wait, argh!

Haha why? Ciro was treated like sh!t by Imma and Genny in the latter half of the season after the risk he took for them and the business by going to speak with with Conte on his own. After what he ended up doing in Spain and almost dying he also changed and seemed to have a "fuk everyone else, I'm only looking out for myself from now on" attitude...Pietro seemed to have been on his side by the looks of things also lol

Haha why? Ciro was treated like sh!t by Imma and Genny in the latter half of the season after the risk he took for them and the business by going to speak with with Conte on his own. After what he ended up doing in Spain and almost dying he also changed and seemed to have a "fuk everyone else, I'm only looking out for myself from now on" attitude...Pietro seemed to have been on his side by the looks of things also lol

because I foolishly thought he was gonna be a good guy at the beginning and then he let me down with the killing and torturing, the prick! he's just ruthless and I hate him!
    there's not one main good guy in the whole show, they're all scumbags! and I love it :P

• Advertisement

Personally I think that is the beauty/genius of the show. There are no heroes. The pace / angle of the show is to show each character for what he or she is, sometimes your toyed into thinking you might like them or that they are almost a loveable rogue….but the cold hard reality of gang culture and survival means they ultimately will only look after themselves and will do so by any means. Any sense of glamour (or tackiness…depending on your taste!) of the mafia lifestyle was well and truly obliterated by the end of the season.

But despite being a complete bunch of horrible b*****ds I was gripped by every single second of this and loved it all.

Also how many of you have tried to rap in Italian? When watching the end credits….only me? oh ok then…….

because I foolishly thought he was gonna be a good guy at the beginning and then he let me down with the killing and torturing, the prick! he's just ruthless and I hate him!
    there's not one main good guy in the whole show, they're all scumbags! and I love it :P

Yeah, it's like Sopranos in that sense, just when you see a character do something nice and good and make you think they're redeeming themselves as possibly decent human beings...they go and kill someone heartlessly lol

Yeah, it's like Sopranos in that sense, just when you see a character do something nice and good and make you think they're redeeming themselves as possibly decent human beings...they go and kill someone heartlessly lol

remember when imma brought the loan shark up onto the roof? fcuk that was brutal, i gasped! she didnt even flinch! D:

remember when imma brought the loan shark up onto the roof? fcuk that was brutal, i gasped! she didnt even flinch! D:

Yeah, same with
    the scene where the young members kill Zecchinetta, I didn't even expect him to actually kill him but even if I did I would've expected a small bit of a pause for dramatic effect like movies and TV shows normally do but nope, kid shoots him in the head without even thinking about it, ruthless fuks.

Yeah, same with
    the scene where the young members kill Zecchinetta, I didn't even expect him to actually kill him but even if I did I would've expected a small bit of a pause for dramatic effect like movies and TV shows normally do but nope, kid shoots him in the head without even thinking about it, ruthless fuks.

that is exactly what i was saying! there is no hollywood bullsh!t before someone gets killed, its just boom! and they trot off like its no big deal!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Still reeling from the sheer awesomeness of this show...I've ordered the DVD on amazon as an xmas pressie for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Unbelievable show, makes Love Hate look like fair city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Anyone been following this? Just finished season one and I think it's outstanding.
    Should appeal to fans of the Sopranos, The Wire etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Do you need to watch the movie first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Threads merged.

• Advertisement

harney wrote: »
    Do you need to watch the movie first?

No. It's set in the same area but the stories are separate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Unbelievable show, makes Love Hate look like fair city

Its absolutely top class alright. Best show I've watched in a long time. Some harrowing stuff in it.

Things are actually that bad over there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Late to the party but tried this out a few days ago and ended up binge watching it :pac:

Brilliant TV, this should more popular since it had one of the most consistently entertaining 1st seasons of any show I've seen in years that finished up with a great finale and twist.

Roll on season 2, whenever the hell that'll be (hearing dates for all over the place)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

I didn't realise there was a thread already about this. It just entered my radar when someone mentioned it in the "favourite show of 2014" thread a couple of weeks ago.

I've recommended it to a few mates and we all love it. Such a fantastic series.

Yeah I have no idea when the second season will be out, but will definitely give the first season another viewing or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I just finished watching this and i cant recomend it enough. Awesome program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

Tilly wrote: »
    I just finished watching this and i cant recomend it enough. Awesome program.

Really is a top series. Looks beautiful and is the first show i recommend to anyone that asks. It's such a re-watchable show also.

It got renewed for a second season recently and think they're starting filming soon. Don't know when the air date is.

Started filming last month :D.

Counting the days till season 2.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/gomorrah-to-return-for-second-series/5083974.article

http://www.screendaily.com/news/gomorrah-to-return-for-second-series/5083974.article

yeay! wonder how long til it hits the screens? cant wait, will probably rewatch it just before the 2nd series starts

yes-rudy1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

yeay! wonder how long til it hits the screens? cant wait, will probably rewatch it just before the 2nd series starts

I've already re-watched the last episode of Season 1. Not sure I'll be able to watch Season 2 week by week. Prefer to binge on it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I kinda liked the Zeccinetta character .......
    pity he was wasted

So its back on sky Atlantic this year. Not sure when,but probably not till the Autumn .

Just a reminder of the ending for any fans.

Counting the days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Great, can't wait to see what has happened since

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭nu_90

starts next month ...... A re- run of season 1 must be on soon, anyone spot it advertised ? herself never seen it and would i would not mind watching it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭cozar

It's back on May 10th. Series 1 on demand. Just watched last episode...stunning!

Season one recap Thursday 02:45am sky Atlantic every episode on same time each day from tomorrow night/Thursday morning :)

Season one recap Thursday 02:45am sky Atlantic every episode on same time each day from tomorrow night/Thursday morning :)

ITS BACK!!!
    NEXT WEEK on Sky :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭cozar

Think it's a double episode......even better😀

• Advertisement
Advertisement