Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gomorra the Series (Sky Atlantic)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

What a series, personally i loved it. Really edge of your seat stuff. Specially with those young un's. Headcases the lot of them. Every time the were on screen it was edge of the seat stuff.

There has to be a series 2 coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Absolutely brilliant season and an even better finale. have to be honest I didn't see the ending coming

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Superb show. Hard to find any details online about a second season.

The episode where Ciro goes to Spain has to be one of the best I've seen in any series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I loved this, the cinematography, the acting, the character development, everything. Can't help but think that the subtitles put a lot of the potential audience off so it never received the attention it deserved in this country at least. What worked in it's favour for me was it's utter unpredictability. Unlike GOT or, to a lesser extent, TWD I could surf the web without being bombarded by spoilers so I genuinely had no idea what was happening next.

It never shied away from showing the poisonous influence these people exert on their communities, particularly how they corrupt and ultimately destroy the youth. The massive twists in the final episode left things wide open for a second, inevitably bloody, series. Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Definitely one of the best crime dramas out there. I usually love stuff about the Mafia/Camorra, and the fact it's real italian televison makes it even better. Character development is brilliant, Genny's transformation was well done, and the relationship between Ciro and Genny was also great. Loved the finale and the fact Pietro escaped, he's my favourite character in the show, a real Don. Can't wait for Season 2 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Great great show, I couldn't watch the finale on Monday night and was dying to watch it last night when I got to it at half 10. Proper gripping stuff, best drama currently running on tv. Also I enjoy the subtitles because it means I have to concentrate proper to follow what's happening and not be half looking at my phone or laptop as can be done with other shows. Class leads characters all around, loved the lingering shot at the end and then the little give me ahead of the next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭cozar

Has to be 2nd series after that ending too many main characters left to fight again. Probably have to wait a while which sucks.:-(

Has to be 2nd series after that ending too many main characters left to fight again. Probably have to wait a while which sucks.:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I enjoyed this, such an authentic feel to it.

Really paints the Camorra out for what they are, absolute scum of the earth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

i like that the father got busted out of the prison van and the son got shot dead

the father is way more interesting as head of the family

the son was a moron

• Advertisement

i like that the father got busted out of the prison van and the son got shot dead

the father is way more interesting as head of the family

the son was a moron

I agree with you in that I like Pietro far more, but did the ending not seem to imply Genny isn't dead?

The Bogman wrote: »
    I agree with you in that I like Pietro far more, but did the ending not seem to imply Genny isn't dead?

Not sure I didn't pay attention closely

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

That is what I took from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

That is what I took from it.

same here - great show though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

but did the ending not seem to imply Genny isn't dead?

Yeah Bogman, I think Genny was still alive.Time will tell .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

An absolutely stunning show and for me the best thing on television currently. Just a massive shame more people didn't pick up on it.

It's quite sad how many people get turned off by subtitles not only with this but with films as well there missing out on a goldmine of entertainment.

There just has to be a second season it's been critically acclaimed and managed to get shown on the likes of sky Atlantic that should be enough of a push for second season.

I took it as a given Genny was still alive in the final shot we see him move his hand.

of course there's a second season!

why else would the father get busted out of prison

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

For those wondering.........
    Munich, 24 June 2014. Bestseller author Roberto Saviano will present the hard-hitting crime series Gomorra had its German premiere during the Filmfest Munich. Along with showrunner Stefano Sollima, lead cast member Marco D'Amore, and producers Gina Gardini and Nils Hartmann, the journalist will explain the background of the gripping inside story of the Camorra, the fierce Neapolitan crime organization, on Sunday, June 29th. Gomorrah ran on Sky Italia this spring with phenomenal ratings of over 1.2 million viewers per episode and will bow later this year on Sky Germany as well as on Sky UK, Canal + and HBO Latin America, among others. arte will show Gomorrah in Germany and France in free-TV. Just recently, Beta Film, which has already sold the series to more than 50 territories, licensed the show to The Weinstein Company US. Shooting for the second season will start this summer.

http://www.betafilm.com/gomorrah/news/do/detail/id/325.html

This will give everone else who missed this fantastic series a chance to catch up ;)

Taped last episode have watched it loads of times.... Will keep me going til 2nd series soon i hope:-)

Taped last episode have watched it loads of times.... Will keep me going til 2nd series soon i hope:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk of this show! I'm only a few episodes in but already this is, by far, the best tv series I've watched. Absolutely incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

yes indeed it is :) maybe the subtitles put people off but its really worth the effort :) A mafia program with real Italians :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Threads merged.

Well that was fantastic, just finished. Unbelievable stuff to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

What a great show.

I have to agree with diego_b above, that the fact it is subtitled means you have to give it your full attention, but for this it is very rewarding. Sometimes it strayed towards the far fetched (As already discussed with Gennys transformation) but I agree the guy is a complete Moron.

Fantastic characters, Don Pietro and Lady Imma were immense any time they were on screen. It was great to see Lady Imma play a strong female role (although she was a complete bitch at times) it makes a refreshing change to have a female character show that strength and try to play the controlling role. The twists in Ciros character development and life were epic too, as I constantly questioned whether he was someone who I wanted to succeed or if he actually was the biggest sleaze ball of the whole show!

The whole story about Danielino and Manu was very well done and really hit home at the mindless manipulation of the culture of gang crime. The speech the priest gave was fantastic, and also quite funny how he could be the only person to condemn the violence and bloodshed without any consequences. This was really played up with the young gang being complete and utter gun toting maniacs, really juxtaposing the early sense of glamour that this world of crime may often be portrayed with Don Pietro and Lady Immas early episodes.

I will definetly be giving season 1 another run in a few months.

A lot of the plot has been exposed here but I will cover up some of this:
    For season 2 I don’t know what to expect. Conte is a great character and is efficiently ruthless to really take hold of Naples.
    Ciro is going to be gouged from all angles as Conte will want his balls for not finishing off Genny and I cant see Don Pietro taking him back under his wing after him snuffing out his wife and trying to do Genny.
    It was unclear to me who instigated the freedom of Don Pietro, Genny didn’t seem to have a clue what was going on when he seen him being so lethargic and depressed in prison. If Don Pietro wants to wage war or revenge, how many of his allies/ soldiers are still alive? I don’t really see him commanding respect from whatever is left of the younger generation. I would assume we will see season 2 show where Don Pietro was brought in the van after the rescue and a gang of old chums will go ass kicking. (possibly some of his family who were in prison with him but were released?)

gucci wrote: »
    What a great show.
    It was unclear to me who instigated the freedom of Don Pietro, Genny didn’t seem to have a clue what was going on when he seen him being so lethargic and depressed in prison. If Don Pietro wants to wage war or revenge, how many of his allies/ soldiers are still alive? I don’t really see him commanding respect from whatever is left of the younger generation. I would assume we will see season 2 show where Don Pietro was brought in the van after the rescue and a gang of old chums will go ass kicking. (possibly some of his family who were in prison with him but were released?)
    Only watched the final episode once but at the time I thought it was one of Don Pietros old gang who broke him out. Can't remember his name but the guy who walked away when Ciro was trying to convince the old gang they had to go to war with Genny and his crew. I think....open to correction on this.

Only watched the final episode once but at the time I thought it was one of Don Pietros old gang who broke him out. Can't remember his name but the guy who walked away when Ciro was trying to convince the old gang they had to go to war with Genny and his crew. I think....open to correction on this.
    Yes that would make sense, there was so much carnage in the last episode or 2 it was difficult to decifer who was left. The worst was the one who was returning from lady Immas funeral with his wife and children and made the break to go back to his wife in the car.....i did not think that really made sense, he brought his family back into danger by making that move, but did he actually get away in the end? I think he actually did?

The Genny transformation was explained. His own mother was whimsical about whether he lived or died in Honduras. He had to butcher a fellow prisoner with a machete and hack him into pieces. When the Hondurans let him go he had lost any last ounce of humanity left in him

The crazy thing is that most of these story lines are based in reality. The African drive by shooting actually happened. The Manu storyline actually happened.

Putinovsky or anyone else, have you read the book? Is it worth a read or how well does it translate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

gucci wrote: »
    Putinovsky or anyone else, have you read the book? Is it worth a read or how well does it translate?

English translation was fine for me. If you have an interest into the inner workings of organised crime go for it, He really gets deep into how the different Camorra clans run their business and interact with each other. I was amazed at how sophisticated an operation it is, they've literally hundreds of different interests and have surpassed the likes of Cosa Nostra in Sicily in their size and power.

Advertisement