Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utopia (Channel 4) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Has anybody got an update on the next series of Utopia yet?
    It's getting to a stage where I am going to have to watch series one again for the 10th time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭brian_t

No air-date yet.
    On the set of Utopia it's important to dress appropriately...

Bfy8aK6IYAA_FFN.jpg

https://twitter.com/c4utopia

Channal 4 are repeating the first series of Utopia starting Monday 19th May @ 2.40am.

The sixth episode will therefore be repeated on June 23th.

Hopefully the second series follow very soon after.

This would fit in with what Channel 4 said back in January
    Any news on a broadcast date for series two of Utopia?

This query came to us a couple of weeks ago, and since then we've actually had a nice little chinwag with the folks at Channel 4 overseeing Utopia's long-awaited return. In terms of an airdate, we could only get a loose mid-2014 out of them, but they did reveal that they are currently two-thirds of the way through filming, so expect more details to drip out when things wrap soon.

We've also been promised "lots of twists" and told to "expect the unexpected", so fingers crossed we're in for something as mind-blowing and mental as the critically-acclaimed original. We're going to request less eye stuff though - we're a tad squeamish.

Rose Leslie also told Digitalspy
    Rose did throw us a few juicy Utopia bones, though, promising that the new series "will be darker" than last time, and that we won't have "really seen anything like [it] on British TV before". Expect a bit of a time-travelling narrative as well, as Rose told us: "There is a flashback in the first episode of season two and I happen to be involved in that flashback." Ooh, Rose, you tease!
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/feature/a568038/scandal-utopia-wentworth-prison-tube-talk-qa.html#~oDOSfsEDphDIIX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I was against a season 2, but I'm actually really looking forward to it now! Gonna re-watch season 1 in preparation :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The DVD & Blu-ray have been up with a pre-order date of July 7th since March on Amazon.

* puts speculation hat on *

If it's a six episode season and it airs on a Tuesday (same as last season), it would mean the season 2 premiere would be May 27th (tomorrow fortnight) - that is if they planned to release on that "rumoured release date" the week after the final episode.

EDIT: Never mind.. just saw the post above about repeating season 1 from next week... that blows that theory out of the water!

Series 2 coming this July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

must buy some raisins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Was one of the surprise successes when it came out! Loved the dark humour side involved, hopefully it gains some more popularity this season, tried to get my friends to watch it but none of them were arsed ha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Forgot how much I loved the look of that show, it had some gorgeously structured shots coupled with that heightened, saturated colour palette. Seemed like an intentional attempt to mimic the style of a comicbook.

I can't remember, was the fate of Arby ever established? I seem to recall he just dropped out of the story after confronting Jessica Hyde.

• Advertisement

According to DigiGuide listings Utopia series 2 episode 1 is on Monday 14th July at 10.00pm with episode 2 on Tuesday 15th at 10.00pm.

This hasn't been confirmed by C4 yet though.

Confirmed by Channel 4 now
    Eyes front: #utopia returns with not one but two episodes over two nights. It all starts again Monday 14 July.

https://twitter.com/c4utopia

New trailer released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tonight's the night 10pm and again tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Last season was a masterpiece. Can't wait for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

She is a long way from the wall eh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

No idea what's going on as I can't remember much of the last season, but it sure is beautifully shot.

And my fear of toddlers has just been reinforced!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I am gonna call it and say that rabbit slaying kid grows up to be ARBY

frag420 wrote: »

Ya think? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

frag420 wrote: »

It's pretty clear that's who it's meant to be: Arby was supposedly known as 'Raisin Boy' according to people in the first series. It's where his name comes from: RB. Arby.

The deliberately nostalgic aspect ratio's doing my nut a little, but am enjoying the first episode so far. It's definitely maintaining that surreal, dreamy, but inherently creepy vibe from the first run.

• Advertisement

Good return. This season is obviously going to lack a lot of the intrigue and mystery of last season as we know what it's about now but I enjoyed that back story. Bring on tomorrow!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's pretty clear that's who it's meant to be: Arby was supposedly known as 'Raisin Boy' according to people in the first series. It's where his name comes from: RB. Arby.

The deliberately nostalgic aspect ratio's doing my nut a little, but am enjoying the first episode so far. It's definitely maintaining that surreal, dreamy, but inherently creepy vibe from the first run.

Thought it was excellent but for that, it just seemed like a waste of screen. Good to get the back story, it sort of had a catch up incorporated into it which was really well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

First time watching it and was impressed. The aspect ratio takes a while to get used to but adds to the feel, almost like watching those wood effect push button TV's and petrol shortages and bin strikes. Airey Neave mentioning the INLA was a bit chilling, he was a big advisor of Thatcher on Northern issues and his murder played a big part in her early day failed Northern policy. Plus I hate the thought of breaking a nail, never mind that!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    First time watching it and was impressed. The aspect ratio takes a while to get used to but adds to the feel, almost like watching those wood effect push button TV's and petrol shortages and bin strikes. Airey Neave mentioning the INLA was a bit chilling, he was a big advisor of Thatcher on Northern issues and his murder played a big part in her early day failed Northern policy. Plus I hate the thought of breaking a nail, never mind that!

Did you not see any of the first series at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Kind of important alright.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Kind of important alright.

Yeah, it's only 6 episodes and they are all on Sky On Demand or 4OD. Definitely advise watching them before going any further with this series.

Nope, hence "first time watching it"! Seriously, I'l make a point of watching the first series, just watched this episode to see if I'd like it. This spy stuff is right up my street, and I think I'm hooked already.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Classy show.

Can't be arsed looking up the makers of the show and its probably been already mentioned here numerous times but it's very like The Shadow Line that was on BBC a few years ago.
    Same style and weirdness. Stephen Rea was in that too. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same people but I don't know.

Plus the redhead reminds me of the character in Luther, can't remember her name. A red head pyschopath always works for me, I'm seeing a professional to solve those "issues"!

K-9 wrote: »
    Aaah Christ, You've ruined season one for yourself by watching that. We spent half season one just trying to figure out what the fúck was going on at all.
    Take a load of Rohypnol now* and then tomorrow start watching season 1

*This is not medical advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭mgkelly

This is a truly weird, whacky but ultimately intriguing series. Loving the first 2 episodes of season 2. One just wonders what madness is next?!

Really looking forward to getting stuck into this in a month our so. Going to rewatch series one around the time this series ends so that I can do both back to back. Anyone who has yet to watch series one is in for a treat, it's just an exceptional piece of TV and amongst the most vaguely beautiful and playful shows ever to grace our screens. Some of the compositions could hang in a gallery and I have a few images from the show on my walls

Just to point out that although it started on Monday and continued on Tuesday this week all future episodes will premiere on Tuesday nights.

Tuesday! Damnit, I completely forgot the second episode aired last night, even though he announcer repeatedly made mention of it during episode 1. To 4OD I go, I guess :D

Tuesday! Damnit, I completely forgot the second episode aired last night, even though he announcer repeatedly made mention of it during episode 1. To 4OD I go, I guess :D

Both episodes get repeated late Saturday night at 1.05am.

Caught up with episode 2 on 4OD anyway; seemed an odd decision to have the first two episodes over two nights. In any case, given it caught up with the cast from series 1, the second part felt more like a premier than Monday night's episode. It certainly looked & felt the same: the same beautifully angled and composed shots; the lush, saturated colours; the haunting soundtrack; that weird, blackly humourous yet creepy atmosphere. Love it.

My only quibble was that I was little confused about Dugdale's position:
    didn't he go on the run with that orphaned girl? How is he suddenly in charge of Corvat?

Fantastic. I'd say that, so far, it is one of the best British productions I've ever seen.

Another excellent episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Ha, love it.

Palpatine's identity was a surprise.

And Fiona OShaughnessy is so weirdly hot

• Advertisement

quad_red wrote: »
    Ha, love it.

Palpatine's identity was a surprise.

And Fiona OShaughnessy is so weirdly hot

Nothing weird about it : )

Can't get over how gorgeous this TV series can look: it's just so lush and colourful, with nearly every second shot a painting in of itself.

Tbh, the reveal about the old man didn't surprise me; given how the prequel episode ended, it seemed somewhat obvious - or guessable anyway at the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

My only quibble was that I was little confused about Dugdale's position:
    didn't he go on the run with that orphaned girl? How is he suddenly in charge of Corvat?

Yeah I wondered this as well. I intended to re-watch series one but never got around to it so am trying to remember some things!

Loved the first three episodes. Rose Leslie did a perfect job as a young Milner. Just love this show so much, it's so beautiful to watch.

I'm only realising now that in episode one

This guy

368766.jpg

Utopia-Rose-Leslie-as-Mil-009.jpg

Was a young version of the Assistant.

utopia7.jpg

Facial hair gave it away :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

That and the massive chinese symbol he etched into himself and the end of episode one! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can't get over how gorgeous this TV series can look: it's just so lush and colourful, with nearly every second shot a painting in of itself.

The look is sensational, normally I don't like programmes where it looks like the colourist has gone mad in the editing suit but here its so well judged and of course in keeping with the parallel world vibe of the drama. Director Marc Murden has a big future ahead of him.

• Advertisement

That and the massive chinese symbol he etched into himself and the end of episode one! :P

Errr - totally missed that. Teething toddler kinda wrecked utopia concentration!

Yet another great episode. This is definitely my favourite show of the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Anyone else find it a little eerie that S1 aired just as the horsemeat scandal was coming out, and S2 is airing as "the worst Ebola outbreak in history" is happening in Africa? Something for the Wilsons amongst us to ponder!

Quality show, strikes me as one of those where everyone involved was of a singular vision, everything just clicks. Standout soundtrack yet again.

I said it last year and I'll say it again; I'd love if they made replica Utopia manuscripts for people to get their hands on, the illustrations are fantastic!

A chilling start to the episode.

Wilson's 'fall' into the darkness is so captivating because it's so thorough (murdering Ian's brother!) yet so disturbingly believable and almost justifiable??

Jessica's attempts to be human are so robotic, the damage has been done to her is so great.

Grant wanting to more mechanical like Arby and Arby searching for a bit of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Very weak episode so far. Apart from the lovely Twin Peak references, there really hasn't been much to keep someone watching. Too many spurious and uninteresting characters looking at each other with a sense of foreboding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement