Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not for the first time I passed this morning a full size adult male commuting through the Phoenix Park on a Flicker.

kids-cycle-force-group-flicker-1-scooter_7378693_100.jpg

In lieu of "pics or GTFO" I promise to get a photo next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Yes I'd definitely trust Microsoft over Google ;)

Just browse with AdBlock enabled and use an anti spy-ware solution to keep your cookies clean.

If you are not paying for a service on the internet, you're not the customer, you're the product.

I didn't think surfing with Adblock would make much of difference before I got it, but it really does. Brilliant app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

I didn't think surfing with Adblock would make much of difference before I got it, but it really does. Brilliant app.

Somewhere out there, a boards admin is crying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

buffalo wrote: »
    Somewhere out there, a boards admin is crying.

Let him cry :)

And let the RTE execs cry when I turn off my television during the ads. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The documentary that Sky did about Wiggo (Bradley Wiggins - A Year in Yellow) is on Sky Sports 2 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Take it easy out there folks. Saw some poor chap take a dive on a bend this morning.

He jumped up quick and a passing schoolkid helped with his pannier, he was up and cycling away by the time I got to the junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13369/Alberto-Contador-calls-for-zero-tolerance-to-doping-in-cycling.aspx

Only read this article now, he's one cheeky monkey. Surly he should stfu take his punishment and move on. Denial of guilt in such cases should result in a further ban until he admits guilt. What is the difference between lance and this pricksie?
    Ban him and all like him.

Don't want to detail the Black Ice thread.
    Jawgap wrote: »
    ......aaaaaaaaaaand we're off.....

I was thinking of calling Joe Duffy this afternoon to suggest that pedestrians should wear helmets while it's icy, just in case they slip and fall. And any pedestrian not wearing a helmet (or not putting one on their child) is therefore completely irresponsible - it's a bleeeedin' disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Let's make a rule NOT to quote images in the threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Don't want to detail the Black Ice thread.

I was thinking of calling Joe Duffy this afternoon to suggest that pedestrians should wear helmets while it's icy, just in case they slip and fall. And any pedestrian not wearing a helmet (or not putting one on their child) is therefore completely irresponsible - it's a bleeeedin' disgrace Joe!

To be bleedin' fair to me post in the BI thread.... If you elevate a 3-4yo up to adult height and put them on ice, it's not particularly fair to them. Falling from their own height is no bother. Double that height and you're playing with fire.
    The pedestrian equivalent would be to place the toddler on your shoulders before venturing out onto the ice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Double that height and you're playing with fire.

...which melts the ice. Problem solved.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Louis W. skins the RedTops for half a mil.
    :-):-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is your wallet too heavy?

Is your bank balance so big that you have to scroll sideways to see the rest of it?

Did you think there was no more cycling-related stuff for you to buy?

Well, now there's a solution that allows you to both relieve yourself of that pesky money and buy cycling-related stuff that cannot be used when cycling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

seamus wrote: »
    Of course it can! You can even do tricks:

bike+umbrella+1.jpg

Perfect stoppie right there.

To be bleedin' fair to me post in the BI thread.... If you elevate a 3-4yo up to adult height and put them on ice, it's not particularly fair to them. Falling from their own height is no bother. Double that height and you're playing with fire.
    The pedestrian equivalent would be to place the toddler on your shoulders before venturing out onto the ice.

My thought process was actually entirely separate to your anecdote, but the back-and-forth seemed a good jump-off point. It occurred to me this morning while walking to work, and doing a little slippy dance in a few spots.

I trust most parents to have enough sense to know what they're capable of, and look after the best interests of their child. If one can't do that, we're into dreaded 'nanny state' territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

My thought process was actually entirely separate to your anecdote, but the back-and-forth seemed a good jump-off point. It occurred to me this morning while walking to work, and doing a little slippy dance in a few spots.

I trust most parents to have enough sense to know what they're capable of, and look after the best interests of their child. If one can't do that, we're into dreaded 'nanny state' territory.

I think most parents know what their children are capable of - or at least what will be funny without hurting them too much.

the nanny-statism kicks in when other people start dictating how children not theirs should be raised.......

...and I completely lose all reason when the HSE and Government wade in on parenting - how many kids have they been responsible for that have been killed / died while in their care and they presume to lecture parents on what's best for their children.....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Speaking of children, I noticed my two-and-a-half-year-old daughter saying "Give way, give way" the other day.

I was a bit puzzled, but I figured it out in the end.

230580.jpg

230581.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Jaysus, I'd say a story at bedtime is a great laugh in your house ! No Rojo Jr, no Gruffalo for you, here, read about some crap cycle lanes around the world !

Yes, she might be taken into state care yet.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yes, she might be taken into state care yet.

as she should be - if you're showing her pictures of non-hi viz, helmetless cyclists - what kind of parent are you? :)

btw - is that photo from North Wales (A55)?

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Jaysus, I'd say a story at bedtime is a great laugh in your house ! No Rojo Jr, no Gruffalo for you, here, read about some crap cycle lanes around the world !

Never ending story?

Jawgap: yes, that's it. On approach to Holyhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I can't log into boards mobile any more, it's very annoying indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Anyone know what the purpose of this "multi quote" thing is in or what effect it has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Holyboy wrote: »
    I can't log into boards mobile any more, it's very annoying indeed!
    Have you tried clearing your cache/history on your mobile device?
    el tel wrote: »
    Anyone know what the purpose of this "multi quote" thing is in or what effect it has?
    It allows you to quote two or more posts so you can reply to more than one person easily at once. Click multi quote (+") for all but the last post you want to quote, then click quote on the last post and you'll be taken to the Reply to Thread page with all the posts quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Have you tried clearing your cache/history on your mobile device?

That didn't work, just getting a padlock icon and a message saying I can't be logged in, could be my VERY old phone :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

...could be my VERY old phone :rolleyes:

Try dialling 118 and asking for operator assistance ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

That didn't work, just getting a padlock icon and a message saying I can't be logged in, could be my VERY old phone :rolleyes:
    Did you try touch boards.ie?

Perhaps you need to make sure the aerial is fully extended?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Speaking of children, I noticed my two-and-a-half-year-old daughter saying "Give way, give way" the other day.

I was a bit puzzled, but I figured it out in the end.

You actually bought a book about crap cycle lanes? Woah - turn down the excitement dial to mild why don't you! :p

Press B to get your money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Try shouting into it, 'tis a tried and tested remedy to all phone ills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I just ventured outside of the Cycling Forum for the first time in ages. :eek: :eek: :eek: It wasn't pleasant. After Hours in particular is just scary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Maybe my idea of invisible differs somewhat from the people at Hovding. Just €500 to stick a bag on your head. Thanks, but no, I'll suffer the ignominy of my €20 lidl lid for just a bit longer.

http://www.hovding.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

I passed a fella on a bike yesterday on harolds cross road heading out of town. To say that this gentleman cycled dangerously is a huge understatement. Every few seconds he appeared to attempt an over the shoulder glance. What it actually looked like was a swan rapidly turning it's head and neck around to get at an itch behind its wing somewhere. This jerking motion was accompanied by a massive swerve to the right each time also. Luckily for him, he was in a bus lane wit no other vehicles near him at that point of his journey. To add insult to injury he mounted the path to avoid a red light and then came back onto the road after the light without looking over his shoulder!

An accident just waiting to happen.

Don't worry though. He was wearing a helmet.

I nearly wet myself laughing it was so funny looking at this every few seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

The much loved rose catalogue arrived today. Not the mighty tome that is the full catalogue, it just has the bikes. They hav a huge selection of electric bikes, anyone here have one? Any I've ever seen hav been fairly horrible Dublin bikes type yokes, some of the rose ones look pretty good though. They claim 200km per charge for some models which is v impressive, but at €3000 approx I suppose they'd want to be

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    You actually bought a book about crap cycle lanes? Woah - turn down the excitement dial to mild why don't you! :p
    I didn't buy it. It was a stocking filler one Christmas. It is quite funny though, in a sarky sort of way. It's by the same people who do the famous Cycle Facility of the Month.

smacl wrote: »
    Maybe my idea of invisible differs somewhat from the people at Hovding. Just €500 to stick a bag on your head. Thanks, but no, I'll suffer the ignominy of my €20 lidl lid for just a bit longer.

http://www.hovding.com/
    I was wondering whether the Hövding performed better than conventional helmets. And, in a limited sense, it does.
    According to Treehugger, Folksam tested 12 CE-approved helmets and found that the Hövding recorded impacts of 65 Gs at this speed, whereas none of the competition achieved under 200 Gs of force, suggesting that when it comes to direct impact forces, the collar performs almost three times better than conventional helmets.
    http://www.gizmag.com/hovding-airbag-tests/23099/

I wonder whether territories with mandatory helmet laws will eventually permit this newer design. Might open up a market for police-foxing look-alike collars that cost a few euro and don't contain an airbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    actually looked like was a swan rapidly turning it's head and neck around to get at an itch behind its wing somewhere. This jerking motion was accompanied by a massive swerve to the right each time also.

I was like this for quite a while when I got back on the bike last year. Then quite suddenly I rediscovered how to look behind me without the whole bicycle joining in. Don't know how - the body just learned it in one hour.

91-500x325.jpeg

Artists Create Art out of Bicycle Parts

"SRAM, a chicago based bicycles parts company, provided over 80 artists with a box of 100 bike components and the challenge to construct the raw material into pieces of art. The creations will be auctioned off with proceeds going to the World Bicycle Relief that provides bikes for underprivileged children living in Africa."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭furiousox

This should set you up for the day. :)

CPL 593H

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Here you are guys - the perfect Xmas present - Fergie and Dalglish "at it" again

article-2240898-1648BC35000005DC-866_964x441.jpg

And a bit of "Blue Moon"

article-2240898-1648BC26000005DC-593_470x386.jpg

Get your orders in now for the "Sexy Managers Calendar"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

daragh_ wrote: »
    I just ventured outside of the Cycling Forum for the first time in ages. :eek: :eek: :eek: It wasn't pleasant. After Hours in particular is just scary.

And its getting worse! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Here you are guys - the perfect Xmas present - Fergie and Dalglish "at it" again

article-2240898-1648BC35000005DC-866_964x441.jpg

Thanks Beasty, won't bloody well sleep tonight now !!

Seems appropriate that this would go in Dr Ferrari's Camper Van.........

BLOOD DOPING 101http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2012/11/blood-doping-101/...........

" The practice of enhancing performance through artificial means is as old as competitive sport itself. The first time blood doping came to my attention was after the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. I thought I knew the basics of how doping worked after hearing about it for all these years but got a fascinating insight into this science after sitting down with haematologist and fellow cyclist (who prefers to remain anonymous) who explained as much as I could comprehend. I’ve decided to break this down into a few separate articles to make it more digestible. This first article which provides background on blood doping might be slightly basic for many of you, but there are some things you might not have known."

Sitting at home, can't go spinning 'cause I'm on call. The turbo trainer is becoming more and more inviting...

Do it.
    It will make you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

cycled to rathmines yesterday along canal anyone else notice how filthy bike lane is for most the route, destroy my clothes and bicyle was the worst its ever been after a ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

manafana wrote: »
    cycled to rathmines yesterday along canal anyone else notice how filthy bike lane is for most the route, destroy my clothes and bicyle was the worst its ever been after a ride.
    Yea, was on the way out for the night and was filthy after about 1k on the canal. Must buy some mud-guards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

looked in my road bikes saddle bag this eve for the first time in months and realised that for the past 2000 odd km's ive been carrying two burst tubes and no repair kit since my last puncture(s) disaster day. I'm ever so glad i wasn sitting in a ditch in the wicklow gap when i discovered this!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement