Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scotia Major

Folks - Iv read a fair bit of posts on this forum but havent had the relevant knowledge to post anything!

My wife and I plan to build a home behind my parents house (built late 70s, bungalow). It is on a rectangle 1 acre site out the country, fields all around, however there is a main N road approx 200 - 250m away. My parents fenced/planted off half the plot (1/2 acre) years ago in case some of us wanted to build there. Never thought I would, but hey, there you go!

Iv checked the CDP and it says the council will consider development on backland sites depending on privacy, vehicular movements/hazards etc.

We would be using the same vehicle entrance. (1 drive currently leads to the home house and the other one runs along the boundary to our plot out the back. I really couldnt see this as an issue.

Proposed house will be 40m back from home place and theres a 7foot hedge between us too so that should be OK.

My parents existing septic tank is currently located on our plot. I plan to site the house in the back corner, so maybe we can leave their septic tank alone. In situations like this would the council request us to upgrade theirs too or maybe move theirs?

Unfortunatly due to the resession we are living outside the country but I still plan on arranging a pre planning meeting for when I come home. Does bringing a councillor along have any sway anymore!?

Anybody have any knowledge about the above?

1. Is there usually some kind of restrictions about building 200 - 250m from a main road?

2. Will I have to upgrade their existing septic tank too? Thanks.

Our local councillor didnt get re-elected!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You'll hardly leave the tank. Seek an arch/eng input and let them approach the council on your behalf with a layout addressing the items you've outlined and other site specific issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I am considering planning an extension and trying to give myself guidance of what I could do if I get refused:

So I am going to try to get a 40sq m 2 storey (20 above and below) on the front, like a gable A frame type of look (house is detached, plain square. Neighbouring houses have similar type and no house is level with the other. What are my chances in Cork Co Co.

Failing that, I wll do the same to the back of the house but I am confused by the exemption terms and conditions. DOes the max height of the walls to be the same as the existing house include the triangle bit of the gable of A frame (house gables are on the side).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Exempted develpoment allows only 12sqm at first floor, so 20+20 wouldn't be exempt.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Aard wrote: »
    Exempted develpoment allows only 12sqm at first floor, so 20+20 wouldn't be exempt.

incorrect

20 + 20 is allowed on a detached house (which the OP says it is)

the 12 m2 first floor restriction only pertains to terraces and semi-d's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Oops, sorry about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭phatony

Hi,

Sorry if posted wrong place...

Do I need planning permission to errect thin 1.8 meter metal posts to act as supports for young climbing plants, at 2 meter intervals, right inside/against
    a front garden side-boundary (side boundaries forward of house)?

Why / Why not?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭rumar

Can anyone help me with a problem getting a mortgage for a self build when access to the site is a shared right of way. We have planning permission to build but access to the site is a shared lane about 100m long from a public road. Banks dont seem to want to lend as they are concerned about this. Is there anything we can do? The council when granting permission told us we had to name the lane so we sent them suggestions but they replied saying there is no need to name a lane for a small development of 3 sites. Anyone encountered anything like this?

rumar wrote: »
    Can anyone help me with a problem getting a mortgage for a self build when access to the site is a shared right of way. We have planning permission to build but access to the site is a shared lane about 100m long from a public road. Banks dont seem to want to lend as they are concerned about this. Is there anything we can do? The council when granting permission told us we had to name the lane so we sent them suggestions but they replied saying there is no need to name a lane for a small development of 3 sites. Anyone encountered anything like this?
    have dead maps, maintenance responsibilities, and letters of consent been prepared by your architect & solicitor? Has the build been costed by a QS?
    Re self-building http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90746441&postcount=3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Hi,

Myself and girlfriend are interested in buying a house... We want to get a mortgage.. We have an engineers report on the. House. It has some pointed out some minor issues with house... Nothing major...

My question is will the bank throw a wobbler when they get the engineers report?

• Advertisement

Ask them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Every single house in this country has minor issues...the engineer is showing due diligence and pointing everything out as he should. Its your decision on how you categorise them..
    Like Bryan said, chat to the bank. If they are okay then its a bargaining point on the cost of the house right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

phatony wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry if posted wrong place...

Do I need planning permission to errect thin 1.8 meter metal posts to act as supports for young climbing plants, at 2 meter intervals, right inside/against
    a front garden side-boundary (side boundaries forward of house)?

Why / Why not?

Thanks

Methinks there is much more to this post than that simple question, but....

If your 'thin metal posts' are single shrub supports and not joined up to make a fence then the simple answer is you don't need planning permission for them. However if the 'thin metal posts' could be construed as being tantamount to fencing you cannot exceed 1.2m in height to the front of the house.

Simple question back: why use metal shrub supports, why not use timber supports? I always find them asthetically more in tune with the plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Has anyone experience of a planning authority validating a commencement notice, carrying out a 'site inspection' and then requiring that another commencement notice be submitted because the development had not commenced?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

loremolis wrote: »
    Has anyone experience of a planning authority validating a commencement notice, carrying out a 'site inspection' and then requiring that another commencement notice be submitted because the development had not commenced?

Yes. What do you need to know?

You may have lodged. Notice giving 14 days, but you can start anytime up to 28 days from the date it is lodged. What's the particular around your case?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

kceire wrote: »
    Yes. What do you need to know?

You may have lodged. Notice giving 14 days, but you can start anytime up to 28 days from the date it is lodged. What's the particular around your case?

The council did a 'site inspection' and now claim I didn't start by the 28th day. I had engaged and made upfront payments to a builder and an engineer. By the third week after the notice went in I had excavated for ground conditions, done trial holes for percolation and ground conditions to design foundations etc. and was awaiting these details from engineer and was about to continue work but they wrote to say I need to submit a new notice under the new regs.

If I need to start again I'm told it'll costs weeks and thousands extra to comply with regs not to mention what the builder will do and charge when I tell him to stop and wait until I sort this out.

The strange bit is that they validated the original notice and entered it on the register. Can they undo that validation?

loremolis wrote: »
    The council did a 'site inspection' and now claim I didn't start by the 28th day. I had engaged and made upfront payments to a builder and an engineer. By the third week after the notice went in I had excavated for ground conditions, done trial holes for percolation and ground conditions to design foundations etc. and was awaiting these details from engineer and was about to continue work but they wrote to say I need to submit a new notice under the new regs.

If I need to start again I'm told it'll costs weeks and thousands extra to comply with regs not to mention what the builder will do and charge when I tell him to stop and wait until I sort this out.

The strange bit is that they validated the original notice and entered it on the register. Can they undo that validation?

So you didn't commence works by the sound of it. So off the bat I'm go a say the council are correct here.

The reason your notice was validated is because all the details and fee was correct opun lodgement. You told the council you were starting on a particular date, you didn't. You then have 14 days from that where you can get in and get started but you didn't so effectively, your notice has expired. It is still a valid notice but has expired so now you have to relodge.

Trial holes are not considered new works. Either is testing ground conditions for foundation design. These things should be done prior to construction.

Sorry to hear of your troubles but it looks like the council are correct here and you will have to go again.

What council was it?

Dublin City do regular checks of notices to see if they have begun or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sosammy

Wondering if I could get someones tuppence on this - we are thinking of purchasing a semi d home. It has existing planning for a 2 story extension but the person that owned it wasn't happy with the restrictions (e.g 1.5 metres from neighbour etc) and decided to go ahead with the maximum 40 sq meter ground floor extension only. We are satisfied that the extension is fully compliant (size, outdoor space etc) - in any case it will be fully checked before closing. Foundations are also suitable for a 2nd storey extension.

The problem is that the upstairs of the house is not fit for purpose and requires a second story extension. My concern is that becuase the ground floor doesn't meet the councils original requirements for a 2 storey extension that they will look at any new application unfavourably - possibly only allowing for a step back extension (which will require structural supports) or worse still - none at all. We are trying to get input from a planner at the moment but any advice/experience would be appreciated in this regard.

sosammy wrote: »
    Wondering if I could get someones tuppence on this - we are thinking of purchasing a semi d home. It has existing planning for a 2 story extension but the person that owned it wasn't happy with the restrictions (e.g 1.5 metres from neighbour etc) and decided to go ahead with the maximum 40 sq meter ground floor extension only. We are satisfied that the extension is fully compliant (size, outdoor space etc) - in any case it will be fully checked before closing. Foundations are also suitable for a 2nd storey extension.

The problem is that the upstairs of the house is not fit for purpose and requires a second story extension. My concern is that becuase the ground floor doesn't meet the councils original requirements for a 2 storey extension that they will look at any new application unfavourably - possibly only allowing for a step back extension (which will require structural supports) or worse still - none at all. We are trying to get input from a planner at the moment but any advice/experience would be appreciated in this regard.

they should take any new application on its merit only. If the ground floor extension is infact exempted development, then it should have any bearing on a future planning application, unless your tight for private open space etc

Might be the wrong place to ask but anyone ever been turned down for a self build mortgage due to the fact that other members of your family have built close by? The site is on family land and my sister built a house 3 years ago but now banks are making an issue out of it. Its basically a private lane that runs alongside my fathers land into a field with 3 sites

• Advertisement

Might be the wrong place to ask but anyone ever been turned down for a self build mortgage due to the fact that other members of your family have built close by? The site is on family land and my sister built a house 3 years ago but now banks are making an issue out of it. Its basically a private lane that runs alongside my fathers land into a field with 3 sites

Are we to assume you do not have planning permission yet, and the bank are hesitant to formally offer you a mortgage on a build you haven't yet secured?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Are we to assume you do not have planning permission yet, and the bank are hesitant to formally offer you a mortgage on a build you haven't yet secured?

We have planning permission and a legal right of way to the site. We have decent savings and only looking 175k of a mortgage to build a house worth approx 400k when built but getting a mortgage is proving very problematic

We have planning permission and a legal right of way to the site. We have decent savings and only looking 175k of a mortgage to build a house worth approx 400k when built but getting a mortgage is proving very problematic

Sounds like the banks are coming up with ever more "fruity" reasons for refusal.

What's your deposit versus construction cost percentage.

To be honest the "400k value when built" really doesn't mean anything.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Sounds like the banks are coming up with ever more "fruity" reasons for refusal.

What's your deposit versus construction cost percentage.

To be honest the "400k value when built" really doesn't mean anything.

Have 80k and looking 175k. House will cost 250k inc council fees and architects fees. And yep seems the banks are looking for any excuse not to lend

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭angrykoala

hi there all.

my partner and I are tempted to buy a site with full planning permission. granted four years ago. never considered building but theres nothing to buy in our area.
    this site has come up with full planning permission. we,ve looked at the plans of the house that the permission was granted with. we,re happy to build that house. what are the possibilities of getting the planning transferred to our names. would it need to be a full new application. also would it be best to get the original architect on board.they are his plans and he put through all the original paperwork. very new to this so not sure what to look for.
    initial meeting with the planning office in the morning to get there opinions but told there might be issues as we have no family ties to the area and have only rented here two years. any thoughts on what to do??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi Folks,

one of my family is looking at a plot of land close to where we live.
    The owner has drawn up a site outlay, it's a long narrow field of .6 Hectares and the plans show,a driveway along one side with access from that to 3 potential sites.
    The land has the correct zoning subject to ''Local needs'' which is fine as we live less that 200 yds away.

My question is this,

The driveway will be included in each plot of .2HA, which is the LA's minimum for waste water treatment, but can this area include the Driveway, or should the .2HA exclude the driveway.( which eventually will service 3 sites.)

I will raise this with the Auctioneer, but would welcome your thoughts before we open negotiations

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The 0.2ha should exclude the driveway in this case as the driveway will not be in one ownership but in multiple or joint ownerships with rights of way for each user.

That is, if this type of development is allowed to go ahead. In my experience the LA's don't like this type of development on unserviced lands.

most counties still require a min of 30 m public road frontage for rural sites, which wouldnt be possible with this kind of layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

The 0.2ha should exclude the driveway in this case as the driveway will not be in one ownership but in multiple or joint ownerships with rights of way for each user.

That is, if this type of development is allowed to go ahead. In my experience the LA's don't like this type of development on unserviced lands.

Thanks for that PUT.

In this case the Local Development Plan, encourages this type of development, in certain Rural Cluster areas, with shared entrances, servicing more than one dwelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 29bull

Hi,

We had a pre-planning meeting recently where the planner was dubious about our local ties to the townland where we wish to build.

My husband and I are looking to build on a site belonging to his father that is part of his farm. It is a few kilometers (less than 10 mins) drive from where we are renting now. This area where we wish to build has been in my husband's family for several generations and he helps his father farm it and rents a building here that he uses for his own business. His parents live a couple of kilometres away so the nearest family member is his elderly aunt who lives approx 1 km from the site. My OH also is involved in the local sports club (in the nearest town not in that townland).

The problem is we have not lived there for 7 years (Sustainable Rural Housing Guidelines 2005). Has anyone encountered this issue when applying for planning permission ?

I'm a little frustrated because it's not like we've just landed in the area.

Has anyone advice on this ?

Advertisement