Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are there any 'rules' in life?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

andrew wrote: »
    "Don't be a dick" works well as a general rule.

Then why did you become a moderator? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

Does that imply that another rule is 'sh1t on someone else's doorstep'.

Ha, i dunno about that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

But wouldn't it be satisfying to retaliate with vengance and kick him in the nuts and then use his head like a football.
    I know I feel like that everytime I pass scum on the street.

Not really tbh. Firstly that would make me just as much scum as him and secondly, the type of person who'll head butt a stranger is also the type who'll have ten equally thuggish mates or a weapon with him because he's a coward. I don't want to waste one second of my time thinking about someone like that, never mind end up dead because I took it upon myself to show him the error of his ways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

LighterGuy wrote: »
    .... i've heard my share of cowards say "i only fight when i have to defend myself" as excuses - thats not a dig at you as I dont know you. However, its what cowards say.

I've heard a father say "I wish my son had been big enough to walk away after that guy threw a punch at him, then maybe he wouldn't have been stabbed to death". There are too many mindless deaths caused by the kind of testosterone-fueled revenge fights.

Anyhow, OP asked for rules, so here are my favourite rules (fellow karateka may recognise them):
    • Seek to develop perfection of your own character.
    • Be faithful and sincere in whatever you choose to do.
    • Cultivate your own spirit of perseverance.
    • Respect the principles of etiquette and respect others
    • Guard against impetuous courage and refrain from violent behavior.

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Barrt2 wrote: »
    he hit me once if he attacked me sure i'd defend myself but over one drunken headbutt which led him to fall over after ? tell me would you hit some one when there down?

There is no honour in letting a creep get away with assault just because he falls over-i would have volleyed him as he fell right in the mush.

cowards are just as bad as this muppet probably headbutt some other innocent after this as he knows he'll get away with it-for the record, most people are cowards.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Don't be a complete prick all of the time.

If everyone followed this rule the world would be a little better...

...but they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I play by my own rules and nobody elses. Not even my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm with the previous poster(s) who said:

8=/=D
    Don't Be a Dick

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

2 rules to live by:

Don't trust a fart and don't waste a boner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Always try to grow as a person and learn from past mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

At the very core people are selfish, work from the core outward and you should come to some understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

2 rules to live by:

Don't trust a fart and don't waste a boner :)

especially dont trust the fart..if its not your own..

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

cowzerp wrote: »
    There is no honour in letting a creep get away with assault just because he falls over-i would have volleyed him as he fell right in the mush.

cowards are just as bad as this muppet probably headbutt some other innocent after this as he knows he'll get away with it-for the record, most people are cowards.

It wasnt a case where i needed to defend myself? he was pissed drunk? most people are cowards? yeah because they need to hide behind guns knives etc. whos to say if i hit him back that his mates would've started on me? sometimes taking the bigger picture into account is worth looking at. and besides he'll get what he deserves at some stage in life Karmas a Bitch :P

Advertisement