Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any 'rules' in life?

Options
  • 29-08-2011 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Not to bring Ah hours down or anything with a serious topic :pac:
    but are there any rules in life? ... Like in our daily lives we can encounter liars, cheats, users, manipulators, scum etc etc.

Life seems to be one big rat race. From the biggest of things, to the smallest of things. From the social standards? to even laws? The whole "nice guy finishes last" and all that. Like you could be decent and genuine and have nothing... be a crook and have it all.

So i guess this is a person question to everyone reading... do you live your life by rules? ... do you think there are any rules in life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

The Nine Commandments. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I use only one law and thats Zap Brannigans laws. Brannigan's Law is like Brannigan's love: hard and fast.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Life is FULL of rules every millisecond has a thousand of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Rock breaks scissors. But paper covers rock, and scissors cut paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

policarp wrote: »
    The Nine Commandments. . .
    Which one did they scrap?

Please be covet thy neighbour's wife

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Don't eat yellow snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think we should treat people the way we would like to be treated.
    Don't do to others what you don't want done to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The rats in the cradle with a silver spoon
    little boy blue is off to Cancun
    When you coming home son? 'I don't know when'
    we'll get some blow and hookers then son
    you know we'll have good time then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yes there are rules, but mostly they are for the obdience of fools and the guidence of the wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

Dont get high on your own supply.
    Dont **** on your own doorstep.
    Dont dip your pen in the company ink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

hondasam wrote: »
    I think we should treat people the way we would like to be treated.
    Don't do to others what you don't want done to you.

Clichéed but that's the way I try and get by...unfortunately it's not reciprocated enough to be an effective means of getting ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I have my 3 Fs.
    Family, Faith and Finances.
    Fu*k with any of them and I'll take you down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

"Don't be a dick" works well as a general rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Rule One: There are no rules.
    Rule Two: [Insert second rule here]

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

I have my 3 Fs.

To chinatown?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Mr. Boo wrote: »
    To chinatown?
    Its as good a place as any to dump a body

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Life is too short, enjoy it while it's yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

If it makes you kneel its not real(thats my religion one)

as for for everything else an eye for an eye leaves the world blind so just live be happy dont hurt others etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I have my 3 Fs.

Sadly theres people in life who will try to f*ck with you on all 3.
    I guess, hence the thread, I mean me or you could set our own rules. Like things that we would never do ... but that doesnt apply to everyone else. For example, i dunno, I could never flat out use someone. We're talking just using someone terribly then tossing them aside. No remorse. I couldnt. But many people can and do ...

So what are rules (again hence the thread) I set my own ethics but they dont really matter. Its kinda like being an over-all nice guy. You'd get used, taken advantage of etc ... So obviously that rule of being nice is wrong. If you get what I am trying to say. Im writing as I think :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Barrt2 wrote: »
    If it makes you kneel its not real(thats my religion one)

as for for everything else an eye for an eye leaves the world blind so just live be happy dont hurt others etc

That doesnt exsist in this world... The mentality of tit for tat will just cause never-ending sh*t. my post isnt directed to you its a good mentality to have But people are "fu*k me? fu*k you!" ... From the serious to the petty. Its all oneupmanship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Do unto others what you would like others to do unto you. Seems to be the broadest one.

LighterGuy wrote: »
    That doesnt exsist in this world... The mentality of tit for tat will just cause never-ending sh*t. my post isnt directed to you its a good mentality to have But people are "fu*k me? fu*k you!" ... From the serious to the petty. Its all oneupmanship.

If people have a problem with me for no reason, i just ignore them

For instance was out 2 weeks ago and i got stuck a headbutt didnt hit the guy who did it, just kept on walking didnt see the point?

if i cause someone a problem then yeah i'll try sort it

everyone is different alot of people are nice others are just out to ruin it forr everyone else

newmug wrote: »
    Do unto others what you would like others to do unto you. Seems to be the broadest one.

I have that mentality. Problem is tho, alot of people out there who "will do onto you", can be from (A,) who you didnt do anything to them. or (B,) Do something much much worse than what should of been returned onto you.

For example, i dunno, I could never flat out use someone. We're talking just using someone terribly then tossing them aside. No remorse. I couldnt. But many people can and do ...

No one likes to feel used, some people can be hard and uncaring but that's life.
    Learn from the experience and try not let it happen again.

Barrt2 wrote: »
    If people have a problem with me for no reason, i just ignore them

For instance was out 2 weeks ago and i got stuck a headbutt didnt hit the guy who did it, just kept on walking didnt see the point?

if i cause someone a problem then yeah i'll try sort it

everyone is different alot of people are nice others are just out to ruin it forr everyone else

I understand your attitude. But you got a headbutt and didnt do anything? ... I mean, not even to turn around and say a few words? ... if he was with some mates fair enough. can be seen as wise. But to walk away without saying a thing? With no disrespect, thats cowardly.

No one is saying you should run over with a bottle and jam it in his face. But he crossed a line. A personal line by hitting you. You should of walked back over to him. If a fight happened, it happened. There is a threshold of what we allow and dont allow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

hondasam wrote: »
    No one likes to feel used, some people can be hard and uncaring but that's life.
    Learn from the experience and try not let it happen again.

think the trick is to try not become hard and uncaring in the process.

I kinda make up my own rules as I go along.

I understand your attitude. But you got a headbutt and didnt do anything? ... I mean, not even to turn around and say a few words? ... if he was with some mates fair enough. can be seen as wise. But to walk away without saying a thing? With no disrespect, thats cowardly.

No one is saying you should run over with a bottle and jam it in his face. But he crossed a line. A personal line by hitting you. You should of walked back over to him. If a fight happened, it happened. There is a threshold of what we allow and dont allow.

He was cleary drunk so i didnt see the point? i saw no need to hurt him?

• Advertisement

Kanoe wrote: »
    think the trick is to try not become hard and uncaring in the process.

yes but sometimes it can't be helped. There is only so much crap anyone can take before they learn to toughen up.

Advertisement