Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle/Clay Shooting Ranges in Dublin/Wicklow area

Options
  • 07-06-2012 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi Folks , where are the shooting ranges located in Dublin / Wicklow region and what can you shoot. Having been living down the country for a number of years and moving back , trying to decide should I keep my firearms or reduce to one for the rough shooting when am back in the countryside. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Hilltop in Newtownmountkennedy, Co.Wicklow -Rifle/Clays/Pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭scuttlebutt

Hi Blay thanks for quick response , would you know what membership runs at . I know of several people who wouldn't join the range Blueball because of the initial membership cost. Thanks

I believe it's 600 and 260 every year after, most ranges will cost about that price.

Fair enough , thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Harbour House near Athy, Co. Kildare is less than an hour from Dublin.

harbourhouseshooting.com

They cater for rifle, pistol, shotgun, and archery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

courthlough balbriggan do .22 rifle and clays 185 a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

East coast shooting club near roundwood, there seems to be a good few ranges around this area , some are open to membership but some are private.

http://www.eastcoastshootingclub.com/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Can i ask a question that is bothering me for some time now.

Everyone complains about the price of the first years membership for the midlands. €600 for the first year then €295 per year after that. For that you get;
    • 10 - 25 mtr pistol range.
    • 25 mtr zeroing range.
    • 50 mtr benchrest/PR60 range
    • 50 mtr plinking range.
    • 100 - 300 mtr fullbore range - sheltered.
    • 100 - 600 yard fullbore range.
    • 800 - 1,200 yard range.
    • Clay range with multiple traps.
    And that's without going into the facilities such as clubhouse, new clubhouse, armoury, etc.

So my question is what are the prices of other ranges. Both for the first year, and then per year after that. And for that price what do you get in terms of ranges, facilities, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Ezridax wrote: »
    Can i ask a question that is bothering me for some time now.

Everyone complains about the price of the first years membership for the midlands. €600 for the first year then €295 per year after that. For that you get;
    • 25 mtr zeroing range.
    • 50 mtr plinking range.
    And that's without going into the facilities such as clubhouse, new clubhouse, armoury, etc.

So my question is what are the prices of other ranges. Both for the first year, and then per year after that. And for that price what do you get in terms of ranges, facilities, etc.

I assume its because being one of the only centrefire ranges in the country it attracts people with centrefire hunting rifles who just want to try and stretching it out to 600yrds or so on a range and aren't necessarily interested in the shorter ranges, clays etc. I know even in my club there are people who just shoot one discipline like pistol etc and aren't interested in the benchrest range/clays and probably resent having to pay for them, I make use of them all:pac:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i'm always a little bemused by people whinging about the initial years fee, when every year after that is cheap, and considering the midlands is the biggest range in the country and no other range can match it for size, facilities, etc i wonder how people think this can be built, and mantained on €50 per year.

I know lads that oay in excess of €200 per year for a gun club. Yet they complain about €295 per yea for the midlands.

Yes the €600 is not a small amount of money, especially in these times. However when you consider that membership to the range can get you a license for pretty much any caliber firearm you can see why they need to make sure that people are not joining simply to get a license, then feck off never to be seen again.

Also the midlands put their prices up for all to see. I have yet to hear the price, other than the one mentioned above, for any other range, and what facilities or ranges they supply/provide for that fee.

My uncle shoots in one of my old clubs in Dublin. I left it some time back. Because of where it is, and the price of land, etc the membership fees were in the region of €800 per year, every year. For 50 - 100 yard rimfire. It wasn't even centrefire rated.

I can understand people picking a range for the disciplines it covers. For example (and i have no idea of prices so these are only example figures). You live in Kildare. You only shoot Gallery & pistol. Why would you join the midlands. It does not cater specifically to your needs. So go elsewhere, and join a range that does. You find a local range that charges €200 for the first year, and €150 for every year after that. You are now sorted. However do not start complaining about another range that charges €295 per year when the range has vastly more overheads, caters more specifically to a different discipline, and is twice the travel time. I just don't get it. It's like me complaining about, say, Harbour House (only an example). I've never been there, i don't favour the disciplines they cater for so what business have i got complaining about their prices?

I'm not attacking anyone here. I'm not even saying people cannot complain or moan it's part and parcel of life. However if you are going to complain about one range all the time why not compare it to others, and see if the €295 per year is worth it for what you want.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

harbour house is 400 to join and 295 a year after that.

they have pistol bays 10-50m (also used for gallery rifle)
    50m benchrest
    clay range
    building 100m range
    achery
    club house

also forgot to mention two rfd on site.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i'm always a little bemused by people whinging about the initial years fee, when every year after that is cheap, and considering the midlands is the biggest range in the country and no other range can match it for size, facilities, etc i wonder how people think this can be built, and mantained on €50 per year.

I know lads that oay in excess of €200 per year for a gun club. Yet they complain about €295 per yea for the midlands.

Yes the €600 is not a small amount of money, especially in these times. However when you consider that membership to the range can get you a license for pretty much any caliber firearm you can see why they need to make sure that people are not joining simply to get a license, then feck off never to be seen again.

Also the midlands put their prices up for all to see. I have yet to hear the price, other than the one mentioned above, for any other range, and what facilities or ranges they supply/provide for that fee.

My uncle shoots in one of my old clubs in Dublin. I left it some time back. Because of where it is, and the price of land, etc the membership fees were in the region of €800 per year, every year. For 50 - 100 yard rimfire. It wasn't even centrefire rated.

I can understand people picking a range for the disciplines it covers. For example (and i have no idea of prices so these are only example figures). You live in Kildare. You only shoot Gallery & pistol. Why would you join the midlands. It does not cater specifically to your needs. So go elsewhere, and join a range that does. You find a local range that charges €200 for the first year, and €150 for every year after that. You are now sorted. However do not start complaining about another range that charges €295 per year when the range has vastly more overheads, caters more specifically to a different discipline, and is twice the travel time. I just don't get it. It's like me complaining about, say, Harbour House (only an example). I've never been there, i don't favour the disciplines they cater for so what business have i got complaining about their prices?

I'm not attacking anyone here. I'm not even saying people cannot complain or moan it's part and parcel of life. However if you are going to complain about one range all the time why not compare it to others, and see if the €295 per year is worth it for what you want.

i totally agree with you 600 euro is a small price to pay for what you get but the fact of the matter is the clubs main focus is on long range shooting so if your not in too that its not as appling to you.

This should be a range information thread:P

Since I was the one who mentioned Hilltop I'll give the facilities;

Circa €600 joining fee, cheaper for ladies/students I think. Renewal was €260 this year.

50m .22lr benchrest range
    Several 25yrd RF/CF outdoor pistol/gallery rifle bays
    Fully enclosed indoor 10-25m RF&CF pistol/rifle range
    Clays- ABT/Sporting/Compact/Novice
    Clubhouse /w firearm storage & a RFD onsite

Hi lads I have no problem with the price , its great value if your shooting different disciplines. And I know the facilities are great , also the price may put off some people who may wish to join to get firearms. As somebody who is already licensed for multiple firearms I personally just wanted somewhere where I could go to on a odd occasion to shoot in the company of like minded people. If you are a regular visitor its fantastic value , but that's just life . To get value for money you need to use your membership. Nick

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i totally agree with you 600 euro is a small price to pay for what you get......
    Again, for the FIRST year only. I have seen it written, and heard it said this is an annual fee. It's not.
    ........... but the fact of the matter is the clubs main focus is on long range shooting so if your not in too that its not as appling to you.
    Correct. So if you are not rifle orientated then don't join.

What i'm getting at is people that are not members complaining about having to pay €600 for the first year, while ignoring the renewal fee of €295, then comparing it to other ranges that do not have the facilities that the midlands have. Simple fact is if you are doing pistol, Gallery, etc then a 100 yard range is more than sufficient. However as general, and target rifle shooting occures between 50yards to 1,200 yards you need to have the range to accomodate those that want to shoot this. If you compare the price of building multiple "hundred yard" ranges to one or two 25-100 yard ranges then cost is nowhere near the same. There is enough sand in the backstop of the Creedmoor range to provide building material for an entire range dedicated to rimfire, Gallery, etc.

My point being compare like to like.
    Blay wrote: »
    This should be a range information thread:P
    Not a bad thought. Se what responses this thread gets then see if it makes sense to sticky it.
    .......... I'll give the facilities;
    joining price, and renewal fees?
    If you are a regular visitor its fantastic value , but that's just life . To get value for money you need to use your membership. Nick
    i think you just nailed it. The majority of people that complain only want to use the facilities once, twice maybe 4 times a year. It's a zeroing range they need, not a target range. The fact is the range is built, and designed to accomodate as many disciplines as it can while remaining true to the rifle shooting many members use it for.

The key to any range, any membership of any range is use. I mean if i were only paying €200 a year from year one for my membership, and only using it 2-3 times a year i'd consider my future with that range. While cheap at €66 - €100 per visit (average) it's too expensive.

However i use the midlands at least once a week. So for my €295 per year it costs me less than a €5 a week. That's for full access to all amenities, and 8 ranges. So it suits me perfectly. I know hunters that use the range almost as frequently, and especially in the "off seasons" so they are getting value for their money.

Correct. So if you are not rifle orientated then don't join.

the exact reason why after 5 years membership i will not be renewing and have already joined Harbour House which caters more towards my needs.

i agree with you the lads should not complain about the price if there not going to use the range that often

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

. To get value for money you need to use your membership. Nick

Not only do you have to use your membership to get value for money, but if you got your licence for a firearm on the back of being in a target shooting club, then you have to actually do some target shooting.

You have to have a valid reason for having the firearm here in Ireland. And if you put down target shooting on your FAC1 form as your valid reason and don't go to the range, then you are deemed to not have a valid reason for having the firearm.

If you don't go to the club, then you risk having your firearm taken away by the powers that be.

I know several clubs have drastically reduced the joining fee or made it payable over a longer period of time or by installments etc, the same clubs during the celtic tiger years had waiting lists of people trying to join and hiked up the fees ,now they can't get new members.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

AFAICS the REAL elephant in the room is the fact that the Midlands is the only range of its kind in the entire country.

So if you want to shoot there, and it's handy to get to, then you have to stump up the funds to do it.

When I'm not in Canada or the USA, I have to go to Switzerland to shoot an ordinary .22handgun that you all take for granted - bleeve me, that costs a whole lot more than a gentle womble down the road to the Midlands.

So, heartless as it sounds, my advice is to stump up or give up - nobody ever said that shooting was an economy sport.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I'm a member of midlands for several years, its currently 300 Euro to renew
    which is not an issue for me(or it has not been until I got the letter in the door the other day), and I think its got the best facilities in the
    entire country (Republic) and its annual price is excellent. If I had
    the money to be able to move from rim-fire to center-fire and shoot out
    to 1200 yards I would love to be able to do so (but cant afford it)

BUT!!! the Initial fee is off-putting for new shooters.
    LOTS of people have told me they would join a range if it was 2-300 Euro
    but would not be willing to pay 5-600 for the initial joining fee.

For me personally I only get to shoot a few times a year so I'm a very very
    casual shooter that only turns up the bare min amount of times
    so I feel like a complete outsider each and every time I turn up to shoot, despite being a member for a few years.

What I dont understand is why the initial fee is double the renewal fee.
    its fairly off putting to New people wanting to join for the first time and
    also for ex-members that want to change their minds and re-join.

I've had conversations with ex-members of midlands that have said they would
    not mind joining again but not if they had to pay full whack again.

When I first encountered Midlands range I could walk in off the street
    pay a range fee and shoot a club .22 CZ452 anytime I wanted without being a member.

So rather than Paying 600 Euro or even 300 renewal people could just pay range fees and shoot,
    When that changed I became a member and bought my own gun.
    I used to travel with friends that were members of midlands that were not regular shooters,
    it worked out better if they just turned up and paid range fees to shoot rather than paying to be a full member for the entire year so they became ex-members.

When I at later dates signed them in as guests I kinda got an unfriendly vibe for doing so
    and it really made me feel uncomfortable bringing a guest stroke ex member along.

~B

• Advertisement

bullets wrote: »
    If I had the money to be able to move from rim-fire to center-fire and shoot out to 1200 yards I would love to be able to do so (but cant afford it)
    However the ranges are there for you should you choose to do so. As the rimfire ranges are there should i choose to shoot my 22 instead of my target rifle. Unfortunately with such a large range everything is going to be more expensive, and trying to cover the facilities needed for everyone's interests is expensive, and hard work.
    BUT!!! the Initial fee is off-putting for new shooters.
    LOTS of people have told me they would join a range if it was 2-300 Euro
    but would not be willing to pay 5-600 for the initial joining fee.

What I dont understand is why the initial fee is double the renewal fee.
    its fairly off putting to New people wanting to join for the first time and
    also for ex-members that want to change their minds and re-join.
    If someone could build a range the size of the midlands, and only charge 200 - 300 per year i would join it too. Fact is the range does not come free, nor does the building work or the constant maintenance of it. Trying to do that on a fixed amount every year is somewhat hard. As is developing the range. Look at the building over the last couple of years. All done on the same amount, if not less, members. So taking the members that left, and the ones that joined i would hazard a guess that the total fees collected was either the same as previous years or slightly down on that. Still to develop the sport new ranges were needed so they had to be built.

With the midlands being the largest range in the country all eyes are always on it. Membership carries other privileges that most other ranges cannot provide. Such as licensing. The midlands caters for every legal caliber, and is rated for everything under 50cal. Meaning membership of the range can help in getting a license. Now if people were to join, use the membership of the range as a tool to get their license, then never bother showing up where does that leave the range or more importantly it's regular members. Next time i go for a .308 license to continue my target work, and the Super sees the midlands as my range, and knows of what has transpired previously with other "members" it makes getting my license harder as i have to prove my intentions are not the same as others.

As i have said before if you are a very casual member that uses the facilities once to three times per year, and only for zeroing, and feel the fee is not worth it then i would tell you to consider your options. For myself, and a good few others that actually make use of the full array of ranges and facilities the price is a bargain. Then throw into the mix the offers the range runs. 17 months for the price of 12, reduced price for 9-10 months, etc. They try to make it appealing or affordable yet no matter what they do, and even if they done away with the first year fees people would still complain.
    I've had conversations with ex-members of midlands that have said they would
    not mind joining again but not if they had to pay full whack again.
    Then why leave. If you leave for a year or even two and have to pay the €600 to re-join would it not have made more sense to just continue the yearly fees, and have the facilities at your disposal if and when you wanted them rather than leave, knowing what the fee is to re-join, and having to pay it?
    so I feel like a complete outsider each and every time I turn up to shoot, despite being a member for a few years.

When I at later dates signed them in as guests I kinda got an unfriendly vibe for doing so
    and it really made me feel uncomfortable bringing a guest / ex member along.
    Like all facilities they can be abused. If you bring a friend (ex-member or not) along a couple of times a year there is not a problem. When it becomes more a regular thing then it may be viewed as an "abuse" of a facility. However i think this may be your perception as i would be very surprised if someone actually told you to stop bringing people to the range.

Also you say you feel like and outsider, but also say you only visit on a few occasions per year. Surely this has nothing to do with the range, and more to do with your own perception again.

There are days i'm over at the range and everyone i meet could be a new face. I've been a member for 12 years, and with anywhere from 550 - 600 members that fluctuate over the years (new in, old out) i do not know everyone. However i've never felt like an outsider. Never been uncomfortable.

I'm not getting at you so do not take what i say as an argument against what you say. I'm only making observations from my experience.

The point of me posting on this thread was to address something that has been going on for years, and judging by the lack of responses to my question will continue to do so. I asked for other members of other ranges to display their fees, but so far have only received one response. I would be interested to see what facilities other ranges offer. What their joining fee is, and yearly fees after that.

It will serve two purposes. To see if the midlands really is as expensive at it's claimed for what it offers, and also to act as a possible guide to newcomers. new members seeking to find a suitable and affordable range.

how much would you pay to join this club ezridax ?

http://forum.guns.ru/forums/icons/forum_pictures/006212/6212354.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7eaZiNX_-e6eEjSIKHmNQkXiL1PMWvbela3Qo-IWPozRl6wHEdw

Simple choice really.

I can totally see where you are coming from with this. at the start of my membership i was a very active member. i was on the range nearly every weekend. i also felt like a complete outsider. im not saying that people were not helpful when i needed it cause they are very helpful but it wasnt until i really started to get into long range shooting that i felt like part of the club.

I brought a friend to the range with me (which is never a problem once they have a licence and insurance which is great) but on our drive home he commented that there seemed to be a kind of "clique" in the club. i guess he was kind of right. there is a few lads that shoot clays and a few lads thats use the 3P range but you seldom see new lads with them.

I honestly have no problem with the 600 euro joining fee but i think were the club falls down is yes it has loads of facilities but it is too focused on long range shooting. yes it has a 25m pistol range but from what i seen it is only used by a few members. i know the club like most was hit badly buy the handgun ban but what steps are the club making to promote pistol shooting now? yes the club has clay ranges but what is the club doing to promote the use of them.

the club is making fantastic progress with long range shooting with the introduction of the development team, pilot loading scheme and novice days.Im not trying to knock the club i just think it is very one dementional and that its not used to is full potenial. if they put the same amount of time into all its ranges it would be a more attractive club.

I suppose my argument is this. if joe blogs lived close to the range and had no interest in long range shooting would he get the same attention as a member who wants to get into long range shooting.

I just want to to stress the point i am not trying to slate the club i just think it could be so so much more than it is.If they were activily trying to promote pistol shooting or looking at bringing in gallery shooting i would probably still be a member.

TB26

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I agree with nearly everything Ezridax has already said.

The money aspect is not an issue for me although I've thought a few
    times surely if the initial joining fee was the same as the re-newel fee
    it would encourage greater numbers bringing in more cold hard cash,

For me I HAVE to be a member of a range because I dont hunt.
    For others that are already part of local game clubs and hunt they may not be willing to pay for two sets of membership fees. (But they often forget the Insurance is part of the Midlands fees which they may not take into account)
    (I have no idea if its still 600Euro's initial fees if people already have their own insurance)

I'd like to be able to use the facilities more and go more regularly.
    Would also love to fire out 1000-1200m and might have been even able to
    afford the kit if I did not waste my money on other hobbies over the years.

One of my issues with getting their regularly is transport & distance.
    I've several other hobbys/interests which I barely get time to do but can all do locally, shooting is the only one that I cant do locally cos we have no local range!

I dont drive and dont own a car so that pretty much screws me personally.
    I used to travel with members regularly who now have left which means when I do visit these days I end up bringing a guest along Which I feel uncomfortable/awquard/embarrassed doing. But that's my problem and not the ranges.

When I first stated going there was a lot more activity on the sheltered
    range and more of a buzz with friendly banter, last few times I was up
    if felt less busy and very quite but that may have been because a lot
    of people may have been shooting at the longer ranges and not hanging around the club house area.

~B

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i also felt like a complete outsider. im not saying that people were not helpful when i needed it cause they are very helpful but it wasnt until i really started to get into long range shooting that i felt like part of the club.
    I see this every week i'm over. New lads, and the same lads that come in, shoot, keep to themselves, and leave. I make every effort to be friendly as do most other lads, but some people are happy just shooting, and minding their own.

As said before with a range with nearly 600 members the chances are seeing the same faces every week are slim to none. I meet a lad only a month ago, and asked was he a new member. Said he was a member for 7 years. I'd never seen him before.

My point being don't be shy. I have often approached lads out of curiosity about their rifle/shooting, and got talking to them. Once they start talking they are fine. I'm not saying it's all sunshine and lollypops. Lads will just want to go shoot their rifle, and go home. If that's what they want they are free to do this. However if you make no effort to try and talk to other lads on the range of course you are going to feel "left out". The reason you felt at ease with all the F-Class lads is because we are a small enough number, and meet every week so we have to get on with each other, and outside the range we make contact to talk technique, wind, bullets, rounds, etc, etc.
    I brought a friend to the range with me (which is never a problem once they have a licence and insurance which is great) but on our drive home he commented that there seemed to be a kind of "clique" in the club. i guess he was kind of right. there is a few lads that shoot clays and a few lads thats use the 3P range but you seldom see new lads with them.
    Again there people that shoot a discipline, and only that discipline. If you spent years shooting the same style with the same people you'd be more comfortable with them than someone else.

However the word clique is a bit "off". I met many a lad, and a good few from Boards by going over, and talking to them, and them me. Yourself included. I have never seen anyone approach another on the range, and be told to "go away" or to not be spoken to. I also see lads that could be watching the lads trainging for F-Class, PR60, BR, and when i ask them why they don't go up for a look at the guns, talk to the lads, they say it's not important or they don't want to disturb them. That's crap. The lads would never have an issue with anyone talking to them. Obviously you don't start when they are shooting, but you know what i mean.
    I honestly have no problem with the 600 euro joining fee but i think were the club falls down is yes it has loads of facilities but it is too focused on long range shooting.
    The NRAI bases itself out of the midlands, and the range is primarily a long range target club. So of course the focus is on F-Class/long range. The other side of that is what you see. 5 ranges for F-Class/medium, and long range shooting. They stand out more than the smaller ranges, and require a lot more effort to run, and organise than the 50mtr benchrest range or, 25 mtr pistol range.
    yes it has a 25m pistol range but from what i seen it is only used by a few members. i know the club like most was hit badly buy the handgun ban but what steps are the club making to promote pistol shooting now? yes the club has clay ranges but what is the club doing to promote the use of them.
    The range built the pistol range to accommodate their members that wanted to shoot pistol. After 2008 the majority of the regular members lost their pistols. As the range is not primarily a pistol range the effects were more evident than another range that deals almost exclusively with pistols. A few comps have been held, and new target system, baffles, etc put in place. However turn out to these events were low. So let me ask you this. If you hald 6 comps, and the turn out was 10 or less for each one would you continue to hold events running the risk that no one turns up or would you focus on other disciplines that still have the numbers to make it functional?

The shotgun range is a work in progress. Due to the extensive building work on the Creedmoor range the shotgun range took a back seat. Talking as someone that use to shoot clays every weekend i can tell you that every weekend was packed with clay shooters, and there is a new shotgun range being developed at the moment with it's own clubhouse, etc. Again it's all money. Because you don't see anything happening doe not mean it is not happening. Every range demands from a few thousand to tens of thousands to build, and run. With 8+ ranges that's alot, and some things have to take prioity over others.
    the club is making fantastic progress with long range shooting with the introduction of the development team, pilot loading scheme and novice days. I'm not trying to knock the club i just think it is very one dementional and that its not used to is full potential. If they put the same amount of time into all its ranges it would be a more attractive club.
    And how would you accomplish this? Between regular volunteers, and lads that turn up now, and then it is hard to try and get everything done, and keep everyone happy. It's easy to see faults in a range when the understanding behind how it's run is not known.I volunteered my time whenever i can, and i'd go over days with a goal in mind. However when i get there something else, say grass cutting, needs done. That's a full day of uninterrupted cutting, and you realise you never got around to doing what you wanted.

Also as i said at the start of this. I notice the focus is still fixed on the midlands. If other ranges are cheaper, and beter why has no one responded? Here is another one for you. Reverse the roles. If i live near Hilltop, Harbour house, Ballyhoura, etc and want to do long range shooting. What are those clubs/ranges doing to promote it? Where do their members go if they want to try it? See, it's easy to pick holes when a range does not offer everything every shooter wants. Frankly i don't any range that can offer everything. Unless they are funded by the Euromillions i don't think it is possible.
    I suppose my argument is this. if joe blogs lived close to the range and had no interest in long range shooting would he get the same attention as a member who wants to get into long range shooting.
    The midlands has many rimfire, and BR shooters. Infact it sent members over to the Europeans the last year or two. Again you don't see it, but it does happen.

Also a brand new BR range was built for them, and to accommodate PR60/3P shooting even though the number that do it regularly is small. New tables, bays, target system, etc.What more do you think they need? I'm not nit picking here, but the same can be said of every range. Do they accommodate what their members want in every discipline or do they cater for as many as possible while focusing on one that is the largest.
    I just want to to stress the point i am not trying to slate the club i just think it could be so so much more than it is.If they were activily trying to promote pistol shooting or looking at bringing in gallery shooting i would probably still be a member.
    6 months to a year ago when you were into long range shooting and had no real interest in Gallery or pistol shooting the range fulfilled your needs. Now that you have changed disciplines it does not fulfill them all. You moved to a range that does. That's fair enough.

My point in all this discussion is this. No range, including the midlands, can accommodate every discipline. It's not financially possible, and in some cases due to location physically possible. Think about this. What you are asking for is all the ranges that the midlands currently have;
    • 25 mtr zeroing range.
    • 50 mtr plinking range.

plus;
    • Indoor 10 - 25mtr for ISSF shooting
    • Indoor 50 mtr for PR60/3P & Benchrest.
    • Gallery range in whatever format that takes (not sure as i've never shot it)
    • Silhouette range for both rimfire, and fullbore
    • Extensive shotgun ranges to cover all styles
    • Archery range

The fact is the midlands can accommodate;
    • FTR
    • F-Open
    • TR
    • Match rifle
    • Classic/vintage rifle
    • PR60 (outdoor)
    • Benchrest
    • Shotgun/clays
    • Pistol

I think that overs a multitude of disciplines. I'm sure the midlands would love to be able to have more ranges, and cover all disciplines the problem is money. Eveything is built off membership fees. When a new discipline is being focused on it means others have to take a back seat for a year or two to rebuild funds to improve facilities for those that shoot other disciplines. What you are asking for cannot be done without serious funding or unless the midlands starts charging through the nose for it's members to have use of the ranges. As they pay their yearly membership fee this simply will not happen. The midlands is not a commercial range in the sense it is not a business. No one is getting rich of it, and all work, and facilities have been put there by the members for the members.
    I used to travel with members regularly who now have left which means when I do visit these days I end up bringing a guest along Which I feel uncomfortable/awquard/embarrassed doing. But that's my problem and not the ranges.
    I know it's easy said, but you shouldn't. As a member you can bring a guest. I have done so on many occasions over the years, and some even joined and got into the sport. We are all grown men, and i'm sure if there was any issue with people either bringing guests or the frequency of them doing so that it would be addressed. My attitude is, without being a dick about it, continue to do so until told otherwise as you'll find that you were "worrying" about something that existed in your mind only.
    When I first stated going there was a lot more activity on the sheltered
    range and more of a buzz with friendly banter, last few times I was up
    if felt less busy and very quite but that may have been because a lot
    of people may have been shooting at the longer ranges and not hanging around the club house area.

~B
    Another aspect to consider. Since 2008, and taking into consideration the issue with pistols, people have less and less money. Even the regulars that i would see on a weekly basis are not present as often simply because they cannot afford to keep up their sport. Between fuel to the range, ammo costs, and not forgetting the essentials like food, mortgages, electricity, etc the money is simply not there. People are trying to keep them and their families going on a shoe string budget and keep up a sport they have enjoyed for years. When something has to give it's usually shooting as it's a luxury not a necessity.

I have been affected by this as much as anyone. Having lost my job, suffering health issues, mounting bills, etc. It makes for grim reading, but i use my shooting as an outlet. As soon as i hit the gate (figuratively) a weight is lifted, and i can relax, and forget about the world for a few hours. Have a coffee, a laugh, do a bit of shooting, and i usually go home in a good mood. Until the real world kicks in the next day to wake me up.

I feel i have said as much as i can to address all matters, and issues. I am defending a range i love going to as well as trying to offer an explanation for things people see, and their assumptions of these things. Money is king. Without it any sport will die. Unfortunately the bigger you are the harder it is to accommodate everyone. Look at the baffles. On any other range there may be a couple. On the midlands it's in the dozens. All this new regulations/legislation costs money, and when new safety features like this have to be installed they take from other aspects or features the money could have been used for.

It's a hard game to run a range. I don't envy anyone that undertakes the task, but i do admire their dedication to their given sport that they try to make it available to others. Perhaps if we had a larger target shooting population or a better/larger grant system from the ISC things would be different, but they are not, and while i dislike the "sure'll it'll alright" attitude unfortunately we have no option but to continue as is for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'm only a member the last year, renewing for the first time this month, and I don't know how you can feel like an outsider down there. I'm not a long range shooter. I use the 100-300m range for zeroing and practising with a hunting rifle but mostly I just shoot ISSF 50m prone and three-positions on the enclosed 50m range. Half the time I'm down there, I get sweet shag all done for the first half of the day as I end up bumping into everyone and getting into a load of good conversations, or dragged off to have a look at some new piece of kit or the like. I find the atmosphere and the social aspect of Midlands to be brilliant. If you're feeling like an outsider after however many years, just because you don't shoot long range, it's probably nothing to do with the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bioclays

You could look up Carrick glen cpc through face book or they have a web page , they are based between Newcastle and roundwood in Wicklow

Advertisement