Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MNSCI (Midlands) 100 & 300 (optional 500 yard) open "STAG" shoot.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yup.

I'd actually advise people to do this. They are not the same, as outlined in a previous post, so the target area will be different on each one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

Cass wrote: »
    Yup.

I'd actually advise people to do this. They are not the same, as outlined in a previous post, so the target area will be different on each one.

I mean can we see them online someplace before Sunday?? To memorise them and avoid confusion!!

fabwing wrote: »
    Would it be ok to shoot the 100 as i have not yet shot to 300, i dont think my scope is up to the job or maybe its just me. 243 tikka
    Forgot about this.

Anyone wanting to shoot 100 only can do so. Just make sure to inform the lads on the morning so you're only put down for the one distance.
    patsat wrote: »
    I mean can we see them online someplace before Sunday?? To memorise them and avoid confusion!!
    None that i know of. They have been up in the range clubhouse for the last couple of weeks and the only picture i can find online is too small to make out the target areas.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Well lads the shooting Gods have once again decided to take the piss.

With weeks of fine weather we are facing into a wet and windy day tomorrow. So i'd advise all of ye intending to come along to bring rain gear and the appropriate gear for your rifle. Cover, cleaning stuff, etc.

We have the sheltered range available to us in case the weather did turn,but we'll try to run it for as long as we can on the windmill range.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

I have a Free seat from Galway at 7am if anyone is in need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭German pointer

Unfortunately I can't make it and was really looking forward to it best if luck to all shooters

For my sins I'll be dipping my toe into the Atlantic with the kids.

Had a great laugh at this today, it was well run and challenging to remember where you were supposed to shoot and not all the animals were perfectly broadside so shot placement varied. The wind changed whilst I was firing at the 300, I felt it die off a bit at the end but with so much going through my head I decided not to take off a click. I could maybe have increased my score on the last animal if I had accounted for this but that's a lesson learned for me!

I think the format was perfect, I know people suggested shooting from sticks but timed exposures off sticks would be very difficult! It would see the shooting standard drop considerably. I think keeping it all prone, reducing the exposure time and introducing negative marking for wounding animals would make a great competition.

Congrats to the lads that competed and thanks to the lads for working the butts & running the comp.

It was fun and nice to put faces to the usernames

Ziggieire wrote: »
    It was fun and nice to put faces to the usernames

You were the only Username I knew of there, and your face wasn't any surprise after watching you on Youtube!

Your right i need a shave
    well there was you and about 3 others than i cannot remember there user names but i know there names.
    Oh and i seen the man behind the Cass!

• Advertisement

Turn out was down on what i thought it would be, but it was only after the shoot someone told me it's a bank holiday weekend. So that coupled with the poxy weather done us no favours. However at least the format is out there and we can get feedback and when the next one goes ahead we'll have it pinned down and maybe introduce some kneeling and standing shots if it's liked/wanted.

Also met a few of ye today, a lot of the others i knew already from over the years and various comps, and on a side note met some old members of the MNSCI that i have not seen in years. So good day for the chat.
    Ziggieire wrote:
    Oh and i seen the man behind the Cass!
    Sorry for not coming over to say hello. As said met a few old friends and between that and the usual chat never got to say hello to everyone, but i did see ya.

Got a quick look at your new IOR Patsat. Very nice lad, some piece of kit. Well ware.

I'll say this much about ye. Fair play for shooting in that especially at the start. The fine rain/mist and strong winds could not have made it easy or comfortable.

So any feedback any of ye have would help towards making the next one that bit better.

Got a quick look at your new IOR Patsat. Very nice lad, some piece of kit. Well ware.

Thanks, it served me well today, that's 2 comps since I got it and racked up a 3rd n 1st with it! :D was that you that had a look through it in the sheltered range??

So any feedback any of ye have would help towards making the next one that bit better.

As said above, I think keeping it prone would keep the shoot moving fast, changing positions would take a lot of time and drastically reduce the quality of shooting. Trying to identify your animal, shoot off sticks at 100 yards at both the head and heart under time constraints would be very tough!

I think increasing the difficulty by less exposure time (wind permitted!!) and penalties for wounded animals would keep the shoot moving at a good pace.

patsat wrote: »
    Thanks, it served me well today, that's 2 comps since I got it and racked up a 3rd n 1st with it! :D
    Surely is. Those targets were harder than even i thought. The red outline really hides the scoring zone and as such you rely on pure instinct to hit it. A good challenge, but not impossible.
    was that you that had a look through it in the sheltered range??
    No lad, not me.

I met you when yo came into the clubhouse. I was wearing the black addidas top and talking sh*te (nothing new) around the pool table with the lads early this morning.

I got a look at the scope and rifle from a little bit of a distance and wanted to get a look through it. However a friend of mine that got badly injured a few years ago made his return to the range today and i spent a while talking with him. So as said above my apologies for not getting around to saying hello to everyone.
    As said above, I think keeping it prone would keep the shoot moving fast, changing positions would take a lot of time and drastically reduce the quality of shooting. Trying to identify your animal, shoot off sticks at 100 yards at both the head and heart under time constraints would be very tough!
    The other issue we have to deal with on the Midlands range is stick shooting at distances. Because of the level land we sometimes have a harder time trying to hold such multi-positional shoots. IOW there is a higher chance of a stray round when a lad is shooting of sticks at 300+ yards. The only time i see sticks being used is during the Hcap and that is only done at 40 & 60 yards. IOW you'd need a 35+ degree shot angle to go over the backstop. IOW do it on purpose.

The prone is good, and frankly it suits everyone's needs and preferences. So all lads enjoy prone, but only some would try the sticks, kneeling etc. So it's best to stick with what suits everyone.
    I think increasing the difficulty by less exposure time (wind permitted!!) and penalties for wounded animals would keep the shoot moving at a good pace.
    I was watching the shooting and noticed that too. The funny part is the "rules" on the targets say you should have 2 minutes for 3 shots at 300 yards. That is a savage long time, and i think, completely unnecessary. Now i know it was not used but i did see at 100 yards that most lads had both shots gone well within the 10 second time frame. So it might be an idea to shorten the 100 yard timeframe. As for 300, well maybe leave it for the time being as some lads might want or need it. I mean the wind today must have been challenging at 300. The flag in this picture never dropped and actually picked up throughout the shooting. Apologies for the pic, but it was warm in the jeep so i took it through the window.. :D

picture.php?albumid=2370&pictureid=15251

One thing i noticed today was there wasn't a "bad" rifle on the line. By that i mean a lot/most had top quality scopes, and some degree of customisation. Very nice rigs all of them.

On one of the 100 yard targets, my mag wasn't fully up and didn't chamber the second round. I still had time to recover and take my time for a 3rd shot.

True, a lot of quality rifles! Any idea what the lad in second was shooting? I had a quick look at it but didn't recognize what it was. 3rd place was a completely factory tikka so people shouldn't be intimidated by competing against the custom rigs.

Advertisement