Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atheists worse than the religious types they despise.

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm an atheist and I don't give people grief for being religious once they don't force it on me - in fact I have quite a lot of respect for, especially younger, people who stick with it, can't be easy. Wouldn't like any decent religious person having to endure personal abuse/ridicule for believing.
    However, I do find there seems to be a number of people who fall over themselves to condemn atheists as arrogant (sometimes solely based on Richard Dawkins - we get it, he's an arrogant prick) - often not religious either, just anxious, it appears, to show how right-on they are. Atheism isn't automatically = arrogance.
    I was amazed at some of the people who thanked the re-reg OP in that recent thread where he was basically saying "People who say they're atheist are just trying to be trendy [one of the most retarded sentiments ever] and Irish people should remain repressed catholics in order to be true to their Irishness".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

If religious people weren't trying to drive a fundamentalist wedge into politics and the moral Zeitgeist, there would be no need for atheists to be so vocal. Perhaps someone more broadminded might realise that there is in fact good reason for all the recent press coverage of atheists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Ah jaysus...am I allowed to say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

What did you say MLM?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

Patricide wrote: »
    Ok its very seldom I start a thread on AH but there is something that really has been pissing me off as of late.

Militant Atheists!

You know the type of guys-gals who will immediately protest about religion at the slightest chance. Now dont get me wrong, im far from a right wing religious nut. Its just that recently with all these retarded threads, and with a lot of my friends its the exact same **** over and over. Even if we would so much as mention the church here or every time i would in real life pass a a church with my friends the following would ensues:

"you believe in something, o your retarded, your wrong, science is the only constant in this world, there is no proof for anything you believe in, rabble rabble"

"but i dont really believe..."

"rabble rabble rabble, church is wrong, everyone is an idiot except atheists rabble rabble"

The thing is im not talking about preachers or whatever here, these are just average everyday joe soaps like you and me. They dont work for any church they dont go to prayer meetings or whatever else the religious nutjobs seem to do.

90% of the time I feel like im dealing with born again christians trying to convert me rather than "scientific minds". And the thing is these are the same people who usually freak out if they see some religious guy so much as handing out flyers on the street. I mean at least hes doing it as part of his church (an sometimes even for a good cause). However these people just seem to love to argue about how religion is only a pack of ****.

Tl;dr : Militant Atheist types, we get it, you believe in nothing, you find it illogical that people do. However there is no need to shout it from the rooftops every 5 minutes, I dont see any catholic people taking such an aggressive stance(except the right wing nuts).

EDITED to get my message a bit better across.

I'm an atheist and I totally agree with you; there's a lot of us that are annoying d!ckheads. Don't judge us all though on the few idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I dont, I just cant stand people of any religion shoving **** down my throat. I just thought being that atheism is the absence of religion that there may be one set of people who dont have preacher types.

How wrong I was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Patricide wrote: »
    I dont, I just cant stand people of any religion shoving **** down my throat. I just thought being that atheism is the absence of religion that there may be one set of people who dont have preacher types.

How wrong I was.

I'm struggling with the concept of atheists as "one set of people" to begin with... they've got nothing in common apart from an absence of believe.

It's a well-worn example by now, but would you call non-stamp-collectors a "set of people"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    I dont see what kind of lesson this teaches :confused:

One possile lesson comes from the fact that it is thought there were groups/religions in the area at the time who practiced human sacrifice. IMO it is equal parts this (i.e. not condoning human sacrifice), a test of Abraham's faith, and an exhibition of God's faith in Abraham.

Anywho the Christianity forum is probably the best place to continue this Bible study. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    not believing in god is the same as believing there is no god?
    unless ofcourse you believe in something else such as a flying spaghetti monster.

I think I have found my new god :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Yes, I find a lot of the more vocal ones are as bad as the fundamentalists of the religions they so despise..

Yeah, but an Atheist will never blow himself up in the name of religion. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

prinz wrote: »
    One possile lesson comes from the fact that it is thought there were groups/religions in the area at the time who practiced human sacrifice. IMO it is equal parts this (i.e. not condoning human sacrifice), a test of Abraham's faith, and an exhibition of God's faith in Abraham.

Anywho the Christianity forum is probably the best place to continue this Bible study. :pac:
    There's historical evidence for such also.

Advertisement