Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shapeless Black Trousers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I read a while back that you should spend the most money on the clothes you wear most often. So applying that logic, you should buy good work clothes. I think that it's true.

I work in a professional services industry where I meet with clients on a regular basis. I'm not into blow-drying my hair, or spending ages on my make-up but where I do make an effort is with clothes and shoes. I know that I wear clothes and combinations that no one else wears and it's all because I've invested in good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Fletch123 wrote: »
    I started off dressing well for my last job, but I found that I got disapproving looks and smirks when I wore 'different clothes' such as a black dress with purple tights. As I became less happy in the job my fashion became more subdued.

How narrow-minded of your colleagues! And a black dress with purple tights isn't strange at all - it sounds like a lovely outfit.

Fortunately, in my line of work, you can wear pretty much whatever you want and also, personally, I don't give a damn what other people think of my clothes as long as I am happy with them myself. I'm always amazed at the sort of talk I overehear in changing rooms in boutiques, though - a lot of people seem to be very nervous of trying anything different!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭coco85

I know this is a bit off the beaten track.. but i saw a tv programme a few months ago about etiquette and how people dress at work.

According to the presenter-(now i don't know how true this statement is)... 85% of pomotions are based on peoples etiquette and how they present themselves at work and only 15% of promotions are based on technical skills.

So maybe it is worth the effort in dressing well for work (if circumstances allow)...

I know i couldn't be bothered dressing up too much to go into an office where nobody really cares how you look...i'd prefer the extra time in bed in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

worked in London for the social services ..the dress code was Ware anything you like ...but she always dressed smart because she said if you want to get promoted you don't were anything you like to work...you make an effort

Advertisement