Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must have Shotgun Accessories and Bits

Options
  • 15-08-2015 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Should be getting my first shotgun soon now :D
    Just wondering what are handy and must have accessories etc :D
    Its a Baikal MP 43 E Double barrel SXS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

1shot16 wrote: »

Scope, mounts, bipod, moderator and a bayonet.

Cleaning kit..... Maybe!😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Chainsaw for CQB

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

cleaning kit and gun oil for the gun. good warm gear for yourself for the winter and a good pair of boots. you might
    think of buying a dog. best of luck with the new gun shoot straight and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

Ear defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Any ideas on good jacket and boots?

Have basics like old patches etc not my first gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭IrishTarget

Remington 870 black stock and side saddle. You need a 870. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Get yourself a set of ear defenders : plugs for rough shooting and over ear for decoying.

A good cartridge belt, but I prefer a shooting vest with cartridge loops, dump pockets and internal game bag.

If counting pennies get a Gortex ex army single layer rain jacket (avoid anything with big chest pockets that may snag the gun but). Try to use fleece jackets as opposed to jumpers, and under arm zips are very handy. Good strong wellington boots with good soles will be a God send on wet icey and mucky days. Heavy trousers will protect against weather and under growth ( Sealand do a good heavy pair). Baseball type caps are great for shading the eyes and head from the sun as well as offering a degree of face cover if hide shooting.

If you have some tillage on your permissions you'll might think about getting a dozen pigeon decoys as there will be plenty of decoying over the coming months with the continuing harvest, sowing and over winter vegetables etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

If you do a lot of duck or / and pigeon decoying then a sling - to carry the shotgun over your shoulder - can be very handing when carrying nets, decoys, hide poles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

J.R. wrote: »
    If you do a lot of duck or / and pigeon decoying then a sling - to carry the shotgun over your shoulder - can be very handing when carrying nets, decoys, hide poles etc.

Great idea, a real leather sling is a lovely addition to a s/s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Any ideas on good jacket and boots?

Have basics like old patches etc not my first gun.

You live in Ireland and you don't know from a good jacket and boots?

Oy.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Do you lads were ear defenders?
    Never worn them in me life and don't know anyone that does either except maybe one or two for trap shooting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tac foley wrote: »
    You live in Ireland and you don't know from a good jacket and boots?
    I've seen young lads and new shooters going out with runners on them because they don't know and how could they? Most times they focus on getting the gun and as such forgot or never even thought of the other items needed such as good boots, jackets, etc. Plus for any new shooter under 18 they are most likely still in school and cannot afford the cost of good quality boots, jackets, etc.
    Never when hunting/out in the field. Always on the range.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    I've seen young lads and new shooters going out with runners on them because they don't know and how could they? Most times they focus on getting the gun and as such forgot or never even thought of the other items needed such as good boots, jackets, etc. Plus for any new shooter under 18 they are most likely still in school and cannot afford the cost of good quality boots, jackets, etc.

I have always worn runners out and a dirty old jumper have the camo pants thats all :P

Ye its hard to afford the stuff like shooting clothing and bits only have about 100 quid left for ammo for shotgun and rifle after the gun licence is paid for which aint alot of ammo for me haha :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I was the same, to a degree.

I was lucky in that i was "born into" a shooting/hunting family. So these things were explained to me and when i was young they were generally bought for me. So i learned what i needed by accompanying those that knew. However i did wear runners on summer days, and what was comfortable over what was needed or practical.

For new lads, and it surprised me how many there are, that are the first in their family to take up shooting they must learn by trial and error. Even then it's a case of choosing between ammo or a new pair of boots and even then not a great pair. When i was in my teens all i wanted was ammo and to out having a shot.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Don't sweat about your bullets and cartridges. From your previous posts I'd say you've well shot out the urges to shoot your 22 at every opportunity, so if it's for field use a half dozen box's of round will last you a good while.
    Unless your going to bash clays for a while the shotgun won't be too expensive to run. Days decoying pigeons can burn up cartridges but without derailing the thread a slab of 28g 7 1/2 will cost approximately €55.00 and IMO perfect for decoying. Four or five box's of 32 / 34g No 6 will see you through the bird season and when the pocket is healthy you can pick up the odd box of BB's for foxes or No5's for ducks just to have in your pockets for those opportune times.
    If the pennies are tight get a pair of cheep wellies and good socks as there's some good shooting to be had over wet ground and latter for all round hunting get a pair of ex army gortex boots (German /British ).
    Most importantly get out, shoot and enjoy yourself.

Never worn them in me life and don't know anyone that does either except maybe one or two for trap shooting

I'm 46 and my hearing is fcuked. This is from a combination of too much loud music via head phones as a teenager, military service and a degree of hereditary deefness, but really too much music.
    To day I use ear defenders while decoying pigeons and use foam ear plugs for rough shooting. The plugs offer a superficial level of protection while allowing me to be situationly aware.
    At this stage several shots from a 12 gauge will case the bells to ring for quite a while and although handy to ignore the wife the neighbours don't appreciate having to listen to my telly turned right up

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

Yes always, the Howard Leith ones are very good.
    http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Impact-Electric-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O

Being deaf is a terrible disability.

My father never shot as he not from this country so only one in the family that shoots...He hates guns but after 2 years hes got use to me using and having the safe in my room haha.Tried to get the younger brother into it but he has no interest :(
    Unless your going to bash clays for a while the shotgun won't be too expensive to run. Days decoying pigeons can burn up cartridges but without derailing the thread a slab of 28g 7 1/2 will cost approximately €55.00 and IMO perfect for decoying. Four or five box's of 32 / 34g No 6 will see you through the bird season and when the pocket is healthy you can pick up the odd box of BB's for foxes or No5's for ducks just to have in your pockets for those opportune times.

Thats the plan when i get the shotty haha up the sand pit with a slab and box of clays haha.
    Most importantly get out, shoot and enjoy yourself.

Oh i do haha when out yesterday for a few bunnies :D Try to get out as much as i can.Some new land would be nice though :p

The Baikals are sturdy guns but don't shoot the sh1t of it with the clays, remember even though it's made from old Siberian railway lines 😁😁😁 it's still a SxS primarily built for game shooting with infrequent shots. So putting a slab of 28g through pretty quickly may not be too good for it. Let them barrels cool off between 10 or more quick shots.

The Baikals are sturdy guns but don't shoot the sh1t of it with the clays, remember even though it's made from old Siberian railway lines 😁😁😁 it's still a SxS primarily built for game shooting with infrequent shots. So putting a slab of 28g through pretty quickly may not be too good for it. Let them barrels cool off between 10 or more quick shots.

How often of a rest between each ten shots or so a min or two?

Or would i be better off steady shooting maybe 2 or 4 shots a minute be fine?

• Advertisement

I'm using 10 shots as an example based on a average shot count seen at a sporting clay stand etc. 2-4 shots a minute continuously is IMO a fare amount of cartridges that about a slab in an hour, a 50 bird sporting would be run through fast if completed in 30 minutes.
    Usually you don't shoot continuously, one shooter takes the stand and shoots maybe 5 odd pairs that's 10 shots, then another shooter steps up etc, meanwhile your gun is broken and cooling. Even if your making your way around a sporting layout on your own there's the interval that it takes to walk between each stand.
    A fast round of DTL will certainly heat the barrels of any sporting gun and that may only be 25 birds with a minimum of 25 and maximum of 50 cartridge discharged.
    You're got to remember there's a lot more bang for your buck going down that shotgun barrel unlike your 22 which you can within reason shoot all day long. If you and a few mates are going to shoot your gun one after the other then your going to put it under pressure. Let the barrels cool off between shooters and realistically keep shot count down to 10 shells at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

When I first started shooting we do exactly as you plan out every other weekend with a slab and box of clays. Never gave the guns a minute.
    End result was one destroyed single barrel and a sxs

Advertisement