Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deer hunting license

• 05-08-2015 9:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭

Arrived today, pretty in pink

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Fingers crossed mine does too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sweet.

Nothing yet for me, but i'm nearly always a week behind most others, plus i was told there was a bit of a back log so must start keeping an eye on the post.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

That's great ☺☺
    I'm away for a while so won't know till I get home in a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

I spoke to them last week at that time there was a 6 week backlog eek.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hank .308

Yes lads. Was just wondering how these late licences are gonna effect the start of the season .would hate ta miss it !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I actually forgot to submit mine until I saw this thread :-0

Letters signed tomorrow, in the post tomorrow evening.

Never got a renewal notification!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

A lot of them were E-Mailed out to people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I had to ring them again this year as no renewal was sent out. The girl in the office apologized but said it went to my email. Turned out they had the wrong email address 'hotmail' instead of 'Gmail' , the exact same typo was done for the mates renewal.
    Sorted now.....see if they get it right next year or will it be three strikes in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Received mine today too.

Emailed application back in April/May.

Never received any return email confirmations.

FISMA. wrote: »
    Never received any return email confirmations.
    Believe it or not that is good news. That you got it even though you received no reply.

I did not receive a reply last year and only after i called was a problem identified and resolved. No reply this year either, but i submitted all new permissions to avoid the issue with one of the permissions i had last year so hoping the licenses just come through.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭villa1979

Got letter in post stating the folio numbers on the permission are not right considering ive used the same permissions with the same folio numbers for the last 5 years is a pain in the ass rang the farmer who told me they are his folio numbers i need this permit to apply for my new 308 licence so its looking like i wont get out on the 1st:mad: could the npws not have let me know earlier that there was a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

My pink license also arrived yesterday but i do not shoot deer until November with all the flies heat and rutting over, two or three deer do me every year as that is all we will eat, i do more looking than shooting.

My 'pink license' also arrived today.......so all set for the forthcoming season with the extra day for year that's in it!!!......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Emailed my submission on Saturday afternoon, and got a reply/acknowledged this morning and they confirmed that they had the wrong email address for me hence no renewal notification.

In fairness, that's a quick reply.

They also said they are dealing with submissions from the 22nd June at the moment so a backlog to be cleared.

I emailed them today to enquire about my one that I sent in in June and they replied within the hour to confirm that I'm approved but it won't be printed and posted till next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Sorry to derail the thread slightly as I fell upon this thread but I didn't know you could hunt deer.

So how does it work, is there certain lands you can only hunt on, a quota that you can't go over? What about certain ages or types of deer? Should I watch out for ye fellas if I'm biking through the forests?

rizzodun wrote: »
    So how does it work, is there certain lands you can only hunt on,
    Two types of lands.
    1. Coilte/leased lands - Where you pay to "rent" the lands owned by Coilte and can only shoot during specified hours on those lands.
    2. Private lands - Lands you acquire through asking local land owners and farmers for permission to shoot on their lands. In this case the NPWS will check the lands for suitability and depending on the amount of people claiming they have permission on those lands, the sustainability of having "X" amount of people stalking deer on them.
    a quota that you can't go over?
    No.

However at the end of each year/season each deer hunter must provide the numbers, species and location of all animals shot by them. This way if the NPWS deem that too many have been shot on certain lands they may refuse to issue future licenses the following year.

It's all about deer management and conservation.
    What about certain ages or types of deer?
    Each season runs from September to the end of February the following year (6 months in total). Within each season there are time restraints on what gender can be shot in each month, and within that again (for males) whether they have antlers or not.

There is a complete ban on shooting Red deer in county Kerry. All year, every year. Also all deer may only be shot one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. NO night shooting (except under special license, and under special circumstances).

Lastly some invasive species such as the Muntjac have a year long season in an attempt to stop it getting a foothold in the country. However the normal deer stalking rules apply. They are a deer legal rifle, only during daylight hours,, etc.
    Should I watch out for ye fellas if I'm biking through the forests?
    I'll take that as a joke, otherwise it'd offend pretty much every hunter out there.

As firearm owners, and hunters by association, we are scrutinised, and checked up the backside. These include, but are not limited to:
    • Name
    • Address
    • Surrender of medical records
    • Full disclosure of any previous convictions/charges (relating to any offence)
    • Previous addresses
    • Previous names
    • That we have met minimum standards in home security
    • Full background checks on us
    • Have competency certificates to prove we can safely handle firearms
    • Home visitations/inspections

The point is we are not some bunch of "gun nuts" out trying to kill Bambi with no regard for public safety or the animals welfare. Even a baseless report of a hunter brandishing a firearm (not even firing it) can result in the hunter loosing his/her firearms for a long period of time or indefinitely. And not just the one s/he has in his/her possession, but all of them. Most times with no hope to ever owning one again.

It is for this reason we are, and act, above and beyond the normal "standard" that every other person may be held to.

Lastly if you are cycling/walking or hiking through a national forest then there are protocols in place (by Coilte) that hunters must place signs that culling is in effect. Also every hunter is acutely aware of their surroundings and will never take a shot if there is even the slightest risk of them not knowing exactly where the bullet will end up.

If you are on private forestry or a forestry that crosses private land, well the same applies, but unlike national forestry or public lands you run the risk of trespassing. All the land owners who have given me permission are extremely protective of their lands and allow no others on them regardless of the purpose, and as such have instructed me to ring them and/or An Gardaí if i catch anyone on the lands other than myself.

I hope this explains all you are looking for.

The point about watching out for hunters was a bit tongue in cheek, but not meant to offend, and I absolutely believe you're all responsible gun owners, it did however cross my mind about how would one know there was shooting going on, I've ridden forests that have taken me the same places that deer would be, so of course it would be where you're stalking too.

Of course I also believe that you would never take a shot if you didn't know what you were aiming at, and to be honest if I saw signs that culling was going on or knew there were hunters in the forest I would probably go somewhere else so that our mutual hobbies are not affected, some organisations like Coillte are hard enough to deal with without differing groups of people wanting to get access to their lands causing hassle for each other, thanks for the info all the same, it's interesting to find out about this, as I never heard of it before, good luck with the season in that case.

The point about watching out for hunters was a bit tongue in cheek, but not meant to offend,
    Absolutely, and no offence taken.

As firearm owners, and moreso hunters we are subject to insult, ridicule and harrassment by those that do not:
    1. Understand what we do
    2. Agree with what we do
    3. Care either way and simply are opposed to it as it's the "popular" ethos

Without derailing the thread completely with some long winded, soapbox speech, we (the collective hunting community) :
    • Provide a service free of charge
    • Cull animal populations that have no natural predators
    • Strengthen and improve the gene pool
    • Undertake (at our own cost) conservation, re-introduction and breeding programs
    • Contribute tens of millions to our local communities and the exchequer each year
    • Continue a way of life & sport (fieldsport) that stretches back further than any other sport in this country including GAA.
    Of course I also believe that you would never take a shot if you didn't know what you were aiming at,
    Not only what we are aiming at, but where the bullet will stop, what's behind our target, and in that split second we decide to take the shot or not. If there is anything unknown or even slightly "risky" the shot won't be taken. It's better to loose a shot than take a risky one.
    some organisations like Coillte are hard enough to deal with without differing groups of people wanting to get access to their lands causing hassle for each other,
    I'm by no means trying to do "oneupmanship" here, but any hunter/stalker on Coilte land has bidded for and paid (at times) large amounts of money to hunt on those lands, and that does not include the courses and tests they must pass prior to being allowed to shoot (if they fail these tests they loose the money they paid as it's payment up front). No other sport is required to do this. I mean could you imagine a toll booth at every entry/exit point on our national forests? How many would continue to use it, and as has been the case in the past, how many others pursuing other sporting activities would puff out their chest and demand that their "right" to access be acknowledged if they had to pay even a small percentage of what people hunting deer have to?
    thanks for the info all the same, it's interesting to find out about this, as I never heard of it before, good luck with the season in that case.
    Glad to help and glad you looked in.

Thanks.

Cass wrote: »
    Absolutely, and no offence taken.

I'm by no means trying to do "oneupmanship" here, but any hunter/stalker on Coilte land has bidded for and paid (at times) large amounts of money to hunt on those lands, and that does not include the courses and tests they must pass prior to being allowed to shoot (if they fail these tests they loose the money they paid as it's payment up front). No other sport is required to do this. I mean could you imagine a toll booth at every entry/exit point on our national forests? How many would continue to use it, and as has been the case in the past, how many others pursuing other sporting activities would puff out their chest and demand that their "right" to access be acknowledged if they had to pay even a small percentage of what people hunting deer have to?

Just on this, I'm not sure how much hunters must pay, and I would say it is probably more than most everyone else, but I know of MTB clubs that pay to use Coillte lands as well, then must also pay to use those lands for competitions, those clubs in question do a lot to maintain their access including leaving no trace of activity, apart from the trails that may have been built, even if this includes cleaning up after others. Like I said, mutual appreciation for what others do to be allowed use these lands helps everyone.

Like I said I appreciate the information, always great to hear another side of something I'm ignorant about, I'll not derail the thread no longer! (After all, ye have the guns! :pac:)

• Advertisement

Just on this, I'm not sure how much hunters must pay, and I would say it is probably more than most everyone else,
    I don't shoot Coilte lands, but from what i've seen and been told over the years it can range from hundreds (€600+) to thousands (€3,000+) per lease.
    those clubs in question do a lot to maintain their access including leaving no trace of activity, apart from the trails that may have been built, even if this includes cleaning up after others.
    If a hunter is worth his/her salt you'll never know they were even there. :D

If a hunter is worth his/her salt you'll never know they were even there. :D

I wasn't saying hunters were leaving a mess behind, but I get your point!

I know you weren't. I was just joking.

If it's sign posted for hunting then the wood is out of bounds between the hours of first light and 11.00am.
    I suggest you browse the Colite web site for all activities that are allowed and those that are not. As a mountain biker it may surprise you to learn that most Colite woods prohibits cycling.

A link to the bye-laws:

http://www.coillte.ie/aboutcoillte/recreation/bye_laws/

If it's sign posted for hunting then the wood is out of bounds between the hours of first light and 11.00am.
    I suggest you browse the Colite web site for all activities that are allowed and those that are not. As a mountain biker it may surprise you to learn that most Colite woods prohibits cycling.

A link to the bye-laws:

http://www.coillte.ie/aboutcoillte/recreation/bye_laws/

I'm quite aware of the limits regarding cycling on Coillte lands, what I didn't know was the details regarding hunting.

I'm quite aware of the limits regarding cycling on Coillte lands, what I didn't know was the details regarding hunting.

For your information and that of other interested boards members the following is a link to all hunting activities that takes place on Coillte lands:

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/licencepermit/licensed-hunting/types-of-licences-available/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Rizzodun, nice to see the odd non hunter knockin here and asking some intelligent questions to form a bit of an informed idea on what's going on. The non hunters knockin in here doing that are far and few between so a far as I'm concerned a big welcome and fair play to you.

Rizzodun, nice to see the odd non hunter knockin here and asking some intelligent questions to form a bit of an informed idea on what's going on. The non hunters knockin in here doing that are far and few between so a far as I'm concerned a big welcome and fair play to you.

Thanks Stevie, I have no interest in hunting personally, the closest I get is shooting some arrows in my back garden (yes, I know you can't bow hunt in Irl) but it does help understand what hunters get up to, especially regarding deer, which I never knew could be hunted, and gives me a better understanding of the hobby/sport should I ever meet any of ye out.

'There is no such thing as a stupid question' is helpful here, and thanks again to Cass for taking the time to explain.

Still no word. Might shoot off an e-mail just to make sure things are okay.

• Advertisement

A lot of lads haven't got them yet. I wonder is the backlog due to staff numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

I've mine gone in since April and been approved so I could pick up the new rifle but still haven't received the licence. Thought it would have been here by now.

I've mine gone in since April and been approved so I could pick up the new rifle but still haven't received the licence. Thought it would have been here by now.

I know a lad in the exact same boat. No sign of mine yet either.

Going to miss the 1st week of the season with work anyway but rather have all the paperwork sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Ring them and they will send you an official letter to say your approved by email, i had to use this a couple of years ago to push on my .243 license for a range test.I was in with them a month ago they have over 4000 applications to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

It finally came in the post today. I had planned on ringing them today if it didn't show up.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Two licenses (Father and i) arrived this morning. Cutting it close, but it arrived none the less.

• Advertisement

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Two licenses (Father and i) arrived this morning. Cutting it close, but it arrived none the less.

Fingers crossed it's at home this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭hawlk

Mine arrived yesterday .Happy days ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Rang today to see wazzup.In the post and should be out next week.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Still noting for me.

was away for a few days got home this evening and it was sitting waiting for me

• Advertisement

Any fear that some lads won't have their license by the time the season starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RKMG

Was only able to apply for my license on the 20th Aug and was told they were still processing licenses received on the 9th July. They did say that should reduce over the next couple of weeks but not looking likely for the 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Just submitted mine by email this afternoon and got a reply back within 30 minutes stating that they are currently processing applications received on 14th August so not too much of a backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RKMG

viper123 wrote: »
    Just submitted mine by email this afternoon and got a reply back within 30 minutes stating that they are currently processing applications received on 14th August so not too much of a backlog.

Oh that's brilliant, I assumed the backlog would start to speed up but didn't think it would be that quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

viper123 wrote: »

I was onto them this mornin and they told me they are processing the 13th July today. Are you sure they said august.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

Hi *******.

We are working on a large backlog due to the late submission of renewal applications. We are currently processing applications received on the 13th July. Applications are being dealt with strictly in the order in which they were received.

Regards

George Kitteringham,
    Wildlife Licensing Unit,
    Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht,
    7 Ely Place,
    Dublin 2
    D02 TW98
    t: (01) 888 3289
    e: george.kitteringham@ahg.gov.ie

visit us at www.npws.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I was onto them this mornin and they told me they are processing the 13th July today. Are you sure they said august.

I wish to acknowledge receipt of your recent Deer Hunting application. Please note that we process applications in the order of the date that they are received and are currently processing applications received on the 14th of August. Your application will be processed in due course.

Kind Regards,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

All this sending back ones with missing date and info and checking every single folio no must be really slowing down the process.

Cant see how it can take that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spaniel heaven

Rang again today, they are still on the 14th of july, was told last week id have it for the 1st,no hope now, v v annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

I sent in mine in May and I still haven't received it, phoned them today and they said it had been approved and I'd have it before the week was out. Can't understand how it could take this long to get the bloody thing sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement