Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭leopard trek

Pretty sure you can't calculate the score at all, they don't weigh the points for each question until all of the papers have been correct. Almost certain anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

A bit late to the party this year but after a semester of medicine in a certain college, i'm redoing the HPAT again to try to get my number one choice. I honestly feel slightly crazy for doing it. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

woopah92 wrote: »
    A bit late to the party this year but after a semester of medicine in a certain college, i'm redoing the HPAT again to try to get my number one choice. I honestly feel slightly crazy for doing it. :L[/QUOTE

How'd you find Medicine? :eek:

A bit late to the party this year but after a semester of medicine in a certain college, i'm redoing the HPAT again to try to get my number one choice. I honestly feel slightly crazy for doing it. :L[/QUOTE

How'd you find Medicine? :eek:

Some parts, I absolutely love. Other parts, I love even more. I just am not a fan of my current college I'm in with regards to hospital placements and the social parts too. :pac:

Some parts, I absolutely love. Other parts, I love even more. I just am not a fan of my current college I'm in with regards to hospital placements and the social parts too. :pac:

I'm sorry to hear that, but no doubt you'll be happier elsewhere?. Fair dudes to you getting into medicine initially though. I'm only in 5th year but it's been my ambition to study medicine for years. School is kinda tough at the moment for numerous reasons but I'm hoping I'll pull through and get it next year!! Good luck with everything!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 CorkonianAnon

In general, what would be considered an 'average' result and a 'good' result for each section? Like what should the aim mark be in each section for the ACER Practice Tests or anyone doing any other sorts of prep papers? It would be great to hear from anyone who is currently doing medicine . . . What were you getting in each section in the practice papers? And what percentile did you get in the actual thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

In general, what would be considered an 'average' result and a 'good' result for each section? Like what should the aim mark be in each section for the ACER Practice Tests or anyone doing any other sorts of prep papers? It would be great to hear from anyone who is currently doing medicine . . . What were you getting in each section in the practice papers? And what percentile did you get in the actual thing?

You can't really tell what an average result is on it's own - hence why percentiles are so necessary :)

Anyway, average is no good. In 2014 there was 500 less applicants than 2013, so with 625 you could get a spot in NUIG with maybe 68th percentile. That's the bare minimum. A friend got 95th and missed out due to not getting enough points, and there are people who got high 500s doing dentistry as their HPAT didn't break the 70th percentile.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 iamtheonewho

Hi all,
    I've completed my leaving cert last year, got 545 points.
    I was hoping to get into medicine but didn't get in due to a low HPAT score, this year I'm trying again.. I know that realistically I don't have much points for medicine, and I'm average at best at the HPAT even with practice that I'm putting in...
    The thing is, I'd really love to be working in a hospital background and have the ability to help people, also I really like science so I'd love to study something that would lead me to a profession which would combine these things.
    I have no idea what else to put on my CAO after medicine, I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hi all,
    I was hoping to get into medicine but didn't get in due to a low HPAT score, this year I'm trying again.. I know that realistically I don't have much points for medicine, and I'm average at best at the HPAT even with practice that I'm putting in...
    The thing is, I'd really love to be working in a hospital background and have the ability to help people, also I really like science so I'd love to study something that would lead me to a profession which would combine these things.
    I have no idea what else to put on my CAO after medicine, I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Nursing.
    Radiography.
    Physiotherapy.
    Social work.
    etc.

Hi all,

Would you consider studying medicine in Europe?. A lot of these courses have considerably lower entry requirements ( with some having entrance tests). I don't know whether your circumstances would permit it obviously but it's something to keep in mind if you're open minded/self sufficient if you're adamant you want to study Medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

Why not course like Bio-Medical Science courses

You complete this course, get a 2:1 or better and then apply for Graduate medicine courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

What scores are people generally getting in sections 1,2 and 3 and how many practice exams have you completed so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AngloIrishMan

Are the official Acer practice tests truly representative of the difficulty of the actual HPAT exam?

What scores are people generally getting in sections 1,2 and 3 and how many practice exams have you completed so far?

I took one of the Acer practice tests and got 82% in Section 1, 97% in Section 2, 83% in Section 3.
    How are other people faring?
    Surely the actual exam is more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

I took one of the Acer practice tests and got 82% in Section 1, 97% in Section 2, 83% in Section 3.
    How are other people faring?
    Surely the actual exam is more difficult.

Jesus those a pretty sweet results. I got roughly the same as you in sect 1 and 3 but only 30/36 in section 2 with no previous study. Im pretty sure it's much more difficult. The ******** tests are quite challenging but, more importantly, much more difficult than those practice tests.Have you done much study thus far?

Jesus those a pretty sweet results. I got roughly the same as you in sect 1 and 3 but only 30/36 in section 2 with no previous study. Im pretty sure it's much more difficult. The ******** tests are quite challenging but, more importantly, much more difficult than those practice tests.Have you done much study thus far?

I started studying just last week as I only recently came to the conclusion that I actually wanted to do medicine.
    It's strange the way the word Med. Entry is hidden when you type it in on boards. It must be Acer trying to prevent the promotion of unofficial sample tests.

An appeal to all applicants to medicine who live in the western half of the country.

Could you please not put down one of the Dublin institutions as your first choice for medicine.
    I am speaking for all of us who actually live near Dublin. We don't want to be forced to migrate to Galway or Cork because we didn't get enough points for TCD but did for NUIG. You're simply raising the points for the Dublin colleges and forcing others out.

Are the official Acer practice tests truly representative of the difficulty of the actual HPAT exam?

As someone who has plenty of experience with the HPAT, not even slightly close. The real exam is much harder, the ACER is more for just showing the types of questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Consonata

An appeal to all applicants to medicine who live in the western half of the country.

Could you please not put down one of the Dublin institutions as your first choice for medicine.
    I am speaking for all of us who actually live near Dublin. We don't want to be forced to migrate to Galway or Cork because we didn't get enough points for TCD but did for NUIG. You're simply raising the points for the Dublin colleges and forcing others out.

Speaking as a Donegal person, I see no reason why I shouldn't apply for a Dublin school if I prefer said school. The Open Day for RCSI was fantastic and I'll definitely be thinking about putting it down on my CAO along with trinity because I liked the general vibe of the place. It's not that I dislike Galway or any of the others, it's that I prefer Trinity.

If you want to get into a Dublin medical school, sit down and work out it. There are people out there who don't have the liberty to pick and choose what medical school they go to but if you want to have said liberty, work at it, like everyone else has to do East or West. Do well in your leaving cert, prepare yourself for college. It's not the duty of people from the west of Ireland to cater to Dubliners interests. If they want to go to Dublin for college, they have that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭CookieCat97

Consonata wrote: »
    Speaking as a Donegal person, I see no reason why I shouldn't apply for a Dublin school if I prefer said school. The Open Day for RCSI was fantastic and I'll definitely be thinking about putting it down on my CAO along with trinity because I liked the general vibe of the place. It's not that I dislike Galway or any of the others, it's that I prefer Trinity.

If you want to get into a Dublin medical school, sit down and work out it. There are people out there who don't have the liberty to pick and choose what medical school they go to but if you want to have said liberty, work at it, like everyone else has to do East or West. Do well in your leaving cert, prepare yourself for college. It's not the duty of people from the west of Ireland to cater to Dubliners interests. If they want to go to Dublin for college, they have that right.

Amen! :cool:

• Advertisement

As someone who has plenty of experience with the HPAT, not even slightly close. The real exam is much harder, the ACER is more for just showing the types of questions asked.

So if I am averaging about 85% in the Acer practice tests, what approximate HPAT score do you think this would correspond with?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Just so you know, I did the acer exams and did well but apparently they are alot easier than the actual exam. I have other exams from a prep school and they are definitely another step up in terms of difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 taara

I see where you are coming from. I am from Galway and medicine is what Ive wanted to do since I was 4 or 5. It is my dream. The NUIG course is good but personally I preferred the UCD course. Not just because I want to move away from home or anything but because the course itself is more suited to what I want. I have applied to all 5 courses with UCD first, followed by NUIG. Like yourself, I dont want to be forced to move to Cork but if I get the course I will move. I don't think that it is very fair of you to ask us to stay in the west just because we live here. The courses in Dublin tend to be better so of course we are going to aim for them above Galway or Cork.
    Good luck with the HPAT and Leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

taara wrote: »
    I see where you are coming from. I am from Galway and medicine is what Ive wanted to do since I was 4 or 5. It is my dream. The NUIG course is good but personally I preferred the UCD course. Not just because I want to move away from home or anything but because the course itself is more suited to what I want. I have applied to all 5 courses with UCD first, followed by NUIG. Like yourself, I dont want to be forced to move to Cork but if I get the course I will move. I don't think that it is very fair of you to ask us to stay in the west just because we live here. The courses in Dublin tend to be better so of course we are going to aim for them above Galway or Cork.
    Good luck with the HPAT and Leaving!

What is about the UCD course that you prefer? And what makes you think the courses in Dublin would be better? Genuinely curious here, I guess it could be argued that the hospitals you end up in placement on could have better facilities but anything other than that? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

Hi all, yet another Med hopeful.

Seeing as it's a topic of interest.. I am preparing with M. E. and am completing the practice exams. I have no idea how it is marked, so I am calculating my 'score' as follows:

(Section 1 % [x/44 x 100] x 120) + (Section 2 % [x/36 x 100] x 120) + (Section 3 % [x/30 x 100] x 60)

Is anybody else doing similar? I know the real thing is a lot harder, but will this be at all indicative of what I could get? (Assuming things go relatively smoothly on the day). I'd just like to know if I stand a chance, I don't want to get my hopes up.

For example, using that formula, I got a score of 182 on the M. E. practice exam I took this morning. Can any Med student tell me if the M. E. practice exams are significantly easier than the real thing? I'm just worried these practice exams are actually made to be a lot easier than the actual HPAT ....

I'd be interested to hear anybody else's experiences with regards to practice exam scores.
    Obviously, how you fare on the day is what it all comes down to.

Thanks guys! Hope things aren't too awful with mocks and HPAT looming!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

I've been doing the ME practise* exams too and been getting somewhere between 170-190 so yeah I'm wondering the same as above.

Also, what would you guys predict the points for medicine to be come August 2015? I know they decreased last year but I doubt they'll decrease again so I'm aiming for a 735 to be on the good side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

I've been doing the ME racist exams too and been getting somewhere between 170-190 so yeah I'm wondering the same as above.

Also, what would you guys predict the points for medicine to be come August 2015? I know they decreased last year but I doubt they'll decrease again so I'm aiming for a 735 to be on the good side of things.

Let's just hope it means we're both on the right track!

I'm predicting that there'll be a points rise, though hopefully not. I think this because, apparently, a lot of people took Medicine off their CAOs after receiving their HPAT results. Though as we know, overall HPAT results dropped last year due to the new marking system. I think this year people will leave it on regardless. I predict UCD will over take Trinners as the most in demand. 735 should keep you safe! Hoping for about that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

Hey i've just started medicine in trinity and after spending a year on here i thought i'd share a bit of what it is like so far.

1. It's hard work. I know this is obvious but it is. I didn't take leaving cert chemistry (it's not a requirement ) and I regret it a lot. I took physics and biology instead. The biochemistry lectures are tough, people with A1's in higher leaving cert are finding it hard. People with A levels aren't having a walk in the park either. I would 100% recommend doing chemistry, I was mad not to. If you aren't doing it there is a pre chemistry course the week before freshers which would be essential. I didn't go because i didn't hear about it :( To be honest the only reason i'm keeping my head above water is LC home economics!

2. The HPAT is ten times more important than the leaving, every person that i've spoken to that got medicine first time round straight from the leaving (about 50\183 people i think) ignored their mocks and did an unreal amount of HPAT prep. It is the only way to go. There are people in Trinity medicine with 520 - 545 LC points who did amazing HPAT's (95th percentile and over)

3. never take medicine off your CAO. NEVER never ever!! points fluctuate. there are people with enough points for TCD who took it off their CAO's cause they taught they wouldn't get it, its crazy. HPAT will fluctuate massively in the years to come.

4. the ratio of guys to girls has changed dramatically. It used to be 70 percent girls i think, now in 1st med it's about 40%. I think that's the effect of the HPAT. it is quite strange, i was resigned to a majority of girls when it is quite different.

5. Age. There average age is like 20, for irish people maybe 19. Don’t be put off by repeating there are loads of 20’s and even some 30’s undergrads.

6. Stay in trinity halls – its class. People not here miss out. Make the effort with your personal statement. You will spend a year regretting it if you assume you will get in cause you are living 300 miles away. It’s Trinity – they want accomplished, interesting people.

7. The Acer practice test’s don’t even vaguely resemble the difficulty of the actual exam. I don’t mean to discourage anyone, but there is a marked difference. Acer have way fewer really tricky questions than the HPAT – there will be some easy ones – just not enough to bother mentioning! On the other hand, lots of the prep courses are more difficult than the actual exam (which is exactly what you need). I did Med Entry. I don’t want to promote any course and if you look at my previous posts ive never mentioned any course by name before. It’s just that I found the extra questions invaluable. To be fair, it goes totally against the premise of the test that you can improve so much by practicing but it’s undeniably true. I know there are ridiculously expensive but so is repeating and doing a post grad!

8. Be sure you actually want to be studying until you are at least 30( to be a GP), probably 40 years old (to be a consultant). It takes a lot from your life. There are sooo many other occupations that allow you to work with people to help them get better.
    Dieticians work in hospitals with people who have diseases like CF and people recovering from surgery. They work as part of a team to treat the patient. But they have regular hours, no nights and no weekends.
    Pharmacists also can work in hospitals (especially in the UK and go on rounds with doctors).

9. In trinity we study 3 subjects. Physiology (cells, tissues, systems, organs, organ systems)
    Anatomy and Biochemistry. We have lectures 3 days a week.
    3 phy lecturea, 3 biochem, 2 anatomy and one Human development, behavioural science and ethics lecture (HDBSE).
    We have physiology labs, biochemistry labs, dissections and HDBSE tutorials.
    We also have 4 hours of Problem Based Learning a week. In groups of about 10 we read about a case and chat about it. We all make learning goals and come back the next time and have learned about the conditions or issued raised in the case study. average 20 - 30 hours per week but usually 23-24.

Best of luck and of course PM any question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Username6212

Hey i've just started medicine in trinity and after spending a year on here i thought i'd share a bit of what it is like so far.

1. It's hard work. I know this is obvious but it is. I didn't take leaving cert chemistry (it's not a requirement ) and I regret it a lot. I took physics and biology instead. The biochemistry lectures are tough, people with A1's in higher leaving cert are finding it hard. People with A levels aren't having a walk in the park either. I would 100% recommend doing chemistry, I was mad not to. If you aren't doing it there is a pre chemistry course the week before freshers which would be essential. I didn't go because i didn't hear about it :( To be honest the only reason i'm keeping my head above water is LC home economics!

2. The HPAT is ten times more important than the leaving, every person that i've spoken to that got medicine first time round straight from the leaving (about 50\183 people i think) ignored their mocks and did an unreal amount of HPAT prep. It is the only way to go. There are people in Trinity medicine with 520 - 545 LC points who did amazing HPAT's (95th percentile and over)

3. never take medicine off your CAO. NEVER never ever!! points fluctuate. there are people with enough points for TCD who took it off their CAO's cause they taught they wouldn't get it, its crazy. HPAT will fluctuate massively in the years to come.

4. the ratio of guys to girls has changed dramatically. It used to be 70 percent girls i think, now in 1st med it's about 40%. I think that's the effect of the HPAT. it is quite strange, i was resigned to a majority of girls when it is quite different.

5. Age. There average age is like 20, for irish people maybe 19. Don’t be put off by repeating there are loads of 20’s and even some 30’s undergrads.

6. Stay in trinity halls – its class. People not here miss out. Make the effort with your personal statement. You will spend a year regretting it if you assume you will get in cause you are living 300 miles away. It’s Trinity – they want accomplished, interesting people.

7. The Acer practice test’s don’t even vaguely resemble the difficulty of the actual exam. I don’t mean to discourage anyone, but there is a marked difference. Acer have way fewer really tricky questions than the HPAT – there will be some easy ones – just not enough to bother mentioning! On the other hand, lots of the prep courses are more difficult than the actual exam (which is exactly what you need). I did Med Entry. I don’t want to promote any course and if you look at my previous posts ive never mentioned any course by name before. It’s just that I found the extra questions invaluable. To be fair, it goes totally against the premise of the test that you can improve so much by practicing but it’s undeniably true. I know there are ridiculously expensive but so is repeating and doing a post grad!

8. Be sure you actually want to be studying until you are at least 30( to be a GP), probably 40 years old (to be a consultant). It takes a lot from your life. There are sooo many other occupations that allow you to work with people to help them get better.
    Dieticians work in hospitals with people who have diseases like CF and people recovering from surgery. They work as part of a team to treat the patient. But they have regular hours, no nights and no weekends.
    Pharmacists also can work in hospitals (especially in the UK and go on rounds with doctors).

9. In trinity we study 3 subjects. Physiology (cells, tissues, systems, organs, organ systems)
    Anatomy and Biochemistry. We have lectures 3 days a week.
    3 phy lecturea, 3 biochem, 2 anatomy and one Human development, behavioural science and ethics lecture (HDBSE).
    We have physiology labs, biochemistry labs, dissections and HDBSE tutorials.
    We also have 4 hours of Problem Based Learning a week. In groups of about 10 we read about a case and chat about it. We all make learning goals and come back the next time and have learned about the conditions or issued raised in the case study. average 20 - 30 hours per week but usually 23-24.

Best of luck and of course PM any question :)

Average LC points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

My LC points were 590 - i'd say these are average (a bit below maybe) Of course aim for 625, put really only push yourself after the HPAT. because the real difference between 550 and 625 is only 15 points when it's all squashed down there is No point killing yourself for that A1 when you are neglecting the HPAT.
    Seriously tho - if any of ye have the mocks the 2-3 weeks before the HPAT and ye do any serious amount of study ye are fools. I got something like 450 in the mocks - everyday I did basically nothing but HPAT prep the night before the mocks. your teachers may freak a little tho! it's nearly a good thing to happen, with lowe LC points than you need you are more likely to push yourself once the HPAT is over.
    Hi there,

Med Entry percentiles fluctuate so much. In section one I got between 100 percentile in the first test to 60 or so in latter ones. In section 2 I was a wee bit more consistent I was around 80 percentile alot of the time. Section 3 was by far always my worst. I got the dreaded 0-20 bracket sometimes. In the HPAT course day exam I got 80, 80, 20. In the HPAT I got 72, 70, 58 (201, 99th percentile)
    TBH, I know everyone wants to constantly know would that test have gotten them in - but it is way more important to do the tests under timed conditions - and then review every single answer until you understand it absolutely. Message them if you don't understand a conclusion they came to. It possible you will see the ME practice Q's on the real exam! It happened for me. In section 1 12 or so out of the 40 q's i had seen before or seen something very similar which used the same premise. ( there were all given at the 2 day practice course). It's wrong and sickening but it's true.
    One of the most important things about ME to remember is because so few people actually do all the tests - your percentiles will drop as you do more and more. you will be comparing yourself against the people who have done the tests - these are likely to be the best students!
    In my year there were little to no maths questions - but learn prob and stats principles ( the ones in LC book).

I think it is really important to finish every question. I did, and you really should make every effort to. nothing suggests all q's are worth the same amount so leaving ones out it a bit of a shame - work on your timing. bring a digital watch with a timer and a normal watch (incase they throw a hissy fit about the digital one) move on if you are over time.

'Do you find that the Trinity Med curriculum presents a balanced approach to learning about the art and science of medicine? At the moment it's my first choice as, from what I've looked into, it strives to educate students on the social/psychological/philosophical aspects of Med, too. Is this true? I have a huge interest in psychology (I'd like to perhaps specialise in Psychiatry) so want to choose the course that would touch on aspects of it.'

As i said before, in first year we have 1 lecture a week that focus's on behavioural science. we also have 3 hours of tutorials of BS and ethics a week where we get to discuss the social/psychological/philosophical. Also there is the Student selected module we select one of
    Advocacy
    Arts and Health
    Death and Dignity
    Drama and Medicine
    Health and Equality
    History of Medicine
    Literature and Medicine
    Medicine and Power
    Music and Medicine
    Perception in Medicine and Art
    Philosophy
    Social History of Medicine
    Touch
    and have it 3 hours a week for 6 weeks.
    If you are thinking about deferring there is very little i would say to dissuade you. The LC is tough, first med is tougher. If i was to go back I would take a gap year - go work with the Tibetan monks, work as a chalet girl (one of my friends actually did this!) or go on an adventure. Broaden your horizons, be free for a year! you have 10+ years of study ahead of you :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement