Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God Save the Queen & Croke Park

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Jesus. wrote: »
    Quality explanation there Snickers. Much appreciated.

Can't believe that guy used the term "British Isles and Ireland". What exactly was he trying to communicate? Or was he just exceptionally dumb?
    What do you mean? Not everyone acknowledges the 'British Isles'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Read it again.

What does the "British Isles and Ireland" mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

or the 'Irish Sea'....:rolleyes:

or the 'Irish Sea'....:rolleyes:
    Not the same at all, I've never seen it suggested by anyone that there is a political motivation behind the Irish Sea, except for a bit of whatabouttery on British Isles discussions

Not the same at all, I've never seen it suggested by anyone that there is a political motivation behind the Irish Sea, except for a bit of whatabouttery on British Isles discussions

That's probably because most British people don't obsess about Ireland the way a lot of Irish people do about things British and Britain.

• Advertisement

That's probably because most British people don't obsess about Ireland the way a lot of Irish people do about things British and Britain.
    No I'd say it's because it wouldn't make any sense. Even ignoring the historical argument of where the phrase 'British Isles' comes from and how it was revived and used, since that's a bit ambiguous, most definitions of the British Isles make a political distinction at the Channel Isles which robs it of any geographical legitimacy for me.

Riff, could you please explain why you asked me that question?

Riff, could you please explain why you asked me that question?

Because I didn't get what you meant by your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Read it again.

What does the "British Isles and Ireland" mean?
    Be honest. Is it not obvious what it means?

"British isles" is a controversial and, in some contexts, ambiguous term. In English law - and this is possibly what motivated Reason's choice of words - the term "British islands" refers to the UK, Guernsey, Jersey and Man - in short, the territories in this corner of the globe which are dependent on the British crown. "British army", "British government", "British ambassador", "British citizen" and similar terms mean that there is an established usage of the term "British" to mean "pertaining to or connected with the UK". There is, in fact, no other adjective with this meaning. Given this, a term like "British isles" is certainly capable of being either ambiguous or offensive, and Reason wished to avoid ambiguity or offence, which seems commendable in a journalist. It's hardly "exceptionally dumb".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Most 'Style' book have it as the following.

British Isles
    A geographical term taken to mean Great Britain, Ireland and some or all of the adjacent islands such as Orkney, Shetland and the Isle of Man. The phrase is best avoided, given its (understandable) unpopularity in the Irish Republic. Alternatives adopted by some publications are British and Irish Isles or simply Britain and Ireland

British and Irish Lions
    (rugby union); not "British Lions"

Personally I view people who get their knickers in a twist over this issue as (a) having far too much time or (b) having a petty political agenda. They would be better served going for a walk along the Irish Sea.

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Be honest. Is it not obvious what it means?

Honestly no. I've never heard anyone use that term before. To me it makes no sense (unless in the way you've described regarding the little islands around Britain) and he should either have used British Isles or Britain and Ireland. The British Isles and Ireland is akin to saying Britain and Ireland.....and Ireland!

Most 'Style' book have it as the following.

British Isles
    A geographical term taken to mean Great Britain, Ireland and some or all of the adjacent islands such as Orkney, Shetland and the Isle of Man. The phrase is best avoided, given its (understandable) unpopularity in the Irish Republic. Alternatives adopted by some publications are British and Irish Isles or simply Britain and Ireland

British and Irish Lions
    (rugby union); not "British Lions"

Personally I view people who get their knickers in a twist over this issue as (a) having far too much time or (b) having a petty political agenda. They would be better served going for a walk under the Irish Sea.

FYP :D

Better still they could post this type of thread in AH - it only brings out the worst in some of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

From a moderation point of view >>>WOW

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement