Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

8.1 miles @ 9:20ish pace. I had intended going for 10 today but the canal path seemed to stop just after 4 miles so I turned around and came back. Legs very stiff to begin with, especially the right ankle but it all settled down after a mile. I'd be lying if I said I felt strong today though. I'll definately be taking tomorrow off and having a step back week this week (50 miles max).

WTD 6 days running 64.1 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|10/13|102.5
    Total|62/73|603.8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Savage running, that's unbelievable endurance. Enjoy the.. eh.. rest .. next week

Took yesterday as a rest day and the legs felt like new today. I was itching to get out for a run all day in work and had planned to meet Aimman for a few laps of Tymon straight after work. I changed into my running gear and realised I had forgot my runners :o. Had to drive home in my running gear and work shoes to get them but it was too late to go to Tymon so I had to settle for a run round Parkwest/clondalkin/lucan.

6.3 miles @8:30 pace. Legs felt great. I wore an old pair of pegasus for the first time in over a year. I figure I can save the mileage on the Lunarglides by using the several pairs of pegasus I have in storeage for my shorter runs. I don't really need the extra support for anything less than 10 miles anyway...

WTD 1 day running 6.3 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|11/15|116.9
    Total|63/75|611.1

hey dude, whats the story with lunarglides, almost bought a pair today. Are they a support shoe? Can you use them for training or just for racing. You referred to mileage there, can they only take a certain amount of mileage.

These ones were called "flywire" and were red and black, €100 in lifestyle

hey dude, whats the story with lunarglides, almost bought a pair today. Are they a support shoe? Can you use them for training or just for racing. You referred to mileage there, can they only take a certain amount of mileage.

These ones were called "flywire" and were red and black, €100 in lifestyle

Lunarglides are technically a neutral shoe but they offer a good deal more support than a standard neutral shoe. I was moved to them from pegasus after I was picking up a few ankle injuries about 13 months ago. While I have a neutral gait, that gets a bit sloppy when I am doing a high mileage run (tiredness) and I start to pronate a bit.

The Lunarglide marketing spiel is 'dynamic support' i.e. the shoe adapts to the amount of support you need. The flywire is part of their support I gather, it's what the upper is made from. As for colour- they come in loads of different colours, most are pretty cool. I haven't seen the red and black ones and if I had, I would probably have had to buy a pair :p. I got my most recent ones (lunarglide 2's) off sub4.ie for €80, but hey were selling the older version (basically the same shoe) a while ago for as little as €50 in some sales.

Despite the 'dynamic support' thing, if you're a pronator and need a support they probably wouldn't give you enough support. What do you normally wear? I know RK has a pair of Lunarglides but normally wears a support shoe but she would only use the lunarglides for short runs....

The Mileage thing, I just mean I generally get about 600 miles out of any trainer. I would generally use lunarglides for all training and long races, they are pretty much a standard trainer weight (maybe a bit lighter than most support shoes? )
    I have a pair of lunar racers (which are basically a racing flat and only weigh a few ounces) which I would wear for races up to HM distance but they offer absolutely no support and feel like a slipper, so it would be dangerous to wear those too much in training.

• Advertisement

Great! Thanks for all the information. I presently wear brooks gts 10. They are a very supportive shoe so maybe the lunar glides might not be the best for me.

The next gen gts 11 is out now but I'm looking at other shoes before I commit. Not a fan of asics gt series, any other suggestions? I remember you had a snazzy pair of asics in cork last year, nice and light? What were they, do you still wear them?

Maybe I should ask on the gear forum.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

OI - try the Mizuno Wave Inspire or Nirvana. I wore the Adrenaline GTS 10 for DCM last year, but never really liked the shoe. Am now on my 2nd pair of Wave Inspires and love them.

The next gen gts 11 is out now but I'm looking at other shoes before I commit. Not a fan of asics gt series, any other suggestions? I remember you had a snazzy pair of asics in cork last year, nice and light? What were they, do you still wear them?

They were Asics DS Trainers. They have a fair bit of support (something like the 1150s) and are nice and light with a low heel. Might suit you for race/speed training.

I'd only wear them on the track now because I don't like the feel of the asics sole on hard ground (too rigid) but since the track is bouncy and soft they work fine there.

OI - try the Mizuno Wave Inspire or Nirvana. I wore the Adrenaline GTS 10 for DCM last year, but never really liked the shoe. Am now on my 2nd pair of Wave Inspires and love them.

Nice one rk, might just do that, also was looking at the lunar eclipse, looks like a nice show. Where did you get your mizunos rk?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pair 1 - Runways (€115)
    Pair 2 - http://sweatshop.co.uk/ (£65)
    Pair 3 (still new in the box at home) - http://www.upandrunning.co.uk/ (£55)

Used various Christmas sales to get the second and third pairs.

• Advertisement

Decided to try a little bit of speed in tonights run just to see where I'm at. I'm guessing I haven't done any speed sessions in over 2 months, so I intend bringing this element back into my runs in the taper before connemara and beyond.

Tonights run went:
    1 mile warm up (8:33), 2 miles fast tempo (6:34, 6:39), 1.25 miles recovery (8:25ish pace) 1 mile fast (6:25) 0.75 miles cool down (8:35 pace)

Total: 6 miles in 7:30 av pace

I found the 2 mile tempo quite comfortable cardiovascularly but I had to stretch the clafs after it. I tried to push on for the last fast mile and couldn't get the pace down any faster than 6:25 pace. Unusually for me it wasn't the lungs that stopped me (the breathing was quite comfortable) I just couldn't get the legs to turn any faster, they seemed to tense up when I tried to push on. I had hoped to do the last mile close to 6 minutes and said that if I did that, i'd maybe try the 5k on sunday.

Conclusions: It's quite obvious that I need some faster speedwork before doing myself justice in a 5k race so I'll probably wait for the donore 5k race in May.
    I am more confident for the 10 miler in mallow though. I should be able to hold a sub 7 pace over 10 miles without too much difficulty.

WTD 2 days running 12.3 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|12/16|123.2
    Total|64/76|617.4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Should be crossing the line in Mallow about the same time as you again, cant even get away from ye in the 1000 mile, think I'll just give up :P

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Should be crossing the line in Mallow about the same time as you again, cant even get away from ye in the 1000 mile, think I'll just give up :P

I doubt it. I'll be glad to come in around 68:xx, you run that pace as part of your LSR's now :p

This is probably my last really long run before connemara. I met up with Aigster (doing the conn ultra) and Claralara (doing the conn marathon) in the park at 9. We did just over 6 miles before being joined by Mr Slow (maybe doing Cork Marathon :pac:).
    I have to say, today was tough. the legs were screaming at me from about 8 miles, very similar to last week, I just had to ignore them. We all gritted it out anyways, with a few minor dramas, finishing with a final mile up the Kyber. It's pretty much taper time for me now. I have various niggles all over both legs so I am considering going to my physio next week for an MOT.

Summary: 20.6 miles @ 9:50 pace

WTD 3 days running 32.9 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|13/17|143.8
    Total|65/77|638

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I was just thinking, as I rest my poor leggies from the comfort of the couch, when do you think you'll have done enough to satisfy the title of your log? Because I think you're kinda almost there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

claralara wrote: »
    I was just thinking, as I rest my poor leggies from the comfort of the couch, when do you think you'll have done enough to satisfy the title of your log? Because I think you're kinda almost there!!

That happens when he beats me in a race, i guess he's never gonna become a real runner then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

That happens when he beats me in a race, i guess he's never gonna become a real runner then :p
    Haha i was going to post something similar:D
    Nearly has me though ill have to pick my races carefully:D

claralara wrote: »

Thanks, but I guess it's a never ending story. There's always another level. As Oisin11178 would say, one man's ceiling is another man's floor.

I've been a bad boy since my last update in taking the taper celebrations a bit too seriously :o
    Got out this evening for a recovery run and was surprised that the legs felt fine.

6.5 miles @ 8:30. Not sure I'll make 50 miles for the week now.

WTD 4 days running 39.4 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|14/19|150.3
    Total|66/79|644.5

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »
    Not sure I'll make 50 miles for the week now.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Even worse. I did no more this week at all. I got an invite to go golfing this morning so snapped that up instead of going to watch the 5k race in town. Mentally I feel like I am all ran out at the moment. Hopefully this restish week will do me some good.
    On a positive note I shot a PB round Deer Park with 2 birdies and 9 pars in my 18 :pac: Thats off the back of 6 months with no golf and very little before that. Even managed to put backspin on a few balls for the first time since I was about 14.

On a running front, it's hard to hear about everyone's PBs today. Hopefully 50 miles next wek and a nice PB bext sunday in the Mallow 10 miler.

Weekly total 4 days running 39.4 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|14/20|150.3
    Total|66/80|644.5[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Mentally I feel like I am all ran out at the moment.
    A sign of over-training:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

gerard65 wrote: »

He's going around telling everyone what to do too, oh wait that's normal:P

gerard65 wrote: »

Yep unfortunately. When someone put up the thread on the main forum with loads of symptoms, I ticked the box on about 70% of them. Still though I have had a few good nights sleep so looking forward to getting back next week.

Went out for a run after work this evening and felt like I was gonna go a bit faster than normal. Maybe subconsciously I was punishing myself for being so lazy last week :p, but I was also just annoyed at myself for being so one paced of late. I decided to give myself a reason to do a slow recovery type run tomorrow :pac:. The first mile felt tough as usual but was actually the slowest of the day at 7:4x. I decided at this point to keep that pace and call it a MP run (based on my current marathon pace at 7:44) but the pace just got faster after the first mile and I couldn't really slow it.
    In the end, the average pace was about what I need to be doing in Berlin to get sub 3:15 and I was more or less cruising all the way round. Happy with that run.

8.2 miles @7:23/mile

WTD 1 day running 8.2 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|15/21|158.5
    Total|67/81|652.7

How does 68'20 (6'50) pace sound to you for Sunday? Thats about as fast as i want to run in Mallow and i'm happy to pace you at this or a slower pace. it'll give me an idea of whats required for sub 3 in Berlin. We can talk about it beforehand anyway.

How does 68'20 (6'50) pace sound to you for Sunday? Thats about as fast as i want to run in Mallow and i'm happy to pace you at this or a slower pace. it'll give me an idea of whats required for sub 3 in Berlin. We can talk about it beforehand anyway.

Yep, 6'50 pace sounds grand, at least to start with. Can't see myself going any faster than that anyway. Will be happy to go sub 70.

Will be happy to beat that fcker confetti! The time I run is irrelevant

FYP :p

5.3 miles @ 8:53. Finished work really late so glad to get this run in this evening. It means I can have a rest day on Friday or saturday before the race

WTD 2 days running 13.5 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|16/22|163.8
    Total|68/82|658[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

10.4 miles @ 8:24 pace. Decided to take a longer route home from work than normal to get a few extra miles (and hills) in. Nice run, felt very fresh.

WTD 3 days running 23.9 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|17/23|174.2
    Total|69/83|668.4

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement