Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tribes: Ascend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Download it today after watching TB for weeks playing it, jaysus it's great fun.
    username: Craig82

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Download it today after watching TB for weeks playing it, jaysus it's great fun.
    username: Craig82

i play it every day at least for few matches. i had today awesome 2 matches were i just dominated! got like 2k XP, without the "first win of the day" lol. Its like my bolts were landing perfectly, i was shocked my self! :D

the thing is the kills in tribes are very satisfying. when you pull off some which was 1 in 1000, you just go WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Best class???

I'm just using soldier at the moment

Best class???

for me its pathfinder. mobility is a key for me in this game, i can jump circles around heavy guys. best thing try out and see which you like most, as each of them have advantages and weak spots, all classes have their role too in CTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Best class???

Soldier is great in arena, i use tech and pathfinder in ctf games, sometimes raider if i'm going gen killing. Really is whichever floats your boat, every class has a purpose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

playing this a fair bit also :) really only play ctf, as I like playing tech, and infiltrator. Snipe a bit too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Wossack wrote: »
    playing this a fair bit also :) really only play ctf, as I like playing tech, and infiltrator. Snipe a bit too

I can't snipe to save my life. You have to get multiple direct hits to get a kill. Plus I find camping boring. Any particular way to play this class to make it more exciting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

The multiple hits coupled with regenerating health makes it tough alright. Though glad it is really - maps are so open, if there was CS still sniping going on, it'd be an awful game..

Picking off the flag carrier from across the map is particularly satisfying though :)

Jammer is good, dropped/hiden near the generator - it breaks cloak, and makes infiltrators cry :P can have 3x claymores deployed also

damn i love this game. anyone still enjoying it? i am still stuck with path finder as i just love bolt launcher :D got my first 100k xp and bough assault rifle, its a shame it is burst fire :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-16-tribes-ascend-review

EG review seems to be written by the games biggest fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I am so, so bad at this game.

damn, i had a few shots, that made me go: **** YEAH!!!! all out loud :D

satisfaction is unreal when you pull of one of those awesome kills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

My pc couldnt handle this a all , have to till my gaming rig comes :pac:

My pc couldnt handle this a all , have to till my gaming rig comes :pac:

is it really so demanding?! i though it is quite low recourse game.

anyway, i bough coins worth 20£. i got that 30 days boost too, which makes a freaking amazing difference in XP farming! havent spend a single coin, i will keep them and make the best use of that boost! Just by doing "first win of the day" in team deathmatch you get 4k++

need unlocking that stuff ffs :o

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

anyone still enjoying it?
    Most definitely, although the new Capture & Hold mode is a bit crap :\ I've been too impatient to save up for any weapons - I'd like to try the Bolt Launcher in a proper game but I keep spending money on Pathfinder/Soldier upgrades :P

Argh, now I want a game of Raindance CTF - such a lovely map for skiing and inevitable hilarity when I make a bad approach for a flag cap and kill myself by smashing into the flag tower :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I play as Madramoor, mostly as Techie, Raider, Jug, Doomie or Inf

Capture and hold isn't great unless you have a team with a clue, but if you are lucky to have a good squad then it is a great crack.

Every now and again you get a refugee from COD who tries to boss everybody around and gets upset when he is ignored, I particularly enjoyed the genius who was getting upset at a couple of Jugs when we were spamming our own gen room with MIRVS to deal with a plague of infs & Raiders, as he didn't realise that we were not blowing up our own gen!

I was lucky enough to be in from the closed beta so I have all of the classes and most of the weapons unlocked, I think the key is knowing when to change class during the game, most players seem to stick with one class/weapon combo for the duration. A good example is the techies who insist on trying to defend against infs and raiders in the gen room and just get constantly killed, a quick change to raider to light up the infs for everybody else can make the difference or a change to Jug with MIRV can clear out most indoor maps fairly quickly.

A quick raid as a Brute going down in a blaze of fractals can crack open a strong defense for long enough to allow in the rest of the team and tie up half the enemy team.

The right class or combination of classes at the right time makes a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Really enjoying tribes so far. Played a lot as pathfinder just swooping in on flags but iv changed to Jug since no one seems to play that class on ctf. I usually go after turrets and give support to whoever has the flag.
    Still finding my feet with the classes so i haven't spent much on upgrades until i find my best role

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I find that I go through phases of Attack/Defense.
    At the moment I am really enjoying playing support with Techie and figuring out the best placement for turrets along the approach/escape routes from flag grabs. You really need a raider mixed in with every couple of techies to keep the enemy infs under control if the other team is any good.

Doomie with mines is a good option on some of the more open maps, just dropping the mines in the path that a flag grabber takes to avoid your shield or an inf uses to sneak into a gen can give good results. Sometimes you can get lucky with by dropping a mine or two as soon as a someone comes in close to duel and then moving off slightly, the doomie armour is more than enough to allow you to vary your distance from the mines so that the enemy circles into them while your chaingun spins up.

The Jug is much more enjoyable when you unlock the LMG secondary weapon it is great for chopping down pathfinders in a hail of bullets as they try to dance a circle around you just out of shotgun range :-), the MIRV is great for area denial near a flag or gen, a couple of jugs can keep the air sparkling for quite a while!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Finally had a proper go last night. Really impressed with it. Looks and feels great. Really looking forward to hooking up with some boardsies!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can you create clans or groups? Would be handy to automatically get placed into games with other boardsies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I don't think it has Clan support yet, but I'm sure that's the sort of thing they'll want to incorporate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kiith wrote: »
    Can you create clans or groups? Would be handy to automatically get placed into games with other boardsies.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/16/idle-musing-the-joy-of-single-serving-allies/

I was waiting for a chance to link this ;)

Damn I love this game. About 90% of my play time goes on tribes now!

I need to buy one more hdd for recording. Some shots I had pulled off we're dam pure sex!

is anyone here named - irishKARMA? :P

well i guess only my post again :d

for the first time i went in to my profile and i got a bit shocked...

i played 25hours already.And I only started putting some time into to it only lately!

1496 kill
    733 assists

96% played pathfinder :D

btw plasma rifle is a fecking noob tube by cod standartsx10 :mad: .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

New update today, allowing for custom servers.

Only started playing a few days ago (UtherDoul), really enjoying it though.

Oddly enough, found I've mainly been playing Juggernaut and Technician.
    No idea why, in TF2 I was generally a Demoman or Engy.

Oh, hang on ...

I sort of hate that update. Decking plasma guns is a proper dumb arse weapon :(

I still play team death match most. I love the dog fights. Really sick of hitting my face at heavy classes On flag.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ok game, far too many times when its just a huge bunnyhopping spam or should i say ski/rocket jumping spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Dcully wrote: »
    Ok game, far too many times when its just a huge bunnyhopping spam or should i say ski/rocket jumping spam.

... say what ? lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I sort of hate that update. Decking plasma guns is a proper dumb arse weapon :(

I still play team death match most. I love the dog fights. Really sick of hitting my face at heavy classes On flag.

Plasma guns are annoying alright.

Playing around with Infiltrator a bit, it'll be more fun when I stop blowing myself up.

Advertisement