Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolution: A Fairytale For Grown-Ups!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Thanks for your courteous reply. If evolution does not deal with the origin of life question then why does it assume that from inorganic material the most basic lifeforms emerged?

The theory makes no such assumption.
    When you get down to even the most basic of life forms the information required for them to simple exists is astronomical. The simplest of cells are made up of the most mind boggling network of complex intricate parts. The mathematical probability of just one of these parts coming into existence on its own never mind with all the other working parts along with it is in the order of magnitude akin to winning the lottery by finding the winning lottery ticket in the street and then doing this every week for the next 3000 years.

If we're going to go for funny analogies then really it would be more akin to having billions of individuals searching for an unimaginable number of lottery tickets with varying prizes over the course of billions of years with the added caveat that at each generation of successful searchers pass their methods on so that the following generation knows where to look and how. The failures die alone with no kids. This makes the probability of multiple wins much higher.

It's not a great analogy for either abiogenesis or evolution but I didn't pick it.
    I’m not saying that this is not how it happened, I’m just trying to point out that creationists are looked down upon for simply believing that there might be a supernatural (more natural) explanation to it rather than a purely ordinary natural explanation...

Not so. The criticism originates from their attacks on science itself, their attempts to subvert society so that it accepts both world views equally and their simultaneous baffling efforts to be accepted as a science while trying to call the scientific method into question and refusing to adopt testable hypotheses.
    ...which said explanation is still only theoretical in itself anyway.

"It's just a theory", right? To the average lay person "theory" means what scientists call "hypothesis". An initial position we adopt that must be testable. An assumption that must be provable. In science, "theory" means working model. "Theory" in science is what we get when a hypothesis has withstood rigorous testing, when all known observations fit the model. There is no higher status for scientific knowledge than theory.

Morbert wrote: »
    Some friends and I went the first day, and were disappointed that questions weren't allowed 'till the second day.

Were you there the second day? Did anyone ask any good questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

I suggest you view this youtube video which explains why that mathematical probability calculation (which has been wheeled out by creationist before) is completely bogus. After this I suggest you watch the rest of the vidoes in the "Why do people laugh at creationists" series. It explains a whole lot.

Best series ever on creationism. Worth a look-see.

I suggest you view this youtube video which explains why that mathematical probability calculation (which has been wheeled out by creationist before) is completely bogus. After this I suggest you watch the rest of the vidoes in the "Why do people laugh at creationists" series. It explains a whole lot.

Nice video. Mix that with a biologist's view and you have a killer rebuttal to the "combinatorial space" argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Were you there the second day? Did anyone ask any good questions?

I wasn't unfortunately. I don't know how many skeptics were there.

robindch I couldn't tell you who the lead creationist was.

• Advertisement

Morbert wrote: »
    I wasn't unfortunately. I don't know how many skeptics were there.

Given the dogmatic nature of the material, most skeptics seem to have given up on challenging it...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

iUseVi wrote: »
    Best series ever on creationism. Worth a look-see.

i just watched that whole series. Its very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

who is giving the talk?

Advertisement