Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Cooking Disaster Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is this thread to suggest there may be cooking disaster inspired swear words in use across the country? :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My first attempt to use xantham gum when baking was, eh... interesting.... I ended up with pastry dough that was more like industrial glue. My hand, the spoon, the mix and the bowl became one solid unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Another time she cooked a chicken at 260 degrees in the new oven and burnt the ****e out of it, my mother had some job cleaning the oven afterwards. Think it took three attempts before it was fully cleaned.

My ex once decided to cook some honeyed chicken. I left him off until he mentioned that our oven didn't go high enough. Turns out he'd used an American recipe and didn't realise that they used Farenheit and had tried to set the oven to 330F. The chicken was completely black and welded to the dish; we had to throw the whole thing out.

My housemate dug the bits of chicken out of the honey/tar like substance, soaked it in water for two days to soften it, then ate it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I forgot one.

I was about 13 and mum had brought home a stir fry pack of vegetables and got some chicken etc. so I took it upon myself to make red wine chicken stir-fry.

We had no red wine though so I used the juice from a jar of beetroot as the red wine.

When it was cooked my unsuspecting grandmother took a mouthful of food and juice and rapidly spat it out.

The look on her face was priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Back in the day I used to flat share. One saturday I wanted to make a chilli, but when I got to the shops in the evening, there was no minced beef. There was a packet of minced venison so I thought what's the harm? I got home and made up the chilli. As I was cooking my flatmate arrived home with his girlfriend. We were all due to go out but he wanted to make a meal before going to the pub. Since the kitchen was a bit pokey, I offered to share the chilli, telling him it was made with venison. He accepted.

I finished the sauce, made a pot of rice and served it up to the other two in the living room. As we were tucking in, I said "tastes a lot like beef, doesn't it". My flatmates girlfriend, Karen, stops in mid forkful... "What'd mean, it tastes like beef. If its not beef, what is it? "Venison", I said. Whats venison? Deer. I didn't ask how expensive it was, what meat is it, says she. Deer meat. Blank look. Deer, you know, like bambi! I said helpfully. To say she was a little distressed would be an understatement. My flatmate had forgot to mention to his beloved that it was a venison chilli. I think she politely pushed it around the plate for a bit longer before declaring herself full....

Bless her, I think she went vegetarian not long after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Once was reheating a pot of curry, couldn't work out why it wasn't even warm when the hob was turned up to the max heat...

Qp1hvZcs.jpg?1

because this was between the pot and the hob. Flat smelled like burnt cork for days.

I once tried to make a pie crust with self raising flour.

I recently tried to bake bread in a slow cooker. It took two hours for the bottom to cook while the top remained a doughy mess. It sank to about an inch thick and was terribly dense. The dough had turned out really well too, I felt like a monster for wasting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Miaireland wrote: »
    My brother decided to make a sauce using mars bars for over ice cream. To this day I donot know how he managed it but the sauce set rock solid when it touched the ice cream. One of his friends lifted the sauce off the icecream and dropped it on the granite counter next to him. Big chuck out of the counter.
    Whenever you melt chocolate, ALWAYS add butter or cream to the mixture!! Still fascinating, mind... :p
    Stheno wrote: »
    I'd believe it.

My OH can't/won't cook, so in days of old, he used make shepherds pie as follows:

1. Fry mince.
    2. Throw in packet of shepherds pie mix.
    3. Add in frozen peas/veg
    4. Place in dish
    5. Top with store bought frozen mashed potato

/shudder
    This stuff drives me mad. It's first of all cheaper and not much more hassle in the least to do it right... but why do some men get so intimidated by the idea of cooking? It's really f***ig easy!! I lived in Perth for a while with three friends. One was decent at cooking, so no bothers there. But whenever one of us was making the dinner, we'd be dragging one of the other two over to show them "Look! It's not rocket science! Chop, stir, put in bowl, put in oven/pot/pan! Done!!!"

Eventually the got the hang of it... which we then regretted. Being the 'cook' in the "I cook, you clean" arrangement is the be the beneficiary of one of the most lopsided agreements in domestic history. :v

If anyone here always buys Dolmio for their bolognese, try this instead: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/easy-peasy-bolognese-sauce-443 and add bits of whatever extra spices you like most at the end. You won't be able to eat Dolmio without a little dry-heave motion ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I absolutely ruined my dinner lasts night. I was making chilli, I had all the ingredients prepped when I realised I had no fresh chillis or chilli powder. I did however have an unopened bottle of habanero dipping sauce from Aldi, so I thought I'll just cool everything else off normally and then I'll stir in some of the Aldi sauce at the end to give it a kick. What I didn't do was test how spicy it was, I just put in about 2tbs. How hot could it be right?

It burned the mouth off me, had to bin the lot of it and went to the chipper instead :(

• Advertisement

decisions wrote: »
    I absolutely ruined my dinner lasts night. I was making chilli, I had all the ingredients prepped when I realised I had no fresh chillis or chilli powder. I did however have an unopened bottle of habanero dipping sauce from Aldi, so I thought I'll just cool everything else off normally and then I'll stir in some of the Aldi sauce at the end to give it a kick. What I didn't do was test how spicy it was, I just put in about 2tbs. How hot could it be right?

It burned the mouth off me, had to bin the lot of it and went to the chipper instead :(
    I did that lately with a spicy sauce. I put a pint of cream in it to cool it down, and it was still too hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If stuff ends up too spicy I would freeze it in small batches, and it can be used in future as a hot sauce itself. i.e. if you added twice too much you could make an identical dish again, minus the chilli, add in the strong stuff and then it is all evened out.

I hate throwing stuff out
    5unflower wrote: »

272535.jpg

It should have been some lovely coconut biscuits :o
    I would have eaten those no bother! big pint of cold milk with them.

rubadub wrote: »
    If stuff ends up too spicy I would freeze it in small batches, and it can be used in future as a hot sauce itself. i.e. if you added twice too much you could make an identical dish again, minus the chilli, add in the strong stuff and then it is all evened out.

I hate throwing stuff out

I would have eaten those no bother! big pint of cold milk with them.

I think I would have only needed a teaspoon of it, and if it was in the freezer a drunk me would have attempted to re heat it at some stage forgetting that it was so hot :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Many moons ago as a young whippersnapper I decided to make some Christmas Cookies from a recipe in a book I'd gotten from the library. I think they were in the shape of Christmas trees.

I was chuffed with myself when making them. I was allowed measure and mix all the ingredients myself and just got my mum to put them in the oven for me. Unfortunately what came out of the oven was totally inedible and I almost got sick when tasting them.

What I thought were Christmas "Cookies" were in fact Christmas "Decorations" and the reason why they tasted so awful was because the recipe called for something like two cups of salt instead of sugar. :o
    Presumably the salt was there to act as a preservative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

kylith wrote: »
    I once tried to make a pie crust with self raising flour.

I recently tried to bake bread in a slow cooker. It took two hours for the bottom to cook while the top remained a doughy mess. It sank to about an inch thick and was terribly dense. The dough had turned out really well too, I felt like a monster for wasting it.

Why did you try to do it in the slow cooker can I ask? Most breads just need a really hot oven to make them rise and most cook pretty quickly, wouldn't have thought a slow cooker would add anything to it.

With melting chocolate, even adding water will stop it going rock hard, just a drop before melting. If you don't want to add cream or butter etc, but feck it if eating dessert might as well have one of them too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

A mate once told me, his girlfriend burned the rice. I commiserated, until he told me she didn't add water. Another spoilt bitch who let momma do all her cooking. How these people don't starve to death in Uni is anyone's guess ^ ^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

In college my friend and I were making brownies but the only vegetable oil we had was extra virgin olive oil.

They baked up lovely, smelled amazing, tasted like broken promises. Horrible.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

How these people don't starve to death in Uni is anyone's guess ^ ^
    Pot Noodles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

A mate once told me, his girlfriend burned the rice. I commiserated, until he told me she didn't add water. Another spoilt bitch who let momma do all her cooking. How these people don't starve to death in Uni is anyone's guess ^ ^
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    Pot Noodles.

Even Pot Noodle needs water added :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Clams in Vermouth & garlic spaghetti
    Looked the business one full chilli as well?
    I did not realise it was a Scotch Bonnet.

Major ring sting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Not sure if it counts as a cooking disaster but just set my boyfriends oven gloves on fire. Damn it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Trying to impress my new GF being all fancy pantsy, tried to make pavlova...

A brown swamp is all that came out of the oven 3 times, couldn't figure it out, she wasn't supposed to know but saw them in the bin, at least I got an A for effort... :rolleyes:

She also saw the box, when I gave in and bought one at the farmers market! Didn't hide it well enough!

DIT: Wrong thread, I was proud of this! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Billy86 wrote: »
    Rare/medium-rare steak with pepper sauce on top of mashed potato with a small bit of red chaddar and carrot (ran through the cheese grater and quickly boiled to make it soft). Stuffed mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and a small rocket/carrot/feta/asparagus salad on the side. Yummy!

FILE0006.jpg

While it's probably a disaster in the presentation, are you sure you have the right thread? ;)

Billy86 wrote: »
    Rare/medium-rare steak with pepper sauce on top of mashed potato with a small bit of red chaddar and carrot (ran through the cheese grater and quickly boiled to make it soft). Stuffed mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and a small rocket/carrot/feta/asparagus salad on the side. Yummy!

http://s15.postimg.org/9x7d0abbv/FILE0006.jpg

Looks very undisastrous!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    While it's probably a disaster in the presentation, are you sure you have the right thread? ;)

But the Tomatoes and the stuffed mushrooms are all symmetrical! :D

Wrong thread, damn you 25 tabs!!

Why did you try to do it in the slow cooker can I ask? Most breads just need a really hot oven to make them rise and most cook pretty quickly, wouldn't have thought a slow cooker would add anything to it.

Firstly it was simple curiosity, I'd heard you could do it and then just brown the crust under the grill and I wanted to give it a try.

Secondly, my oven is banjaxed. I put a loaf in the oven at the same time as I had one in the slow cooker. It was at top heat and after 2 hours was still terribly pale. I couldn't wait any longer so I took it out, it was still doughy in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I once put rashers too close to the grill and set them on fire. Then I panicked and sprayed the bejesus out of them with the fire extinguisher. If I had just closed the door of the oven they'd have been saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Vojera wrote: »
    I once put rashers too close to the grill and set them on fire. Then I panicked and sprayed the bejesus out of them with the fire extinguisher. If I had just closed the door of the oven they'd have been saved.

The only kitchen fire I ever produced was caused by closing the door while grilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

hardCopy wrote: »
    The only kitchen fire I ever produced was caused by closing the door while grilling.

Then I'm going to consider the sacrifice of bacon to the fire extinguisher gods a good investment :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Only found this thread today. It is fantastic haven't laughed so much in ages. Unfortunately can relate a lot to mixing up teaspoon and tablespoon measurements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I do all the cooking at our place (God love them) and we also have an au pair with us who couldn't boil an egg. Anyway, I made a pasta bake for the kids lunch (tomato, cheese and cream bake) and also some carrot & corriander soup that I made from scratch myself - both are yummy.

I came home and asked the au pair if the kids ate lunch.

"No" says she "..they didn't like the new pasta sauce".

"What sauce?" says I....

"The carrot & corriander sauce" says she.

I bit my lip and LMAO later when I told herself! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Those of you who do not get The Farmers Journal every week, (shame on you!) may not realise that they regularly feature recipes . NevanMaguire often contributes. He published a Christmas cake recipe about 5 years ago, and one evening I decided to give it a whirl. All went well until it instructed to "cream" the butter. I had no idea what to do, so as a last resort , I rang his restaurant to ask. I got a relative, and she was highly amused, but went down to the kitchen to ask the chef . On telling me what to do, she asked when was I baking the cake . When I told her I was in the middle of the process, she started laughing and told me that my wife would be very impressed. I didn't know what was so funny to her, but soon found out after putting the mix into tin oven and checking the baking time.
    Had to set the alarm clock for 4am !

Iver I'm intrigued :) Had you done much baking previously? Creaming butter and sugar together is a very common instruction in cakes. Laughing at the idea of ringing the restaurant about it, fair play ha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Those of you who do not get The Farmers Journal every week, (shame on you!) may not realise that they regularly feature recipes . NevanMaguire often contributes. He published a Christmas cake recipe about 5 years ago, and one evening I decided to give it a whirl. All went well until it instructed to "cream" the butter. I had no idea what to do, so as a last resort , I rang his restaurant to ask. I got a relative, and she was highly amused, but went down to the kitchen to ask the chef . On telling me what to do, she asked when was I baking the cake . When I told her I was in the middle of the process, she started laughing and told me that my wife would be very impressed. I didn't know what was so funny to her, but soon found out after putting the mix into tin oven and checking the baking time.
    Had to set the alarm clock for 4am !

Brilliant :D

Iver I'm intrigued :) Had you done much baking previously? Creaming butter and sugar together is a very common instruction in cakes. Laughing at the idea of ringing the restaurant about it, fair play ha :)

Well I suppose I an a typical farmer, in that I won't starve anytime soon . But never made a cake before. Roasts and spuds and gravy etc, 100%. But that threw me .

Anyway, if some gosson from Blacklion can do it, so can I !

Vojera wrote: »
    This actually just reminded me... can anyone explain how rashers under the grill always seem to not only stick to the bars of griddle-yolkey like glue (which never happens with the rest of the breakfast), but also invariably manage to become hotter than the surface of the sun?

Well I suppose I an a typical farmer, in that I won't starve anytime soon . But never made a cake before. Roasts and spuds and gravy etc, 100%. But that threw me .

That was a serious challenge to start with, a Christmas cake!

Made a mess of my cooking club recipie last night :o

I'll throw up the details when my recipie goes up on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

gotta ask, how did the cake turn out? great story :)

In school, I must have been the worst home ed student they ever had.

I once misread a recipe for irish stew and put 6 onions in it. It was very oniony.
    I burnt risotto in a saucepan so badly the pot was thrown out.
    I rolled out pastry on a worktop, but could only get it off by scraping it off with a spatula.
    I tried to make sole veronique for a class competition once. It looked and tasted so vile thinking of it still gives me shudders.

gotta ask, how did the cake turn out? great story :)

Turned out not too bad, got about a half an hour too long in the oven, cause half slept through the alarm. Was all eaten anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It was a long time before I knew how to use cardamom pods. I hated following recipes that used them as I always dreaded the moment I would bite into a pocket of toothpaste-like sustance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Two of my worst:

When I first took an interest in cooking I had a run of good form following relatively simple recipes to the letter. The first time I tried to experiment and invent my own dish I tried to make a potato, tomato and cheese bake. It was awful, I ended up with a gloopy stodgy bowl of wet potato.

274339.jpg

My most recent disaster was horrendous. My girlfriend is a big fan of liver and she convinced me to try it. She fried it with onions and it was just about manageable. A couple of weeks later I decided to try and add it to my delicious meatloaf recipe, figuring it would mask the liver, she could have liver and I wouldn't have to taste it, win/win!

It was absolutely awful, I didn't fry the liver before adding it to the meatloaf mix so I ended up with a large loaf of beef that tasted of liver and worcester sauce, full of lumps of insipid looking grey liver. We both hated it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Does nearly blowing the place up count as a food disaster? Working in a pub kitchen I knocked the lighter for the gas rings into the deep fat fryer. The only experience I have ever had of time slowing down so in .2 of a second I was able to think 'Ok, you don't have very much time before that lighter melts and gas meets chip oil and [pub owner] won't care that your face is melted off she'll still kill you so try get it out nice and quickly because you're going to have to run out of here before the fireball starts'

Managed to get it out with a tongs just after the outer layer of plastic melted and the inner layer around the fluid was starting to go. If I hadn't been desperately socially awkward at the time I would have marched behind the bar and demanded a whiskey for my nerves. Instead I panic-ate a catering sized bag of tortilla chips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Does nearly blowing the place up count as a food disaster?

We have a winner folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Creaming butter and sugar together is a very common instruction in cakes.

And a common mistake too.
    A former housemate from college thought creaming butter and sugar means to add cream to the butter-sugar mixture.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Years ago, for some family celebration in West Cork, my mum asked me to drop by Killarney on the way down from Dublin and collect the 5kg of Ling she'd ordered from a well-known fishmongers in the town. "Thank f*ck I'm not droppin' by yer place this weekend!" said the shop assistant, before starting to weep with laughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Making rice crispie buns once when i was about 12, i was wondering why the chocolate wasn't melting very quickly. (the hot water was melting it a little bit)
    I had the wrong ring on the cooker on and our plastic kettle was sitting on the hot ring slowly melting....

More recently making the caramel bit for millionaires shortbread...it was taking a long time to cook but seemed ok. Poured the caramel onto the base, cooled it, did the chocolate top. The caramel turned into rock solid toffee, tasty but impossible to slice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

hardCopy wrote: »
    Two of my worst:

When I first took an interest in cooking I had a run of good form following relatively simple recipes to the letter. The first time I tried to experiment and invent my own dish I tried to make a potato, tomato and cheese bake. It was awful, I ended up with a gloopy stodgy bowl of wet potato.

I thought the photo was apple crumble til I read your post!:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement