Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

the dee wrote: »
    Since I started cycling I have realised that Dublin is a lot drier than I thought. In the past 6 months, there have been about 7 days that I had to leave the bike behind because of rain. (this morning included).
    You're right, it is a lot drier.

People think it is wetter because they haven't examined the data objectively.
    If someone sitting at the window in their office sees it rain during the day they'll probably mark that day down as a rainy day. What that evaluation doesn't show is that it's quite likely that it wasn't raining during the commute, so, from a cyclist's point of view, it was a dry day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Could you imagine the amount of pedestrians who would be injured if all the people who drove started to cycle? When people drive cars most of then obey some of the rules. But, and here's a BIG generalisation, when people cycle most break all of them. If the people who drove started to cycle it wouldn't be safe to walk anywhere:D

Also in Amsterdam loads of people live in Amsterdam city centre. Very few people here live in Dublin city centre. Most people here live in suburbs which are kilometers from the city and there are loads of big hills coming out of Dublin, espically heading South.

Then we have the scumbag element here. You couldn't leave a bike on the side of any road and expect to come back with it intact. Over in Amsterdam they leave the bikes everywhere and no-one touches them,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Del2005 wrote:
    But, and here's a BIG generalisation

Generalisations. How could you go wrong.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Del2005 wrote: »
    Could you imagine the amount of pedestrians who would be injured if all the people who drove started to cycle? When people drive cars most of then obey some of the rules. But, and here's a BIG generalisation, when people cycle most break all of them. If the people who drove started to cycle it wouldn't be safe to walk anywhere:D
    And yet, all of the pedestrian fatalities involve collisions with motorists.
    Not sure about pedestrian injury but, where there's smoke there's fire...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Polar101

In some places the cycle lanes are pretty good (conveniently 90% of my commute has cycle lanes). And the poster above who said it doesn't rain all the time is quite correct - the weather doesn't usually prevent cycling.

However, the amount of broken glass on the streets makes cycling a worse option than it should be.. I haven't bothered to fix the bicycle since the last time I cycled over some ignorant idiot's broken bottles of beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Polar101

Del2005 wrote: »
    Then we have the scumbag element here. You couldn't leave a bike on the side of any road and expect to come back with it intact. Over in Amsterdam they leave the bikes everywhere and no-one touches them,

I hear in Amsterdam the people usually have two bikes, a really crappy one they use for commuting (so the scumbags won't want to touch them), and a better one they wouldn't leave at the train station etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jman0 wrote: »
    And yet, all of the pedestrian fatalities involve collisions with motorists.
    Not sure about pedestrian injury but, where there's smoke there's fire...

Where's your proof?

There are at least 2 threads on here where people have been killed by cyclists. And I never said anything about fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I remove all cycle lanes, complete waste of time, Dublin Co Co was actually asked to stop implementing them until they actually ascertained how many people where using them, its a frightful waste of effort for a tiny group of people

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BoatMad wrote: »
    I remove all cycle lanes, complete waste of time, Dublin Co Co was actually asked to stop implementing them until they actually ascertained how many people where using them, its a frightful waste of effort for a tiny group of people

It is chicken and egg. If you don't have high quality cycle lanes, then people aren't going to cycle. If people don't cycle then you don't build cycle lanes :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Do you cycle to work/school?: Can't cycle to work. It's too far, and half of the journey is motorway.

How far do you live from work/school?: think it's about 20KM

Would you cycle if you could bring your bike on the bus/DART/Luas to shorten your trip?: There is no convenient public transport route to my work from where I live, but if there was, I would.

If safer cycle lanes were introduced would you be more inclined to cycle?: Most current cycle lanes are a joke. They either have cars parked on them, or cut so much into the road that motorists just ignore them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Obvious troll is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Do you cycle to work/school?: No. I use a motorbike
    How far do you live from work/school?: think it's about 16KM

Would you cycle if you could bring your bike on the bus/DART/Luas to shorten your trip?:Public transport isn't reliable to where I work. It also take an hour so I'd be as quick cycling the whole way.

If safer cycle lanes were introduced would you be more inclined to cycle?: Yes especially in around town. I used to cycle everywhere but have too many incidents with cars/buses/trucks around the city centre. I currenly work in Citywest and there are no safe feasible cycle routes to the estate. Being forced to cross 4/5 lanes of traffic numerous times to finally be led into a fence does not constitute a good cycle lane(N81 cycle lane in Tallaght)

you need to understand the difference between objection and trolling

I think a small number of proper segregated lanes should be built and then monitored for usage. I would then form a long term plan based on this analysis and the feedback from user groups

The current process just like bus lanes is being carried out merely to be seen to be politically correct. Bus lanes are an extremely inefficent use of valuable road space and essentially markedly decrease the carrying capcity of a road. Cycle lanes taken from conventional roads are similar.

Calling someone a troll is a feeble excuse not to engage in the debate

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The current process just like bus lanes is being carried out merely to be seen to be politically correct. Bus lanes are an extremely inefficent use of valuable road space and essentially markedly decrease the carrying capcity of a road.

Not true, the majority of bus lanes carry far more passengers per hour, then a car lane. Studys have already been done on this.

Just because a bus lane isn't constantly full with buses, doesn't mean it is being under utilised. Remember just one full bus can be carry about 150 passengers, so just one bus can be the equivalent of 150 cars.

You seem to be one of those folks that think if there were less bus lanes that your car journey would be faster. You are mistaken, if there were no bus lanes, bus journeys would take far longer, which means bus use would be far less attractive, which would mean people would be even more likely to get a car instead and now your extra lane would be jammed up with an extra 150 cars.

If everyone who currently takes a bus, drove instead, the city would grind to a halt very quickly.

There's a thread on the bus lanes thing here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055214215

As for the cycle lanes, they take up feck all road space and people tend to drive on them anyway, so I don't see how they're decreasing the carrying capacity of the road. If anything, they're increasing it as the road can now carry a car and a bike as opposed to just a car, effectively doubling the capacity as most cars have just one occupant.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

but the current cycle lanes are :-

(a) Generally hated by cyclists as they are very inadaguate

(b) a political excercise in white line painting ( blah blah..Dublin has now got xxxkms of cycles lanes blah blah...)

(c) not encouraging cycling , cycling is falling in popularity in Dublin

(d) Most current cycle lanes are a joke,

My tuppence

(a) Desist from the current practice of merely painting white lines and calling it a cycleway.

(b) Build fewer ( to start with) high quality cycle lanes, that are segregated from other users, (except walkers), are pleasent to use and an ameanity in their own right

(c) Monitor the usage and generate real data

(d) Proceed carefully on the baisis of real data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Any comments would be a big help and if you could answer the following questions that would be even better:

Do you cycle to work/school? If not why not? Yip

How far do you live from work/school? 2k

Would you cycle if you could bring your bike on the bus/DART/Luas to shorten your trip? n/a

If safer cycle lanes were introduced would you be more inclined to cycle? More of my friends would. For your project, look at the new segragated cycle lane on the southbound side of O'Connell st, at the bridge end. There will be another lane like that going in contra-flow across the front of the Rotunda (Parnell Square South) so that we can cycle straight from Cinemax to Asiatown without going around the square.

The key problem and obstacle putting people off cycling in Dublin is the danger. There are hardly any routes through town that don't involve a few shonky bits where there is no space for bikes and some idiot driver trying to push past. There are no joined up routes for bikes, just patches of lane where they have the space. Add that to zombie pedestrians (partic at night) that think it's safe to just stroll out on to the road without looking when they don't hear a car and well it's all a bit hairy.

I've had a good few spills, nothing serious and all except one time it was someone else's fault. Each time I've taken the hit myself instead of crashing into the idiot - but next time... hmmm I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The O Connell st segregated lane is not great, It's not possible to overtake slow cyclists while in it.

I don't believe there is a need for segregated lanes, bicycles belong on the road. Cycle lanes can lead to dangerous road positioning on behalf of the cyclist. Bicycle lanes (on roads) are a bandage, a short term solution to poor motorist education.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I wonder why more cycle lanes cannot be carved out of mostly unused suburban pathways and the generally unkempt grassy verges. People do block them by walking along them with double prams, or whatever, pretending they are not there, but where they exist but they make life easier. Also they are less likely to have every bit of glass and other assorted road crap on them. The minister must be smoking something strong if he thinks Dublin is flat.

Dublin is relatively flat. You couldn't subject it to a spirit level test, but compared to cities like Cork say, there are very few offputting climbs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement