Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Just finished Feists 'magician' and have started silverthorn. I honestly and truly cannot see why 'magician' keeps popping up in peoples favorite fantasy books. It was kinda Meh with no believable magic system whatsoever. The whole magic armour of long dead gods thing was just silly and nonsensical. It was like reading a bad movie where you just have to turn the brain off and go along for the ride. In truth He could have called the book any job that would have meant that he would be able to interact on a certain social level and very little of the book would have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Never even finished it. Terrible book.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just finished Feists 'magician' and have started silverthorn. I honestly and truly cannot see why 'magician' keeps popping up in peoples favorite fantasy books.
    Nostalgia probably. I really enjoyed it.. but I also read it when I was about 12. If I read it nowadays, against what's out there, I'd probably think very differently. I've kept up with Feist's works since the and objectively they're not all that good but there's something about them that keeps me coming back (especially with it all ending this year!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mumo3

Just finished "The Book Thief" very good found it a bit unsettling at times its based in Nazi Germany but a good read very warm hearted I recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Finally finished 'The Hero of Ages' by Brandon Sanderson. Very good ending to the trilogy which I've heard others say was a little rushed at the end, but if so I can't say I felt the same. I found the pace increased quite nicely and the story built to a wonderful little creshendo at the end. I really enjoyed this trilogy, if that's what it is of course, since it kind of continues at a later time with 'Alloy of Law' which I'd actually already read in between the 2nd and 3rd books.

Excellent stuff, and am now starting 'The Way of Kings', which I've had sitting next to my bed for a good while.

Oh, and I've just remembered, I've also read 'The Coming of Conan the Cimerian' which I can't remember if I've mentioned before. It wouldn't be going too far to say that I was a little shocked. I went into it expecting it to be outdated and cliche, but in fact I found it to be the exact opposite and feel that a lot of fantasy authors could learn from it. I dunno, maybe I'm just gushing because it surprised me so much, but I can't help thinking that there's something in that old-style fantasy that just hits the right spot, and kind of leaves me wishing more modern day authors could do the same.

Anyway, whatever... it was great. Will be moving onto 'The Bloody Crown of Conan' at the earliest opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Just finished Feists 'magician' and have started silverthorn. I honestly and truly cannot see why 'magician' keeps popping up in peoples favorite fantasy books. It was kinda Meh with no believable magic system whatsoever. The whole magic armour of long dead gods thing was just silly and nonsensical. It was like reading a bad movie where you just have to turn the brain off and go along for the ride. In truth He could have called the book any job that would have meant that he would be able to interact on a certain social level and very little of the book would have changed.

The Empire Trilogy is where it's at. Just think of the Riftwar Saga as Background Material.

I do agree with Ixoy. Feist, like Eddings, is alot better when you read them during your childhood. Nostalgia does indeed play a major part.

Though I will say, unlike Eddings, Feist actually did improve during his later books. I really like his Serpentwar Saga, but it's also depressing.
    Alot of my favorite character in his earlier books got killed there. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Got through a few bits over Christmas (its great to have some more time for reading!).

Finished Old Mans War and loved it so I went straight into the sequel The Ghost Brigades. Both great fun and fast paced.

I also read Wool Omnibus after some recommendations from friends and I'd definitely recommend it. Well written and a very interesting world.

Currrently 90% through The Way of Kings. Its been on my list for awhile but I was putting it off because 1) its huge! 2) its the first of 10 planned and the only one written. But I'm flying through it and very much enjoying it. Again an interesting world, well written and engaging characters. Lets hope he doesn't take too long to get the next one out!

Just to echo what a few other people have said. There's some definite nostalgia involved. It was probably the book that really got me into the fantasy genre so it'll always be a favorite of mine. I've stuck with the series through its ups and downs (and there's definitely been a good few downs!) so hopefully it'll end on a high with the last book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

So, Is it worth sticking out silverthorn and the next one?

I have the new day by day armageddon and the twelve sitting on my kindle waiting their turn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

I have the new day by day armageddon and the twelve sitting on my kindle waiting their turn :)

Silverthorn is definitely much better than Magician. Most of the FANTASTIC that you didn't like in the First Book takes a Backseat there.

Definitely. Silverthorn is a much tighter story with less focus on the "big" magic and more on characters. The third book in the trilogy A Darkness at Sethanon is worth a read too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The serpent wars is what you want. Still not as good as other fantasy out there but easily feists best series.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finished The Hydrogen Sonata over Christmas (good, but not great). Re-reading Childhood's End at the moment. :)
    Silverthorn is definitely much better than Magician.
    Even the second half of Magician is better than the first. It's like the writer is learning to write during the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I have had a rough couple of months so time to enlist the services an old familiar friend to see me through the long dark bits of the night when both concentration and sleep have gone AWOL

- Wheel of Time here we go again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Cannot wait for a Memory of Light in the Wheel of Time series! Wonder if Rand will win?

constantg wrote: »
    Cannot wait for a Memory of Light in the Wheel of Time series! Wonder if Rand will win?
    Thing is we know Rand wins and that the world doesn't end. There's no mystery there. What we don't know is the cost of it.

fenris wrote: »
    I have had a rough couple of months so time to enlist the services an old familiar friend to see me through the long dark bits of the night when both concentration and sleep have gone AWOL

Definitely going to have to have to read this series. After 'The Way of Kings' I'm all over it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Just finished the Rho Agenda (three books - The Second Ship, Immune and Wormhole) by Richard Phillips. It's a good series, with memorable characters and tech. It even leans toward "hard" Sci-Fi as he is a Physics major. It doesn't go as hard-fi as the Rifter trilogy, but it is enough to lend a bit of credibility to the scenarios.

Am about 20% into 'The Way of Kings' now and I must say I'm a little underwhelmed. The first two parts, the prelude and the prologue were very good and I Was really getting into it, then we had a whole long boring part whereby all we witnessed was
    a load of men running with a bridge.
    What's that about? I Hope it improves from here.

• Advertisement

gufnork wrote: »
    Am about 20% into 'The Way of Kings' now and I must say I'm a little underwhelmed. The first two parts, the prelude and the prologue were very good and I Was really getting into it, then we had a whole long boring part whereby all we witnessed was
    a load of men running with a bridge.
    What's that about? I Hope it improves from here.

I really enjoyed it but it very much feels like a setup novel where he's mostly trying to introduce characters and the world for the future novels (there's 10 planned!!).

So there are a good few scenes which don't seem to go anywhere. It could probably have been 300 pages shorter and still covered everything it needed to but the world and some of the characters were interesting enough to keep me happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

The Pillars of the Earth, took a while to get into it but I'm really enjoying it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

fenris wrote: »

Dear Santa,
    Thank you for my Kindle:D

33% of the way through The Fires of Heaven. Forgotten loads but then its nearly 20 years since i started the series:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Book 2 of Mistborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

I recently decided to start reading Neil Gaiman's books. He's one of those authors I've always meant to read but the size of his back catalogue always scares me off... I'd read Coraline and Stardust previously and kinda decided to stick with some of his books aimed at kids and am currently reading The Graveyard Book...I would like to upgrade to a bit more of his adult stuff but am unsure where to begin, like you cant help but hear amazing things about American Gods or the Anasi Boys, but I dont want to jump straight in at his best and then be disappointed by his other work. Should i go chronologically? Maybe I should ask are there any books I really shouldnt read. Any advice or thoughts would be great!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

bradyle wrote: »
    I recently decided to start reading Neil Gaiman's books. He's one of those authors I've always meant to read but the size of his back catalogue always scares me off... I'd read Coraline and Stardust previously and kinda decided to stick with some of his books aimed at kids and am currently reading The Graveyard Book...I would like to upgrade to a bit more of his adult stuff but am unsure where to begin, like you cant help but hear amazing things about American Gods or the Anasi Boys, but I dont want to jump straight in at his best and then be disappointed by his other work. Should i go chronologically? Maybe I should ask are there any books I really shouldnt read. Any advice or thoughts would be great!!
    Of his books I've always liked Neverwhere, which is as good an entry point as any.

For my money The Sandman is still his best work.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Reading Reapers Gale.(Malazan series)

I'm loving it even though I'm walking a fine line between understanding it and being lost!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The size of someon'e back catalogue can be a great thing, keep you in books for ages. I'm almost finished 'Consider Phlebas' by Iain M Banks which I am really enjoying, and he has a dozen other scifi books and some of his regular fiction looks good too - excellent :) Never read a book of his until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

I'll start Neverwhere so!! Finished The Graveyard Book yesterday...might have stayed on the bus past my stop just so that I could read the ending!!

I only found out over Christmas that Ian M Banks did sci fi kind of stuff...i associated him with books my mam reads cuz of his normal fiction...might give him a shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Just started a second attempt at The Dark Tower, and am about halfway through The Gunslinger. Made it as far as the third book a few years ago, will keep going this time. Had forgotten how much I had enjoyed The Gunslinger, a great little book.

It's a great little book, but the writing is odd, not like Stephen King at all. Leaped straight into the next one, The Drawing Of The Three, which is very King like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Reading Raven's Shadow - Book One: Blood Song by Anthony Ryan at the moment and really enjoying it. Very well written but more black and white rather than shades of grey in terms its approach to good and evil.

Recieved Red Knight by Miles Cameron as agift and looking forward to reading it.

Just purchased The Neutronium Alchemsist and Quantum Thief. Havent read good sci-fi in ages and these were both recommended. Anyone got any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Playboy wrote: »
    Just purchased The Neutronium Alchemsist and Quantum Thief. Havent read good sci-fi in ages and these were both recommended. Anyone got any thoughts?

Seruiously enjoyed Quantum Thief, absolute pleasure of a read.

Currently reading Peter Hamiltons The Great North Road. Got off to a flying start but from around 30-55% flagged. Currently around 60% and it seems to be (finally!) picking up the pace a bit. Can't help but think a decent editor would of made this a much better book, hoping it will end in a crescendo of goodness however so sticking with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finished Childhood's End (again). Smashing stuff.

Have started on Roadside Picnic (Arkady and Boris Strugatsky). Worth the read?

Really hated 'The Way of Kings'. Got to page 214 and simply couldn't force myself on any longer. A set-up novel it may be but that's no excuse for this level of tedium. Have moved onto 'Light' by 'M. John Harrison' now. I really liked Mistborn too, and Alloy of Law. Very disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Finally finished 'The Hero of Ages' by Brandon Sanderson.
    I thought that trilogy was some of the cleverest stuff I'd read in ages, even if there was a hint of YA about the whole thing. There's a movie in there bursting to get out you'd have to think.

Working my way through the ISFDB Top 100 books from the bottom. Well the 2012 list as it keeps changing! On #97, Neuromancer, which has quite fantastically evaded me for all these years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    At the moment I am reading this forum!!!

On the whole Feist thing, I read A Darkness At Sethanon first when I was a kid and didn't really know what trilogies were... wish I'd left it there. The first two are awful, as is everything else of his I have read. (and now given up on I might add)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Really hated 'The Way of Kings'. Got to page 214 and simply couldn't force myself on any longer. A set-up novel it may be but that's no excuse for this level of tedium. Have moved onto 'Light' by 'M. John Harrison' now. I really liked Mistborn too, and Alloy of Law. Very disappointed.

Very slow to start but it really kicks off later. Trust me stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Evil for Evil, I know some people didn't think it was as good as the first one, but I really enjoyed it.
    Started The Gathering Storm by Jordan/Sanderson. My thinking is that by the time I've finished this and Towers of Midnight, A Memory of Light ebook will be out, and I want to finish a few series before getting stuck into any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

mcgovern wrote: »
    Finished Evil for Evil, I know some people didn't think it was as good as the first one, but I really enjoyed it.
    Started The Gathering Storm by Jordan/Sanderson. My thinking is that by the time I've finished this and Towers of Midnight, A Memory of Light ebook will be out, and I want to finish a few series before getting stuck into any more.

Gathering Storm the pinnacle of Sanderson's WoT books. After reading all 3 I actually think Jordan could of got it done in one massive book.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I thought that trilogy was some of the cleverest stuff I'd read in ages, even if there was a hint of YA about the whole thing. There's a movie in there bursting to get out you'd have to think.

Yeah, was very good indeed. I Think that's one of the reasons I expected more of 'The Way of Kings'. I may very well go back and try again at some point, but I simply can't face it at the moment. A movie wouldn't surprise me in the least either, they've got the RPG so yeah, why not? I'd be right there, right at the front of the queue that's for sure. Now, who to play Vin?
    Very slow to start but it really kicks off later. Trust me stick with it.

No, can't, don't make me please... later, later, I promise(but I don't really). Maybe I could skip the first one? Will I miss much? Still can't face it again just yet anyway though.

Reading "A Memory of Light" by Robert Jordan / Brandon Sanderson. Finally I approach the end!

In interludes from that, I'm also reading "Wool 3" by Hugh Howey. At least I can read this one on the Kindle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Reading William Gibson's "Neuromancer" at the moment. I must confess, it hasn't been the easiest read. I've been finding myself stopping intermittently realising that I'm not entirely sure what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Yeah, was very good indeed. I Think that's one of the reasons I expected more of 'The Way of Kings'. I may very well go back and try again at some point, but I simply can't face it at the moment. A movie wouldn't surprise me in the least either, they've got the RPG so yeah, why not? I'd be right there, right at the front of the queue that's for sure. Now, who to play Vin?

No, can't, don't make me please... later, later, I promise(but I don't really). Maybe I could skip the first one? Will I miss much? Still can't face it again just yet anyway though.

Really bemused by these posts... Mistborn was poor. It has some good ideas and you could see there was a talented writer in there finding his feet. Its characters were terrible bar Sazed and a couple of others. Vin and Elend have to be two of the worst main characters in a series of fantasy novels ever! Sanderson really cant write women well but for some reason he seems to like writing from that perspective even though its a weakness of his.

I agree that there is a movie in there though but only because the stories lacked any real depth so would be easy to translate to screen.

The Way of Kings on the other hand was one of the better fantasy novels of the last 5 years. Wonderfully imaginative, far better pace and lots more depth. Characters were also on another level to Mistborn but again there were couple of poor female characters in there too. Sanderson really came into his own with this novel and it looks like he took far more time editing it (even though it could have done with a little more). WoK left me wanting more whereas I couldnt wait to finish Mistborn by the end. My missus is on the final Mistborn at the moment and she is struggling to get to the end.

All about opinions though.. different strokes for different folks and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

While i agree about elend being a poor character the mistborn series had one of the best and unique magic systems of any series i've read. I found the only thing that disappointed me was that it ended.

Back on topic, Really struggling to make progress with silverthorn.. ill persist though.

Really bemused by these posts...
    I didn't say it was brilliant, I said it was clever. Vin was annoying, yes, and all that ballroom garbage annoyed me immensely.
    Far far far from sucked though.

How flat and shallow is The Hobbit and that's worth 9 hours of film apparently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

I'm currently reading The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. The Name of the Wind is the first book in the incomplete trilogy, The Kingkiller Chronicles. I'm really enjoying the book, I love the way the author writes - so fluid. The story is also so believable I actually feel I'm in the world 100% of the time. I'm finding it seriously hard to put it down at the moment! I really hope this author writes more after he as finished this trilogy! The Name of the Wind is well worth the read if you haven't done so yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

DarkDusk wrote: »
    I'm currently reading The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. The Name of the Wind is the first book in the incomplete trilogy, The Kingkiller Chronicles. I'm really enjoying the book, I love the way the author writes - so fluid. The story is also so believable I actually feel I'm in the world 100% of the time. I'm finding it seriously hard to put it down at the moment! I really hope this author writes more after he as finished this trilogy! The Name of the Wind is well worth the read if you haven't done so yet.

That will change towards the end of the book...

Still love them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Really bemused by these posts... Mistborn was poor. It has some good ideas and you could see there was a talented writer in there finding his feet. Its characters were terrible bar Sazed and a couple of others. Vin and Elend have to be two of the worst main characters in a series of fantasy novels ever! Sanderson really cant write women well but for some reason he seems to like writing from that perspective even though its a weakness of his.

I agree that there is a movie in there though but only because the stories lacked any real depth so would be easy to translate to screen.

The Way of Kings on the other hand was one of the better fantasy novels of the last 5 years. Wonderfully imaginative, far better pace and lots more depth. Characters were also on another level to Mistborn but again there were couple of poor female characters in there too. Sanderson really came into his own with this novel and it looks like he took far more time editing it (even though it could have done with a little more). WoK left me wanting more whereas I couldnt wait to finish Mistborn by the end. My missus is on the final Mistborn at the moment and she is struggling to get to the end.

All about opinions though.. different strokes for different folks and all.

Have to agree with you re. Mistborn. The universe was interesting enough and I did enjoy the first one but totally lost interest around 20% into the second one and never bothered finishing it. WoK far superior.

• Advertisement
Advertisement