Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Mexcanelo wrote: »
    I would completely disregard the 2015 championship team as any indication of Roscommon's team for Championship 2016. Its a new management team, a new system. 2015 is in the past. Roscommon are looking to the future.

I believe the vast majority of this league team will continue on into the championship.

You list is all wrong. Conor Daly played against Donegal, He scored 3 points, he was one of Roscommon's best players until he was wrongfully black carded and replaced by Niall Kilroy

Ian Kilbride has played in every other league game, and he has been brilliant in midfield. A minor injury kept him out of the Donegal game. He will be back for the Mayo game and beyond.

Cathal Shine and Harney are on the bench, Ready to come in when the call comes,

Everyone else on your list is either injured or simply don't make the cut.

For me Roscommon strongest starting 15 is.

1.G. Claffey

2. S.McDermott
    3. N.Collins
    4. N.McInerney

5. C.Daly
    6. D.Keenan
    7. D.Murray

8. E.Smith
    9. I.Kilbride

10. F.Gregg
    11. D.Murtagh
    12. C.Devaney

13. C.Connolly
    14. S.Kilbride
    15. C.Gregg

Mayo didn't disregard their panel after their awful 2010 championship nor should Roscommon now. Picking a strongest team without the 2nd highest scorer in Div one ( C Murtagh) this year is daft and it was Niall Daly that scored 0-3 against Donegal but i wouldn't expect a "new" supporter/poster like you to be up to date on these things ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

A fit Cathal Shine and Kevin Higgins are our best midfield by a mile. Higgins is powerful and mobile (a natural CF but who has got so much time in the middle now he's became a good midfielder) while Shine is mobile for a big guy and offers a lot with his breaks and fielding. We are too small in the middle at the moment whatever about mobility. Niall Carty will be starting somewhere if he can get his knee right imho.

If Donie Shine was to get in the shape of his life and get a bit of luck with injuries I'd find it hard not to start him because he's one of our best kick-passers and is an excellent long range free-taker, something that you can see clearly we just don't have at the moment. The fact he's also a gamer who has stepped up repeatedly in the championship can't be ignored either.

The players missing aren't just panel players, pretty much every one of them bar Harney (whose best is yet to come) are long established championship starters. A lot of the leaders on the team are sitting in the stands right now so it's a big testament to the lads who've came in that have stepped up to that plate. What it makes nonsense of is the lazy analysis of us going for broke in the league, the management have been the most conservative in minding players of any I've seen in years. They have their eyes firmly placed on the bigger picture and later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Syferus wrote: »
    A fit Cathal Shine and Kevin Higgins are our best midfield by a mile. Niall Carty will be starting somewhere if he can get his knee right imho.

If Donie Shine was to get in the shape of his life and get a bit of luck with injuries I'd find it hard not to start him because he's one of our best kick-passers and is an excellent long range free-taker, something that you can see clearly we just don't have at the moment.

The players missing aren't just panel players, pretty much every one of them bar Harney (whose best is yet to come) are long established championship starters. A lot of the leaders on the team are sitting in the stands right now so it's a big testament to the lads who've came in that have stepped up to that plate.

I not sure if we will see Donie Shine back as a regular starter anytime soon.Lad is riddled with injuries and hasnt been fully fit in a while.Its a pity because he has a lot to offer still,hopefully he gets up to speed to add to the panel soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

A fit Cathal Shine and Kevin Higgins are our best midfield by a mile. Higgins is powerful and mobile (a natural CF but who has got so much time in the middle now he's became a good midfielder) while Shine is mobile for a big guy and offers a lot with his breaks and fielding. We are too small in the middle at the moment whatever about mobility. Niall Carty will be starting somewhere if he can get his knee right imho.

If Donie Shine was to get in the shape of his life and get a bit of luck with injuries I'd find it hard not to start him because he's one of our best kick-passers and is an excellent long range free-taker, something that you can see clearly we just don't have at the moment. The fact he's also a gamer who has stepped up repeatedly in the championship can't be ignored either.

The players missing aren't just panel players, pretty much every one of them bar Harney (whose best is yet to come) are long established championship starters. A lot of the leaders on the team are sitting in the stands right now so it's a big testament to the lads who've came in that have stepped up to that plate. What it makes nonsense of is the lazy analysis of us going for broke in the league, the management have been the most conservative in minding players of any I've seen in years. They have their eyes firmly placed on the bigger picture and later in the year.

What is the news on Kevin Higgins lads?

I think a space has to be found in half back line for David Keenan too. Super reader of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I believe the vast majority of this league team will continue on into the championship.

The championship, Roscommon would need to potentially win 3 games just to reach a Connacht final. You or I cannot predict the Roscommon team should e.g they got hammered in league semi final or played poorly against new York or drew with leitrim
    your list is all wrong. Conor Daly played against Donegal, He scored 3 points, he was one of Roscommon's best players until he was wrongfully black carded and replaced by Niall Kilroy

I never mentioned Conor Daly. I mentioned Ronan Daly who is conor's younger brother though, current under 21 and started against fermanagh

Fyi Niall Daly the older brother of Conor scored 3 points against Donegal. There are 3 Daly brothers on Roscommon panel and soon to be 4 as their youngest sibling is probably best player on minor team.
    Ian Kilbride has played in every other league game, and he has been brilliant in midfield. A minor injury kept him out of the Donegal game. He will be back for the Mayo game and beyond.

He didn't play against Donegal and isn't picked to start vs mayo as enda smith replacing Ronan stack is only change
    Cathal Shine and Harney are on the bench, Ready to come in when the call comes,

Cathal shine wasn't on bench last game and is dealing with personal issues from reports

Harney done his hamstring last month warming up before sigerson cup final, he only returned to action on saturday during u21 match with sligo so he hasn't been on the bench ready to come on..
    everyone else on your list is either injured or simply don't make the cut.

O'malley isn't injured and started the games this year vs Monaghan and Kerry
    Donie shine and Kevin Higgins are back playing club games.not sure how you can say the guy who almost single handedly won us our last Connacht in 2010 and just turned 27 simply won't make cut in a small county like ours!
    For me Roscommon strongest starting 15 is.

1.G. Claffey

2. S.McDermott
    3. N.Collins
    4. N.McInerney

5. C.Daly
    6. D.Keenan
    7. D.Murray

8. E.Smith
    9. I.Kilbride

10. F.Gregg
    11. D.Murtagh
    12. C.Devaney

13. C.Connolly
    14. S.Kilbride
    15. C.Gregg

So you leave off Ciaran murtagh the captain and top scorer in the league. you do know Ciaran and Diarmuid are not the same person. Diarmuid is the younger brother and nobody in the right mind would pick him half forward, he is speedy corner forward

Fintan and cathal Cregg not Gregg and no.they are not related.

I doubt cian connolly starts for Roscommon in championship with everyone fit. Diarmuid murtagh is a much better footballer imo and more suited for that spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

rossie1977 wrote: »
    The championship, Roscommon would need to potentially win 3 games just to reach a Connacht final. You or I cannot predict the Roscommon team should e.g they got hammered in league semi final or played poorly against new York or drew with leitrim

I never mentioned Conor Daly. I mentioned Ronan Daly who is conor's younger brother though, current under 21 and started against fermanagh

Fyi Niall Daly the older brother of Conor scored 3 points against Donegal. There are 3 Daly brothers on Roscommon panel and soon to be 4 as their youngest sibling is probably best player on minor team.

He didn't play against Donegal and isn't picked to start vs mayo as enda smith replacing Ronan stack is only change

Cathal shine wasn't on bench last game and is dealing with personal issues from reports

Harney done his hamstring last month warming up before sigerson cup final, he only returned to action on saturday during u21 match with sligo so he hasn't been on the bench ready to come on..

O'malley isn't injured and started the games this year vs Monaghan and Kerry
    Donie shine and Kevin Higgins are back playing club games.not sure how you can say the guy who almost single handedly won us our last Connacht in 2010 and just turned 27 simply won't make cut in a small county like ours!

So you leave off Ciaran murtagh the captain and top scorer in the league. you do know Ciaran and Diarmuid are not the same person. Diarmuid is the younger brother and nobody in the right mind would pick him half forward, he is speedy corner forward

Fintan and cathal Cregg not Gregg and no.they are not related.

I doubt cian connolly starts for Roscommon in championship with everyone fit. Diarmuid murtagh is a much better footballer imo and more suited for that spot.

Cian does a lot of good things - wins ball, lays it off. He also works hard tracking runs of corner back. He lacks a bit of bite and physicality, but he's a summer player

I can never remember having so many quality options for a Roscommon panel.

FYI, O'Malley did have a thumb injury he sustained in a challenge against Armagh earlier in the year. Was very doubtful for the Monaghan game. Set him back a bit and Claffey has taken this opportunity so far after looking a bit ropey in the FBD, which in itself is understandable given he didn't play club last year.

Impressive job the management have done identifying players like Claffey, Purcell, Dev and Fintan who many would have thought were unlikely to be back on the panel again, maybe Dev excepted. Fintan looked a player lacking confidence last time he wore primrose, the difference in him this year is something else. Not a stretch to say he's one of the real leaders on this team now.

Dev, Ciaran Murt and Fintan probably our best performers on the year too.

Interested to see what Enda's role is when more players are back. His best position is probably wing forward (he has pace to burn and is a wonderful long range scorer) but he has the height to play 11 or 14. Wouldnt be a fan of him in a convention midfield role and obviously management isn't either with him usually switching to HF with Fintan when he plays there now. It's understandable in that it's a foreign position to him and one you need to do different things in to be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

A forward line of

F.Cregg - C.Murtagh - Dev
    D.Murtagh - Senan - C.Cregg

is what i'd like to see come Championship time. Some serious firepower, any one of those players has the ability on any given day to kick 4 or 5 points from play. I didn't like Devaney at corner forward in previous campaigns but he's really impressed me with his quality kickpassing and work rate in this league campaign.

As for Donie Shine, I really don't know if he'll ever be a starter again. He seems to have lost alot of confidence and I have worries that he isn't mobile enough to play Midfield in a high paced Championship game.

Sending Mayo down on Sunday would possibly be one of the most satisfying moments in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

TimRiggins wrote: »
    A forward line of

is what i'd like to see come Championship time. Some serious firepower, any one of those players has the ability on any given day to kick 4 or 5 points from play. I didn't like Devaney at corner forward in previous campaigns but he's really impressed me with his quality kickpassing and work rate in this league campaign.

As for Donie Shine, I really don't know if he'll ever be a starter again. He seems to have lost alot of confidence and I have worries that he isn't mobile enough to play Midfield in a high paced Championship game.

Sending Mayo down on Sunday would possibly be one of the most satisfying moments in history.

You'll need Monaghan to beat Kerry to guarantee that.
    So don't get too excited if Roscommon win until you know the result from Clones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I really don't care about relegating Mayo. They are a shower of whingers anyway.
    Got annihilated by Cork the first day out, and Mayoites claimed Cork had way more work done.
    Then Ros go out and tear Cork a new one, and suddenly Ros have way more work done than Cork. I mean, wtf?

The one thing that will come against Devanney is the amount of frees he gives away. I think 3 scoreable frees were given away by him v Donegal.

• Advertisement

You'll need Monaghan to beat Kerry to guarantee that.
    So don't get too excited if Roscommon win until you know the result from Clones.
    Monaghan game is a half hour earlier.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Monaghan game is a half hour earlier.

The point is the same, Roscommon cannot relegate Mayo without Monaghan winning.

A forward line of

League is completely different than championship though. Sure those guys could score 4-5 points from play but they could easily not score. Devaney has been frustratingly inconsistent in the championship, great one day and then missing next 3. senans been hit and miss, cathal cregg ends up closer to his own goal in many championship games and fintan is untested at that level

Those 6 together would be a little lightweight at championship level especially the way mayo play in Connacht bringing the o'shea brothers back to defend

Of course he will. We easily forget donie played his best football under fod, scoring 18 points in 2 Connacht finals and winning all Ireland minor. It's funny you mentioned the guys above but it was donie, not devaney or senan or cathal cregg who was a consistent scorer under o donnell.

Donie is 4 years younger than senan and offers you more seeing as he can play in 3 positions. A fully fit on form donie starts at full forward under fod I bet

Really? Wouldn't even register for me.

A forward line of

If you watched Donie v Cavan or Fermanagh or for Clann v. Mitchels you'd have seen a player full of confidence. He scored the best point I'd seen in years from play against Fermanagh ffs, you don't take those shots if you lack confidence. And he was half injured even in those games. His only worries are health related. And he's also not a midfielder.

Sending Mayo down would be nice. Nothing more. Not even in the same post code as winning the U21 title next weekend would be, though.

The point is the same, Roscommon cannot relegate Mayo without Monaghan winning.

point is the Monaghan game is long over before the Ros game and therefore we will know the result of it.I never mentioned relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Tim Riggins picking a forward line without Donal Shine,Ultan Harney,Enda Smith,Cian Connolly,Donie Smith highlights the strength in depth Roscommon have now in the forward department however it's defensively where Roscommon lack cover and at the moment the defence lacks structure. A good forward line can win you games but as they say a good defence will win you championships or titles.

Tim Riggins picking a forward line without Donal Shine,Ultan Harney,Enda Smith,Cian Connolly,Donie Smith highlights the strength in depth Roscommon have now in the forward department however it's defensively where Roscommon lack cover and at the moment the defence lacks structure. A good forward line can win you games but as they say a good defence will win you championships or titles.

Think the defense has structure for the first time in forever. We need Mullooly involved to add cover, and Carty too. Plenty of cover at CB and WB but none at FB or CHB.

however it's defensively where Roscommon lack cover and at the moment the defence lacks structure. A good forward line can win you games but as they say a good defence will win you championships or titles.

A full toward line of diarmuid murtagh, donie shine and donie smith would have a field-day against our defense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

A full toward line of diarmuid murtagh, donie shine and donie smith would have a field-day against our defense

I disagree.

Our full-back line is excellent and I'd fancy them to hold that full-forward line.

I don't like to criticise amateur players who give so much, but Donie Smith just isn't good enough for inter-county football. There's so much more than skill levels required and he has proven over and over again that he doesn't have the bottle, discipline or physicality at the top level. I'm sorry to say it, but somebody has to.

Donie Shine's best position IMO is as a supplimentary midfielder (a deep playing half forward). From there he can be very useful for kickouts and his kick passing to the inside line is top-notch. The Fermanagh game last year proved this beyond any doubt. I think he's a bit too one-dimensional at full-forward and when there he seems to think he absolutely HAS to shoot no matter what.

megadodge wrote: »
    I disagree.

Our full-back line is excellent and I'd fancy them to hold that full-forward line.

I don't like to criticise amateur players who give so much, but Donie Smith just isn't good enough for inter-county football. There's so much more than skill levels required and he has proven over and over again that he doesn't have the bottle, discipline or physicality at the top level. I'm sorry to say it, but somebody has to.

Donie Shine's best position IMO is as a supplimentary midfielder (a deep playing half forward). From there he can be very useful for kickouts and his kick passing to the inside line is top-notch. The Fermanagh game last year proved this beyond any doubt. I think he's a bit too one-dimensional at full-forward and when there he seems to think he absolutely HAS to shoot no matter what.

Barely got to see Donie with his injury. Bit OTT writing him off like that to say the least.

He's like an inside line version of his brother. Fast, good scorer and a lovely striker of the ball. He was one of the very best underage players we've produced and has even been our top scorer in the league as recently as 2013 so excuse the management if they keep him around. I'd say if he was fit for the league he'd have pushed Connolly very hard for the 13 jersey.

Donie Shine's best position is FF. Midfield doesn't suit him as much as Cathal Shine and putting him on a CHB is a serious worry defensively. At midfield I'd have Compton, Kilbride, Fintan and Cathal Shine and Higgins when fit ahead of him. Thomas Corcoran I have high hopes for too. At FF it's between him and Senan, maybe Harney but I think his best position is CHF not FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

League is completely different than championship though. Sure those guys could score 4-5 points from play but they could easily not score. Devaney has been frustratingly inconsistent in the championship, great one day and then missing next 3. senans been hit and miss, cathal cregg ends up closer to his own goal in many championship games and fintan is untested at that level

Those 6 together would be a little lightweight at championship level especially the way mayo play in Connacht bringing the o'shea brothers back to defend

Of course he will. We easily forget donie played his best football under fod, scoring 18 points in 2 Connacht finals and winning all Ireland minor. It's funny you mentioned the guys above but it was donie, not devaney or senan or cathal cregg who was a consistent scorer under o donnell.

Donie is 4 years younger than senan and offers you more seeing as he can play in 3 positions. A fully fit on form donie starts at full forward under fod I bet

Really? Wouldn't even register for me.
    Barely got to see Donie with his injury. Bit OTT writing him off like that to say the least.

He's like an inside line version of his brother. Fast, good scorer and a lovely striker of the ball. He was one of the very best underage players we've produced and has even been our top scorer in the league as recently as 2013 so excuse the management if they keep him around. I'd say if he was fit for the league he'd have pushed Connolly very hard for the 13 jersey.

Donie Shine's best position is FF. Midfield doesn't suit him as much as Cathal Shine and putting him on a CHB is a serious worry defensively. At midfield I'd have Compton, Kilbride, Fintan and Cathal Shine and Higgins when fit ahead of him. Thomas Corcoran I have high hopes for too. At FF it's between him and Senan, maybe Harney but I think his best position is CHF not FF.

I think any quality FB would be able to handly Donie Shine pretty easy nowadays. You guys seem to have alot more faith in him then me, but the only place where I see a future for him is coming in as a 3rd midfielder from half forward as megadodge said or competing for the midfield spots.

I think any quality FB would be able to handly Donie Shine pretty easy nowadays. You guys seem to have alot more faith in him then me, but the only place where I see a future for him is coming in as a 3rd midfielder from half forward as megadodge said or competing for the midfield spots.

Why would any FB be able to handle him easily? Good in the air, can turn and shoot and has good vision. None of that has changed in the last six months. At CF as you're suggesting his lack of speed would be exposed far more and he'd have to mark a player he probably isn't fit to and we'd be getting an extra player thundering down the central channel at our defence.

Much like AOS in Mayo, with Donie you have to be very careful with the match-ups as I've seen big lads like Donie and AOS burnt so many times on the defensive it's not even funny.

He's like an inside line version of his brother. Fast, good scorer and a lovely striker of the ball. He was one of the very best most skilful underage players we've produced and has even been our top scorer in the league as recently as 2013 so excuse the management if they keep him around. I'd say if he was fit for the league he'd have pushed Connolly very hard for the 13 jersey.

I don't want to get into a war of words on this issue, so I'll leave it at this - Donie Smith has been a disappointment in virtually all the big underage games he played where Roscommon lost or came close to losing. He's grand when we're winning well. That type of a player is no good to a team.

Why would any FB be able to handle him easily? Good in the air, can turn and shoot and has good vision. None of that has changed in the last six months. At CF as you're suggesting his lack of speed would be exposed far more and he'd have to mark a player he probably isn't fit to and we'd be getting an extra player thundering down the central channel at our defence.

Much like AOS in Mayo, with Donie you have to be very careful with the match-ups as I've seen big lads like Donie and AOS burnt so many times on the defensive it's not even funny.

The defensive danger is a fair assessment, as he's not quick enough to catch someone while tracking back, but I've not seen it happen when he plays that role. Out there he gets on the ball a lot and for someone who is such an excellent passer of the ball that's a plus for Roscommon. Plus he adds size and physicality in an area where it's vital.

You mention "vision". In the position I mention he has plenty of it and I think that's because he's too far from goal to shoot, whereas when he's at FF he only thinks of finishing even if it means shooting over his shoulder with two men on him. He's actually quite frustrating in there I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Mexcanelo

Got the tickets today for Sunday. Heading down from Meath to see this one. Should be a great game. Come on the Rossies.

Prediction Roscommon by 7 or 8 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Got the tickets today for Sunday. Heading down from Meath to see this one. Should be a great game. Come on the Rossies.

Prediction Roscommon by 7 or 8 points.
    Ah yes ignore the replies to your previous posts, claim you are going Sunday,leave a bold prediction and run :D:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Mexcanelo

Why wouldn't I go? £10 tickets to see Roscommon relegate thoes Mayo bastards. I wouldn't miss that. If anything I'm being conservative in my prediction.
    This is not going to go well for Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

How is the pitch holding up under all the rain we are getting any talk of it being switched?

Why wouldn't I go? £10 tickets to see Roscommon relegate thoes Mayo bastards. I wouldn't miss that. If anything I'm being conservative in my prediction.
    This is not going to go well for Mayo.

You need Monaghan to win to relegate those Mayo bastards.
    Remember that.
    Roscommon can't do it on their own no matter how much their fans would like to.

So even though your £10 will get you a hard nosed game of ball and perhaps a Roscommon win, it is not guaranteed to get you the relegation you so much desire.

• Advertisement

You need Monaghan to win to relegate those Mayo bastards.
    Remember that.
    Roscommon can't do it on their own no matter how much their fans would like to.

So even though your £10 will get you a hard nosed game of ball and perhaps a Roscommon win, it is not guaranteed to get you the relegation you so much desire.

'Fans'.

I suppose it's an improvement over 'customers'.

Advertisement