Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JNLR 1 May 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭jmcc

Big increases for Lyric and for Marty Whelan. Clear proof the station has sold its soul to the devil. Most depressing.
    To regain any self respect, the management must implement strategies to get their listenership back to a value of 'below, but close to, 2%'.
    Tubridy losing listeners to Tubridy-lite? Guess one of them might be for the chop or moved around the schedule.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Uepped wrote: »
    I think the jnlr's are a load of bull****, Every radio station claims to be "Irelands fastest growing station"

Your issue is more with marketing spin than the actual survey tbh. All stations are going to try and extract something from the figures that they can shout about, s'just how it goes.
    What does it mean for that heap of shoite Breakfast Republic on 2FM??

Nothing. It's a general consensus that it takes 6-9 months (i.e, 2-3 JNLR books) to get a good read on how a show is doing. Breakfast Republic has been on air for about a month, so way too early to draw any meaningful conclusions.
    It looks like the general decline of radio listenership is continuing. More and more people are tuning out.

You'd wonder how many are tuning out completely as opposed to moving to podcasts, listen back, stations outside their area, etc.

For instance, judging by the Ray Foley Show thread, there's a fair few of us that listen to Foley on the 98 site or through podcasts, but we wouldn't be counted in JNLR figures.

Not saying it'd be a MASSIVE contingent or anything, would just be curious to see a study done on it or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

blue4ever wrote: »
    Whats a load of my bo11ox that article is: You know, I saw the headline here on the Boards and said to myself 'that has to be an Indo article' ............which it was.

And I quote:

"And it looks like radio listeners are switching the dial to Newstalk to follow broadcaster Pat Kenny"

Is this, as they call it in TV, 'scripted reality'? - here - write this, and use your the bosses punchline! Switch the script please!

I've nothing against any station and actually think that Pat jumping ship was a breath of fresh air to the morning market. But the article leaves a lot to be desired, especially in terms of balance (the opening few pars anyway - the rest is fine.......)

Just reread the article; does one "switch" a dial?!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Travismccoy

They are dominant. But, it's the second book in a row that they've lost chunks. So...not "another great day".

I saw it on a Twitter stream that's on Radio Today.

Edit: apologies - it wasn't a tweet. Radio Today was quoting "Group Programme Director" Dave Kelly whom, it appears, they directly spoke to.

Fair enough. I wouldn't worry too much about what Radio Today says though, Enda Caldwell is one of their main writers as far as I know.

We must be looking at different books. My one says they increased market share today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Your issue is more with marketing spin than the actual survey tbh. All stations are going to try and extract something from the figures that they can shout about, s'just how it goes.

Nothing. It's a general consensus that it takes 6-9 months (i.e, 2-3 JNLR books) to get a good read on how a show is doing. Breakfast Republic has been on air for about a month, so way too early to draw any meaningful conclusions.

You'd wonder how many are tuning out completely as opposed to moving to podcasts, listen back, stations outside their area, etc.

For instance, judging by the Ray Foley Show thread, there's a fair few of us that listen to Foley on the 98 site or through podcasts, but we wouldn't be counted in JNLR figures.

Not saying it'd be a MASSIVE contingent or anything, would just be curious to see a study done on it or something.

Given that it's a survey, I suspect listening online is taken into account? I could be wrong on that.

People that like their music and don't want to listen to ads, the news etc have moved onto outlets to get their music fix on their daily commute. I think talk radio has a better future than 'music' radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 RadioCritic

Fair enough. I wouldn't worry too much about what Radio Today says though, Enda Caldwell is one of their main writers as far as I know.

Enda doesn't do any writing on Radio Today, it's all written by the owner Roy Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

blue4ever wrote: »
    Whats a load of my bo11ox that article is: You know, I saw the headline here on the Boards and said to myself 'that has to be an Indo article' ............which it was.

And I quote:

"And it looks like radio listeners are switching the dial to Newstalk to follow broadcaster Pat Kenny"

Is this, as they call it in TV, 'scripted reality'? - here - write this, and use your the bosses punchline! Switch the script please!

I've nothing against any station and actually think that Pat jumping ship was a breath of fresh air to the morning market. But the article leaves a lot to be desired, especially in terms of balance (the opening few pars anyway - the rest is fine.......)

Sure who owns both?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Given that it's a survey, I suspect listening online is taken into account? I could be wrong on that.

Think this came up previously and it's FM only or something. Ray Foley used always say stuff like "We love our podcast listeners and people who listen online, but ye're not worth a sh*te to us." back on the Today FM podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Think this came up previously and it's FM only or something. Ray Foley used always say stuff like "We love our podcast listeners and people who listen online, but ye're not worth a sh*te to us." back on the Today FM podcasts.

I could be completely wrong, but I suspect Ray Foley's Podcasts don't count for the JNLR because they are have different content to the regular show. They don't feature the adverts which are broadcast on the radio, so advertisers don't really care how many people are listening to them.

But if you were listening to the show online in realtime and had to sit through the ads (and live in their catchment area) would that not count to the JNLR?

If they don't, you would wonder why any of the commercial stations bother with their streams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

jmcc wrote: »
    Tubridy losing listeners to Tubridy-lite? Guess one of them might be for the chop or moved around the schedule.

Regards...jmcc

No interest in what they do with Tubs. Its only booting Marto Il Magnifico out of Lyric that will give Ireland's cultural soul a chance of redemption. O for a hero of pure heart in the Lyric management willing to pick up the spear?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RadioAnalyst

Out of the country again this week so my 2p worth on the JNLR is particularly late this time around.

As always, total respect to Conor at ilevel.ie for the graphs and the breakdowns.

Let's get straight to the Good book/Bad Book detail. As always, my thoughts focus on the Dublin area although I am happy to answer any questions on other areas that I can. My DOI is that I work in the Sales/Marketing world but not directly in Radio. Most of my comparisons are book on book or based on trends rather than the (equally valid!) ilevel model which is based Year on Year.

Bad book for Radio in general again. Although there was a small increase in some sectors this time around, the continueing drop off in Radio listening among 15-24 year olds continues and that has now extended to the 15-34 year old group as well. Taking a quick look at two years ago for instance - 78% of 15-24 year olds and 81% of 15-34 year olds were listening to FM radio. 74% of 15-24 year olds now listen to FM radio and 75% of 15-34 year olds tune in. Radio listenership is steady, but only with the older 35s. Radio (stations or regulator) continue to do nothing about it.

Good book for Newstalk this time around as was to be expected with the arrival of Pat Kenny. The reappearance of Ivan Yates can't be underestimated either though, the 0.7% increase in share is very commendable. Upstairs in Marconi the picture is not so good. Today FM continues to trend downwards in the capital and is losing about .6% a year which is not good when you consider their share is only 5.8% now. There is a tough task ahead for the new PD and of course the new Group PD too. The man with the chequebook will not be happy at all if Today FM is overtaken in the next book by 2FM who are now only 0.1% behind.

Better book for 98FM who have at least arrested the decline in share this time around. They have slipped another notch behind 2FM though which will not go down well. Three years ago, 98's share was up around the 12% mark. There is a significant 'soft' audience listening to other stations though, so there is plenty of market share up for grabs. Spin tend to bounce up and down between 6-7% and continue that this time around. Their problem, as mentioned above is that their new audience isn't just not listening to them, it's not listening at all.

Over the river to UTV HQ now and while 104 showed a continuing drop in reach, they continue to utterly dominate the music market in terms of share adding another 0.4% to bring them to 12.5%. Stablemates Q102 have also stopped the rot of recent books by bagging themselves an extra 0.2% to bring them back ot 6.9%, although that is quite some distance short of the peak and they are likely to be damaged if 98FM manage to find the elixir of success at some point.

Around the corner on Castleforbes Road, the best performer amazingly was Sunshine 106.8 who have now managed to increase their share to a very respectable 2.7% which means that they now comfortably outperform their bigger brother in 4FM which has seen it's rise come to a halt with a drop of 0.3% in share. 4FM have the potential to cash in on that 'soft' audience too but it really has been a long fight for them with very little reward. Not such a good book for Nova either who shed a decent chunk (0.4%) of share although they are still at 3.8% which is in itself very impressive. Nova haven't been quite so visible in terms of advertising presence in the last while and perhaps that is a contributing factor.

Finally this is the final time that I will be measuring the performance of Phantom in these summaries. I was a fan of the station for a number of years and even spent money with them in the early licenced years when I was a buyer. The slow and painful demise has not been easy to watch and I still have serious admiration for many of those who were involved there over the years. At least the final book finished on something of a high with an increase in share to 1.0%, doubtless aided by the publicity surrounding it's closure and the fact that the station sounded something like it's old self in the final weeks. What about TXFM? It should get a bump in the short term at least but only time will tell if what TXFM is offering is unique enough to stop it's audience from deserting not just it, but radio. Good luck to them and farewell Phantom.

RadioAnalyst

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Thanks to RadioAnalyst as always, I look forward to those recaps as much as the results themselves.

98 have an interesting one coming up next as we really start to see the difference that wooing Adrian and Jeremy will bring. Looking forward to that one, they have the potential to do damage with their following. If that doesn't work then it's pretty much definitive proof that Dublin listeners follow the steady brand and not the names (though I still think the station as a whole could benefit from more imaginative marketing campaigns/stunts...listeners don't seem to care for minor nuances like 'just good radio') and I don't see what else they can really try if 104 are still as dominant this time next year.

Also happy (well happy is the wrong word, vindicated maybe) to see that what I've been saying for years about online slowly chipping away at overall listenership. I used to get murdered for saying that would happen on Radiowaves. The mass market only tolerated bland, middle-of-the-road radio because it was the least offensive option. With online becoming big business worldwide, now the public en masse are slowly realising that there's quality stuff out there to suit each individual's personal tastes. And that content doesn't have to be Irish made and it doesn't have to please advertisers either.

That's good news for radio in the long run because eventually the market will force a move away from middle-of-the-road, play-not-to-lose radio and instead ensure that the people calling the shots have the balls to play-to-win and produce quality programming led by talented, creative individuals. Right now, the public are moving away from safe and (relatively) easy radio. PDs would want to get with the programme fast because the technological era doesn't wait around for people to catch up, either be clever enough to spot where the wind is blowing or risk waking up one day with the bottom dropped out of your product. It's really as simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mediajunkie

Considering the amount of advertising done by 98fm the results were dire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Any word on off the ball? Up/down or same as last book?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Off the ball:

41 2014Q1
    43 2013Q4
    43 2103Q1

Book on book and year on year (hat tip to RadioAnalyst!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

As the viewers here like all things radio, I found these yesterday - the RAJAR data for the UK (radio listeners) - the PDF rajar_may_14.pdf is interesting in that it shows the online/DAB listening etc. The other pdf simply lists the reach of the main stations National and London.

C

Advertisement