Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JNLR 1 May 2014

Options
  • 30-04-2014 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

JNLR results are out tomrrow.

The following should be of interest:

1. Pat Kenny's new show on Newtalk
    2. Impact of changes to 2fm
    3. Will 98fm improve?
    4. Will FM104 remain dominant

Anyone any other thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭jmcc

Yeah. Wonder how Tubridy on 2FM and Marty Whelan on LyricFM will do since they are both trying to target the chat radio market? Will LyricFM's figures be good or bad?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I'm interested to see:

- Ray D'Arcy, he lost listeners last time out.

- Ray Foley gained last time, will he still be gaining.

- KC's last book on Today FM, will it be tough for Louise Duffy to follow.

- Tony Fenton has missed chunks of air time, will it affect his listenership.

- Tubridy's figures.

Is it too soon to get a decent read on the Breakfast Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Too early to see impact of changes on 2fm yet, another 3-6 months for a credible initial read of the situation in Montrose. I'd say Kenny will be up again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Yeah, way too early to get an impression of how things are at 2FM. These changes are what, a month old at this point?

I'm gonna be really interested to see:
    - NT Breakfast, has Yates' return boosted it?
    - Pat Kenny and Sean O'Rourke, how has the switch worked?
    - Is Ray Foley still gaining?
    - How's Continuity Off the Ball doing?

Too early to get a read on 2FM, Red FM and Louise Duffy at this stage I'd say. Probably won't get a good picture for at least another book, if not two...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

-Will Newstalk further increase its Share?
    -Will Kenny bring improvements to Breakfast and Lunchtime?
    -Will Moncrieff's audience continue to increase?

Can Arena lose more listeners? Liveline was in-line to overtake Morning Ireland at one stage; will it recover after a poor Q4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Will 98 begin to make a recovery in Dublin?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

FYI, I'm reading everyone's question in a movie trailer voice and pretending they're flashing in front of my eyes in massive writing getting increasingly more frantic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Yay, JNLR time is always interesting. Especially with the great analysis that's often posted by people on here.

I'll be interested to see if 98 have made any gains since the last book, especially Ray Foley. And of course how Pat Kenny/Sean O'Rourke are getting on. Looking forward to having a laugh at 2FM's ridiculous as usual figures and seeing whether the overall radio listenership will decrease or remain steady. Especially interested in seeing an age breakdown of the listenership, and whether it's falling much quicker in younger age brackets etc. Can't remember if that's laid out clearly, or whether we'll just have to make assumptions based on figures for the regionals etc.

Conor? Are you ready?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

:D and willing.........

http://goo.gl/CXQQGw

Cheers

Normal experment in radio stuff

• Advertisement

blue4ever wrote: »
    :D and willing.........

http://goo.gl/CXQQGw

Cheers

Normal experment in radio stuff

I'm disappointed: you were on the hour last time! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Early indications seem to be that Newstalk and 98 have pulled up a little bit. We eagerly await the Analyst's report of the in's and outs of everything :)

-Will Newstalk further increase its Share?
    -Will Kenny bring improvements to Breakfast and Lunchtime?
    -Will Moncrieff's audience continue to increase?

Can Arena lose more listeners? Liveline was in-line to overtake Morning Ireland at one stage; will it recover after a poor Q4?

It's a more interesting book than I thought it would be.

Newstalk increases its National Share by a percentage point (12%).
    To the next two, I think the answers can probably be said to be a Yes and Yes.

If RTE is to make a real commitment to Arts, it must move Arena out of the 7pm slot - it's withering there. Liveline reached saturation a few quarters ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Pat Kenny up 18,000, Sean O'Rourke down 15,000.

A few more things: losses across all the "drivetime" slots. The combined Share of music stations in Dublin down about 8%; has "the youth" migrated elsewhere? I'm sorta dubious of Marty Whelan's numbers: such a small (and, therefore, unreliable) percentage of the sample is responsible for the increase, and I can imagine his type of listener "massaging" the truth when responding to the survey, but, ignoring that, he continues to climb. Tubridy - how are you still losing listeners?! It's remarkable that the slots after him should be rising as he is falling. Newstalk will be delighted; 2FM overtaking Today in Dublin seems more than achievable.

Thanks as always, blue4ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Big drop for Joe Duffy.

FM104 on Twitter:

"Another great day for us here in Macken House with FM104 continuing to dominate the Dublin radio market..."

Erm... :rolleyes:

This is the first article, I think: Radio wars: Pat Kenny climbs 18,000 listeners while Sean O'Rourke falls by 15,000 | Irish Independent.

It is so appallingly misleading. I think our media is unique in so prominently reporting every survey. And, if they're going to, they should at least have someone with a vague knowledge of the survey write the piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I can't find Nova's figures? All Dublin stations have taken a hit. 4fm not looking great.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Travismccoy

FM104 on Twitter:

"Another great day for us here in Macken House with FM104 continuing to dominate the Dublin radio market..."

Erm... :rolleyes:

Can you post a link to that tweet please? I can't find it. Is 12%+ market share (the highest for a music station in Dublin) not dominant, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Uepped

I think the jnlr's are a load of bull****, Every radio station claims to be "Irelands fastest growing station"

• Site Banned Posts: 21 King of Pork

What does it mean for that heap of shoite Breakfast Republic on 2FM??

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Greyham

Uepped wrote: »
    I think the jnlr's are a load of bull****, Every radio station claims to be "Irelands fastest growing station"

Yea, that's generally only a shtick the newer ones use though.

If one year you have 500 listeners and then next year you have 1,000? You increased by 100%?

Well boyhowdy, you're Ireland's fastest growing radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It looks like the general decline of radio listenership is continuing. More and more people are tuning out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Good gain for Newstalk Breakfast and a drop for Hook !

Can you post a link to that tweet please? I can't find it. Is 12%+ market share (the highest for a music station in Dublin) not dominant, no?

They are dominant. But, it's the second book in a row that they've lost chunks. So...not "another great day".

I saw it on a Twitter stream that's on Radio Today.

Edit: apologies - it wasn't a tweet. Radio Today was quoting "Group Programme Director" Dave Kelly whom, it appears, they directly spoke to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Big increases for Lyric and for Marty Whelan. Clear proof the station has sold its soul to the devil. Most depressing.
    To regain any self respect, the management must implement strategies to get their listenership back to a value of 'below, but close to, 2%'.

This is the first article, I think: Radio wars: Pat Kenny climbs 18,000 listeners while Sean O'Rourke falls by 15,000 | Irish Independent.

It is so appallingly misleading. I think our media is unique in so prominently reporting every survey. And, if they're going to, they should at least have someone with a vague knowledge of the survey write the piece.

Whats a load of my bo11ox that article is: You know, I saw the headline here on the Boards and said to myself 'that has to be an Indo article' ............which it was.

And I quote:

"And it looks like radio listeners are switching the dial to Newstalk to follow broadcaster Pat Kenny"

Is this, as they call it in TV, 'scripted reality'? - here - write this, and use your the bosses punchline! Switch the script please!

I've nothing against any station and actually think that Pat jumping ship was a breath of fresh air to the morning market. But the article leaves a lot to be desired, especially in terms of balance (the opening few pars anyway - the rest is fine.......)

blue4ever wrote: »
    Whats a load of my bo11ox that article is: You know, I saw the headline here on the Boards and said to myself 'that has to be an Indo article' ............which it was.

And I quote:

"And it looks like radio listeners are switching the dial to Newstalk to follow broadcaster Pat Kenny"

Is this, as they call it in TV, 'scripted reality'? - here - write this, and use your the bosses punchline! Switch the script please!

I've nothing against any station and actually think that Pat jumping ship was a breath of fresh air to the morning market. But the article leaves a lot to be desired, especially in terms of balance (the opening few pars anyway - the rest is fine.......)

I think Laura Slattery in the IT is very good. This is her effort: Newstalk adds listeners but Radio 1 holds its own | Irish Times.

• Advertisement

yea - that's fair enough

Advertisement