Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing inventions

Options
  • 26-11-2007 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

Do you ever think that there are inventions which should be around by now, but for some reason they are not?

I don't mean like flying cars, but inventions we have technology for, they are fairly obvious, but for some reason they are not here?

One example would be a central locking for houses. I mean, they can't be that difficult to sort out, i think we have the technlogy and it would be very handy, and yet - nothing. Few little engines in doors and windows, few sensors and we are in business. Maybe someone knows the reson it's not out there?

Is there anything else you can think of, something we have technilogy for, it would be usefull but it's not there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

A means of stabbing stupid people over the Internet. We have the Internet and we have knives. I mean, what's the hold-up, eggheads?!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Some sort of teleportation, even for small objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

A cure for AIDS, cancer & the common cold.
    A pill to instantly stop hangovers.
    And so much for the paperless office we were all told about!

Bloody lazy scientists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Lights bulbs that last forever. Its defiantly possible and wouldn't cost a fortune. (the answer given by bulb companies) but if they sell a bulb that lasts for ever, they'll go out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

A device that lets you type with your mind. Surely it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Cars that run on distilled water. (probably mentioned already in Conspiracy Theories).

keefg wrote: »
    A pill to instantly stop hangovers.

About 10 years ago, there was a pill announced that would completely cure a hangover in minutes. It was stopped, because they said the negative affects of alcohol are important to stop alcohol abuse.
    I was living in England when this came out, so i assume it was the English government who stopped it.

A-Trak wrote: »

Theres one pretty close to that, it lets you type through tiny movements in your eyes. Costs €10,000.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A-Trak wrote: »

All ready done but it's a little crap at the moment. It's basically a virtual keyboard and you think which way you want to move the cursor (up, down, left and right). It's pretty slow and it requires you to wear a stupid hat like thing that covers most of your head. I'll try and find a link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Duiske wrote: »
    Cars that run on distilled water. (probably mentioned already in Conspiracy Theories).

Car that runs on anything other than petrol, car that would be affordable, efficient and you wouldn't have to charge it every 20 miles. Surely that should be around by know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭dior1catboy

Duiske wrote: »

Why distilled? Would tap water not be cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

a non-profit driven economic system: build your ligthbulbs at the cost of labour and materials then when everyone has theyre feckin lightbulb you fabricate other things. Innovate!

Pills that can stop drug adiction (tobacco, cocaine etc), I'd give them to my kids before they get a chance to try anything and get hooked.

No addicts & (a lot of) petty crime = no pushers = no drugs barons = less crime.
    Would put an end to a major cause of crime in one easy hit. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Theres one pretty close to that, it lets you type through tiny movements in your eyes. Costs €10,000.
    All ready done but it's a little crap at the moment. It's basically a virtual keyboard and you think which way you want to move the cursor (up, down, left and right). It's pretty slow and it requires you to wear a stupid hat like thing that covers most of your head. I'll try and find a link.

And her I am like a sucker using my hands.

€10,000? pfft. Money well spent. I'll easily make that back in raises and bonuses due to my awesome productivity due to having loads more time as I'm not typing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

An alarm in your umbrella that goes off as soon as you leave it behind in the cafe/restaurant/shop/surgery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

E-voting:D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

ojewriej wrote: »
    One example would be a central locking for houses. I mean, they can't be that difficult to sort out, i think we have the technlogy and it would be very handy, and yet - nothing. Few little engines in doors and windows, few sensors and we are in business. Maybe someone knows the reson it's not out there?

Thats pretty weird because I was talking with a friend of mine who had come up with this idea a few days ago and was trying to find out if there is already something out there. Not sure if he found any thing. Just weird he comes up with it and a few days later you come up with the same idea!!! :D:):D

Karoma wrote: »
    A means of stabbing stupid people over the Internet. We have the Internet and we have knives. I mean, what's the hold-up, eggheads?!

Haha brilliant! I'd buy that for a dollar!!! :D;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

A system in your umbrella that gives the user an electric shock or any other sort of ohysical punishment for being a prick and using one.
    Sorry, i just hate the yokes.:mad:
    Buy a jacket

pd101 wrote: »
    E-voting:D

Couldn't let that go without a ...

Thats pretty weird because I was talking with a friend of mine who had come up with this idea a few days ago and was trying to find out if there is already something out there. Not sure if he found any thing. Just weird he comes up with it and a few days later you come up with the same idea!!! :D:):D

That's what i mean - it's a fairly obvous idea, not overly complicated, how come it's not out there then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

One example would be a central locking for houses.
    how come it's not out there then?

http://www.keylesspro.com/
    First item on google

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

those toilets that they have in Japan that basically wipe and clean your ass for you after taking a ****. seriously why aren't they the standard?

Senna wrote: »
    First item on google

Yeah, it's just that it's some company in states, you have to order them, then get installed, and you don't really know how reliable they are.

It should be standard by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

how the **** has "Jurrasic Park" not become a reality yet?

they show you how to do it in the movie.

somethin about frogs and insects caught in tree sap...

Senna wrote: »
    First item on google

I just noticed - it's not actually central locking, just remote locking.
    Central part is the one i'm interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Central part is the one i'm interested in.

I'm probably gonna come off as a tick here but whats the difference? Like central lock all the doors at once around the house???

I'm probably gonna come off as a tick here but whats the difference? Like central lock all the doors at once around the house???

yeah, like in the car, press the button and presto, alll the doors/windows locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

Dudess wrote: »
    An alarm in your umbrella that goes off as soon as you leave it behind in the cafe/restaurant/shop/surgery etc.

Execllent idea, I've already lost two umbrella's this year,by leaving them behind me on the train.
    DavyD_83 wrote: »
    A system in your umbrella that gives the user an electric shock or any other sort of ohysical punishment for being a prick and using one.
    Sorry, i just hate the yokes.:mad:
    Buy a jacket

I do have a jacket,but umbrellas are better than jackets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    They were going to use that system on the Apollo missions to the moon, bu the astronauts kept looking all over the place turning switches on and off.

have a look at this for those of you with lazyitis http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/

Advertisement