Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Made me laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

My dog usually doesn't eat all his food, eats about 60% and snacks on it the rest of the night/day but these past few nights he's been eating it all in one go, been much more hungry than usual, anyone else notice it with their dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The change in the weather, maybe?

Outdoor animals (cats, dogs) tend to look for more food as autumn and then winter creeps in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm entering my two into it for the craic :D

Oh brilliant :D Always nice to see more household pets being entered, I'm going to the pet expo in November to promote showing household pets cos it's so fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

boomerang wrote: »
    The change in the weather, maybe?

Outdoor animals (cats, dogs) tend to look for more food as autumn and then winter creeps in.

Apart from his daily walk and bathroom breaks he's never outside, prefers to stay close to us, or unless he hears hedgehogs outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Poppy is wrecking my head with the loud meowing this time most nights. I love her to bits and we play with her lots and sit with her for minimum half hour sessions 6 or 7 time throughout the day and up until we go to bed. She's got lots of toys and I leave the radio on low for her. We let Toby in to meet her properly today and it went fine. She sat on her blanket in the window while he investigated the room and ate her food, then used her litter box:rolleyes:

I'm getting worried as she's very touchy about her tummy and she's eating like a horse, I am so so hoping that she isn't pregnant. We'll know on Thursday as she's booked in for spay, vaccinations and microchipping. Fingers crossed that she's not preggers or there'll be 2 nervous breakdowns in our house:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Oh brilliant :D Always nice to see more household pets being entered, I'm going to the pet expo in November to promote showing household pets cos it's so fun :D

Yeah it seems fun thats why im going! and to look at all the pretty kittys haha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Sarannewrap, saw the pic of your two in the boxes, winners for sure!
    Beautiful kitties.
    I'd love to go to, my daughter wanted to go to the dublin one, but not sure if our oldies would like such a long day. Both would love the attention, but neither travel well, dublins a bit far.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Busy and expensive time for the doggies at the minute. Had Tara at the vet yesterday to get her glands done and unfortunately for her one was a little infected. she was so not impressed having to firstly suffer the indignity:D and then have to have a couple of injections.

She is also off to get microchipped on friday, thankfully managed to get one of the free ones.

Rusty has been booked into the groomers for next week, he will hate me for at least a week - he hates being groomed:o

Will post before and after photos - he always looks like a different dog when he comes home:eek:

• Advertisement

We brought Felix in to meet Poppy last night. He was really shy about going into her room for some reason, but came in eventually. All was going fine for a few minutes til she jumped down from the window ledge, came over and gave him an almighty hiss in the face. All 2.5/3 kilos of her to his 8.something scary or other kilos. Poor chap hissed back at her and reversed out the door:D

They had another good hiss at each other through the gate on the door this morning. I wonder if it's because he's the top male cat and she's a female? Toby seems to like her though and she doesn't mind him going into the room while one of us is there too. Jazzy is still too shy to go in the room but she doesn't seem bothered by him, maybe because his scent is all over the room, it's his room really and he wants it back:)

mymo wrote: »
    Sarannewrap, saw the pic of your two in the boxes, winners for sure!
    Beautiful kitties.
    I'd love to go to, my daughter wanted to go to the dublin one, but not sure if our oldies would like such a long day. Both would love the attention, but neither travel well, dublins a bit far.

Most shows are in Dublin, but there are some in Cork (which was last weekend I think), Limerick (usually in February) and up north a few times a year! Even if you don't bring the cats with you it's usually a good idea to go along and watch just to get an idea of it before you go entering yourself :)

Dublin is the nearest to us down here, why none in the southeast?
    We'll get there one day. When is the one you entered on?
    Might sneak up to check those kitties are as cuddly as they look!

Dublin is the nearest to us down here, why none in the southeast?
    We'll get there one day. When is the one you entered on?
    Might sneak up to check those kitties are as cuddly as they look!

It's on the 20th of October I'm pretty sure, in the Maldron in tallaght! I think the 2 big cats are very much looking forward to a break from the Dudester for a night!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Had to bring Isabella to the vet again this evening. Poor thing really didn't like it. We thought she had problems with her teeth or something. Turns out that she has a respiratory problem, so she got a shot of antibiotic and we have more to give her in her food to hopefully clear it up. Poor thing. She's getting on, I just want to make sure she's comfortable now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

So sorry to hear that. Fingers and paws crossed for her here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Wowzers... I sent Bailey's thyroid blood test results to this lab in US for interpretation. Replied in 2 hours with their opinion as well as documents with FAQs and studies etc. Amazed by the response from them and confirms my suspicions. I had half of my thyroid and attached mass removed 4 years ago so a bit weirdy that he has a problem too lol!

I didn't manage to pass my repeat OSCE so I still can't call myself a veterinary nurse :( Will be repeating it again next Summer so hopefully it will go okay then! But I did manage to pass biochemistry, so that in itself is an outstanding achievement for me since I failed it 3 times :pac: Does anyone know of any animal related jobs going so I can keep my skills up? :P

Congratulations and boo to OSCE (whatever that is)!

Just got a message from my boss saying it's been confirmed that her 6 month old pup and it's brother both have parvovirus :(
    Both are fully vacc'd too, my two are out about 3 months now so booked them in for boosters tomorrow.
    Poor pups, both in same vets, really sick, hope they pull through, they are adorable, their owners and families would be heart broken.
    Anyone reading in Kilkenny area, they aren't the only ones with it either, seems to be a small outbreak.

tk123 wrote: »
    Wowzers... I sent Bailey's thyroid blood test results to this lab in US for interpretation. Replied in 2 hours with their opinion as well as documents with FAQs and studies etc. Amazed by the response from them and confirms my suspicions. I had half of my thyroid and attached mass removed 4 years ago so a bit weirdy that he has a problem too lol!

:mad: and no response from the vet after mailing the reports etc to them at lunchtime. A bit annoyed - I must have spent €500 with all these blood tests and it looks like their lab has been wrong on both occasions - the pancreatitis thing that had us in tears thinking he was dying and now this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Congratulations and boo to OSCE (whatever that is)!

Just got a message from my boss saying it's been confirmed that her 6 month old pup and it's brother both have parvovirus :(
    Both are fully vacc'd too, my two are out about 3 months now so booked them in for boosters tomorrow.
    Poor pups, both in same vets, really sick, hope they pull through, they are adorable, their owners and families would be heart broken.
    Anyone reading in Kilkenny area, they aren't the only ones with it either, seems to be a small outbreak.

I've been hearing there's quite a bit of parvo around unfortunately. A dog that went to a major dog show in Darlington in the UK was confirmed, and I did hear of another at the same show, British dogs, but there were a lot of Irish dogs at that show, so let's hope none of them have carried a new strain back here. Very ironic if that happened, with the new rabies and passport rules!

• Advertisement

Thankfully neither went down as bad as you would expect, there was only a trace of blood too, one dog is on day 5 now and she's still with us, her brother is on day two, fingers crossed for the poor babies, they are such sweeties, vet only tested them today.
    Everything is being disinfected around their homes now, scary to think this can happen to fully vacc'd dogs.

I'm bringing Poppy in for spaying, microchipping and vaccination in the morning. Dreading getting her into the carrier in the morning. It's a 2 person job getting her into it so she'll have to be in there from 7ish til we get her to the vet at 9:( Hoping she isn't preggers.

I came down this morning and saw bits of chicken slice laying around so my husband gave the 3 chaps some before he left, I wondered why they hadn't eaten it, usually one of them will gobble it. Anyway picked a bit up and had a sniff in case it was off, turns out he'd grabbed my Quorn imitation chicken by mistake:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

:eek::eek:<
    Literally my face 10 minutes ago. Eddie brought home his first "present" this evening....a headless rat. He's totally hyper now. Yuuuuck and there's bits all over my cream rug!!! Beanie was never a hunter, so had forgotten about this lovely cat trait till now.

Wait til you find one on your pillow at bed time!
    (Need a puke smiley)
    I had to change the bedding and threw the pillow out that night!

Wait til you find one on your pillow at bed time!
    Ah stop will ya :o:o

anniehoo wrote: »
    :eek::eek:<
    Literally my face 10 minutes ago. Eddie brought home his first "present" this evening....a headless rat. He's totally hyper now. Yuuuuck and there's bits all over my cream rug!!! Beanie was never a hunter, so had forgotten about this lovely cat trait till now.

Gross!! I'd puke!! There's obviously a fox/badger (or possibly the stray dogs) in work - a dead rabbit on the grass the last few days - gruesome to say the least :(

So we managed to get Poppy in the carrier, really it's a big portable soft dog crate so she's lots of room. Typically she wouldn't have a poop this morning despite us running her around with toys for an hour:rolleyes: She's doing all the mournful meowing and trying to break out of her carrier:(

Typically she wouldn't have a poop this morning despite us running her around with toys for an hour:rolleyes: (

That drives me mad - I like them to have wee'd and poo'd before they get weighted - every gram counts! :p

Yep every gram counts, Felix was 8. something kilos when we brought him in a week or two ago:o Every time he goes to the vet there's a minor domestic over his weight:D Every time I'm hoping he's lost a few pounds but he's always gained some, I really wish people wouldn't feed him, he clearly doesn't need any extra meals and you couldn't think he was a stray.

I've only just sat down, am trying to keep busy til I call the vet at 2.30, at least I got to give her room a good hoover and tidy up. Poor Toby is missing her and got upset with all the meowing she was doing in the carrier for an hour and a half, my husband leaves for work at 7.30 and I wouldn't have been able to get her in myself. He never left the pet gate keeping her company:)

some, I really wish people wouldn't feed him,
    THIS!! I banned everyone from treating Bailey, gave 1/3 less meat and more veg and he lost 2kg. And I still have people giving him treats on the sly :rolleyes: No word from the vet yet..will probably end up taking to the owner at this rate! :mad:

• Advertisement

Exactly, we've cut right down on the amount of wet food that he gets, if they have chicken or fish it's given instead of the pouch of food. We free feed Applaws kibble, but it's one bowl that the 3 boys share. So it's neighbours that are the problem. I think my vet sees me as one of those 'feeders' that enjoy fattening others up:D

Collecting Poppy in half an hour. Vet nurse said when they clipped her fur there was an obvious scar where she'd been spayed, so at least she won't be sore. I don't know why people abandon animals, I'll never understand why.

I think she might have come from a violent home as when we were in the room with her the other night my husband was giving out about something at work and raised his voice when he was telling me about it, well she went nuts and started crying and trying to climb out the tiny gap where the window was left on the latch:(

How in the Hell can an experienced veterinary nurse describe a 3.5 kilo adult female cat as 'FAT'? ffs am furious, just one of several bad experiences today at my vets. Didn't see our usual vet and I'll definitely be speaking to the head chap next week:mad:

You should try my vet, he reckons my lot are puuurrrfect.
    Couldn't believe jake is 12.5 years old, said he wished they were all like him (he's a big softy who purrs no matter what you do), then jake sneezed a big snot on him :D

Bosses dog still very sick, hope she pulls through, poor little baby has the sweetest face.

(I think jake is a bit flabby, Tiffi also needs to loose a bit, but he still said she was fine)

I know the boys are on the large side, especially Felix, but she's tiny. It wasn't just that though, usually my vet practice is excellent but I don't know what the Hell was going on today. I don't really want to say much about it until I speak to the chap who owns the practice next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

My female cat is around 3.5 and perfectly petite. Perhaps the nurse was having a fat day herself? :D

Oops I'm being a bit of a customer from hell atm with my vet - I apologized to the nurse/receptionist earlier since she's the one who always seems to answer when I call! :p

I'm very shocked at that Pumpkinseeds, 3.5kg even on a petite framed adult cat is ok and can be even borderline....very borderline underweight depending on their sex,neutering status and medical history :confused:

**SOB** :p:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

^^^
    ah jaysus tk, me mascara's all over the place!!

Aww what a video!!

Decided today since I can't register as a vet nurse for another year I'm going to do a grooming course and hopefully manage to set up my own studio or at least get a job in a pre existing one, plus it'll be no harm on the aul cv when it comes to applying for nursing jobs! I'll even offer a special discount to all boardsies ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Isabella is doing so much better!!! She didn't need to be coaxed out this evening, came out bright eyed and ate baby food and took her antibiotics after a bit of a fight- which i was delighted to see! Even went for a run around the hall on her own choice. So pleased! We were so worried about her. Still are, but at least she's a lot better and stronger looking!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Coco has harvest mites:(:(

Saw her scratching her belly yesterday and nibbling at her paws. Got a look at her belly last night and it's all red and bitten:(. It's definitely only since yesterday because she rolls over for belly rubs all the time and I would have seen this. Also would have noticed her scratching and nibbling. I put aloe vera on her belly last night and took her for a swim first thing this morning to drown as many of the little gits as I could. Time for the advocate now. Any other tips on how to manage them? Benson doesn't seem affected at all, (I'll treat him anyway to be on the safe side) although he tends to go round shouting at the birds on the walks whereas madam is down in the ditches.

Poor Coco! :( Is there any chance of a pic to compare with my friend's setter who's itchy atm too but they're not sure what it is?

Keep them dry, they like moist areas.
    There's a wash you can use I think, can't remember the name, hopefully someone else can.
    Poor coco, my two were miserable with them when they got them few years back. They couldn't get comfortable at all.

• Advertisement

I'm sure it's what my friend's guy has - he was miserable as well but I think his problems are diet related too tbh He see's the vet every few months with ear infections and his body/paws being itchy. Vet throws anti-inflams at him so firefighting instead of looking for the root cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

How's Coco since BLM?

We got a foster today, a little female yorkie. Its bizarre she has Tilly's body and Ozzie's face. She a lovely little thing but so terrified of everything. She has had pups too at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

toadfly wrote: »
    How's Coco since BLM?

We got a foster today, a little female yorkie. Its bizarre she has Tilly's body and Ozzie's face. She a lovely little thing but so terrified of everything. She has had pups too at some stage.

She seems a bit better this morning. We were away all day at a wedding and when I got home last night she didn't seem to be scratching anywhere near as much but was still red. So I slathered on more aloe vera to see would it help and this morning she's nowhere near as red. On Thursday evening she was very clingy, giving us the eyes, almost telling us she was uncomfortable but she's much more relaxed this morning.

If it flares up again I'll get a photo, but I hope not. Hows Lexi today?

I'm laying in bed trying to decide how long I can stay here?
    Dogs and cats are here too, but downstairs is infested!
    We're hiding, but someone will need to go outside soon.

It's a bad one, noisy too, eating everything in sight...

8 teenagers, Star Wars marathon, and I think they just started ROTJ, may be here a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Save yourself. Stay where you are, furry animals invading their space may be accepted. An oulwan definitely not :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement