Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chrome -crashed - won't download, cannot sign in, etc.

Options
  • 25-01-2015 5:01pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Firstly i'm not sure if this is the right forum, but all Google/Google Chrome issues seem to be answered here so if wrong please move to appropriate forum mods.

Last night I had the laptop on beside me as usual. Nothing much doing so I went to download something (i'll leave it at that for fear I break some rule). Went out with the dogs and when I came back in the download was on 24% and paused. Checked my interent signal and it was on "Limited". This happens from time to time so I switched it off and on, but that did not solve it.

Turned it all of, and the laptop and decided to do it in the morning. Woke up, turned on router, laptop, connected to the router/wi-fi, and opened up the download. Started download again, and away it went. In the meantime I said i'll log into Boards and check the forum. Opened up chrome and this is when the problems start.

The page popped up, but would not go to my Google homepage. I clicked on the bookmark for Boards, and nothing. For minutes it just sat there, blank, and never connected. I checked the download and it was flying away so it's not a connection problem. The laptop has Internet Explorer as it's preset search engine. I opened this and all worked fine.

Went back to Chrome and still nothing. Then Norton gave me a pop up window In the bottom corner saying "widevinecdmadaptor has no certificate". I clicked on it, went into Norton and it's an update. So I clicked "trust" and the Google homepage opened in Chrome. At last. Then a second page automatically opened in a new tab. It was a notice from Google Chrome about an update for Adblock. I clicked on the other tab and clicked on the Boards.ie homepage bookmark and once again i'm waiting. For 10 minutes nothing. Then I get "cannot connect to page". I tried going back to Google and nothing again. I tried to log into my Google account and check settings, etc. but I get that image when the page won't load: 6034073 . I went onto settings, extensions, and disabled Norton, Adblock, etc in case they were causing problems.

Tried again and again to get to Google via Chrome, and to log into my Gogle account on Chrome, then all I got was "Timed Out". I closed everything, uninstalled Chrome, and re-installed it. It downloaded, and tried to open, but had the same problems as above. I then noticed all my bookmarks are gone, Adblock is gone, Norton icon is gone. IOW it's the basic version of Chrome. When I go onto settings, I don't have any of my previous extensions to turn back on. So i'm in incognito mode (I think)

I uninstalled it again, and checked my computer for Google folder. I checked for crash reports, etc. and the folder was empty. I uninstalled everything Google related. I then went to Google's page and tried to download Chrome via that site rather than using the "Install Google Chrome" tab that appears when on Google homepage in Internet Explorer. It won't download. So I tried it again, on internet explorer via the tab/pop up and now it won't install.

When I check on my computer under users/"me"/AppDatat/Local/ there is no folder for Google. I think I deleted it by mistake. I'm not in the least bit computer literate so it's possible. However I assumed that downloading Chrome/Google would re-instate or put a new folder there. The old one was 51.1 mb, and now the Google folder only contains a "Crash Report" folder and it's empty.

So basically:
    • I've internet connection
    • I've Internet Explorer/Bing/Yahoo, basically any search engine I want.
    • No Chrome
    • It stopped working for no reason
    • I could not open any page via Chrome
    • I could not log into Google account via chrome
    • Uninstalled & reinstalled it (multiple times)
    • Now it won't download Chrome
    Lastly I went onto Google via Internet Explorer. I logged into my Google account, and said i'd delete my account (action recommended by Goole Forum) and when I was doing it, I got a warning. It listed everything that would bee deleted including Youtube, 23 bookmarks, etc. IOW all the stuff I am missing. So obviously it's still on my account, but as I cannot access that via Chrome, only Internet Explorer, I cannot get to them.

I'm at a loss. The web is useless. It says to try this, and try that. One chap I found said he had the same problem in that he got no help. Only difference is he was computer literate to an expert, but it still took him 3 days to figure out what was wrong. Problem is all the points he mentioned are not an option as the files/folders he discusses are not on my computer.

It's not the end of the world, it's just one of those things that I don't know why it happened, I know I've made it worse, and now I cannot undo what I've done. I even considered a restore, but as said i'm so computer illiterate i'm terrified of doing this in case I put the laptop back to the state it was in when I bought it rather than a recent (if I've even done one) backup/restore point.

I've a Fujitsu laptop, with Windows 8.1.

Any and all help much appreciated.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try to download Chrome via Ninite.com and see if it works.

Nick

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Went onto Ninite.com, selected Chrome, and hit "Get Installer".

That was at 18:02, and it's still showing a small pop up window with "Preparing Set Up" and a scrolling progress bar.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I would say rolling back to a restore point is essential for you right now, just pick the nearest date before last night. It won't delete any important files or anything and should reset everything back to normal. Just to be sure I'd reinstall Chrome too after the system restore.

Tried that Ninite and after 1hr and 2 minutes, nothing.

So, for dummies, where do I look and how to I do a restore? I assume a backup is needed and i'm not sure if I done one, if it "saves" it automatically, etc. Chances are I haven't done it, and i'm in a bit of bother with regards to be able to do a restore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Before doing a system just close anything you have open. You don't need to have a back up file or anything. Its quite simple but takes a few minutes.

all info here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Your pc will shut down and reboot itself, but just give it time to finish, it will tell you if its been successful or not. If not you could try an earlier date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Sounds like:
    1. Your laptop is riddled with malware.
    2. Your internet connection is bad.

Fix 1 by running various anti malware stuff (see other threads). Fix 2 by using cable instead of wifi maybe, and checking if router is overheating. Test internet with another device to rule out problem with laptop.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Before doing a system just close anything you have open. You don't need to have a back up file or anything. Its quite simple but takes a few minutes.
    Done a restore and all files are back. I choose the 23rd of this month (2 days ago) as the problem only started 2am last night/this morning.

Started everything up again, connected to the router, clicked on Chrome shortcut in desktop, and nothing. When I click on the chrome shortcut I get the "progress" dial on my cursor, but Google Chrome does not open.
    srsly78 wrote: »
    Sounds like:
    1. Your laptop is riddled with malware.
    Doubt it. I'm overly cautious and have up to date Norton and other malware/protection. I run scans regularly, and update when needed.
    2. Your internet connection is bad.
    I fail to see how this is the case. When I connect with Internet Explorer it works fine, and when using the home computer/tablet or phone they are run fine.

How would Chrome be affected, when everything else runs fine?
    Fix 1 by running various anti malware stuff (see other threads).
    Already have that, as above.
    Fix 2 by using cable instead of wifi maybe, and checking if router is overheating. Test internet with another device to rule out problem with laptop.
    Already done, as above.

I'm at a loss here. I know i'm not the best person In the world to be describing this fault, but it literally just stopped. From perfect last night before I shut the laptop down, to not working this morning. I don't get it.

I read elsewhere that sometimes it can have a "breakdown" if one or more versions of it are stored. IOW it cannot update or deal with multiple old versions. I checked the folder, now the restore is done, and this is what I have under Chrome.

op wrote:
    Checked my interent signal and it was on "Limited". This happens from time to time so I switched it off and on, but that did not solve it.

This means your internet connection is unreliable, so downloads etc might get corrupted. Do you have weak wifi signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Had similar problem with Google Chrome and we simply deleted it completely in control panel - progammes .

downloaded Firefox , and problem solved

srsly78 wrote: »
    This means your internet connection is unreliable, so downloads etc might get corrupted. Do you have weak wifi signal?

Gothca now.

Yes. My internet signal can go as low as 1 - 14 kbps with the highest I've ever gotten of 1.2mbps. Average of 250 kb/ps.

Last night the speed was at 650kb/ps when I left it. The file was 702mb, and I was gone for about 8 minutes. When I came back it had gone to 0.0 - 0.5 kb/ps. IOW not downloading at all. It was then I noticed he "warning" in my signal icon. I paused the download, disconnected and reconnected to the router.

That did not work. So I cancelled the download, and turned off the router. This morning at 10am I turned it back on, opened the laptop, started it up, connected to the router (the warning was now gone), and started the download. Speed varied from 390kb/ps to 559kb/ps, but it downloaded in 22 minutes.

When I was waiting I clicked on The Google Chrome icon, and that is when the fun started.

• Advertisement

Try using a cable instead of wifi. If your internet is that bad using a cable then you have bigger problems than google chrome.

I don't use a cable at all.

I live in the middle of absolutely nowhere. The ONLY provider to offer a service and mostly consistent service is Three. With the dongle it was fairly bad most of the time. I upgraded to a wireless router and the speeds increased, and I can contact everything wirelessly.

I say this because I have the router where it gets the best signal. The cable would have to be 18 ft to reach any computer. Either that or suspends the computer from wires to reach the router via the cable.

I have used the internet in this manner, for the last 6 years. It's only gotten better in the last few months.

The problem, usually, is not internet connection. This si the first time in 6 years I've had this issue, and had it with any computer whether connected to the net or not.

As i'm writing this i'm downloading further updates to Norton. The average speed, like last night, is 381 kb/ps.

The only thing i'm looking for is to try and correct whatever has gone on with Chrome. That I can fix or get fixed. The internet situation I cannot. no other provider can cover me where I am so it's a moot point.

Well that sucks. 3 do not provide broadband, just an unreliable mobile internet connection. Using wifi adds yet another possible weak link to the chain. Norton also sucks, it causes more problems than it solves - at least this is something you can fix tho.

Try using this to properly uninstall chrome, then reinstall again: https://www.google.com/chrome/srt/

I know, I know.

Thing is i'm not being modest or coy. I truly only know the very basics of using a computer, not fixing or the inner workings of them. I have no other option than three and it's either them or no internet. The annoying part is the town 5 miles from me has speeds of 24mbps. I was told by every other provider that the line either does not support it or If I want to pay €39,471 to run a line that is an option for me.

So i'm weighing that up at the moment. :rolleyes:

I'm dreading the thoughts of uninstalling, and ending up back where I was at 2pm today. Nowhere.

Gonna see if I can find that article about too many folders/files for chrome and see if I can sort something out now that I have all the files back.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddd, i'm back.

All sorted.

After doing the system restore i found the article i referenced above. I went into the proper folder and ffound there were 4 or so versions of chrome. According to the article Google Chrome runs two at the same time to allow for updates while not interfering with the browser.

I copied everything, and put a backup on my D drive. I then went back into the folder, deleted the oldest versions of Chrome, and left only the two newest ones. I then uninstalled Chrome, filled out the "survey" on Internet explorer that popped up, and then followed the link on internet explorer to re-install it. This is where i normally hit a brick wall, but low and behold it worked. I downloaded, brought me through the setup process, installed shortcuts, put my bookmarks back, etc, etc.

So moral of the story. Close your browser more often. This occurred, according to the article, because the chap involved does the same as me. He closes the laptop each night, putting it into sleep mode, but only shuts down every few weeks, if that.

Thanks everyone for their input. That only took 12.5 hours. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Now get rid of Norton. If you have Windows 8 or higher, there is a built-in Defender included. There may be conflicts between Norton and it.

Why?

Norton was not the cause.

Now get rid of Norton. If you have Windows 8 or higher, there is a built-in Defender included. There may be conflicts between Norton and it.

Mod: Helpful advice only please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

In fairness getting rid of Norton is helpful advice - the built in windows security essentials pack is much better and it works smoothly with windows.

Well done OP on sorting the problem - who said you're not computer literate ! ?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

the_monkey wrote: »
    In fairness getting rid of Norton is helpful advice - the built in windows security essentials pack is much better and it works smoothly with windows.

Have you a source for this?

Norton has been very good in recent years (assuming it's not Norton 360), and Security Essentials scores so low in AV tests that it's considered a baseline rather than a competitive antivirus product, even by Microsoft themselves.

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »

Please review the charter, in particular:
    Not answering the question asked
    If people are having issues with their current machine please do not post "Get Windows", "Get Google Chrome", "Get a Mac" etc. type responses. These are neither helpful to the user or a solution.
    It may be helpful advice in another thread, but not here.
    Glad to hear you got the issue sorted op! :)

Nick

Just an update, and chance to pick yer brains.

The resolution to the problem above only lasted a few days to a week and went belly up again. Chrome would not open, etc, etc. I uninstalled, reinstalled, etc. Multiple times. Internet signal is good, but nothing. It simply won't work. Won't even open.

So i've cleared it off my computer altogether and installed Firefox. It's a bit different, and i've had a few teething problems with it which were reminiscent of the problems with Chrome, but it stays working. I've searched online, everywhere and cannot find a solution.

I think i said this above, but if not, it all started shortly after i moved to windows 8.1. not a bother with the computer or any program until i switched from 8, but because i had no back up or restore point before the upgrade i'm stuck with it.

Advertisement