Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've never been next or near LIT, but I know it's a vastly inferior institution to UL and its students deserve not but derision for their failure to gain admission to the hallowed halls of this fine place.

:P

CTYI, if she's into music, MMPT might be something to look into. It's a far more computer-y course but with sort of a focus on music. (Might be completely different to what she wants to do, but shur said I'd say it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I wouldn't touch mmpt if I was your sister. Very little music in it(two modules in first year). Lots of programming and maths, web dev, and media studies. It's sort of like a taster course with bits of everything in it without much focus on anything. I Left after a year and I know a lot of people who've finished it very few of them have gotten much out of it and those who did were working in music as it was before they started. If it's music your sister is into . The music production course out in l.I.t is probably a much wiser choice.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Thanks lads! It's between Music Production in LIT and MMPT in UL. We were at both open days (those shuttle buses are godsends!) and she wasn't impressed with the MMPT. Glad to hear people's views for it!

Cigarettes and coffee; a wholesome and nutritious start to any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Cigarettes and coffee; a wholesome and nutritious start to any day.

Especially when your start is 3pm? :pac:

• Advertisement

pajor wrote: »
    Especially when your start is 3pm? :pac:

when you work nights 3pm becomes your 10am. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=953419541347772

dont think the guy who invented the internet had this in mind.

So we're all going to war with the government over the water charge. I really hope we can fight this. 6-700 for the use of water is a crime against humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Jhcx wrote: »
    So we're all going to war with the government over the water charge. I really hope we can fight this. 6-700 for the use of water is a crime against humanity.
    I don't mind with peoples' right to protest but to be fair putting the blame on the government for the water charges is a bit daft as it wasn't them who signed the agreement with the IMF and the ECB, it was Fianna Fail. They have no choice but to introduce it even if it means suicide for their own political party.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I don't mind with peoples' right to protest but to be fair putting the blame on the government for the water charges is a bit daft as it wasn't them who signed the agreement with the IMF and the ECB, it was Fianna Fail. They have no choice but to introduce it even if it means suicide for their own political party.

Agreeing with everything the Troika said was rather quietly part of FG's election programme too in 2011. People are just getting what they voted for. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Ooooooooh politics in C&H, I like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

pajor wrote: »
    Agreeing with everything the Troika said was rather quietly part of FG's election programme too in 2011. People are just getting what they voted for. :p
    They had no choice but to agree with what the Troika said otherwise we wouldn't have got no funding packages what so ever. We were crippled and people in Ireland have very short memories.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

It's ridiculous that we have to pay to a private company, that we have no choice in suppliers, and that we have to give our personal details to a private company.

I could go on a major rant right now, but I'm gonna be good and not.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I support water charges in theory. Water costs money to supply, get over it.

But Irish Water has been a complete and utter cluster-f*ck since Day 1, and the majority of the blame for that lies with the current coalition IMO. They basically seem to be making crap up as they go along, and charging exorbitant prices to pay for their own set up.

It sort of comes across as the first LPT round 2. Charge something stupid and unfair for the first year, then figure it out properly. As opposed to figuring it out properly before charging anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

We got a letter about water charges (it has the logo thing on the outside of the envelope) in the post to our (college) house last week and it's just sitting on the floor unopened and no one knows what to do about it. Being a responsible adult is great.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    We were crippled and people in Ireland have very short memories.

I didn't vote FG, my conscience is clear. :p:pac:
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I support water charges in theory. Water costs money to supply, get over it.

But Irish Water has been a complete and utter cluster-f*ck since Day 1, and the majority of the blame for that lies with the current coalition IMO. They basically seem to be making crap up as they go along, and charging exorbitant prices to pay for their own set up.

It sort of comes across as the first LPT round 2. Charge something stupid and unfair for the first year, then figure it out properly. As opposed to figuring it out properly before charging anything...

I'd definitely agree. Quality drinking water is a finite resource which costs money to supply. On the October 1st my sister, who lives in Edinburgh texted me asking 'why do Irish people think they're so special??'. I did retort that she has and always will pay a flat charge for water in Scotland.. but anywhoo..

What I mainly hate is the attitude of 'ah sure they'll just pay it anyway' and proverbially keep kicking people while their down. My mum was raging earlier (and rightly so) that 2015 LPT and the first water bill are being charged and have to be paid at about the same time.

Aaand I was just shouting at Brendan Howlin on the radio in the car, when he said that he didn't the people in Irish water had 'an appetite for bonuses' atm. I call utter bs. :mad: If someone puts a cheque for €7000 down in front of you, you're going to take it.

It's our future folks. :pac:

I've no issue with paying for water, because it's going to have to happen. But the charges are so much more expensive than any comparative country in Europe. I DETEST this bloody system.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Slow Show wrote: »
    We got a letter about water charges (it has the logo thing on the outside of the envelope) in the post to our (college) house last week and it's just sitting on the floor unopened and no one knows what to do about it. Being a responsible adult is great.

We're the exact same lol except we opened it and just said nah
    Too many questions that no ones bothered finding out the answer for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

deise_girl wrote: »
    We're the exact same lol except we opened it and just said nah
    Too many questions that no ones bothered finding out the answer for

The same thing happened with the TV license too, eight days later and we apparently had a time span of five days to sort it...

Today (or should I say yesterday) I actually graduated from my college course. Getting that piece of paper saying First Class Honours is just the dog's bollox of feelings. I hope everyone here who is finishing college this year gets to experience the same. Genuine pride in an achievement.

Was savage seeing nearly everyone again, had some good craic tonight.

Just watched another episode of Community. Felt like I was tripping balls, too much random stuff. But man that **** is funny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Just bought an iphone which I really, really didnt need...
    Like Im v v excited but... oops
    Now to live like the peasant I am the next few weeks

Choosing a career is the hardest thing ever. I dont know what i want to do. currently working in a shop and few more weeks is all i think i can do. Im just one of these people who believes striving for the impact is better making a change on peoples lives fighting for something. I dont want to do a normal job i want something different. personally id just want to live in the sky. But a part of me knows i dont have what it takes to push that far. i can push but no one to catch me when i get pushed back. Look at the beauty in this video. theres structure its a professional job its my dream i think. looking at my certs in aviation its the back bone of my desire but im on my own to fly high. family dont want me to fly away from the nest. :( just wish i knew. just wish i had someone to support me.

. Look at the beauty in this video. theres structure its a professional job its my dream i think. looking at my certs in aviation its the back bone of my desire but im on my own to fly high. family dont want me to fly away from the nest. :( just wish i knew. just wish i had someone to support me.

If your family stand in your way because they don't want empty nest syndrome well then they aren't really your family. Family don't drag you down they support you otherwise they're just people who happen to share your blood. There's plenty of my family who I despise and avoid because of how negative they are. Have you ever thought of the air corp dude? Not as many barriers to prevent you pursuing it as there is with commercial aviation.

Dont feel like family anyway. They want the best for me but the idea of spending thousands on your career is pointless. If i could complete a University degree i would be the first to do so in my family. Not really but ive looked it up since you mentioned it. Considered the RAF, but family put me off at the toughness. im aware but maybe its not the lifestyle for me. I guess just to wake up and put on a uniform is what i want.

So there were elections in the US yesterday.

Leaving aside the whole Democrat Vs Republican stuff, there were also 140 or so referenda type thingies going on. I focused on weed:

Alaska - Decriminalised.
    Florida - Medical marijuana rejected because it only got 58% approval (requires 60% majority)
    Oregon - Legalised for recreational use.

Damn Florida! :P

Full list here, there's actually a few really interesting ones on Hunting, Abortion and Firearms:
    http://ballotpedia.org/2014_ballot_measures

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    So there were elections in the US yesterday.

Leaving aside the whole Democrat Vs Republican stuff, there were also 140 or so referenda type thingies going on. I focused on weed:

Alaska - Decriminalised.
    Florida - Medical marijuana rejected because it only got 58% approval (requires 60% majority)
    Oregon - Legalised for recreational use.

Damn Florida! :P

Full list here, there's actually a few really interesting ones on Hunting, Abortion and Firearms:
    http://ballotpedia.org/2014_ballot_measures
    I think D.C are going to be having a weed referendum soon too. I'd book a flight over just to be able to skin up outside the white house.

Weird Questions seem to pop into my head while im at work. Todays one was, why isint everyone bi sexual. would make a life a lot easier and everyone is a fish

Weird Questions seem to pop into my head while im at work. Todays one was, why isint everyone bi sexual. would make a life a lot easier and everyone is a fish

Wed bone ourselves to extinction through exhaustion.

Being bored at work can lead to some glorious ponderings.

Wed bone ourselves to extinction through exhaustion.

Being bored at work can lead to some glorious ponderings.

But sex daily... Lol

"I have sex daily, I mean I have dyslexia " lol

I joined in 2009 I was in second year in the computer lab my friend was sitting beside me I was a big Hotmail fan but set up my first googlemail.Co.uk we were having into bebo using https://

• Advertisement

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Ive been on Boards for 2 years now

WUT

Thats scary......

I joined 2 yeaars ago...the LC was 2 years ago......

WUT

And you've almost as many posts as me in a year and half less time on the site.

And seeing as you delete 90% of your posts... :P

Advertisement