Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Dublin Porter & West Indies Porter - anyone tried them?

Options
  • 26-11-2014 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

I had a bottle of the West Indies one, it was supposed to be a stronger flavour, and was 6% versus 3.8% for the Dublin one.

I was pleasantly surprised. Quite tasty. Poured strangely with a very frothy head on it. Wouldn't take it over other 6% stouts like Midnight Sun or Leann Follain, but a decent enough beer.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I wrote some stuff on them and The Brewers Project here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yeah I got a couple of bottles of the West Indies one in Tesco in Enniskillen at the weekend, raging I didn't get more. They're part of the 4 for £6 deal at the moment, very tasty but as you say not up to Leann Folláin or Wrasslers for me but still well worth drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I've been on the look out for these as I'm curious to try them but haven't seen them anywhere.

Anybody seen them in the major supermarkets, if so, where?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

it was just glass after glass of watery fizz.

The Dublin described in a line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I've only heard bad things about them, I won't be trying them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

For no obvious reason, I really, really wanted these to be good, but I've rarely tasted anything so boring.

If you're looking for something new along the Stout/Porter line, I randomly had March of The Penquins from Williams Brothers in the liquor rooms at the weekend and enjoyed it a lot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

slayerking wrote: »
    Anybody seen them in the major supermarkets, if so, where?
    SuperValu in Kimmage had them on Sunday. The Dublin Porter was on the shelves but the West Indies was still wrapped so I'd say they only just arrived. I bought my bottles in Martin's of Fairview. O'Brien's have them listed on their website. I'm guessing they'll be everywhere by the end of next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Tried the Dublin Porter on draught in Belfast last night, it was OK. Served too cold, very light in body with a reasonable, though light flavour profile and a fair dose of carbonation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The WI Porter is lovely, very tasty.

The Dublin Porter is grand, a bit weak though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Really didn't think much of the West Indies. I don't even think that was because it was book-ended by Dungarvan's Minehead on one end and coffee and oatmeal stout on the other. It's just not good/different enough to justify the extra cash. I'd sooner buy a regular can or bottle of export.

I wouldn't turn my nose at it if I was drinking it for free, but I won't pay for it. Plus: the label looks nice, but it's printed on rubbish paper. If Guinness want to really sell this, they should have used a rougher, more tactile stock. Just goes to show how little it's been thought through.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    I wrote some stuff on them and The Brewers Project here.

Thats a really super read, fair play

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

O'Neill's have the Dublin Porter on draught now. I hadn't seen it anywhere else before this but it might well be old news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I still haven't seen these anywhere and I've been keeping an eye out in my local supermarket(s). Have they been released nationally or what's the craic with them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've seen bottles somewhere - either tesco or obriens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Mulligans on Poolbeg Street have the Dublin porter on draft and West Indies porter bottled. O'Brien's off Licences have them both in stock too. I really like the West Indies porter. I'm not a fan of some of the intense stouts and porters available (leann follain for example). So I can see why some stout/porter drinkers would find the Guinness Porters a bit boring. If you're like me though and you like something mid range then give the West Indies a shot. I found the Dublin Porter quite bland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

had a pint of Dublin Porter in the Palace, it's blander than regular Guinness, so not sure what the point of it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I started off with a bottle of the West Indies which I liked and then tried a bottle of the Dublin Porter which tasted a bit weak in comparison. I got a few small cases of the West Indies from Guinness so I'll enjoy getting through it over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭squonk

Had Dublin Porter on draught in Dolans in Limerick recently. Such a disappointment. Very bland and not one bit of an aftertaste. That being said I'm a Leann Folláin/Old Engine Oil man so I was never expecting to be blown away but was surprised to be so completely underwhelmed. I'll try the West Indies Porter if I see it. The one thing I do like about the range though is the pint glasses. Very nice things actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Mulligans on Poolbeg Street have the Dublin porter on draft

€5.20 a pint. Seems steep for a weak macro-brewed beer, with not a lot of flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

n97 mini wrote: »
    €5.20 a pint. Seems steep for a weak macro-brewed beer, with not a lot of flavour.

Steep? Yeah sure is and is the kind ifvbusiness practice that only serves to hurt the pub trade in the long run.

The west indies one I found to be most satisfactory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Tried a bottle of the West Indies one and ended up chucking it down the sink. Rank

Tried a bottle of the West Indies one and ended up chucking it down the sink. Rank

I take it you aren't a fan of stouts or porters then, these are about as inoffensive as you can get as an example of the style, verging on the bland.

Had the West Indies myself tonight, lacks body IMO. Too much going on to appeal to the macro drinker, not enough to interest the beer nerd.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I tried a bottle of Foreign Export next to the West Indies the other night. Have to say I preferred the Foreign Export.

drumswan wrote: »
    Had the West Indies myself tonight, lacks body IMO.

It is a porter so it's supposed to be medium bodied.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Stout is supposed to be full bodied too but I think Guinness must have missed that memo.

It's not medium bodied.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

If you can pinpoint the exact meaning of 'porter' then you deserve a bottle of both.

No-one is responsible for a definition, so there isn't one, but most would consider it a lighter bodied porter than stout porter. The latter most would agree, would be a heavier bodied beer like many draught (nitro) stouts we have available to us.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The latter most would agree, would be a heavier bodied beer like many draught (nitro) stouts we have available to us.

Nitro stout in Ireland tends to be very thin once you get past the nitro head. If you want a full bodied stout you'd be better looking at the likes of Leann Follain.

• Advertisement

I would definitely disagree with that. Shandon Stout is very heavy, almost too heavy. O'Hara's Stout gives a similar perception if not quite as much.

Advertisement