Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1916 Easter Rising Parade this Sunday in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

Maoltuile wrote: »

Mar a bhí - Army band starts at about 10.45 am start tomorrow outside the GPO. Parade starts at 11.30am. All wrapped up and ended by 1pm.

The cadet (new) arms drill looks the business, for those interested in such things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Mar a bhí - Army band starts at about 10.45 am start tomorrow outside the GPO. Parade starts at 11.30am. All wrapped up and ended by 1pm.

The cadet (new) arms drill looks the business, for those interested in such things.

Is this on TV?

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

Is this on TV?

No it never is. RTÉ just show 3 hours of mass instead, and that's on top of of showing Easter mass for an hour and a half tonight.

Just goes to show how much of a backward country we still are that our national broadcaster would rather show nearly 5 hours of mass coverage than show our DF commemorate the men who sacrificed their lives for the republic we live in today.

Is this on TV?

Not that I know of, sorry. Possibly video will be put up on one of the DF social media sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I'd say you are giving out to the wrong person about too much mass Turbine! :P

And who doesn't love a good mass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

ah jaysus i thought it was on tv was looking forward to watching this

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

I'd also be interested in seeing a recording of this.

As a humble Northerner, ignorant to the workings of the ceremony itself, would it be likened more to a trooping the colour type event or a remembrance service event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Its on RTE News website.

Parade Footage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

went along. It was good. I notice some soldiers now use the bayonet with the steyr. its available to buy for a hundred euro.the new drill seems to be the same as in British army, though only the cadets used it while the others used the old one.

what is the unit that wears green peaked caps with black visors?

Fuinseog wrote: »

You mean the PDF?

Anyway, new drill becomes 'official' this summer (coming to a barracks near you).

• Advertisement

So much for republicanism. A paltry turn out to commemorate such an important event for the country. Nearly every other country would have mass support for this type of event. BTW it should not matter if it is 96 or 100 years as it is the event that matters.

You mean the PDF?

Anyway, new drill becomes 'official' this summer (coming to a barracks near you).

I presume they are PDF.
    cadets have their own hat, the RDF a green beret, the PDF a black beret while officers wear a green peaked hat, leaving a formation with green hats and black peaks?

any reason for the change in drill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

went along. It was good. I notice some soldiers now use the bayonet with the steyr. its available to buy for a hundred euro.the new drill seems to be the same as in British army, though only the cadets used it while the others used the old one.

New drill is NOTHING like the british army. Because we are not part of a monarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So much for republicanism. A paltry turn out to commemorate such an important event for the country. Nearly every other country would have mass support for this type of event. BTW it should not matter if it is 96 or 100 years as it is the event that matters.

You've had nearly every government the we've elected in this country for the last three decades play down 1916 commemoration, what else do you expect?

Bambi wrote: »
    You've had nearly every government the we've elected in this country for the last three decades play down 1916 commemoration, what else do you expect?

You must not have been born, or slept through, 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You must not have been born, or slept through, 2006.
    You've had nearly every government the we've elected in this country

detail is important

I presume they are PDF.
    cadets have their own hat, the RDF a green beret, the PDF a black beret while officers wear a green peaked hat, leaving a formation with green hats and black peaks?

RDF (PA's aside) will get peakers sometime in the distant future (usually this occurs just before the PDF change to something else and need to run down stocks).
    any reason for the change in drill?

The old one looks ****e? I've heard stories about new Steyr scopes interfering with slings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I was at this as well and took some great pictures of the backs of peoples heads and so on, they are here if anyone would like to check them out ;

http://www.war-talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=238

(If anyone in the defence forces & is in any of these pictures & wants higher resolution copies let me know).

Morlar wrote: »
    I was at this as well and took some great pictures of the backs of peoples heads and so on, they are here if anyone would like to check them out

Thanks for that. The DF Flickr feed and the next An Cosantóir should have more.

New drill is NOTHING like the british army. Because we are not part of a monarchy.

WTF? Over.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    detail is important

But the government that were in during 2006 were there for about 15 years,without a break and were elected 3 times. Thats Most governments in a 20 year period.

WTF? Over.

The new drill is a slight variation on the drill that the Irish Defence forces have been using since the foundation of the state, as a republic. Orders are given in Irish(unlike the British army) and the most important aspect, the present arms, includes a downward facing palm, which is only found in the armies of non monarchies. Monarchies(such as the british army) present arms without a downward facing palm. You are offering your rifle to your king/queen/better, not saluting them while carrying it as an equal.
    All the other moves, Clinigh(slope), Iompaigh(carry), asiompaigh(reverse), are all based on well practiced moves that were seen on the FN and 303 of the Defence forces of Ireland since its inception. I am presuming there is also an aistrigh(change). The ost welcome order you will hear when on parade.

RDF (PA's aside) will get peakers sometime in the distant future (usually this occurs just before the PDF change to something else and need to run down stocks).

The old one looks ****e? I've heard stories about new Steyr scopes interfering with slings.

i could be wrong but the old drill is modelled on the french one.

security was tight, but they only seemed to be checking bags. I forgot I had a pocket knife on me, but they never checked.

The new drill is a slight variation on the drill that the Irish Defence forces have been using since the foundation of the state, as a republic. Orders are given in Irish(unlike the British army) and the most important aspect, the present arms, includes a downward facing palm, which is only found in the armies of non monarchies. Monarchies(such as the british army) present arms without a downward facing palm. You are offering your rifle to your king/queen/better, not saluting them while carrying it as an equal.
    All the other moves, Clinigh(slope), Iompaigh(carry), asiompaigh(reverse), are all based on well practiced moves that were seen on the FN and 303 of the Defence forces of Ireland since its inception. I am presuming there is also an aistrigh(change). The ost welcome order you will hear when on parade.

not all orders are given in Irish,they were yesterday but from past personal experience some orders are as Gaeilge and others in English, when doing the about ur on the march for example we had to call out the time in english. its as if they cannot decide which language to use.

not all orders are given in Irish,they were yesterday but from past personal experience some orders are as Gaeilge and others in English, when doing the about ur on the march for example we had to call out the time in english. its as if they cannot decide which language to use.

Foot/arms drill Orders are only ever given in irish.
    End Of.

Foot/arms drill Orders are only ever given in irish.
    End Of.

you seem very sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Calling out the time in the turn is only done in training so the troops work together. The command to call out the time is given in Irish.

I have never given or heard of an order given in English. When I did the NCO in question was pulled up on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

you seem very sure.

There are fashions in these things

To a certain extent it depends on the version of the "method of instruction" (aka the screed) your training NCO was given on their pots course. In training recruits -it would have been considered acceptable to use the English terms starting off and switch to the Irish once the troops get the hang of it. However this is only in recruit training once you have your stars up everything on the square is supposed to be in Irish. Of course down the West it may occasionally be the other way around everything in Irish starting and introduce the English terms after :D

The new drill is a slight variation on the drill that the Irish Defence forces have been using since the foundation of the state, as a republic. Orders are given in Irish(unlike the British army)

This wasn't always so, however. And you will still hear the occasional use of English for some things.
    All the other moves, Clinigh(slope), Iompaigh(carry), asiompaigh(reverse), are all based on well practiced moves that were seen on the FN and 303 of the Defence forces of Ireland since its inception. I am presuming there is also an aistrigh(change). The most welcome order you will hear when on parade.

Yes, I've noticed the similarities (being old enough to have had arms drill training on both).

• Advertisement

Advertisement