Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Household Tax - Boycott

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The person using the services is not the one to pay.
    But isn’t that what Ireland wants? “Free” education, “free” healthcare, etc. ?
    Why not just stick the lot on income tax, VAT and cut everything else out? It would provide the fairest, simplest to implement and most transparent taxation.
    I certainly would not argue against a simplification of the tax system, but I do think that part of that involves allowing local authorities to raise their own funding to some extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

djpbarry wrote: »
    The person using the services is not the one to pay.
    But isn’t that what Ireland wants? “Free” education, “free” healthcare, etc. ?
    Why not just stick the lot on income tax, VAT and cut everything else out? It would provide the fairest, simplest to implement and most transparent taxation.
    I certainly would not argue against a simplification of the tax system, but I do think that part of that involves allowing local authorities to raise their own funding to some extent.

Free at the point of usage, yes, but of course it has to be paid for somewhere. Paid for with universal taxation in my, admittedly not thought out, model.

I'd have a single rate of income tax, paid on all earnings over the tax-free threshold. VAT at a lower rate than today, maybe 20%, to stimulate consumption. Finally a local tax based on property value at a rate set by the local authority and those local authorities could tempt people to move to their area based on low tax or high services.

Retain duty on alcohol, fuel, tobacco duties. Drop road tax to €100 for all cars to run the admin of licensing, drop road tolls, drop VRT, reduce house stamp duty to cover the costs but not to generate income. Drop tax efficient shares, drop season ticket tax relief, drop married couple relief, drop artist exemption entirely. Drop all tax benefits and loopholes. Local taxation to be paid on all houses which are occupied, regardless of who owns them.

A first-class health and education system, both free at the point of usage. Roads maintained by NRA, centrally funded, or by the council, from local tax. Bin collection, fire brigade callout, libraries all paid for by the local taxation.

And if we need more money to do this then up the income tax. If taxes are higher across the board then average net income reduces and then prices will drop to meet that.

The end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

"And if we need more money to do this then up the income tax. If taxes are higher across the board then average net income reduces and then prices will drop to meet that"

- Aside from mistakenly thinking Paddy doesn't mind being taxed, there's a gaping hole in the economy that you would be left to fend for with your solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Free at the point of usage, yes, but of course it has to be paid for somewhere.
    Sure, but this is the great big problem in Ireland at the moment - people are demanding world class services, but don't want to pay for them. For example, these threads often bring up comparisons between Ireland and the UK, with all the "free" services available in the UK being listed (many of which are not actually "free", such as prescriptions and dental treatment, for example). But of course it's always overlooked that taxes in the UK are considerably higher than in Ireland, particularly for those on middle to lower incomes.
    Drop road tax to €100 for all cars to run the admin of licensing, drop road tolls, drop VRT...
    I wouldn't necessarily drop them all - I'd be more inclined to consolidate them all into a single tax on petrol. That way, what you pay is proportional to your road usage - can't get fairer than that*. And if you want to scrap season ticket tax relief, I'd offset that by increasing subsidies for public transport (which are pretty low in Ireland).

* Cue cries of "but that's unfair to those in rural areas who are more car dependent".

Advertisement