Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no drinking on trains???

Options
  • 07-04-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

How strict is this no drinking on Irish rail malark and would you get away with bringing a few cans on? Few lads going away for weekend and have always enjoyed a few drinks on train (not a stags)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I think the problem was with the bunches of lads having a few cans who saw themselves as 'just a bunch of lads having a few cans'. The same bunch of lads can unintentionally make the journey unpleasant for everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

I for one welcome the no drinking policy its about time it was brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Got the 1525 & 1630 a few times on a Friday as far as Athenry.
    Off I thought Id never get - roaring & shouting coupled with the amazing use of the F word at about 110 decibels every 4 seconds (and that was just the birds!).
    I was trying to work on the train and eventually I just gave up.

At Athenry the smokers stood in the doors and horse dragged their ciggies and on one occasion I saw the platform attendant get a ciggie (a lit ciggie) flicked at his chest by some kind friend who resented being told to stand clear of the door.

You can see why IE dont want "the lads" drinking on the train (the lads turn in to dick-heads).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It's only on certain trains on the Waterford and Galway routes where there have been specific problems with people (usually stag/hen parties) making the trip unbearable for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Slug em back in the jacks..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rapidth21

I'm not getting into debate on whether it's right or not, not talking about having ' an outta your tits sesh' on the train. Few lads going golfing and yes to enjoy a beer or two on 2-3 train would be nice. Just wondering how strict it was?

rapidth21 wrote: »
    I'm not getting into debate on whether it's right or not, not talking about having ' an outta your tits sesh' on the train. Few lads going golfing and yes to enjoy a beer or two on 2-3 train would be nice. Just wondering how strict it was?

I've already posted above - the alcohol ban only applies to certain trains on the Galway and Waterford routes, as listed below and on those particular trains it is strictly enforced.

Dublin / Waterford:

Fridays:
    13:15 and 15:10 Heuston/Waterford

Sundays:
    12:40, 15:10 and 18:05 Waterford/Heuston

Galway / Dublin:

Sundays:
    13:00 Galway/Heuston

On all other trains/routes, you are free to bring/buy drink on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

rapidth21 wrote: »
    If they sell beer on the train, they usually don't mind if you drink beer on the train. Once you keep to yourselves, I find the security are grand. I've been on a few stags, and we've drank on the trains, but were respectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lxflyer wrote: »
    On all other trains/routes, you are free to bring/buy drink on board.
    You're not meant to drink on the commuter trains. I'm not entirely sure what the rule is when they stick you into a commuter train in Galway for the ride back to Dublin, though :/

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    You're not meant to drink on the commuter trains. I'm not entirely sure what the rule is when they stick you into a commuter train in Galway for the ride back to Dublin, though :/

I was referring to Intercity services.

There are no commuter trains used between Galway and Dublin. They are all ICR (Intercity Railcar) operated nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rapidth21

Cheers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,160 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This is such an irish thing. "I know were not allowed to drink but do ya reckon we'd get away with bringing on a few cans??!?!"

Ah yeah, be grand sure! When they said no drinking they meant no drinking water!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

lxflyer wrote: »
    It's only on certain trains on the Waterford and Galway routes where there have been specific problems with people (usually stag/hen parties) making the trip unbearable for everyone else.
    It's also enforced on match specials.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there a restriction on drinking on commuter? What about Maynooth to city sectors of trains that continue to Rosslare? (if that's still ever done)

Been many many years since I would have cared to do it mind!

MYOB wrote: »
    Is there a restriction on drinking on commuter? What about Maynooth to city sectors of trains that continue to Rosslare? (if that's still ever done)

Been many many years since I would have cared to do it mind!

There are no commuter trains that continue as Intercity services anymore.

They are completely separate journeys now.

Advertisement