Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol on trains

Options
  • 03-03-2013 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

I traveled on the 12.40 Waterford Heuston earlier after spending last 5days in Waterford, new freight service starts to Ballina tomorrow.
    Ok a crowd of young boyos boarded the train in Killkenny, Im no stranger on Sunday Waterford trains from a job of old in Bellview.
    A security guard was called and tolded the young lad consuming alcohol on this train was not allowed, the young lad replyed and said he purchased the alcohol from the trolley, the security guard disappeared maybe to make further enquiries.
    I myself don't purchase booze on trains as its too expensive, Im also much in favor of banning drink on trains. If you bring your own drink, then proceed to consume, you are breaking the rules, but if you purchase on the train, then not allow to consume, Irish Rail is breaking the rules.
    Holding a gun in a firing rang, but not allow to shoot, is a bit silly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I've often drank on trains but made sure to act no different. Didnt shout or play music, etc.

Other passengers (and staff) didn't have a problem.

It's all down to the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I've often drank on trains but made sure to act no different. Didnt shout or play music, etc.

Other passengers (and staff) didn't have a problem.

It's all down to the person.

Therein lies the problem - CIE/IE in their wisdom have destaffed trains to save a few bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Depends what you drink and how you drink it. I keep a beer mug on me for travel. I would'nt be drinking lots, but a beer every hour or so on a trip is what I have. The only concern is for the crews perspective if a whole group comes along.

As usual in Ireland, a minority spoil it for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

There is a special notice on Dublin to Waterford timetables that states
    Consumption of alcohol is NOT permitted on this train. Passengers under the
    influence of alcohol WILL NOT be allowed onboard & passengers who engage
    in unruly behaviour will be removed from the train.

This applies to the 12:40, 15:10 and 18:05 ex Waterford on Sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

There is a special notice on Dublin to Waterford timetables that states

This applies to the 12:40, 15:10 and 18:05 ex Waterford on Sundays.

Must have been a recurring problem that it warrants a special notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It has been, yeah. The "dry trains" have been required in the last few years as Waterford, Kilkenny and even Carlow have become hot spots for Dubliners and Hen/Stag parties. There has been quite a few times when cops have had to be called in to arrest and remove people on board so it was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

You should send a complaint to Irish Rail, there is security onvboard these services and they are suposed to take the drink or ask the people to put it away or kick them off if they don't do either. From time the time they security need to be reminded what there are suposed to be doing and not just sitting down for the journey.

Trolly should also not be selling drink but they also need to be reminded of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Eh, yes, Im a veteran on Waterford trains, I could write a book on Killkenny antics, from mad stag parties to crazy hen parties, women removing their knickers to blokes getting aggressive being tolded to leave reserve seating.
    But selling alcohol, then not allowed to consume, I hope to make further enquiries about this, I not a kill joy, I love a pint, but hooliganism on trains is not my scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Eh, yes, Im a veteran on Waterford trains, I could write a book on Killkenny antics, from mad stag parties to crazy hen parties, women removing their knickers to blokes getting aggressive being tolded to leave reserve seating.
    But selling alcohol, then not allowed to consume, I hope to make further enquiries about this, I not a kill joy, I love a pint, but hooliganism on trains is not my scene.

Down with this sort of thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Down with this sort of thing.

Careful now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Advertisement