Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

mikeecho wrote: »
    Anything captured by a gosafe van is a ticket.. no matter how much over the limit.
    59km/50km zone = €80 +2 points
    159km/50km zone = €80 + 2 points

3 points..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

I never knew that. I though the higher the speed the more the fine and points.

That's how it is in Australia.
    And on bank holiday weekends, they double the points and the fines for infringements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There's an Android app TomTom speed camera that puts an overlay of your current speed and the current road limit.

Fantastic tool for sticking to the limit on unknown roads. Was built into Windows phone, but took a long time to get something similar on Android.

I have it running over my Google maps when using it as a GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

beauf wrote: »
    There's an Android app TomTom speed camera that puts an overlay of your current speed and the current road limit.

Fantastic tool for sticking to the limit on unknown roads. Was built into Windows phone, but took a long time to get something similar on Android.

I use HERE WeGo navigation app, which is available free for Android and iOS. I'm sure you remember it from Windows phone as it was owned by Nokia at the time.

HERE shows you the map, the current speed limit and your current speed and in the settings, you can specify an audible chime speed warning to sound at or above above the speed limit with you picking the exact differential. I think it's superior to Google maps because it works from offline maps so your phone doesn't use or need a data connection in order to work.

You can use Google Maps offline if you have the map downloaded for directions etc. Searches are still done online though.

HERE WeGo was brilliant better than google maps for many years. But after a while I started having problems finding things on it that I can on Google maps. Ditto Waze.

Here maps and Here Transit were brilliant apps on Windows phone.

• Advertisement

I have never had a problem finding anything on HERE, either in Ireland or other countries. With HERE, the maps are always on your phone. With Google maps you have to consciously download it every time and if you didn't do that and are stuck with no data connection in the wild of Connemara, you are out of luck. I'm stingy and don't pay for data usually. It's particularly useful when traveling in foreign countries.

cnocbui wrote: »
    ....With Google maps you have to consciously download it every time ...

Why would you have to do that? I have Ireland downloaded on mine. It gets updated every so often.

I have never had a problem finding anything on HERE, either in Ireland or other countries. .....

Just tried it again. Still can't find any of the pitches the kids are playing on at the weekend. Google maps found them all. Useless for me, which is a pity I really like the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

I never knew that. I though the higher the speed the more the fine and points.

No, its only 80 eur + points.
    But, if garda stops you speeding, then, if the speed is excessive you could also be arrested / sent to court

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1041788042586075136

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1038489047616970752

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

beauf wrote: »

I’ve my car set to give a loud ding at me when I go over 120km/h. Very very handy. Even on 100km/h roads when you’re a little heavy with the right foot it definitely reigns you in again. It’s very easy so over 120 in modern cars and not even realize.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

^For the record the question I asked about doing 110 in a 60 wasn’t me! Friend in a Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

how about this ??

prob got caught didnt i Limit is 60km/h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

how about this ??

I've read many posts that says detection goes at a 22 degree angle across the road from the van. That doesn't give them long range detection. You'd have to have some idea at what point you were back at 60 km/h then check on google maps drawing a line at 22 degrees from where the van is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

how about this ??

Looks like he's out setting up. If so, you're safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I blew past a speed van doing 75 on a road that was 60 roughly 4 weeks ago and have received nothing. Can a fine still come ?? I’d imagine with speed vans the fines etc are streamlined and sent pretty much on time every time.
    Last time I was done by a speed van I had the fine within 10 days. That was about 3 years ago.

steo_magra wrote: »
    I blew past a speed van doing 75 on a road that was 60 roughly 4 weeks ago and have received nothing. Can a fine still come ?? I’d imagine with speed vans the fines etc are streamlined and sent pretty much on time every time.
    Last time I was done by a speed van I had the fine within 10 days. That was about 3 years ago.

Did you say 'streamlined'? This is boards.ie, not .de

Did you say 'streamlined'? This is boards.ie, not .de

No I said banana, can you read ? Are you sure the internet is the correct place for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

No I said banana, can you read ? Are you sure the internet is the correct place for you ?

I think that comment went over your head.

alta stare wrote: »
    I think that comment went over your head.

I’m just looking for an intelligent answer to my question. I don’t even know why people bother commenting on stuff if they haven’t got anything useful to say. If it was in humour fair enough maybe it went over my head but even now why would you bother even replying ? Lol
    Must be a lot of people sitting on this forum bored off their tits.

I’m just looking for an intelligent answer to my question. I don’t even know why people bother commenting on stuff if they haven’t got anything useful to say. If it was in humour fair enough maybe it went over my head but even now why would you bother even replying ? Lol
    Must be a lot of people sitting on this forum bored off their tits.

Na just felt the need to reply to your ignorant response is all. It doesnt say much for your own intelligence if you have to come on boards and be a dick to a poster whos post you clearly misinterpreted.

• Advertisement

Na just felt the need to reply to your ignorant response is all. It doesnt say much for your own intelligence if you have to come on boards and be a dick to a poster whos post you clearly misinterpreted.

Ignorant ?
    Come on boards and be a dick ?
    I came on to ask a simple question ? I think you need your head checked kid. I feel sorry for you lol

And to the other guy who commented about me saying streamlined. My apologies if I misinterpreted what you meant I thought you were just being a smart arse.

Ignorant ?
    Come on boards and be a dick ?
    I came on to ask a simple question ? I think you need your head checked kid. I feel sorry for you lol

And to the other guy who commented about me saying streamlined. My apologies if I misinterpreted what you meant I thought you were just being a smart arse.

Na i dont kid im good thanks. You asked a simple question alright and got ratty when you presumed someone was being smart. I guess your a hoot at parties.

Na i dont kid im good thanks. You asked a simple question alright and got ratty when you presumed someone was being smart. I guess your a hoot at parties.

Hahahahahahahaha at least I get invited to parties.

Hahahahahahahaha at least I get invited to parties.

Between this reply and your use of lol i doubt you are old enough to go to parties unless they are in a playground.

Between this reply and your use of lol i doubt you are old enough to go to parties unless they are in a playground.

I see a quick and calculated response. I feel I’m getting on your nerves now. How the tables have turned kid.

I see a quick and calculated response. I feel I’m getting on your nerves now. How the tables have turned kid.

:D im refreshing the screen every 3 seconds so i can see if you have replied :p You are great craic so could you blame me. If you feel you are getting on my nerves then i would suggest you are the one who needs their head checked...kid :D

:D im refreshing the screen every 3 seconds so i can see if you have replied :p You are great craic so could you blame me. If you feel you are getting on my nerves then i would suggest you are the one who needs their head checked...kid :D

<3 one love

<3 one love

Damn it you were quicker than me. They do say kids are better with tech than us grown ups.

Damn it you were quicker than me. They do say kids are better with tech than us grown ups.

Your replies are getting weaker and it’s draining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

steo_magra
    alta stare
    banned from thread until next week sometime, maybe Thursday lunchtime

Advertisement