Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Clip 1. Solus light bulb car driving with no lights on!
    Clip 2. Garda cause everyone to slam on while they drive across the road hatching's on the M1/M50 interchange area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

rizzodun wrote: »
    Gob****es indeed, but that's a mighty big brush you have there gutteruu...

Barely a day goes by that I don't see these things but I only post stuff when I think of it or have time. Standard of driving in this country is beyond ridiculous but for some reason people don't like to hear that. We always compare ourselves to the worst then pat ourselves on the back and carry on. I spend most of my days trying not to get killed by idiots. Good drivers are in the tiny minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Fancy Garda maneuver, not sure if they had indicators on or not with the headlights flashing but didn't expect them to do what they done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

From my commute this morning. Eejit in an Audi A6. Goes through junction with the lights in his favour and then stops dead in the middle of the road on the pedestrian crossing markings causing the delivery van behind him to do an emergency stop. The van driver leant on the horn while the Audi stayed there until the lights had gone red and then casually drove off into the path of traffic coming from the opposite side, forcing them all to make way for him. I spotted him further along deciding he was in the wrong lane and inching his way on top of a Fiesta that was occupying the lane he wanted to be in. C-reg as well so no reason for him not to know where he was going. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Cocoon wrote: »
    Fancy Garda maneuver, not sure if they had indicators on or not with the headlights flashing but didn't expect them to do what they done.

That's not too clever really is it especially given the dark and wet conditions. Even if they were indicating there is no way you could see it with their lights flashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

From my commute this morning. Eejit in an Audi A6. Goes through junction with the lights in his favour and then stops dead in the middle of the road on the pedestrian crossing markings causing the delivery van behind him to do an emergency stop. The van driver leant on the horn while the Audi stayed there until the lights had gone red and then casually drove off into the path of traffic coming from the opposite side, forcing them all to make way for him. I spotted him further along deciding he was in the wrong lane and inching his way on top of a Fiesta that was occupying the lane he wanted to be in. C-reg as well so no reason for him not to know where he was going. :rolleyes:

Get a dash cam! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Caliden wrote: »

If a picture paints a 1000 words then 33.3333... seconds at 30 frames per second video paints a million :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Remember the drunk I filmed driving all over the place up the Naas road in rush hour. Benny hill music. (Since removed incase it went to court)

I got a call back this from the Garda after a report to traffic watch , must have been a few weeks ago at least.
    The car and driver are known to them for numerous other scumbag offences .
    But after I explained that I did not get the image of the man driving on tape or really got a good look at him, they would not be able to do anything.
    He would certainly deny being in the car at that time I was told.
    If I really wanted I could go and make a statement that could end up in court, but judging from the tone of the Garda voice , i would be wasting everyones time.
    I see there point of view . Pity though. Catch dangerous driver red handed and still have not enough to make it stick.
    That's unfortunate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Jesus christ, they should be shot!

it's okay they were probably locals and "knew" the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Caliden wrote: »

Would the sucker attachment hold it to my forehead though? Seeing as I'm a pedestrian. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Would the sucker attachment hold it to my forehead though? Seeing as I'm a pedestrian. ;)

sooo....no Motor, no Dash, no dashcam......do you even have an Ass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Remember the drunk I filmed driving all over the place up the Naas road in rush hour. Benny hill music. (Since removed incase it went to court)

I got a call back this from the Garda after a report to traffic watch , must have been a few weeks ago at least.
    The car and driver are known to them for numerous other scumbag offences .
    But after I explained that I did not get the image of the man driving on tape or really got a good look at him, they would not be able to do anything.
    He would certainly deny being in the car at that time I was told.
    That's terrible. Surely he can't just get away with it by denying he was driving? Isn't there something in law about the registered owner being responsible unless he nominates another driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Get a Gopro and a chest mount! It would make good viewing,
    I had a stupid old lady run a red light the other day, it's a long junction I think I mentioned before but if you run the red you cross the green pedestrian light, plus you can see when their lights turn red, I stepped onto the road and she drove at me then ****in beeped!,
    I pointed out the green light to her and she panicked and stalled the car!

Edit: I have the Gopro mount on the windscreen but I had to ask Santa for a 32gb micro sd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

corktina wrote: »

LOL - post of the day, that's all I need from the internet this Friday. See you all Saturday. :pac:

*sniggers*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭josip

bladebrew wrote: »
    Get a Gopro and a chest mount! It would make good viewing,

As has been recently pointed out, this thread is for dashcams.
    Not handlebarcams or even chestcams.

Madness - not much point in having a car registration system at all so.

But why would anyone get penalty points or any other fine so? Can I just deny everything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

RainyDay wrote: »
    Madness - not much point in having a car registration system at all so.

But why would anyone get penalty points or any other fine so? Can I just deny everything?

A criminal conviction requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt. An administrative sanction does not. That's why the punishment is scaled up if you go to court. There is an incentive for one to be honest.

• Advertisement

There is an incentive for one to be honest.
    Actually, if what Fred says is true - there is an incentive for you to be dishonest.

If you dishonestly deny that you were driving, you get away scott free, it seems.

Actually, if what Fred says is true - there is an incentive for you to be dishonest.

If you dishonestly deny that you were driving, you get away scott free, it seems.

The incentive is reduced penalty points and fine.

There is always the temptation to try and get one over - try it see what happens. Bear in mind that while there shouldn't be a lower standard of proof in the District Court on non serious matters there often is. That said it's proof beyond a reasonable doubt, not beyond all doubt.

Unfortunately it becomes more difficult with scumbags as it's harder to prove the uninsured, unregistered sh1t wagon they're driving is there's or they were driving. A family car on the other hand is unlikely to be driven by 'Mick' that you met in the pub. It's also much more likely that an investigation will turn up someone who says something that drops you right in it.

Was Rainy in work today?
    Who's Asking?
    Garda Pat O'Brien
    Oh is he okay?
    Yes - was he in work?
    Yes
    Did he drive in do you know?
    Yes he left at 5pm

As opposed to

Was Rainy in the pub with you today?
    Who's Asking?
    Garda...
    fcuk off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

What it should be is that the registered owner is prosecuted for an offence if he cannot prove who was driving, then it wouldn't matter who denied it, and people would be more careful if they had loaned their car out to others, hard to police when anyone can clone your plates though I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Sorry not from my dash(thankfuly!)

http://youtu.be/PYopQ6AEGbM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

If you want justice, only you can deliver it.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

To be fair there should be blatant proof needed although its unfortunate for people in your situation. Otherwise anyone can make up any story and have someone prosecuted on their opinion. I don't agree with this traffic watch number either.

Giving the 'dear Joe' yaris driving woman who bought her license and never done a test, randomly parks anywhere, blocks lanes, swerves out in front over everyone the power to have the cops interrogate someone who beeped at her is a bad idea.

Let the police do the policing. If you have a video, thats different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Go easy on the comments I was a virgin until this one :) and yes I know the date is wrong

Original audio was not suitable for work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Thanks for the warning with the music. I fecking jumped :mad:.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

gutteruu wrote: »
    To be fair there should be blatant proof needed although its unfortunate for people in your situation. Otherwise anyone can make up any story and have someone prosecuted on their opinion. I don't agree with this traffic watch number either.

Giving the 'dear Joe' yaris driving woman who bought her license and never done a test, randomly parks anywhere, blocks lanes, swerves out in front over everyone the power to have the cops interrogate someone who beeped at her is a bad idea.

Traffic watch isn't just for whining about other drivers. I used it recently when something had shed parts of its load across two lanes of the M7. The situation was starting to get dangerous as it was approaching dusk, and I could see cars behind me swerving all over the place. I'd have had no idea what number to call to get it seen to, but was able to call traffic watch, give the "kilometer marker" (M7 700 E etc) and they could send someone out.

I'm relatively sure the gardaí prioritise the calls they get to Traffic Watch. Mary Kate complaining that someone beeped her probably comes further down the line than "There's a man driving the wrong way down the street while chugging from a whiskey bottle".

gutteruu wrote: »

Most cases that the police deal with involve difference of opinions. You don't need a video to go to the police about a traffic issue or any issue. Video can help, but it's not a prerequisite.
    Sorry to hear it. I'd love to hear more about the exact legal situation. I can't believe that it is that easily to get off the hook legally with a touch of denial.
    Was Rainy in work today?
    Who's Asking?
    Garda Pat O'Brien
    Oh is he okay?
    Yes - was he in work?
    Yes
    Did he drive in do you know?
    Yes he left at 5pm

Not really a 'beyond reasonable doubt' situation.

Not really a 'beyond reasonable doubt' situation.

Of course it is.

Rainy's car spotted at 17:13 doing a donut on the Blanchardstown Interchange (or what ever)

Fixed penalty notice issued

Wasn't me Guv, lets go to court.

Garda investigation started.

Garda phones your employer and asks if you were in work that day. Information give as above. You come in the next day.

"Rainy The guards were asking after you everything okay"
    "Yes keep stum - don't go to court"

Subpoena issued

Person cross examined by a barrister breaks down in about 5 seconds.

Rainy gets the the wrath of a District Court Judge for wasting everyone's time.

Seriously, it's not that hard to investigate something like this. As I've already said in matters like this there is usually some latitude given. Not only that if you did loan the car to someone you'd be under an obligation to tell them who. If you claimed you loaned the car and didn't or claimed it was stolen - you're looking at adding perjury to the charges. Depending on the Judge and the mood that day that could have you being very careful with the soap for a few days.

Not only that if you did loan the car to someone you'd be under an obligation to tell them who. If you claimed you loaned the car and didn't or claimed it was stolen - you're looking at adding perjury to the charges.
    And does this same obligation apply to the scumbag who chooses to say nothing? And will be looking at 'added perjury' also?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

rizzodun wrote: »
    What it should be is that the registered owner is prosecuted for an offence if he cannot prove who was driving, .........

So, guilty until proven innocent? Hardly fair, is it?

And does this same obligation apply to the scumbag who chooses to say nothing? And will be looking at 'added perjury' also?

One can stay silent, but usually the guards will get something out of you. If you follow the solicitors advice you might avoid that. Probably you'll say just enough to get the interview in front of the Judge who is then under an obligation NOT to draw inferences from it (yeah right). Whether there are any offences in relation to refusal to tell the guards who was driving a vehicle registered to you simpliciter - I don't know.

One would be spending time in a garda interview, having acquaintances questioned by the guards and wasting at least one day in the DC, to say nothing of the any legal fees is easier, or an incentive over paying the fine and taking the points? You'll probably be unhappy with the DC court treatment if you are done; appeals to the Circuit Court are de novo, so at best another day wasted.

Yes there is probably a better than 50/50 chance if you're a chancer and know the system to avoid the points. The times you do get caught you pay for all the times you got away with it.

As I say there is an incentive to cop to it, not least of which is avoiding a conviction.

EDIT: Sorry 'you' should be 'one' all the way through that, not directed at you personally.

You're absolutely right in relation to prosecutions but the FPN is a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

You're absolutely right in relation to prosecutions but the FPN is a different matter.

Why should it be different? The basic principle of Justice is that any offence must be proven beyond reasonable doubt. To put the onus of proving guilt/innocence on the owner of a vehicle is inherently wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Just wondering what the price of a dashcam is? Do many people in Ireland have them or would there be much of a demand for them?

• Advertisement

Why should it be different? The basic principle of Justice is that any offence must be proven beyond reasonable doubt. To put the onus of proving guilt/innocence on the owner of a vehicle is inherently wrong.

There is no proof beyond a reasonable doubt in relation to FPNs. There's not proof beyond a reasonable doubt in most cases where Constitutional Justice and fairness prevail. An FPN is an administrative sanction on a privilege (driving licence), a conviction is against a person and in Ireland is for life at the moment. That said, the majority would seem to agree with you hence we don't have the suggested policy.
    Gits_bone wrote: »
    Just wondering what the price of a dashcam is? Do many people in Ireland have them or would there be much of a demand for them?

There's a separate thread - link is a bit further up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Gits_bone wrote: »

Info here ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056815237

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Not exactly, if your name is on the registration, then make sure whoever you're giving the car to is going to be responsible. As I mentioned probably impossible to police but it's stop people saying "Sure it wasn't me driving" and getting away with it, that's my reasoning behind it. I wouldn't give my car to someone likely to act the maggot in it, I wouldn't be too impressed with the guards knocking at my door asking why my car was racing around a backroad (or whatever).

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

Close call earlier today, your man had the nerve to point at the traffic lights...

Fcuking idiot. Heavier rain and you'd have hit in IMO.
    No lights on either.... tosser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I hope he see's the video! That light couldn't have been clearer!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I hope he see's the video! That light couldn't have been clearer!

Sure doesn't green for him mean he can go whatever way he pleases...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

He was obviously in the wrong but I found in Dublin City Centre that it's hard to know if you're supposed to go or not.

So I'm going up a one way street, traffic lights ahead and the lights are green. I know from driving this road before there's a seperate green light for going left. So I stop, car starts beeping from behind.

Lights go red. Eventually, the light goes green.

How do I know if I'm allowed to go left as the left arrow isn't lit up, but just the green light to go straight is. (plain green, no arrow).

I'm not sure why they can't have a red arrow for going left as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

I'm always wary of anyone who wears a hat in a car. Always have, always will!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

spurious wrote: »
    Sure doesn't green for him mean he can go whatever way he pleases...

Green Light, Indicator on, oncoming car just passed - I'm clearly in the right to turn :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement