Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer licence Help

Options
  • 26-07-2014 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi guys.

I have recently put a deposit on a nice 243, i have owned a couple of rifles already but smaller caliber. I want to get set up for deer as they are moving in on our land and starting to do damage.can anybody give me any info on what i need on the paperwork side of things. any help would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

nigelm485 wrote: »
    Hi guys.

I have recently put a deposit on a nice 243, i have owned a couple of rifles already but smaller caliber. I want to get set up for deer as they are moving in on our land and starting to do damage.can anybody give me any info on what i need on the paperwork side of things. any help would be great.

Thanks

Apply for the deer licence now using the serial number of the rifle and folio numbers of the lands you have permission for. You need 100 acres min, but always wonder d if you would get refused based on wishing to shoot on your own land if it was less than 100 acres.

Try and get it in the post Monday as season starts soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

Hi guys.

Thanks

Down load a copy of the application form from the NPWS web site, and submit this with you Rifle details the make and Model the size of round you intend using, and you must have minium of 100 acres, not by law but its what the NPWS require you to have before the Hunting Licence can be issued.

Best of Luck.

Sorry just to add, the application must come with signed and dated permission letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nigelm485

Tawny Owl wrote: »
    Down load a copy of the application form from the NPWS web site, and submit this with you Rifle details the make and Model the size of round you intend using, and you must have minium of 100 acres, not by law but its what the NPWS require you to have before the Hunting Licence can be issued.

Best of Luck.

Thanks so its not the standerd fa1 firearms application?.
    We have less than 100 acres on our farm but if i get a letter from the neighboring farmer will this do?.

Thanks so its not the standerd fa1 firearms application?.
    We have less than 100 acres on our farm but if i get a letter from the neighboring farmer will this do?.

Yeah, I would get the extra permission letter just to be sure.

The deer cert is in addition to your firearms applictiin, in fact I would think the deer licence will be used to apply for your firearm cert as justification for needing the 243.

So, apply for yoirndeer licence using the details of the 243 you have, then when you get the deer licence use that as part of your firearm application.

If you already have the 243 licence approved then just submit the deer licence appkiction to npws with the pwrnissins etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Why would you need to notify the NPWS that you are shooting deer on private land? & do you need a licence to shoot deer on private land?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Why would you need to notify the NPWS that you are shooting deer on private land? & do you need a licence to shoot deer on private land?

Yes you need a NPWS permit to shoot deer on private land.

Yeah, I would get the extra permission letter just to be sure.

The deer cert is in addition to your firearms applictiin, in fact I would think the deer licence will be used to apply for your firearm cert as justification for needing the 243.

So, apply for yoirndeer licence using the details of the 243 you have, then when you get the deer licence use that as part of your firearm application.

If you already have the 243 licence approved then just submit the deer licence appkiction to npws with the pwrnissins etc.

So i shouldnt send off my firearm application until i get the deer licence back? Can i apply for the deer licence with a make. Model. And the ammo going to be used. Or does it have to have the serial code off the gun?

Cheers

So i shouldnt send off my firearm application until i get the deer licence back? Can i apply for the deer licence with a make. Model. And the ammo going to be used. Or does it have to have the serial code off the gun?

Cheers

You need to have a reason for the 243, one reason would be for deer, but you need to show that you have a deer licence to do this.

The way I did it was to put deposit on firearm, submit deer licence application, then use deer licence to submit firearms cert

You need to have a reason for the 243, one reason would be for deer, but you need to show that you have a deer licence to do this.

The way I did it was to put deposit on firearm, submit deer licence application, then use deer licence to submit firearms cert

Thanks

how long did each process take
    just want to get an idea of a timeline.

• Advertisement

Thanks

Deer licence is normally pretty quick, but get it in Monday

Firearm licence can take months depends where you are. Is this your first licence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Thanks

Both application timelines depend on the local authorities involved, the Garda & the Ranger.
    As a holder of other firearms certs the process may be quicker as you are on the system, but this will depend on your previous licenseing experience, where they quick or long drawn out. If you on speaking terms with your local FO have a chat with him, explain the situation, you may be able to speed up the process by applying for it with out a permit. It is not unheard of guys getting deer legal calibers without deer permits.

If deer are well documented in your location then this may aid in your app for a deer permit as the local ranger will be familiar with the situation, if not then it may require a visit and assessment. If the deer are there then you will get the permit.

I would advise you to hook up with someone you know who's experienced with stalking. There's a good bit to it, to coin a phase 'from field to fork'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

......... do you need a licence to shoot deer on private land?

I'm not singling you out LIFFY, but your comment just reminded of a frightening thing i've heard frequently and a hell of a lot in the last few weeks.

Lads are "positive" they don't need a deer license for private, or their own, lands. One lad was so sure he said he shot deer last year on his own land and it's his "right" to shoot whatever is on his land.

As Jonty said lads you need a deer license to shoot deer even if they are in your front room.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Both application timelines depend on the local authorities involved, the Garda & the Ranger.
    As a holder of other firearms certs the process may be quicker as you are on the system, but this will depend on your previous licenseing experience, where they quick or long drawn out. If you on speaking terms with your local FO have a chat with him, explain the situation, you may be able to speed up the process by applying for it with out a permit. It is not unheard of guys getting deer legal calibers without deer permits.

If deer are well documented in your location then this may aid in your app for a deer permit as the local ranger will be familiar with the situation, if not then it may require a visit and assessment. If the deer are there then you will get the permit.

I would advise you to hook up with someone you know who's experienced with stalking. There's a good bit to it, to coin a phase 'from field to fork'.

Cheers
    no not my first would be my fourth. The ranger and the fo knows theres deer in my area. As for stalking i used to do.a good bit but the chap i used to stalk with passed away last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

nigelm485:

Your on the right track then, just need to join all the dots, best of luck.

Cass:
    I've had the exact same separate conversation with both land owners and individual lads who have been given so called 'exclusive private permisson' (thier words) and don't need a license. The worst thing was, two of the individuals are what I call 'gun junkies' and have no experience in stalking / hunting both legally and practically. I have seen the results of thier hunts and listened to the bullsh*t justifications as to why the animal was shot 3 times, or the meat had turned etc etc.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

There is a Garda confidential line if you don't want to do it in person !

Advertisement