Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heading off on holidays this year?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

mauzo! wrote: »
    Honeymoon in Croatia in June. Looking forward to it :)

I hear it's beautiful
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    Have a hotel in Berlin booked for 4 nights in July.

Waiting to see if herself can get her holidays for that time before we book flights.

I hear there is a brilliant red light district there.

Win win for you regardless :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Lanzarote in August. Brother getting married out there. Can't wait. First time the entire family has been away on holiday like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

A weekend in Courtown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Cavan is gorgeous. All those lakes!

Not lakes - reservoirs. They even hoard water..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

urabell wrote: »
    Sounds nice but I imagine when you get there it's more famine, dengue fever and machete wielding rebels than safari, sunshine and cultural enrichment.

No famine in Uganda. I have vaccinations for all the fevers and there are no rebels. People do have machetes though. This will be my third time so I know what to expect, its gonna be awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Had first holiday in 7 years last summer, one of mine lads is always sick (has a long term illness) so headed down south of Ireland, managed 4 good days day before ended up in Cork hospital. Not sure if want to risk it this year, poor guy felt awful that we had to cut the holiday short, don't want him feeling guilty again like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

I'm heading to Edinburgh for a long weekend in July. Then Orlando and New York in September and finally Stockholm and Copenhagen just after Christmas. It's nice to have them to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

MadYaker wrote: »
    No famine in Uganda. I have vaccinations for all the fevers and there are no rebels. People do have machetes though. This will be my third time so I know what to expect, its gonna be awesome.

Kony and his LRA are rebels no? Although if they're not around it's probably due to the kony action pack used to raise awareness back in 2012

You'll probably be ok as long as you're not a homosexual so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭sheroman01

antodeco wrote: »
    Only back from Gran Canaria. Off to Barcelona next week :D I'm quite the jetsetter

Where in Gran Canaria did you go :)? How was it? I'm off there second week in June :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Things that don't qualify as a holiday

Butlins
    Trabolgan
    anything involving a mobile home especially anything involving a mobile home in Wexford
    anywhere that you could have found in a budget travel catalogue

You forgot one point.

Bringing your kids. No matter what age they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Kony and his LRA are rebels no? Although if they're not around it's probably due to the kony action pack used to raise awareness back in 2012

You'll probably be ok as long as you're not a homosexual so

He was gone from Uganda long before that viral campaign. He's in the Congo mostly. You're right about the homosexual thing though, thats a major no no! Although my friend did get hit on by a gay guy in a nightclub in kampala, was quite funny at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

No holiday this year, we're skint. But next February - one week in Ireland, 3 days in London and 7 nights in Morocco. Jasus, about 360 more days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You've a girlfriend?!?

Fcuk no.

I'm going on holidays with mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Going to Chicago for three months

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I should be heading off on a holiday, the issue is, I'm not quite sure where. I've got the cash to go pretty much anywhere in the world I want to go. But on the other hand, I haven't been somewhere like the Canary Islands in about 4 years. So while I could go somewhere like California, I could also save a lot of money and go somewhere like Tenerife, decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I'm thinking lisbon but not sure yet. Anyone been to Lisbon?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Have spent a week in Thailand and a week in Shanghai already this year, thinking of going somewhere in Europe for a few weeks in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I'm thinking lisbon but not sure yet. Anyone been to Lisbon?

Yes. It's my favourite city everrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Going nowhere this year, same as the last 3 years. My passport expired last October and I can't be bothered renewing it. Just hate the hassle of airports and flying, the thoughts alone put me off going away somewhere. Just knock me out and wake me when we get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Yes. It's my favourite city everrrr.

Good to hear. Off on a short stay in mid June. Got any tips for stuff to check out etc other than the top TripAdvisor dealies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I'm going to an adults-only beach resort in the Carribean later in the year. Can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Going nowhere this year, same as the last 3 years. My passport expired last October and I can't be bothered renewing it. Just hate the hassle of airports and flying, the thoughts alone put me off going away somewhere. Just knock me out and wake me when we get there.

You won't get anywhere without a passport. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Seville. Or roundabouts, for a week. Ryanair flights cheap!

I wanted to go to France, but was overruled.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I'm going to South Africa in July :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Was in ny just before xmas and vienna a month ago so taking a break now :p
    Hoping to get over to see some friends in hannover this summer and would love to do another 2 week german course over in germany this summer as well if I save up a bit. Thinking munich this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Canada for 3 weeks in August. Friend of mine is marrying a Canadian bird and there's not many Irish going over. Cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Going on holidays tomorrow. \0/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

jbt90 wrote: »
    I wouldn't really call going to the Algarve or anywhere in Portugal a holiday

A holiday is something is usually a good trip to the states/oz/dubai or multiple trips in europe at once ie amsterdam,berlin,ibiza,paris etc

So the Algarve is not a real holiday but Ibiza is :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

strobe wrote: »
    Good to hear. Off on a short stay in mid June. Got any tips for stuff to check out etc other than the top TripAdvisor dealies?

Hey. Tbh it was 4 years ago now. We didn't do anything out of the ordinary though, just walked around and got the tram and stuff and ate wherever the mood took us. Didn't read up on the city at all until we got there and even then, we just played it by ear most of the time. Be sure to visit the little towns outside though (Cascais, Belem and Sintra). We rented bikes and cycled up the coast and it was gorgeous . Also try your best to get to a Fado show. We managed to stumble upon a non-touristy one but I've no clue where it was or what the place was called (useless tourist with a head like a sieve, unfortunately). Sorry I couldn't give you any more advice! The city is small though, so you'll have no problem finding the good stuff.

Edit: Oh and make sure you have the cod there! Pronounced "Backalow" in Portuguese (Bacalhau).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Back to Ireland in early June to look at wedding venues, Cornwall for surfing and cycling in late June, probably grab a week somewhere hot in late September or early October. That's the rough plan anyway.

Advertisement