Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Egyptian man to fight a lion in direct combat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

ScumLord wrote: »
    Simply by not showing your back to the lion and running away you will confuse the lion as they don't know what to do when things don't act like prey. Secondly a lion on it's own won't be as confident as it normally would with a pride. Lions are designed for quick burst of power, they will weaken before the human over time.

A human could know where nerve bundles are just below the skin allowing it to paralyse an animal with one blow, Horses and sharks are animals we can control with a touch because of the way their bodies are wired.

I would say it's quiet likely people have killed more lions (even before the gun) than lions have killed humans.

We already dominate these animals.

with guns, spears etc. not with our bare hands in a cage like this eejit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

...it's not hard to get the upper hand on a lot of animals just by knowing their behaviour.

Great quote. Steve Irwin I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Or by more conventional means...

It cannot be unseen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 47 joemcg18

this is awesome this should defintely go ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

with guns, spears etc. not with our bare hands in a cage like this eejit
    No guns, it's been a right of passage in African tribes for century's. Other tribes can just walk up to lions on a fresh kill and take what they want, no spears.

I really think a human trained to be able to kill a lion without weapons could do it and once he's done it once will only get better and better at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If he wants to give the lion a free meal, who are we to stop it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

No guns, it's been a right of passage in African tribes for century's. Other tribes can just walk up to lions on a fresh kill and take what they want, no spears.

I really think a human trained to be able to kill a lion without weapons could do it and once he's done it once will only get better and better at it.

i'd have to see it to believe it to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Id hate to see the animal die for the purpose of tourism but that aside, who wouldnt love to watch a man do battle with a lion in front of the pyramids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I f he wanted to make it a fair fight the lion should be going in hungry.

My guess is the lion will be drugged up, or it has some dis-ability, blindness maybe.

Good luck to him, the only part of it I find stupid, is where he says 'I have challenged the lion, and now he has to fight'

I don't remember challenges working like that. Maybe in egypt. Where the mightiest soilders live :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

There's a big difference between spooking a lion into moving away, and actually fighting one. Can you think of a single way a man could kill a lion unarmed? And then factor in the fact that the lion is tearing you to bits while you attempt this maneouvre...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

There's a big difference between spooking a lion into moving away, and actually fighting one. Can you think of a single way a man could kill a lion unarmed? And then factor in the fact that the lion is tearing you to bits while you attempt this maneouvre...

First you hit him with your keyboard, then when he's dazed you confuse him with a strawman, an ad hominem and reductio ad absurdum combo, lash on a Godwin's Law and finish up with a false dichotomy. Celebrate by blasting the corpse with píss of course.

That's how keyboard warriors usually do it.

i'd have to see it to believe it to be honest
    Indeed, science now demands this fight goes ahead.
    Rear naked choke, the difference between a human choke and the lions killing choke is the humans will act almost instantly as we target the arteries carrying blood to the brain instead of suffocating the animal by blocking it's air.

If you can scare the lion it should also be counted as a victory because that's how most fights are won and lost in the wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

:pac: Agreed
    Rear naked choke, the difference between a human choke and the lions killing choke is the humans will act almost instantly as we target the arteries carrying blood to the brain instead of suffocating the animal by blocking it's air.
    So you just have to approach the lion, get past its claws and teeth, straddle it from behind, locate where the arteries carrying blood to the brain are, and apply pressure on them for long enough for it to black out? Sounds easy enough! :P
    If you can scare the lion it should also be counted as a victory because that's how most fights are won and lost in the wild.
    I can't see the lion's manager agreeing to that condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

If you encounter a lion in the wild the thing to do is to make a lot of noise and advance upon them; if you run, you are prey and you can't outrun a lion.

However, I'm assuming they would be fighting in a cage. A caged lion would not run and would fight to the death*.

*The human's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Fishie wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear about the man who wants to fight a lion to boost Egypt's tourism?

There has been a huge negative reaction since the story did the rounds on Twitter, resulting in various petitions to the Egyptian government and calls to boycott Egyptian products if this goes ahead. The guy hasn't been granted a permit to fight the lion in front of the pyramids at Giza, as he wants to do.

This interview, posted online today, makes him come across as even more of a nutter. He's insisting that the fight will go ahead, despite the international reaction, and will be fought without weapons. He also says that the fight has a political message:
    I don't care how much the pay per view costs this i have to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

reckon if you leapt at a lion neck, it'd stick a paw in your way.. paw full of 4 inch claws that is

dont think you'd be able to stay on the lions back long enough to knock it out either.. they can reach back there with their paws (and aforementioned claws)

Wossack wrote: »
    reckon if you leapt at a lion neck, it'd stick a paw in your way.. paw full of 4 inch claws that is

dont think you'd be able to stay on the lions back long enough to knock it out either.. they can reach back there with their paws (and aforementioned claws)
    A slash of one paw across the neck and it would be game over and dinner time for the lion.

My money on yer man anyway or if he can't do it I say we kidnap UFC fighter and have him fight the lion.

I'm going to win so much money on this bet I just know it. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Just reading that the average male African lion weighs in at 400 - 430 lbs. Captive animals are usually in excess of 500 lbs. Id imagine if it charged you or swiped at you, the issue of broken bones and concussion would be as big a problem as any blood loss you might sustain.
    Dont see how he could do it really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

My money on yer man anyway or if he can't do it I say we kidnap UFC fighter and have him fight the lion.

I'm going to win so much money on this bet I just know it. :cool:

A man wearing armour and with a spear/sword would have some (small) chance.

An unarmed, unarmoured man would have practically zero chance unless the lion was sick, intoxicated or had no legs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I think you should fight the lion given you seem to already know how to defeat one in a fight.

Agricola wrote: »
    Just reading that the average male African lion weighs in at 400 - 430 lbs. Captive animals are usually in excess of 500 lbs.
    That's fat!
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    No way, armour would slow him down make him a sitting target.
    I think you should fight the lion given you seem to already know how to defeat one in a fight.
    If I had a year to train then I might have the physical knowledge required to win the fight.. I shall now begin the necessary montage that will prepare me for Lion fighting... Now where did I put that headband? I can't start the montage without putting on a headband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Swift boot to the balls.

Lion 0 - 1 Man.

Realistically, the guy will die, and be eaten by the Lion. Unless of course he feeds the lion first, in which case it will probably only be interested in defending itself rather than eating him.

Either way, I hop he dies to remove his absolute stupidity from the gene pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

It's a tough call on who would win but I'd put my money on the lion especially if it was a badass lion like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSp4jwkppNCpUy_hAfIDOrPN-DkDFBXlRHiHGqUlQJzKSPkMQ2KKw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

An unarmed, unarmoured man would have practically zero chance unless the lion was sick, intoxicated or had no legs

then it really would be lion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Whos gona be his sparring partner........ Chuck Norris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

It's obvious this guy is lion through his teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

That's fat!

No way, armour would slow him down make him a sitting target.

If I had a year to train then I might have the physical knowledge required to win the fight.. I shall now begin the necessary montage that will prepare me for Lion fighting... Now where did I put that headband? I can't start the montage without putting on a headband.

Don't forget your music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSMxY6asoE

Kinda reminded if the swordsman from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Like that encounter, I wager it will be quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,027 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Daroxtar wrote: »
    This article is a FAKE and is not from BBC. This article was posted to TURF and since then, this link has spread and the forum is drowning in the extra bandwidth. I suggest you read this for the message by the original author of this article and purchase one of the T-Shirts to thank him for this article. I added the Google Ads to support the extra hits chewing up the bandwidth. Please do NOT click on them if you are not interested in their products.
    aww :(

Overheal wrote: »
    This article is a FAKE and is not from BBC. This article was posted to TURF and since then, this link has spread and the forum is drowning in the extra bandwidth. I suggest you read this for the message by the original author of this article and purchase one of the T-Shirts to thank him for this article. I added the Google Ads to support the extra hits chewing up the bandwidth. Please do NOT click on them if you are not interested in their products.
    aww :(
    Ssshhhh!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

I despaired of this thread when I saw a Gummy Panda urging on the fight between a lion and a man who eats rivets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nocomment

I would rather fight a female lion. Male lion holy **** no way. Male lion will stand looking at you for 30 seconds making sure your not a elephant or a rhino. When they are happy they can win they grab and kill you. Then they may or may not eat you. No a human can't fight a lion unless you put poison all over your body. Then it would be a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

I hope he gets ripped to pieces,animal hatin pirck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I see huge potential in this venture ..... movies, stage shows, the lot (obviously with a different cast).

Now, off to Capitol Records to do a licencing deal on the theme music, the lyrics seem appropriate:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

Lets see here. Search thread... "Paddy Power". Nope, no results. Try again. "Betting". Nothing there either. Fair play to him. 7 to 4 on favourite for the lion I'd say, until we see the man and his fighting form. But methinks he might need a bit of PR. Of course this being a male lion, everyone will go to see the mane attraction :p

(Puns like that mean all bets are off!)

Shtanto wrote: »
    Lets see here. Search thread... "Paddy Power". Nope, no results. Try again. "Betting". Nothing there either. Fair play to him. 7 to 4 on favourite for the lion I'd say, until we see the man and his fighting form. But methinks he might need a bit of PR. Of course this being a male lion, everyone will go to see the mane attraction :p

(Puns like that mean all bets are off!)

This is him. Hardy Buck alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

So is this still happening??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Conor108 wrote: »
    So is this still happening??

After having had some time to paws and reflect about it, I heard he decided against it... ;):D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

as long as its a fair fight and the lion isnt hindered in any way i've no problem with it. may the best man/beast win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Remind me of the Ricky Gervais podcast where they were discussing an event where a group of midgets were made fight a lion. The midgets lost.

I am thinking about taking up prayer again if this fight goes ahead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

some lad 'Egyptian strongman Sayed Essawy' is fighting a lion today, in a few minutes. He only has a shield, I have read they are starving it to weaken it. :S
    Pretty sad. Does he even have a chance with it weakened?

http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,1011907422001_2079262,00.html

lol when it pisses on him at 1:50

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Anywhere to watch this epic duel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Unless he kicks the lion in the nuts, this is gonna end badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Lion must be an AH regular if his solution to all this is to .. blast the guy with piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Tomorrows Headlines:

Idiot man gets ripped to shreds by lion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

snyper wrote: »
    Unless he kicks the lion in the nuts, this is gonna end badly

Its a female, so yeah gonna end quite badly me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Full.Duck wrote: »
    Its a female, so yeah gonna end quite badly me thinks

A female lion is called a lioness

Advertisement