Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gabba: expensive luxury or a great jacket worth the money?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

clod71 wrote: »
    Looks like they have the Gabba on this website www.outdooraccessorieshop.com and compared to the usual wiggle/chainreaction seems to be a lot cheaper. 111 euro for a short sleeve. Very tempted to get one. Anybody bought from this crowd before?

Anybody try and order from these guys? Tried to pick up a few things and I get an error page each time I try to checkout with MasterCard/Visa (both cards are active and valid)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

decrrrrrr wrote: »
    Anybody try and order from these guys? Tried to pick up a few things and I get an error page each time I try to checkout with MasterCard/Visa (both cards are active and valid)

I didn't buy anything yet. Now, I don't know if I ever will... Let me know how you get on please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I've no idea/experience with them, but I'd say they are fine. Try a Google search and all seems legit from previous buyers. Why dont you give them a call and see what you find?
    Sanden Sports Superstores B.V. trading under the name / names: Sanden Sports Superstores B.V.
    Sanden Sports Superstores B.V.
    Brabantstraat 16, 5408 PS Volkel
    The Netherlands
    Phone: 0031 (0) 413256800
    Access: From Monday / Saturday from 9:30 am to 17:30 pm
    E-mail: info@sandenshop.com
    Chamber of Commerce number: 17184701
    VAT number: NL815290676B01

Dutch Home Shopping Organization Address: PO Box 7001, 6710 CB EDE.

Maybe there's a few Dutch on here who can advise?

Got this response from them:
    There the creditcard is not yet activated…It will take some week from know, as this shop is quite new. Please order it on outdooraccessories.nl (dutch shop).

Otherwise, you can pay in advance.

Our apologies for this inconvenience!

Kind regards,
    Monique
    The site is actually http://www.outdooraccessoires.nl/ and not what she quoted.

The order went trough on the dutch site so new Gabba is hopefully on the way.

Will post back here if/when it arrives

No, you'll be too busy hoping for rain and sh1te weather to go out and enjoy it in ;)

• Advertisement

Got this response from them:

The site is actually http://www.outdooraccessoires.nl/ and not what she quoted.

Everything arrived today so no complaints with the site. Will use them again.

Normally a M in most cycling gear, but I find I need to go to L with the Castelli gear. With that in mind, I ordered L and it fits perfectly.

Now to try it out in the rain..

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

Cycle Surgery in Snow&Rock in Dundrum have the Castelli Gabba WS long sleeve for €175, which is great value. It feels absolutely fantastic, but I just can't justify the expenditure. Shame.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

No matter how good a jacket is, surely it will get grubby over time? I find that after a certain point, no amount of washing gets them clean. The road spray, grime, oil, shnots, blood, vomit etc. leave their mark. Not to mention tearing by briars, falls, etc. I find that any yellow flourescent parts also fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

outfox wrote: »
    No matter how good a jacket is, surely it will get grubby over time? I find that after a certain point, no amount of washing gets them clean. The road spray, grime, oil, shnots, blood, vomit etc. leave their mark. Not to mention tearing by briars, falls, etc. I find that any yellow flourescent parts also fade.

So far I've had a strict policy of not vomiting on mine which has worked out quite well thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Then you're not pushing yourself hard enough;)

• Advertisement

Maybe I can make it my season's goal!

I just got my Gabba in the post today. I bought it online from that dutch shop - Sanden - for what I thought it was a very competitive price at 112 euro for the SL. First thing I notice is that it's been Made in Romania (???) ... I know it's a globalised world, but still... is that normal? Or did I just receive a cheap imitation?

My convert is made in Macau for what it's worth.

pelevin wrote: »

Cheerspelevin... Silly me and my romantic ideas that everything Castelli was made in Italy!

pelevin wrote: »

Mine too......bought from US of A though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

Everything arrived today so no complaints with the site. Will use them again.

Normally a M in most cycling gear, but I find I need to go to L with the Castelli gear. With that in mind, I ordered L and it fits perfectly.

Now to try it out in the rain..

Am thinking about pulling the trigger on a Gabba from that Dutch website and just wondering what size you are? Not sure whether to get a L or XL.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 44 alanjgalbraith

As far as I know Castelli sub contract some manufacturing and thus have clothing listed as made in Romania, Macau, Crotia and even USA. For reference, my US purchased Gabba states Made in Macau..... Either way, one of the most versatile item of clothing I have purchased in the past few years, and a must for changeable Irish weather (anything up to 15C IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭ericzeking

clod71 wrote: »
    I just got my Gabba in the post today. I bought it online from that dutch shop - Sanden - for what I thought it was a very competitive price at 112 euro for the SL. First thing I notice is that it's been Made in Romania (???) ... I know it's a globalised world, but still... is that normal? Or did I just receive a cheap imitation?

My GF got me one from Ribble for my birthday, and it's made in Romania...I am considering getting her to send it back though and get it from this site for 111 quid as Ribble fleeced her (I could get some arm warmers and socks thrown in for the price she paid), the only thing I'm wondering is, is that 111 a true price because the top right hand corner shows up as 135 or something?

Don't question it, just go with it :-)

On a sizing question....what size are you and what size did you order? Is it a good fit, etc, etc?
    I have it all primed to order but am worried that I will get the wrong size. I don't want to try one on in the LBS and order online.

Don't question it, just go with it :-)

On a sizing question....what size are you and what size did you order? Is it a good fit, etc, etc?
    I have it all primed to order but am worried that I will get the wrong size. I don't want to try one on in the LBS and order online.

I'm 180cm and 76ish kg, I'd be kind of strongly built or at least I was before I started all this cycling carry on..... I went with medium, it's definitely a race fit but I like it that way and I reckon that'll be better for the winter insulation.

• Advertisement

ericzeking wrote: »
    My GF got me one from Ribble for my birthday, and it's made in Romania...I am considering getting her to send it back though and get it from this site for 111 quid as Ribble fleeced her (I could get some arm warmers and socks thrown in for the price she paid), the only thing I'm wondering is, is that 111 a true price because the top right hand corner shows up as 135 or something?

It says 134 something alright but when you change the country to Ireland it goes to 111 for some strange reason. Now I bought with a friend so we got two of them and we didn't pay the 16 euro shipping fees. If you add in some nanoflex arm warmers you might just get over the threshold after which you don't pay them...
    I'm 170, the medium suits me like a glove.

On a sizing question.... I don't want to try one on in the LBS and order online.

Maybe nasty, but that's exactly what I did, saving myself 70 euro.

The place I got my Gabba has a 20% off sale for 3 days. The convertible version works out at about €117 plus postage - about another €18 if I recall. Only 2 or 3 in each size though
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIPS-24-HOURS-2014-GENUINE-CASTELLI-GABBA-WS-Convertibile-Jersey-Mens-Black-/181361218172?pt=US_Cycling_Clothing&var=&hash=item6fd79e24a9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Did you have to pay customs on top?

Plastik wrote: »
    Did you have to pay customs on top?

none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

word from the wise, stay away from gabba

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why?

Self-asserted wisdom is insufficiently persuasive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭full gas

Go on let's hear your wisdom, this should be good

Sent back the gabba from Ribble and ordered from the Dutchies...after a week or 2 with no word, I sent 2 emails and got a reply saying they are all out of gabbas...my order was confirmed and paid for by card, they offered me a (not similar) Sportful alternative... I declined this and asked if they would fulfil the rest of my order (2*arm warmers) without me getting g caught for shipping...waiting on response. Chain reaction, it is not!

Anyone with any other good prices for a ss gabba? 170 bucks is the best I can find in my size...

• Advertisement

Eric the exact same thing happened to me with the Dutch site. I had mailed them for a week asking for delivery updates and when they finally responded they offered me a short sleeve version or the opportunity to pay a lot more extra for a convertible.
    I was able to point out that his offer was ripping me off. He was not aware that Dutch people pay more for the same jerseys that we do. (something to do with VAT possibly).
    However, to cut a long story short, after much to-ing and fro-ing I told him that he could give me the convertible as a replacement for the long sleeve and no extra payment or just to cancel my order completely.

This guy is getting a convertible gabba. :-)

I would just hold my ground with them and take no sh1t. What do you have to lose? Regardless of what happens you'll still get a refund

Advertisement