Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gabba: expensive luxury or a great jacket worth the money?

Options
  • 26-10-2013 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭

Any objective opinions out there from folk who have a Castelli Gabba?

There are lots of competitor jackets under €200, but the Gabba looks kinda cool - not sure if its race-fit lines will look quite so good on me, mind.

So, shell out on a gabba or save money and buy something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I'm not a long-term cyclist at all so I'm not in a position to compare & contrast but I bought a Gabba convertible last spring from the ebay seller from the US below at a far lower price than available this side of the pond. I see at the moment there's only an XL one available. 162 euros after postage, the list price on Wiggle is 267euros. He seems to regularly have new stock in so there's a good chance there'll be more from that seller again soon.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SHIPS-IN-24HRS-2013-GENUINE-CASTELLI-GABBA-CONVERTIBLE-JERSEY-JACKET-CYCLING-/171027090823?pt=US_Cycling_Clothing&var=&hash=item27d2024d87

I think it's a class piece of kit, light but very effective, & would definitely do the same again if I'd my time over. Not in a position though to offer thoughts on quality or not options by other brands. I'm 5ft 10, about 10 & half to 11 stone & got Large which was right sizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

I thought it was more like a jersey. Do you wear it with a baselayer? Has it ever been overwhelmed by rain?

I thought it was more like a jersey. Do you wear it with a baselayer? Has it ever been overwhelmed by rain?

Heavier than a jersey, prefer to wear it with very lightweight Craft baselayer http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-cool-mesh-superlight-sleeveless-base-layer/

I've been in it in quite heavy rain but maybe not quite downpours but it's handled what I've experienced no bother. Completely windproof. Very versatile with the convert option but too warm even with sleeves off on warm summer days I'd say. Haven't had it thru a winter yet but I'd say with a little layering it'll easily cover all conditions. As I say, very light but certainly a jacket rather than a jersey, & when the Milan San Remo had snow blizzards this spring, the Gabba got a lot of renown for being worn by pro's across teams regardless of whether it was supposed to be team-kit or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

pelevin wrote: »
    I'm not a long-term cyclist at all so I'm not in a position to compare & contrast but I bought a Gabba convertible last spring from the ebay seller from the US below at a far lower price than available this side of the pond. I see at the moment there's only an XL one available. About 165 euros after postage, I see the list price on Wiggle is 267euros. He seems to regularly have new stock in so there's a good chance there'll be more from that seller again soon.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SHIPS-IN-24HRS-2013-GENUINE-CASTELLI-GABBA-CONVERTIBLE-JERSEY-JACKET-CYCLING-/171027090823?pt=US_Cycling_Clothing&var=&hash=item27d2024d87

I think it's a class piece of kit, light but very effective, & would definitely do the same again if I'd my time over. Not in a position though to offer thoughts on quality or not options by other brands. I'm 5ft 10, about 10 half stone & got Large which was right sizing.

DO they require any specific (ie careful) washing etc?

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    DO they require any specific (ie careful) washing etc?

Just the usual kind of instructions on label: 30 degrees C, similar colours, no fabric softener or bleach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

http://www.shopslipstreamsports.com/shop-catalog/2012-garmin-sharp-gabba-config.html
    Don't know if this will suit but you can buy the gabba with garmin logo for 149 dollars which is a bit cheaper than found else. May be worth a look if you don't mind having garmin written across the front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

slfcarro5 wrote: »
    http://www.shopslipstreamsports.com/shop-catalog/2012-garmin-sharp-gabba-config.html
    Don't know if this will suit but you can buy the gabba with garmin logo for 149 dollars which is a bit cheaper than found else. May be worth a look if you don't mind having garmin written across the front

Only in small?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

All Castelli gear is worth the money.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Liking the look of that waterproof jersey. Hate wearing a rain jacket . Pricey all the same but if it does perform well it would worth it IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭nailik

I have a short-sleeve Gabba, which I wear all the time. Even when it's not raining.
    When paired with Nanoflex armwarmers, it is brilliant. Warm yet breathable, windproof and, while not waterproof, will keep you fairly dry in anything but the worst of downpours. Not to mention the fact it doesn't flap about like a sail like a rain coat.

Did I mention it also looks badass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭_Skitso_

nailik wrote: »
    I have a short-sleeve Gabba, which I wear all the time. Even when it's not raining.
    When paired with Nanoflex armwarmers, it is brilliant. Warm yet breathable, windproof and, while not waterproof, will keep you fairly dry in anything but the worst of downpours. Not to mention the fact it doesn't flap about like a sail like a rain coat.

Did I mention it also looks badass?

Same here, have the short sleeve. Wear it all the time with a base layer and maybe more when the temps get lower. Probably add a good pair of arm warmers soon to complete the package like nailik has. Have had it out in heavy showers and no issue, likewise had it out in basking heat and didn't melt.

I have a buy once buy well view on things which I agree can sometimes end with me spending a lot and maybe not getting value but with the Gabba I'm very very happy I indulged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Glad to see a topic on this and thanks for the ebay link

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the sizing (seems the usual -go 1 larger than normally wear) and the warmth of the jacket versus jersey. Im just wondering which is going to get most use. Am i right in saying the jacket with detachable arms is still too warm May/June to August/September and really would only be for outside of those months. If you were to put a number on it what temperature would you think is the starting point at which the jacket even with arms taken off is too warm? I really need a good jersey/jacket but cant decide between the two. I know there the option of buying both but it seems that would be mega overkill!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Yeah, I'm considering the short sleeve jersey and use with bas layer/ATM warmers.

If anyone can confirm that sizing is typical, that would be great. Mostly wearing xxL in vermarc and nalnini, so is that the same for castelli?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Lawls at iPad text correction: base layer and arm warmers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Gabba is great for light rain and windy wet days. But it's not a waterproof jacket, it's very breathable, windproof and fairly waterproof.
    it's great for racing in rain but you'd get cold and wet with it on the commute in "proper rain".
    I have a long and short sleeve and would use them year round when conditions allow.

FWIW, the cheapest site for the jacket is certainly that eBay link, but I wonder what the risk of Customs slapping an import charge and then VAT might be....I can see the convertible jacket is just over €200 at the Italian site http://www.all4cycling.com/ with free shipping and that really puts CRC, Evans and Wiggle in the shade. Note though that Wiggle have £40 off with code (MONEY-OFF-2) for a purchase over £200 till 4pm tomorrow, so that would bring the price back to about €215, shipping now extra with Wiggle

FWIW, the cheapest site for the jacket is certainly that eBay link, but I wonder what the risk of Customs slapping an import charge and then VAT might be....I can see the convertible jacket is just over €200 at the Italian site http://www.all4cycling.com/ with free shipping and that really puts CRC, Evans and Wiggle in the shade. Note though that Wiggle have £40 off with code (MONEY-OFF-2) for a purchase over £200 till 4pm tomorrow, so that would bring the price back to about €215, shipping now extra with Wiggle

I certainly won't claim anything about risk, just that in my case from that seller everything went perfectly smoothly & swiftly with no extra charges. Seems to be some huge discrepancies in pricing all right.

Just searched out of interest and at

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1882.html

it states:

"C. Consignments of Negligible Value
    Consignments not exceeding an intrinsic value of €150 may be imported from outside the EU without payment of Customs Duty. Intrinsic value is the value of the goods alone and does not include insurance and freight)."

That would seem to give the all-clear in this case.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Bambaata wrote: »
    Glad to see a topic on this and thanks for the ebay link

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the sizing (seems the usual -go 1 larger than normally wear) and the warmth of the jacket versus jersey. Im just wondering which is going to get most use. Am i right in saying the jacket with detachable arms is still too warm May/June to August/September and really would only be for outside of those months. If you were to put a number on it what temperature would you think is the starting point at which the jacket even with arms taken off is too warm? I really need a good jersey/jacket but cant decide between the two. I know there the option of buying both but it seems that would be mega overkill!

If you go the jacket route I recommend this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-mortirolo-due-jacket-1/

Started wearing mine once the temp went below 15C, a great jacket. At the moment I'm just wearing an aldi compression vest underneath it. It's water resistant but not water proof so I carry a rain cape as well.

When it gets colder, below 7 or 8 I reckon, I'll wear layers under the jacket. Probably a long sleeve base layer.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Bobshop.de have the non-convertible version in sizes M to 2XL for €179.95 + shipping(9.95)
    €200+ will get you free shipping.

I have it in a large and I have to say the size guide is fairly accurate.
    I'd usually take a chest size between 38" to 40" depending on brand. I'd describe the large in this top as race fit.Tight but not restrictive and I'm only going to have a base layer underneath so it's perfect. Nice arm length.
    I'm 5'11" 75kgs.

• Advertisement

Order placed. Now the wait..........:)

Arrived this morning. 8 days from order on eBay via US. Looks nice, fits nice (XL: 80kg, 185cm, 100cm chest). Great price

Arrived this morning. 8 days from order on eBay via US. Looks nice, fits nice (XL: 80kg, 185cm, 100cm chest). Great price

Glad it all went smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sounds like we're similarly built so am interested to hear on how it fits once you get a chance on the road. Just wondering can many layers go underneath etc

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

I've the x-large. I'm 40-41 chest. It fits snug. Wore it over the feather beds on the crappiest, howling, rain-like-a-sandblaster type of day. I had a craft merino base layer: it did exactly what it said on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Just wondering how ye're getting on with the Gabba's so far folks. I'm thinking I might put in a word for one for Christmas. Want to use it as a winter jersey so I'm thinking of going with the long sleeve or the convertible.

I have a Santini Magic Jacket (think that's whats it's called) which was waterproof enough at the start but had it out for a wet spin Sunday and it didn't do much, seems a few washes haven't done it any favors.

Just wondering if ye think the Gabba is as good as it's supposed to be or are there better options out there and it's all just very good marketing.

Also I'm about 5'11" and 68kg (ish) so I'm thinking a Large would work, any opinions? I take a Large in Giordana jerseys not sure if Castelli is similar fit.

I was out in mine on Sunday in the rain and it held up surprisingly well. I thought the weather had turned too bad for it to cope on it's own but it did.
    I didn't have a choice anyway as I went without a rain jacket.

Most of my route had a headwind so at times I was getting a good pasting with rain. Also went over a few climbs into the mist and rain.
    I only had a Prendas heavy weight base layer underneath it and was kept warm all day.
    Photo0021.jpg

Front of jacket after 2hrs in the rain. Water had stopped beading on the shoulders and parts of the arms but I still wasn't wet inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

I was out in mine on Sunday in the rain and it held up surprisingly well. I thought the weather had turned too bad for it to cope on it's own but it did.
    I didn't have a choice anyway as I went without a rain jacket.

Most of my route had a headwind so at times I was getting a good pasting with rain. Also went over a few climbs into the mist and rain.
    I only had a Prendas heavy weight base layer underneath it and was kept warm all day.

Front of jacket after 2hrs in the rain. Water had stopped beading on the shoulders and parts of the arms but I still wasn't wet inside.

Thanks for that Tax Man, proper hard ba$tard pic there. Was out in same conditions on Sunday but my Santini just wasn't up to the task. Felt cold, especially when the pace wasn't high and I was in middle of group, and didn't keep water out long.

Did you go for the longsleeve version or the convertible?

I have the long sleeve version.

• Advertisement

skerry wrote: »

Also I'm about 5'11" and 68kg (ish) so I'm thinking a Large would work, any opinions? I take a Large in Giordana jerseys not sure if Castelli is similar fit.

I'd be pretty similar size-wise & have a Gabba convertible in Large which I'd say is right for me.

Advertisement